• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

SimleuqiR

mine's giving me a data usage warning that I cant get rid of. I have unlimited data, btw

adda2_ics-data-usage.jpg

Did you set a limit or did the phone come with one?

Oozer3993

I'm currently downloading all my apps on my Nexus. I had trouble unlocking the bootloader, but eventually got it to work. I'm going to root it as soon as I get everything downloaded. I've barely had any time to play with it yet, so I can't give any impressions of the battery life or signal strength.

I think Apple owns a patent on that.
Is the only logical reason why this hasn't been fixed in the Gmail app.

Seriously. It's been my biggest annoyance with Gmail on Android ever since I got my Droid X. Fix your shit Google!

Does anyone remember the settings that an early Nexus adopter used to make it look like the soft keys were integrated in the background (making them look like they're "floating")?

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I'm seeing a backorder notice on my order on LetsTalk. I ordered this morning around 10 AM EST. Apparently, you can cancel by email, but now I'm thinking I'd rather save $95 (I'd get it for $269.99 from VZW directly) than get it a week or two sooner.

Damn it if it isn't tempting though. They're across the street from my office building. :/

Menelaus

Banned
My impressions thus far.

+ Screen - Huge, beautiful OLED. Really like the curve, makes the phone very pocketable
+ Software buttons - gives you more room to cram stuff on the big screen, nice context sensitive
+ Video chatting - really good front camera, tested in low light and kept a good framerate. even tested over 4G, worked flawlessly.
+ Camera's shutter lag and pano mode - Nicer than expected on both fronts
+ Memory - Plug and play with Windows 7, can drag and drop onto onboard memory

- Speaker volume - Quite low at the max, had read that's a common complaint
- Earpiece volume - Again, quite a bit lower than the X's speaker at max
- Volume button placement - I end up hitting volume down every time I unlock the phone because the buttons are directly across from each other on the sides
- Headphone jack placement - On the bottom of the phone, kinda dumb, and inconvenient in the car when using an aux cable
- Back panel - Slippery plastic, feels cheap. The phone in general is very slippery. I might need a case, almost dropped it three times now.

Can't comment on yet
Battery life - ordered an extended battery, that'll be a better benchmark since i had one in my X
Face unlock - haven't tried it, won't ever use it
Android Beam/NFC - don't know anyone else with one yet

All in all, an interesting phone. I can tell I'll miss the ruggedness of the X already. This feels much more like an iphone in my hands.

garath

So my phone is coming but so far the negatives I'm hearing are:

- Low volume
- Weaker signal strength
- cheaper feeling than a motorola phone

Those are some pretty hefty negatives. I'll have to see how much of a gamebreaker that is for myself. There's always the Verizon return policy.

Menelaus

Banned
I would say that the positives of the screen outweigh any of those negatives. Everything is servicable...nothing game breaking.

SimleuqiR

My impressions thus far.

+ Screen - Huge, beautiful OLED. Really like the curve, makes the phone very pocketable
+ Software buttons - gives you more room to cram stuff on the big screen, nice context sensitive
+ Video chatting - really good front camera, tested in low light and kept a good framerate. even tested over 4G, worked flawlessly.
+ Camera's shutter lag and pano mode - Nicer than expected on both fronts
+ Memory - Plug and play with Windows 7, can drag and drop onto onboard memory

- Speaker volume - Quite low at the max, had read that's a common complaint
- Earpiece volume - Again, quite a bit lower than the X's speaker at max
- Volume button placement - I end up hitting volume down every time I unlock the phone because the buttons are directly across from each other on the sides
- Headphone jack placement - On the bottom of the phone, kinda dumb, and inconvenient in the car when using an aux cable
- Back panel - Slippery plastic, feels cheap. The phone in general is very slippery. I might need a case, almost dropped it three times now.

Can't comment on yet
Battery life - ordered an extended battery, that'll be a better benchmark since i had one in my X
Face unlock - haven't tried it, won't ever use it
Android Beam/NFC - don't know anyone else with one yet

All in all, an interesting phone. I can tell I'll miss the ruggedness of the X already. This feels much more like an iphone in my hands.

I think the volume is software related, or at the very least the files are low. I ported over a cellphone ringtone that I've had since the original iPhone was released. I use it as my alarm clock since Google killed the Rooster Alarm clock sound - is the only thing that woke me up. That said this cellphone ringtone is loud as shit on the GN. So I wouldn't blame the speaker. I think the ringtone and notification sounds have really low decibels.

garath

I think the volume is software related, or at the very least the files are low. I ported over a cellphone ringtone that I've had since the original iPhone was released. I use it as my alarm clock since Google killed the Rooster Alarm clock sound - is the only thing that woke me up. That said this cellphone ringtone is loud as shit on the GN. So I wouldn't blame the speaker. I think the ringtone and notification sounds have really low decibels.

That's really good to hear. Software can be fixed.

Menelaus

Banned
I moved over my custom tones too, and they are all noticeably softer at max volume than on the X. To be fair, the X had a screamingly loud speaker.

Also, gingerly place your finger over the speaker grill...it almost completely silences the sound. That's bad.

tfur

WTF is this? Why would they do that?

I have 2 alarms set for Rooster!

Upgrade cancelled...

SimleuqiR

I moved over my custom tones too, and they are all noticeably softer at max volume than on the X. To be fair, the X had a screamingly loud speaker.

Also, gingerly place your finger over the speaker grill...it almost completely silences the sound. That's bad.

I think compared to the Nexus One, it is as loud. Don't know how loud the X is, but I don't find it low at all. Specially with the right ringtones. I'm using mostly Portal 2 ringtones and notification sounds, and they sound loud to me. :::shrugs:::

WTF is this? Why would they do that?

I have 2 alarms set for Rooster!

Upgrade cancelled...

Yup. It's gone. But you can always install/extract it from the Nexus One CM7 Rom.

Donos

Thanks for impression but that point is not a con for me. I always carry my smartphone(htc desire hd, also with bottom plcement) in my jeans backpocket and when i pick it out of it, it's already turned around correctly in my hand . or i just pull half of it out to take a quick peek on the screen and can let it slip right back.

Menelaus

Banned
Anyone else unable to add a Facebook account sync? I hit facebook on the add account page, and it just dumps me back to the account listing.

SimleuqiR

Anyone else unable to add a Facebook account sync? I hit facebook on the add account page, and it just dumps me back to the account listing.

Google and Facebook had a falling due to FB not letting you export contacts on to Gmail. You were able to access your Gmail contacts from FB, so why not the other way around? That's because FB feels they own your contacts.

So that's why there is no Facebook contact sync in Nexus devices other than the Nexus One.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/22/google-disables-contact-sync-in-facebook-for-android-only-nexus/

Thaedolus

Better believe I drove straight to Verizon after work and bought myself one of these:

381085_589592311349_122800637_31999861_2118174021_n.jpg

Step 1: Buy Galaxy Nexus LTE

Step 2: Post picture on NeoGAF

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hmmm, someone is willing to sell me this phone up here in Canada for 650 flat. But no receipt.... Seems like a bad idea....

Blackhead

Redarse
Terribad idea, don't do it.

Why?! Not all the listings on eBay have receipts... :/

oh hey Joshua Topolsky with the rant

Horseshit

Last night I tweeted at John Gruber and MG Siegler: "What a load of horseshit. All due respect, but horseshit."

The tweet was in reference to a post on Daring Fireball citing MG's "review" of the Galaxy Nexus. Now, I won't take issue with his review overall. He's entitled to his opinions, and while I certainly disagree with many of his points, I won't knock him because we don't see eye to eye.

I want to state clearly that this isn't about MG and John, who I think are smart guys with lots of really spot on opinions and observations. This is about a particular line of thinking that I fundamentally disagree with (and think is ultimately damaging to our community)...

And it just gets better from there.

The most offensive part of the MG 'review' was

At some point, Google may simply have to acknowledge that iOS looks and feels better than Android because Apple's entire fabric is woven with design, tight integration, and attention to detail. Google's strengths are elsewhere; they should embrace that.
*smh*

thespot84

so I let mine die (0% batter) it shut off. I plugged it in, I get a simply white battery filling animation for a few seconds, then the screen turns off (I figure it'll charge faster if the phone isn't on).

Other than that there's no indication it's charging, or when it'll be done. I wish the LED would be red or something. I feel like there's definitely a shortage of LED notifications on the thing...

Blackhead

Redarse
so I let mine die (0% batter) it shut off. I plugged it in, I get a simply white battery filling animation for a few seconds, then the screen turns off (I figure it'll charge faster if the phone isn't on).

Other than that there's no indication it's charging, or when it'll be done. I wish the LED would be red or something. I feel like there's definitely a shortage of LED notifications on the thing...

I believe there is an app for that. I can't for the life of me recall the name right now though.

thespot84

I believe there is an app for that. I can't for the life of me recall the name right now though.

I vaguely remember that too.

Update: after it's been charging for a while the white animation has the battery level starting at what looks like 10% rather than 0, so it's clearly charging. 10% took about 15 minutes. I'm using the stock 1A charger.

Salaadin

Is there any easy way to transfer the apps on my Droid Incredible to the Nexus tomorrow or is logging into the Market and letting it do its thing the best option?

Fatalah

Is there any easy way to transfer the apps on my Droid Incredible to the Nexus tomorrow or is logging into the Market and letting it do its thing the best option?
Good question. Google should bring over Chrome's extension syncing ideology to apps. Kind of perplexing that an app syncing solution isn't already in place. Come on Andrex!

Oozer3993

The phone will start downloading all your Market apps right after you sign in with your Google account. You don't have to do anything.

Husker86

Good question. Google should bring over Chrome's extension syncing ideology to apps. Kind of perplexing that an app syncing solution isn't already in place. Come on Andrex!

Apps do automatically download...it's their data that doesn't sync between devices. Would be nice.

It does?! Is that an ICS feature? That didn't happen when I factory reset my Gingerbread Incredible...

Started in Gingerbread.

thespot84

Just make sure when you set it up you choose to have google back up your data. Also make sure it's being backed up to google on your INC. Beware though, I did this and 120 apps downloaded and destroyed my battery.... (as would be expected over 4g)

Top Bottom