• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

gcubed

It's sony.. they're going to be losing money on that thing. They are counting on memory cards and games to make that money back.

The bill of materials alone on that thing will get very close, if not exceed $299

5" OLED screens are not cheap.

We'll have a better estimate when someone gets one and does a tear-down for the proper BoM, but I'm convinced that they're losing at least $50 per unit.

still speculation. I dont think Sony as a company is in any shape to be selling products at a loss still. It may be a net 0 for Sony and counting on the memory cards to make them the money, but i dont believe its a negative 50 per unit

The 3g radio is $100-$150 alone.

what the hell are you smoking?

So have there been any changes to the rumored release date yet? Still tomorrow?

White RAZR releasing tomorrow!

look no further then the PS Vita for 299 with a 3g radio in it with specs that destroy any phone on the market today. If you could buy a phone for $400 off contract or $249 on contract, less and less people would be tied to contracts... which is death for the carriers, they'd have to actually compete
specs that destroy? like 0 flash memory vs 16GB nowadays? a sub-HD 960x544 display? a GPU that's only twice as good as in a phone?

and if everyone bought a PS Vita and 0 games or memory cards, Sony would lose how much money?

carriers sell you phones at a discount because they make money on the contract. 3rd parties sell you phones at a discount with a contract because of carrier kickbacks. Sony sells the PS Vita at that price because they plan to make money on memory cards and games.

TxdoHawk

Hasn't Sony gone on-record claiming that it will take something like three years for the Vita hardware sales to start turning a profit? I could've sworn I read something along those lines.

gcubed

and if everyone bought a PS Vita and 0 games or memory cards, Sony would lose how much money?

carriers sell you phones at a discount because they make money on the contract. 3rd parties sell you phones at a discount with a contract because of carrier kickbacks. Sony sells the PS Vita at that price because they plan to make money on memory cards and games.

if you use the supremely scientific ifixit teardown, the 4s costs 188 BOM cost with 16gb of memory. You can MAYBE convince me that the wifi is at 0 or maybe lose a few dollars, the 3G is profitable

again, i didnt say to mimic the price, when i used the example i even gave a cell phone price of 499 (i think thats what i used) vs >$600

Hasn't Sony gone on-record claiming that it will take something like three years for the Vita hardware sales to start turning a profit? I could've sworn I read something along those lines.

indeed it did, i was wrong

if you use the supremely scientific ifixit teardown, the 4s costs 188 BOM cost with 16gb of memory. You can MAYBE convince me that the wifi is at 0 or maybe lose a few dollars, the 3G is profitable

well, i mean, if it cost them just the BOM and nothing else, i'm sure they'd be totally happy!

SimleuqiR

Yeah, that was obviously the idealistic plan when Google started this whole idea of the Nexus devices, but I think the reality that smartphone carriers have the last say* is starting to set in.

* -
Until Google saves us all by upending the market with their own cellular carrier, of course. ;)

I think Google is going to try and become an ISP before trying to burn any bridges with the US wireless carriers. Android is where is at because of Big Red (As much as I hate to admit it). Apple's john was way into deep in AT&T's anus for them to embrace Android, and Verizon decided they needed to put some fire under Apple & AT&T's collective asses.

I think Steve Jobs plan of taking on the US carriers would have worked. Would have loved to see that.

Menelaus

Banned
Has a product ever been launched without as much as a days notice?

He said that they were ready to launch it last Friday, and before they heard the no-go on Thursday, they still weren't allowed to tell anyone. He sounded about as frustrated as I am, which was refreshing.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I called the store on Canal St. (NYC) and they assured me I can come in and pick up a nexus tomorrow. Can't wait to return this Razr, major disappointment.

I can't even pretend that I'm pissed off at Verizon. I have 5 people on a family plan with them, with contracts expiring at varying times, so I'm going to give them my money anyway.

*sigh* I feel like a little bitch.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER

Screen isn't HD

Camera hump makes it kinda awkward to hold, all the weight is at the top, feels like I'm gonna drop it all the time

Blur is invasive and at times sluggish

lots of bloatware

No NFC, non replaceable battery

Basically a laundry list of first world problems. I don't hate the Razr, its a great phone, but its just not as good as a Nexus.

reKon

Banned
Droid-Life people losing it:

"Dear Verizon Galaxy Nexus, you still ain't called or wrote a release date,
I hope you have a chanceI ain't mad - I just think it's F'd up you don't answer fans If you didn't wanna tease me with a promo in October
you didn't have to, but you coulda signed an autograph for Matthew That's what i named my OG Droid, he's only two years old We waited in the blistering cold for you on 12/9, freezing up with 2 battery pulls for four hours and you just said, "No."That's pretty $hitty man - you're like his F'in idol He wants to be just like you man, he likes ICS more than I do
Anyways, I hope you get this Verizon Galaxy Nexus, hit me back,just to chat, on 4G with a strong release date, truly yours, your biggest fan This is Stan"

But there's more!:

Probably a waste of time, but I sent this to the COO, VP/Chief Marketing Officer, and VP of Corporate Communications at VZW through their corporate info site:
Mrs./Ms./Mr. (Name)
I hope that this message reaches you directly but I'm not sure if that is a reasonable expectation given the size of VZW and the number of communications I'm sure you receive.
I and thousands of others have been waiting, patiently, for months now for the eventual release of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone through Verizon Wireless. Since Google's announcement of the phone and the indication that Verizon would be the exclusive carrier, many have been wiating on the phone to replace older phones that are on their last, proverbial, legs. Given the unique nature of this phone as a developer phone for new platforms like Android 4.0, Verizon holds the key to enabling the development community to truly support this new operating system. That development ecosystem is a key factor in the success of the Android platform on it's own and in competition with the Apple IOS ecosystem, which excludes Verizon's standard application and functionality "enhancements" in the form of pre-installed software.
The development community operates in the obscure world of not-so-publicly-available information about systems, release dates, etc. and has been all to aware of previous expected (but unannounced) release dates such as December 9 and now December 15. That same development community, which is keenly attuned to this kind of information, is becoming increasingly frustrated with repeasted delays of the Galaxy Nexus product and the repeated releases, in shorter time frames, of products like the white Motorola Razr.
Truly, the lack of any commitment to a specific release date or communication to those that are anxious to send Verizon their money to acquire this phone is creating significant animosity. Put bluntly, "Release by the end of the year" doesn't cut it.
There may be an internal thought that there are other Android and IOS phones available and people can just buy those if they need a phone. The development and enthusiast communities will not buy another phone when they know what is supposed to come. They will, on the other hand, leave Verizon, buy unlocked phones and go to other carriers. They will make other arrangements that do not include Verizon Wireless and its LTE platform.
In short, some additional and more detailed communication and a commitment to a release date are in order. An olive branch of sorts to those that want to send their money to Verizon is overdue.
I appreciate your time and any information you can offer.
Thank you,
Dan B.

BrettWeir

None of this makes any sense at all. Stores have had stock for over a week. So not like they can change anything unless they are waiting for an ICS update to something making the phone unstable or issues with the 4G network.

Top Bottom