• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It does?! Is that an ICS feature? That didn't happen when I factory reset my Gingerbread Incredible...

It used to work for me. But then it stopped. I could never resuscitate it. You're not alone.

rozay

Banned
Never in a million years would i have expected topolsky to post an article like that. I am so fucking sick of Gruber's android posts and I'm glad someone (yes I know they're friends) is willing to call him on his bullshit.

womp

I just put my X back to factory settings (Giving it to a family member in replacement of a Nexus) coming off of a custom ROM and poof, apps downloaded fine.

But yes, it can be intermittent sometimes.

kehs

Banned
The problem with the auto population is that there's no indication it's happening, nor options for it. There should be a prompt that says "Do you want to download all your 400 apps?"

womp

The problem with the auto population is that there's no indication it's happening, nor options for it. There should be a prompt that says "Do you want to download all your 400 apps?"

The notification bar tells you when it initiates but yeah, I just assume the thing is going to start sucking down apps automatically the moment I log in.

Circle T

For me, it's always seemed to "know" what apps I'm currently using. I have a TON of apps tied to my Google account on the Market, but very few of those are currently used apps. This morning, when it did the whole "Download your apps" thing, it only downloaded the stuff that I currently have installed on my other phones. It has never auto-downloaded everything from the beginning of time for me.

Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

womp

Finally? That's good to hear.

It always has?

Seriously...It did this even on my OG Droid and has done it on my X as well. I can't remember saying "finally" but yeah, it's done it for as long as I can recall? :)

BTW, I generally use custom ROMs so maybe it is a 'feature' of them but I doubt it. But even last night on my X when I factory installed there was a notifier under Gingerbread.

kehs

Banned
For me, it's always seemed to "know" what apps I'm currently using. I have a TON of apps tied to my Google account on the Market, but very few of those are currently used apps. This morning, when it did the whole "Download your apps" thing, it only downloaded the stuff that I currently have installed on my other phones. It has never auto-downloaded everything from the beginning of time for me.

I'll be honest, I haven't done a fresh setup in about a year, so my comment was apparently outdated. The market used to just download everything.

Would still be nice for there to be a prompt.

It always has?

Seriously...It did this even on my OG Droid and has done it on my X as well. I can't remember saying "finally" but yeah, it's done it for as long as I can recall? :)

BTW, I generally use custom ROMs so maybe it is a 'feature' of them but I doubt it. But even last night on my X when I factory installed there was a notifier under Gingerbread.

Wait, I know it says "installing XXX Desktop hotties" but I meant more like "We're restoring all your previous apps 4 out of 5 finished" type thing.

Feep

Banned
Posting this from a Nexus. Feels good, man.

Questions:

1. Where is Swype? Can't find it on the Marketplace.

2. Does this thing have a notification LED, like the OG Droid? I don't see one...

womp

Correct.

Whatever was currently installed on your last device.

Circle T

I'll be honest, I haven't done a fresh setup in about a year, so my comment was apparently outdated. The market used to just download everything.

Would still be nice for there to be a prompt.
Or it could just bring up a list, and let you check a box for the apps you want to redownload.

Mafro

Questions:

2. Does thing have a notification LED, like the OG Droid? I don't see one...
1. Swype isn't compatible yet due to the screen size

2. The LED is below the screen. Download LightFlow to customise it.

womp

Questions:

2. Does this thing have a notification LED, like the OG Droid? I don't see one...

1. Can't help you there off hand but you may want to look into SlideIT as well. It was even a $0.10 app this week.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dasur.slideit

Bah, back to full price...Supposedly fantastic however.

2. Yes, on the bottom center under the screen and below the glass.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Co-worker upgraded his OG Droid with the SGN today. I've been rocking an EVO 4G since it came out.

Wow, its big, fast, and looks amazing. The screen is phenomenal. And LTE? Whoa. Screw you WiMax/Sprint. Check out one of his speed tests:

lteu.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I will literally buy the GN right now if someone can find me a GSM model for $600. Come on. Come on!

Thaedolus

So no facebook pictures in my contacts? Can't find the option in the app and seeing as how the facebook account button does nothing...

MercuryLS

Banned
So i played with the GN today, fucking thing is HUGE. Way too fucking big, what the hell. It's nice to see Android actually run nicely as opposed to dogshit like every other release. Hopefully ICS isn't garbage on my Nexus S.

Bboy AJ

So no facebook pictures in my contacts? Can't find the option in the app and seeing as how the facebook account button does nothing...

I don't know if it still works but try SyncMyPix. I think that's what it's called.

thespot84

i took a screenshot, it showed up in my albums in the gallery but won't upload to google+...wth?

EDIT, nm, just took forever:

1AFfC.png

quite a change coming from the OG droid.

Thaedolus

So what's a good place to try and buy this instore tomorrow? Best buy?

I walked right up to the counter at my Verizon store and bought it today. I'd say with the weird delays and lead time most places should have a decent stock. Go with wherever you get the best price (Verizon gave me the corporate discount on my account so I got it for ~$245)

Feep

Banned
More questions!

So, I saw the notification LED light up for a quarter of a second when I received a text, but it did not continuously blink to let me know I had received it. Can this be enabled?

And why doesn't the browser have a soft key for a menu? Super annoying.

I walked right up to the counter at my Verizon store and bought it today. I'd say with the weird delays and lead time most places should have a decent stock. Go with wherever you get the best price (Verizon gave me the corporate discount on my account so I got it for ~$245)

Thank you, also, can anyone recommend some screen protectors? I couldn't find any compatible SGP ones.

Oozer3993

Any large white space on my screen looks, for lack of a better term, kinda textured. It kinda looks like a piece of paper. Is it supposed to look like that? Is that the revenge of Pentile, or is there something screwy with my screen? And, for whatever reason, my phone won't connect to LTE. It only does 3G. I checked verizonwireless.com and my are is awash in 4G coverage. but my phone just ignores it. It's set to LTE/CDMA data in the settings, so it's not that. And I saw it connect to 4G at the store during checkout. But it hasn't connected since.

More questions!

So, I saw the notification LED light up for a quarter of a second when I received a text, but it did not continuously blink to let me know I had received it. Can this be enabled?

The LED pulses, but there's a long time between blinks. Like 15 to 20 seconds. At least it does that for email.

There's a menu key on the top right of the Browser. It looks like 3 boxes stacked on top of each other. Or are you talking about something else?

SimleuqiR

More questions!

So you dont have 3 vertical dots on the top right of the browser ?
Also , go to the labs settings and set the on screen controls.

Thaedolus

More questions!

Whenever you touch the screen the address bar will show up at the top. On the right side there are some dots that are the menu button

EDIT: See above

Feep

Banned
It seems inconsistent...in many other apps, the three dots are at the bottom. And on certain screena, like SecondApps GAF, touching the screen always hits a link... = (

Also, SwiftKey's predicting bar doesn't seem to appear when typing in the browser...?

Sorry for all the questions. Having a lot of fun figuring things out.

Edit: The Labs "rightside shortcuts" thing is awesome, and totally solves my problems with that.

thespot84

So you dont have 3 vertical dots on the top right of the browser ?
Also , go to the labs settings and set the on screen controls.

if you make the jump from GB or froyo to this I could see it being confusing. And sometimes it's on the bottom (I'm looking at you gmail) but once you find it it's fine. The did the same thing in honeycomb

Husker86

It seems inconsistent...in many other apps, the three dots are at the bottom. And on certain screena, like SecondApps GAF, touching the screen always hits a link... = (

Scrolling all the way to the top of the browser window should reveal the button as well...I'm going off my Honeycomb experience though.

thespot84

Scrolling all the way to the top of the browser window should reveal the button as well...I'm going off my Honeycomb experience though.

If the dots are at the bottom (in line with the soft buttons) best I can tell that means that the app wasn't written for HC or ICS, and the OS is taking the menu functionality and wrapping it into something it understands. If the three dots are NOT in line with the soft buttons, it's an ICS or HC app.

rozay

Banned
Any large white space on my screen looks, for lack of a better term, kinda textured. It kinda looks like a piece of paper. Is it supposed to look like that? Is that the revenge of Pentile, or is there something screwy with my screen?
Pentile has a odd texture that I can clearly see on gray colored backgrounds (not the pentile layout) I don't think I've seen it on white though. If your LTE isn't connecting you should try to get another phone and see how the screen is on that.

Bboy AJ

I am so annoyed that I am going to cancel TMo and go on Verizon right now got dammit

edit: On phone with TMo to cancel

My upgrade isn't due til July, but my Dad's line has been eligible for a while now. What are the odds that Verizon would let me extend my contract and get an upgrade on my personal line, too?

why hasn't the dude that makes videos of his hand with things that are shaped like galnex made a video of the phone yet?

Also MG just shit talk JT back some real talk up in my google plus

gcubed

Yup, definitely seeing it on gray screens.

Def dont notice on white but the worst gray gradient is in the market. Its pretty bad. Though it looks great everywhere else. Ive had multiple people who use my phone to look at pictures and comment on how beautiful it is

Top Bottom