• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

jokkir

Can the Galaxy Nexus work on the AWS network or whatever T-Mobile uses?

I plan on upgrading my Nexus S once I have the money for it but don't plan on switching carriers.

Circle T

Verizon won't bump my upgrade up a month because the phone is "too new" :(
Weird. When I was there, they said I was eligible for the upgrade price if I wanted. My official date isn't until like Feb of 2013. I still paid outright for it, because I didn't want to start a new contract.

Okay, got back with mine. I got the extended battery and you can't even tell, it doesn't stick out any. It isn't done charging yet but at 50% it says it would run at normal use for 24 hours. I'm going to chalk that up to system calculating that strangely and the battery not even having a full charge, so yeah don't even take that with salt, don't take it at all. There is some update that needs to install as soon as I turned it on, so I'll have to get that here soon.

It feels super nice and fits in my pocket perfectly. Really happy with it so far.

rozay

Banned
Can the Galaxy Nexus work on the AWS network or whatever T-Mobile uses?

I plan on upgrading my Nexus S once I have the money for it but don't plan on switching carriers.
Verizon's model no, global version (everywhere but the USA lol) yes for now. There was a variant that went through the FCC that only had at&t 3G bands but it hasn't shown up for sale. The global one supports every 3G band.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wonder if Verizon is noticing that all it takes to get lines outside the doors of their stores is to release a phone without all their branded bloatware.

The only evidence they would have for that is the iPhone, since the iPhone is the only phone VZW released without branded bloatware.

Circle T

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/1...us-extended-battery-gsm-comparisons-and-more/

Droid-Life said:
Quick Hands-on Gallery: Verizon 4G LTE Galaxy Nexus – Extended Battery, GSM Comparisons, and More

We finally have the Verizon 4G LTE Galaxy Nexus in hand and the “how to” videos of fun are already processing. But before we get to those, we thought we would toss out a glamour photo shoot of the device, since it is just so beautiful. And for the heck of it, we compared it to the GSM version, which as you can see from the pictures is basically identical. The icon for the lock switch is slightly different and it’s about .54mm thicker – other than that, you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between them.

After that, we took some shots of the device with the extended battery inside. All I can say, is you may as well pick one up since it adds almost zero thickness to the phone, but could get you another hour or so of use out of it.

Oh, and we tried to swap the “Google” branded GSM back onto the LTE version and failed miserably. They are just slightly different, although with a little scraping, we may be able to get it. Will report back after a littler hackery.

Shit. I'm going to buy one anyway, and see how it fits.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just got an email from Google on how to buy the phone. I registered for it when the site went live.

It's a link to the site and it only points to Verizon. WTF

kehs

Banned
Just got an email from Google on how to buy the phone. I registered for it when the site went live.

It's a link to the site and it only points to Verizon. WTF

Where else would you use a quality piece of hardware like the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung with 4G LTE for Verizon?

Blackhead

Redarse
Does any site have a gallery of all the pictures of lines for the Galaxy Nexus?

Is any tech site actually reporting that there are lines?

NH Apache

Banned
Now that i think of it i was never asked to pick a phone number when ordering on there.

Yeah...totally confusing. I tried to go through the first time and it said I wasn't eligible for upgrade. Then, it let me through anyways with the 145 price. I fully expect to get a phone call from them.

Druz

People seem to be complaining about a much poorer signal than their original phones. I'm picking mine up soon.

Does ordering off letstalk work for people not eligible for an upgrade? It hasn't asked for a phone number yet but I have a feeling that I might see a large bill from Verizon.

Oh there it is.

crustikid

success! will post thoughts soon.

also noticing poorer signal strength, but i am installing the update now. i moved over from an iphone 4, att, and has no service in my cube...we'll have to see with the GN....

Sky Chief

Just got mine, fortunately they saved one becauze they turned away about five people because they were sold out. Really happy, screen rocks and this thing is super thin.

Circle T

Been over an hour. I guess not hearing anything yet is good news! ;-)
LOL, it is still charging. It only had about 15% when it was powered on the first time, and was almost completely empty after I got done playing with it, setting things up, installing apps, etc. At 97% now, so will be unplugging soon.

reKon

Banned
I'll let you know about the battery life too. I don't think I'll be getting into 4g yet (I'm not even sure if this area has it). I will try to purposely play with the phone a lot because there were some days where I didn't use my incredible too much and it was able to get up to 20 hours in one charge.

protip: use a charger from a tablet (touchpad, et. al) to minimize charging time

I use that for my Thunderbolt. It gets really hot when tethering so I leave it right next an open window. It used to go up to 49 degrees Celsius when it was just sitting on a desk but now it stays around 33.

gcubed

Well, on my GSM Tuna I get about 15 hours of use per charge. With the last 4 or so hours of that charge being of very high activity (music, browsing, texting, emails, calls, and just fucking around with the phone). So the screen and wifi get a lot of use.

I could easily get 24 of none extreme use out of the battery, probably more.

well yes, i have the GSM as well, it gets great battery life, i'm curious as to what the LTE does to it. I'd also be curious if the backs are swappable and you can use the higher capacity VZW battery in the GSM version with minimal size gain

edit... thanks for the post circlet, i failed to read the rest of the thread before posting re: battery cover/battery

Salaadin

Anyone use swype on this? I hear the ICS keyboard is very nice but Im not sure I can give up swype.

I wish tomorrow would get here already so I can stop thinking about this stuff and get to use it myself.

I'm afraid my transformer charger will blow this thing up. It's like 5A!

Remember folks, those ratings on the chargers are MAXIMUMS. It means it will supply the correct amount of current UP TO 5A. It will NOT try to shove 5A worth of current into your device unless your device wants it or something fucks up. Feel free to use any charger regardless of its current rating.

Voltage, however, is a different story. In this case, microUSB chargers are standardized to 4.55-5.25V, so they will all work.

As far as I know, the Nexus devices don't have a resistor bridge that singles out chargers (like Apple products do), so almost any USB charger should work.

Gunsmithx

I plan to pick one of these up but I have a question, I know rooting your phone will void your warranty but will unlocking the bootloader? is there even a point to unlock it if your not going to root right away?

gcubed

Remember folks, those ratings on the chargers are MAXIMUMS. It means it will supply the correct amount of current UP TO 5A. It will NOT try to shove 5A worth of current into your device unless your device wants it or something fucks up. Feel free to use any charger regardless of its current rating.

Voltage, however, is a different story. In this case, microUSB chargers are standardized to 4.55-5.25V, so they will all work.

As far as I know, the Nexus devices don't have a resistor bridge that singles out chargers (like Apple products do), so almost any USB charger should work.

yes, i dont believe you will get more power unless your phone is set up to take more power (using the extra wire for another rail of power). The phone charges pretty fast, i didn't notice much difference swapping between my 1 and 2A chargers

I plan to pick one of these up but I have a question, I know rooting your phone will void your warranty but will unlocking the bootloader? is there even a point to unlock it if your not going to root right away?
you can unroot and relock your bootloader, so the only thing that would cause an issue is if the damage was directly from being unrooted or unlocked. There really isn't a big reason to root/unlock right now (eh, sorry, speaking of the simfree GSM version, there would be reasons to root a carrier branded one)

Futureman

if I have a Verizon early upgrade in June, does that mean I can ONLY go through an official Verizon store?

or could I go to any Verizon vendor? I'm hoping I can grab a Nexus for around $99 on contract by June.

Gunsmithx

you can unroot and relock your bootloader, so the only thing that would cause an issue is if the damage was directly from being unrooted or unlocked. There really isn't a big reason to root/unlock right now (eh, sorry, speaking of the simfree GSM version, there would be reasons to root a carrier branded one)

ah ok, someone had told me that verizon or samsung would know if I did that and use it to deny warranty(unless it's not an issue with vzw's warranty plan)

Circle T

protip: use a charger from a tablet (touchpad, et. al) to minimize charging time

I used a touchpad charger, battery went from 13% to 100% in about 30 minutes. YMMV, GSM version, aim away from face, yadda yadda yadda

Yup, my TouchPad charger is the one I have next to my bed, that I use to charge all my stuff at home. It's 2A, and charges things up quite swiftly.

thespot84

what about getting google wallet on the thing? not that i've ever seen an NFC checkout stand anywhere ever, but it'd be fun to have

EDIT: Ah nm, looks like it's backed into the rom, so I'd need to be unlocked. Balderdash.

Menelaus

Banned
Just to comment on signal strength, mine is clearly weaker than my Droid X was. I used to get full bars of 3G in my office, getting 2 now. LTE only gives me 1.

The speed difference between 1 and 2 bars of LTE is approximately 8mbps. Ridiculous!

Top Bottom