• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Husker86

My upgrade isn't due til July, but my Dad's line has been eligible for a while now. What are the odds that Verizon would let me extend my contract and get an upgrade on my personal line, too?

Mine is due in January and they wouldn't let me :( I'm still gonna call them every day this month though!

Mine is due in January and they wouldn't let me :( I'm still gonna call them every day this month though!

Some hope for us:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20342929&postcount=37

No line at my local vzw store when i went there at about 1pm but the rep i was speaking to told me they only had about 4 left out of a shipment of 40. I was prepared to pay full retail for the phone because i dont have an upgrade until feb 2013, and when the guy scanned it he immediately got a weird look on his face, he called over the manager and the manager looked over the computer for a minute and then he looks at me and says" Well, apparently the computer wants to give it to you for the 2 year contract price and not 650. Merry Christmas!"

Husker86

Yeahhh, well if that "bug" happens to go unfixed, I don't see myself going up to the counter and pretending to pay full price for it haha.

I was debating paying full price but considering the ETF+Upgrade price ($350+300) is exactly the same price as the phone outright ($650), and with the ETF going down over time, I just cannot justify full price. Though since you have a bit longer to go than me it might be worth trying. I just hope the reps get tired of me. Worst case I bet they'll bump me up at the end of the month when I'm only ~2 weeks away.

edit: So did that guy sign a new contract or just get it for $300?

Nobby

I tried to buy one today full retail/no commitment from the corporate verizon store and they told they would only sell to new lines/upgrades. Did this happen to anyone else? I thought I would just be able to go in and buy it any method I want but instead I got the run around.

Husker86

I tried to buy one today full retail/no commitment from the corporate verizon store and they told they would only sell to new lines/upgrades. Did this happen to anyone else? I thought I would just be able to go in and buy it any method I want but instead I got the run around.

Stores do that but it's not policy, I think they just get more for contract extensions. Are you sure it was a corporate store? You could report them to CS if you feel like wasting a few minutes.

Husker86

I'm considering getting it full price and not extending, but damn does anyone else feel "wrong" paying upwards of six bills for a PHONE?

I think the worst I've gone was $550. $650 would be really pushing it for me...

Wait eBay/CL out for a few weeks and at least you'll save some

Nobby

Stores do that but it's not policy, I think they just get more for contract extensions. Are you sure it was a corporate store? You could report them to CS if you feel like wasting a few minutes.

Verizon's store locator said it was a corporate store, not a huge deal though since it was really close to my work so I didn't really waste too much time. I figured they were doing that since the phone just came out but lame nonetheless. Might just go in next week or something and speak to somebody else once hype dies down a little bit from launch.

thespot84

I'm considering getting it full price and not extending, but damn does anyone else feel "wrong" paying upwards of six bills for a PHONE?

I understand the sentiment but this phone, and even the previous generation, are just small computers. Given the fact that this has better guts than my first gen netbook (and a higher res screen....lol), it's not so crazy.

The one thing I WOULD expect however is a much lower monthly bill for cell service if i were to bring my own phone to the party.

Circle T

Battery Update

I'm a little over 8hrs in on my first full charge, and even with that "New phone, can't put it down" attitude, and after installing a bunch of apps and setting them up, I still have 38% left. This is also with the screen at 100% brightness, just to see how long it lasts. If I put the screen back down to my usual ~35% brightness, get back to normal daily usage, this thing will easily get 12-15hrs of thorough use. I like to leave most things on, and syncing, so slightly lower battery life is my expected trade-off. I'm content with that.

I understand the sentiment but this phone, and even the previous generation, are just small computers. Given the fact that this has better guts than my first gen netbook (and a higher res screen....lol), it's not so crazy.

The one thing I WOULD expect however is a much lower monthly bill for cell service if i were to bring my own phone to the party.

But that doesn't happen...? does it?

Has anyone tried the voice typing? It's pretty good. You can speak in a regular tone and it translates very well. In real time no less.

rozay

Banned
But that doesn't happen...? does it?
If you bring your own phone, you're still technically charged a subsidy fee even if you aren't subsidizing a phone. Only carrier that offered a plan without the free was T-Mobile with their even more+ plans.

at&t users can go with cheaper data plans to lessen the blow with nexus phones or the intetnational GS2.

3fp1b.png

So, I caved and bought a Tuna. I am such a consumer whore. And how!

Anyways, if you follow the procedure to manually root the phone, since there are no automated methods yet, you will eventually reach the bootloader screen.

You'll see these gems on the bootloader screen:

PRODUCT NAME - tuna
VARIANT - *

If you own a GSM Tuna, your variant is maguro. If you have an LTE Tuna like me, your variant is toro. Awesome.

Yes, this means the Verizon version of the Tuna has a different device name. It has a different radio inside, and also in order to identify properly to the Android Market as a Verizon device it has to have a different name than the GSM version.

The texturing is an effect of the PenTile matrix. It's one reason why PenTile is shit. Fortunately Verizon is giving us until January 14th to decide if we want our Tunas or not, since it's the extended holiday return period right now. So if you can't stand it, return the phone, it will never get any better.

For those curious about why you qualified for an early upgrade and don't know why, it's because of the Annual Upgrade feature. The sales guy explained it to me in the store, once every 2 years you can upgrade your phone after only 1 year instead of 2. This is the replacement for New Every Two, so basically you can upgrade on a 2 years -> 1 year -> 2 years cycle if you get the Annual Upgrade. I'm not sure if only certain accounts qualify, I have the corporate discount through my employer (which is why my Tuna cost $250).

FireCloud

Just make sure when you set it up you choose to have google back up your data. Also make sure it's being backed up to google on your INC. Beware though, I did this and 120 apps downloaded and destroyed my battery.... (as would be expected over 4g)
how do you tell google to backup app data? is that present in gingerbread?

I'm gonna try to get the Nexus for the upgrade price tomorrow. Should I be concerned about walking into a Verizon store with a rooted phone running a custom ROM?

I'm gonna try to get the Nexus for the upgrade price tomorrow. Should I be concerned about walking into a Verizon store with a rooted phone running a custom ROM?
Nah. It's not like you're asking for a replacement through insurance... they couldn't care less what you did to your current phone.

sneaky77

Is there a way to change the color of the notification light depending on the type of notice? like a different color for emails and texts and missed calls, so far I seem to get white for any kind of notice

Is there a way to change the color of the notification light depending on the type of notice? like a different color for emails and texts and missed calls, so far I seem to get white for any kind of notice

This is the one thing that bothers me too. My old shitty phone had all sorts of really basic led colors and stuff for different things. This has one. White. Flashing. Someone recommended an app that might fix some of that earlier...

Edit: here it was I believe https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflow&hl=en

This is the one thing that bothers me too. My old shitty phone had all sorts of really basic led colors and stuff for different things. This has one. White. Flashing. Someone recommended an app that might fix some of that earlier...

If the Nexus One had a HSPA+ radio, I might have never upgraded. The multicolor LED trackball is so awesome. Maybe the next Nexus will get it right.

Adamm

Facebook noticifactions are green by default!

It took me all of 5 minutes to start hating only having MTP and PTP available for USB transfer. Well, it was more like 3 minutes.

Trying to copy 22GB of my music from my Droid X's memory card to my computer took all of 15 minutes by removing the microSD card, sticking it in a USB adapter, and copying it to the hard drive.

Trying to copy 22GB of my music from my computer to the fucking Tuna keeps fucking dying after 10 minutes when it fucking says 'Device has disconnected' and then the fucking copy stops. The fucking Windows PC doesn't know when a file is already copied when using MTP/PTP and so I have to restart the fucking transfer from the beginning every fucking time. What the FUCK, Google? WHAT THE FUCK?

At least Apple provides a tool which can reliably copy your music back and forth between your computer and your microSD-lacking device. Fucking Google needs to get their shit together and write a transfer tool for PCs so you can fucking copy your fucking music to your fucking Tuna without going through fucking MTP/PTP.

FUCK.

It took me all of 5 minutes to start hating only having MTP and PTP available for USB transfer. Well, it was more like 3 minutes.
Out of principle, I agree with you.

But get with the future, brah. There are various wireless file syncing solutions. For music specifically, there is Google Music.

There are fewer reasons than ever to use wired transfer.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Trying to copy 22GB of my music from my Droid X's memory card to my computer took all of 15 minutes by removing the microSD card, sticking it in a USB adapter, and copying it to the hard drive.

Trying to copy 22GB of my music from my computer to the fucking Tuna keeps fucking dying after 10 minutes when it fucking says 'Device has disconnected' and then the fucking copy stops. The fucking Windows PC doesn't know when a file is already copied when using MTP/PTP and so I have to restart the fucking transfer from the beginning every fucking time. What the FUCK, Google? WHAT THE FUCK?

At least Apple provides a tool which can reliably copy your music back and forth between your computer and your microSD-lacking device. Fucking Google needs to get their shit together and write a transfer tool for PCs so you can fucking copy your fucking music to your fucking Tuna without going through fucking MTP/PTP.

FUCK.
Why don't you just use one of the many wifi or bluetooth file transfer apps?

Husker86

FUCK.

Cut the cord, man. Or sell me your phone because you obviously hate it.

SimleuqiR

So, I caved and bought a Tuna. I am such a consumer whore. And how!

Anyways, if you follow the procedure to manually root the phone, since there are no automated methods yet, you will eventually reach the bootloader screen.

You'll see these gems on the bootloader screen:

PRODUCT NAME - tuna
VARIANT - *

If you own a GSM Tuna, your variant is maguro. If you have an LTE Tuna like me, your variant is toro. Awesome.

Yes, this means the Verizon version of the Tuna has a different device name. It has a different radio inside, and also in order to identify properly to the Android Market as a Verizon device it has to have a different name than the GSM version.

Toro ? Well, Olé motherfuckers !!

Blackhead

Redarse
Why don't you just use one of the many wifi or bluetooth file transfer apps?

Because those are way slower than a USB file transfer and require more effort than sticking in a cable (unless Google puts in the work to provide perfect wireless syncing apps for each platform)

Out of principle, I agree with you.

But get with the future, brah. There are various wireless file syncing solutions. For music specifically, there is Google Music.

There are fewer reasons than ever to use wired transfer.

I personally don't care about the music. I care about having a proper filesystem. Google didn't really change what's under the hood (i.e. what it'll still end up seeing with Astro Manager) there are still sd partitions/folders and it's still a confusing mess from what I've heard. Perhaps some people only transfer music, videos and pictures but I'd like more flexibility than that..

reKon

Banned
So far after day one I gotta say they screen on this is pretty much the best thing I've on a portable device. Battery life wise I haven't figured this device out. Yesterday all I was doing was some massive downloading to get many of the apps I havd on to this phone. After doing this and other stuff for maybe an hour, it drained my battery a ton. This screen destroys battery life. I think I'm going to run the battery down all the way and then do full recharge. Hopefully things will improve here because if it can't outperform my old htc incredible, then we will have problems. I also notice some lag whenever I transition from the apps to widget section in the app drawer. Anyone else get this?

Salaadin

So overnight, FedEx took my phone from Westchester, PA (2 hours, 11 mins away) to Newark, NJ (2 hours, 7 mins away). Its 4 minutes closer to me, guys!
Delivery is still slated for today even though its not "out for delivery". I better get it.

Menelaus

Banned
i can confirm that lightflow fixes the issue of having a shitty led notification light.

speaker still blows, though. can barely hear notifications when the phone is pocketed.

Top Bottom