• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

reKon

Banned
If this is truly a soft launch this has to be the softest launch of all time...

(Typing performed by ice cream sandwich voice to text)

I'll check back Thursday, i'm sure some of you guys have hung yourselves. But if your still alive me and my friend are taking a trip to Canada to buy some phones.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'll check back Thursday, i'm sure some of you guys have hung yourselves. But if your still alive me and my friend are taking a trip to Canada to buy some phones.

Why Canada? Is it that much cheaper than importing from say Expansys?

Haha, if it doesn't come out on the 15th hopefully a kind Canadian reseller will sell it. If not a trip to Canada over Xmas break sounds like fun. Do some skiing while sleeping out of a car in below zero weather.

BigFwoosh

Haha, if it doesn't come out on the 15th hopefully a kind Canadian reseller will sell it. If not a trip to Canada over Xmas break sounds like fun. Do some skiing while sleeping out of a car in below zero weather.

At least I would have my Droid to keep me warm. It runs hot all the time now anyway.

Said screw it and went ahead and bought the unlocked from handtec for 660 (700 shipped). Looks like they do international next day air, no idea it would be that fast.

I'm currently on contract with Verizon so I might just tether the GN to my Incredible and possibly do T-mobes' 30 dollar month to month at some point. Don't want to lose unlimited data though.

I came to the realization that 90% of my phone use these days has been following ICS and the Galaxy Nexus news.

No idea what I will do when I actually get it.

Verizon is really making me consider going to canada as well. It's only a 2 hour drive for me. If I don't have one by Friday, I have to wait a whole month :(

I thought it was going to come out last like tuesday so I didn't think it would be a big deal. Stupid verizon.

Menelaus

Banned
a good unlocked smartphone...iPhone 4s

gl5Y8.gif

dankir

I played with it at Best Buy today, I'm upgrading from an iPhone 3G

HOLY FUCKING MACARONI ITS HOT SHIT!?@?!

Love it love it love it.

Currently 357 on the waiting list with Rogers in Quebec. Hoping it's early January though!

DXPett1

So two hardcore iPhone fans I know have been converted thanks to the Galaxy Nexus + Icecream Sandwich. This gets me thinking, what the fuck are half you Android users contemplating, just god damn get one.

...oh wait, you Americans can't.
Finally, Australia has something awesome before the US

I still have one more 'new every 2' left, that applies at costco right?

Nope. Sadly, the "New Every 2" $50 discount isn't applicable at Costco. You can only use NE2 directly through Verizon, so you're better off doing that than saving only $10 through Costco, unless Costco does an accessories pack like they did with the Bionic, which it doesn't look like they're doing with the GN.

And that makes it right? Justifying that high price because it's the norm? Cell phones are overpriced as is, on contract.

But i'll shutup, that's a debate for another thread.
why not do it here?

most of these devices cost around $200 in parts and assembly. then there's stuff like technology licensing, shipping costs, taxes, research & development, software development & support, hardware support, marketing and (of course) profit. they then sell the devices to 3rd parties who pay import duties and other fees, and also want to make a profit when they sell the devices to consumers.

gcubed

why not do it here?

most of these devices cost around $200 in parts and assembly. then there's stuff like technology licensing, shipping costs, taxes, research & development, software development & support, hardware support, marketing and (of course) profit. they then sell the devices to 3rd parties who pay import duties and other fees, and also want to make a profit when they sell the devices to consumers.

look no further then the PS Vita for 299 with a 3g radio in it with specs that destroy any phone on the market today. If you could buy a phone for $400 off contract or $249 on contract, less and less people would be tied to contracts... which is death for the carriers, they'd have to actually compete

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
look no further then the PS Vita for 299 with a 3g radio in it with specs that destroy any phone on the market today. If you could buy a phone for $400 off contract or $249 on contract, less and less people would be tied to contracts... which is death for the carriers, they'd have to actually compete

pretty much this. ironically people thought the vita would cost ~400, myself included.

Maxrunner

I thought that all Nexus phones were unlocked even the ones sold by carriers??also in case this is not true, will the locked ones get the updates at the same time as the unlocked ones?

gcubed

I thought that all Nexus phones were unlocked even the ones sold by carriers??also in case this is not true, will the locked ones get the updates at the same time as the unlocked ones?

they should be unlockable i believe, but only the simfree ones are unlocked

Maxrunner

they should be unlockable i believe, but only the simfree ones are unlocked

no what i mean is if i buy a Vodafone nexus which according to some recent users is locked to Vodafone carrier, and if google launches an OTA update for the phone will the locked users get the update at the same time???

gcubed

no what i mean is if i buy a Vodafone nexus which according to some recent users is locked to Vodafone carrier, and if google launches an OTA update for the phone will the locked users get the update at the same time???

thats a good question. Around the same time is the safest answer. There are builds out there that aren't "google" owned. Only the simfree ones i believe ARE google owned. Also, these are the only ones that got the latest volume bug fix OTA, so its all wait and see. You may not get it at exactly the same time as the unlocked ones, but you will get it before other phones

Maxrunner

thats a good question. Around the same time is the safest answer. There are builds out there that aren't "google" owned. Only the simfree ones i believe ARE google owned. Also, these are the only ones that got the latest volume bug fix OTA, so its all wait and see. You may not get it at exactly the same time as the unlocked ones, but you will get it before other phones

Okay sounds fair, but i thought the whole Nexus family meant that it was a google experience in the sense that it would not be binded with any carrier or other entity whatsoever...

TxdoHawk

Yeah, that was obviously the idealistic plan when Google started this whole idea of the Nexus devices, but I think the reality that smartphone carriers have the last say* is starting to set in.

* -
Until Google saves us all by upending the market with their own cellular carrier, of course. ;)

kehs

Banned
You can't compare a loss leader to a stand alone product.

there is zero proof that the Vita is a loss leader. It may not make them $200 in profit like a phone does for its maker but speculation isnt proof

It's sony.. they're going to be losing money on that thing. They are counting on memory cards and games to make that money back.

The bill of materials alone on that thing will get very close, if not exceed $299

5" OLED screens are not cheap.

We'll have a better estimate when someone gets one and does a tear-down for the proper BoM, but I'm convinced that they're losing at least $50 per unit.

Top Bottom