• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
i can confirm that lightflow fixes the issue of having a shitty led notification light.

speaker still blows, though. can barely hear notifications when the phone is pocketed.

Was just about to post that i had played around with lightflow and now i get all sorts of pretty colors now. One for charging and one for charged too, which is mostly what i wanted. Now i just have to figure out how to get the typing on secondaps to not suck.

rabhw

i can confirm that lightflow fixes the issue of having a shitty led notification light.

speaker still blows, though. can barely hear notifications when the phone is pocketed.

There's an app called Volume+ (paid version) that supposedly fixes that. I'm sure rom / kernel devs will be fixing the speaker volume in short order. Give it a few weeks. If you can't wait, then grab Volume+. The free version doesn't let you boost the volume enough to make a difference, the paid version does. Be careful though, you can permanently damage your speaker if you boost it too much.

Blackhead

Redarse

I wouldn't want to wriggle the phone out of my skinny jeans pocket anyway just to see that "@cwgabriel: Taking a dump". I hoping my Sony LiveView solves this problem although it's likely that the device just won't work. Has anyone tried pairing a Galaxy Nexus with one of the new 'smartwatches'?

Menelaus

Banned
I wouldn't want to wriggle the phone out of my skinny jeans pocket anyway just to see that "@cwgabriel: Taking a dump". I hoping my Sony LiveView solves this problem although it's likely that the device just won't work. Has anyone tried pairing a Galaxy Nexus with one of the new 'smartwatches'?

I tend to want to know when I'm getting texts or chats. Maybe I'm alone.

Blackhead

Redarse
I tend to want to know when I'm getting texts or chats. Maybe I'm alone.

I do too. I'm only suggesting that a 'smartwatch' would solve the sound/vibration problem and do more besides. I know, I know; I'm a gadgetfreak who likes to solve first world problems with money. :S

gcubed

Auto all day all night. Responsible for 77% of battery use :/

Also how does the auto lighting work? Does it use the camera or is there a little sensor?

i use auto... there is a sensor, i believe its near the earpiece, you should be able to see it next to the camera

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Amazon has the Nexus up!! For Verizon. $150 and no bullshit Letstalk coupon codes, though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0061R2A1S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I caved. I bought one. It's not in stock, unfortunately.

I don't know if I told any GAFers this yet but I'm moving to Germany this summer. I called Verizon about how the contract situation would work. They said the ETF would be waived with proof of moving, such as a utility bill.

Awesome. I wish I had that in writing somehow.

gcubed

I don't know if I told any GAFers this yet but I'm moving to Germany this summer. I called Verizon about how the contract situation would work. They said the ETF would be waived with proof of moving, such as a utility bill.

Awesome. I wish I had that in writing somehow.

yes, thats how it works when you leave their service area. Shouldn't need it in writing, its the standard for all the ETFs. Have fun in Germany!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
you don't want to keep your number?

Porting number from TMo to GVoice. Slapping the new VZW number in GVoice. No issue.

It sucks I have to pay $20 to port my old number and then another $20 to keep my current GV number. WTF, Google.

NH Apache

Banned
I was just perusing the reviews on amazon and one person said Best Buy price matched Amazon's 200 dollar price.

Can anyone confirm whether this is BS? Does BB price match at all on cell, or even against non-brick and mortar?

Because, if they do, I'm walking over there with my LetsTalk receipt.

I had my phone on top of my wallet, and it kept making weird beeping noises. I thought it was going bonkers.

Finally I figured out that it was trying to read one of those building entry contact cards I have in there, using the NFC.

Did anyone try GTA3? It would "stop running" whenever I tried to launch it.

gcubed

2gb limits blow, so you can get 4 on VZW, but i just can't switch to a limited plan with a nice HD screen. Watching netflix and slingbox (only to get worse when they update HBO and MAX Go! apps as well as Comcast streaming) rapes data... having 30mbps means you go through it that much faster as well. You sucks carriers. I'm stuck with ATT

I'm at around 80% which is responsible for 60% of the battery use.

Edit: Definitely going to check out lightflow over lunch.

Yeah sounds about the same as my experience with auto so far. I thought it was interesting that auto wasn't on by default, so thought maybe there was a reason and maybe I should change it.

Husker86

I was just perusing the reviews on amazon and one person said Best Buy price matched Amazon's 200 dollar price.

Can anyone confirm whether this is BS? Does BB price match at all on cell, or even against non-brick and mortar?

Because, if they do, I'm walking over there with my LetsTalk receipt.

They won't. If they do, it's definitely not the norm.

Are Verizon's LTE bands used anywhere else in the world, or does each country/carrier have its own? I know the state of LTE is horrible as far as roaming is concerned, but I'm checking nonetheless.

Bboy AJ

If I have an employer discount on my account can I still get the phone from Amazon?

Yeah, I think so. That's what I'm doing. Well, I'm a new account. I'm applying the discount after I sign up with Amazon.

Pctx

Banned
Are Verizon's LTE bands used anywhere else in the world, or does each country/carrier have its own? I know the state of LTE is horrible as far as roaming is concerned, but I'm checking nonetheless.

No. Bands are LTE 700MHz and CDMA bullshit.

You cannot use the phone to roam around the globe at all. This is the reason why I didn't hop on the bandwagon, that is a deal killer for us who actually like to use our phones where ever we are.

Dinosur

Yeah sounds about the same as my experience with auto so far. I thought it was interesting that auto wasn't on by default, so thought maybe there was a reason and maybe I should change it.

Yeah, I found it really weird it came out of the box at 0% brightness. Made the first couple minutes not as 'wowsers' as it could have been. Completely ecstatic now though.

gcubed

Yeah, I found it really weird it came out of the box at 0% brightness. Made the first couple minutes not as 'wowsers' as it could have been. Completely ecstatic now though.

GSM came out auto brightness. Weird.

Also, US LTE is running in the 700mhz band, but they are all using different parts of it so no phones will be able to go between carriers still. One nice thing is that the lower signal is much better at going longer distances and through walls/obstacles.

kinggroin

Banned
It took me all of 5 minutes to start hating only having MTP and PTP available for USB transfer. Well, it was more like 3 minutes.

Trying to copy 22GB of my music from my Droid X's memory card to my computer took all of 15 minutes by removing the microSD card, sticking it in a USB adapter, and copying it to the hard drive.

Trying to copy 22GB of my music from my computer to the fucking Tuna...

Isn't storage limited to 16gigs?

Edit: just checked my phone. 32gigs. Wow, its like i got an extra 16gigs of peace of mind heh.

gcubed

Isn't storage limited to 16gigs?

vzw is 32gb

edit... engadget review is up... pretty clear differences..

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/16/verizon-galaxy-nexus-review/

S3K9L.jpg

jmdajr

So how much better is android 4.0?

Outside the interface/look can it do things Android 2.3 can't? Like major things, not just getting here and there faster.

gcubed

Less than 24 hours in, and I got my first random reboot.

Stay awesome, Android.

thank you based VZW? have yet to have an issue.

ZOMG!!! LTE model slower?! Life is over, even the nexus is fragmented (sorry, i'm no Copernicus)

ciAp1.png

man, exynos is a beast

Circle T

Ok, I really need to find a stock GSM back for this phone. Droid-Life yesterday posted a little comparison, and said that the GSM back wouldn't fit without some modifying. I was worried that the little tabs might be in different locations. Looking at that pic though, it appears that it is just a difference in stuff up by the camera. I WILL get this to work.

Also, kind of odd that they would go with Micro-SIM for the LTE version, and not the GSM as well. One would think that with as many carriers offering the iPhone 4/4S, there would be enough availability to push that forward.

gcubed

Ok, I really need to find a stock GSM back for this phone. Droid-Life yesterday posted a little comparison, and said that the GSM back wouldn't fit without some modifying. I was worried that the little tabs might be in different locations. Looking at that pic though, it appears that it is just a difference in stuff up by the camera. I WILL get this to work.

Also, kind of odd that they would go with Micro-SIM for the LTE version, and not the GSM as well. One would think that with as many carriers offering the iPhone 4/4S, there would be enough availability to push that forward.

i'm sure with some delicate grinding/filing it will work

2gb limits blow, so you can get 4 on VZW, but i just can't switch to a limited plan with a nice HD screen. Watching netflix and slingbox (only to get worse when they update HBO and MAX Go! apps as well as Comcast streaming) rapes data... having 30mbps means you go through it that much faster as well. You sucks carriers. I'm stuck with ATT

but doesn't ATT have tiered plans too? if you're on a grandfathered plan.....it nullifies the point. shoulda switched a long time ago then ud have been on vzw unl grandfathered plan. lol

Gleeky

Picked up the phone last night. Coming from an OG droid, it's like night and day.

Problem is, I think I may have a faulty phone. I'll be using the phone, everything is running smoothly and then randomly the screen goes black. It doesn't necessarily turn the phone off, but the screen goes blank. If I try to press the home button on the bottom of the screen, the phone vibrates like it's still on, but the screen remains blank. Sometimes it comes back on a few seconds later, other times I need to take out and reset the battery in order to get it working again.

Does it sound like a bad phone? Does it have something to do with the 4.0.2 update botching the phone?

I'm thinking about trying to swap it for another SGN but I don't want to go through the trouble just to find out it's a faulty app in the background or a problem caused by the update.

What do you guys think? Others having the same issue.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=22499

Mafro

Haters gonna hate.
ICS converted me from a hater. I wasn't a fan of Android at all until I saw ICS shown off on the Galaxy Nexus and it totally won me over. I was previously iOS only for the three years beforehand. ICS is easily the best phone OS I've ever used.

Cipherr

Picked up the phone last night. Coming from an OG droid, it's like night and day.

Problem is, I think I may have a faulty phone. I'll be using the phone, everything is running smoothly and then randomly the screen goes black. It doesn't necessarily turn the phone off, but the screen goes blank. If I try to press the home button on the bottom of the screen, the phone vibrates like it's still on, but the screen remains blank. Sometimes it comes back on a few seconds later, other times I need to take out and reset the battery in order to get it working again.

Does it sound like a bad phone? Does it have something to do with the 4.0.2 update botching the phone?

I'm thinking about trying to swap it for another SGN but I don't want to go through the trouble just to find out it's a faulty app in the background or a problem caused by the update.

What do you guys think? Others having the same issue.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=22499

Folks at that link are saying they exchanged and it was gone. I would take it back for a replacement immediately.

crustikid

Is anyone having connection issues? Sometimes it seems that my phone will drop signal and the icons will turn grey, both the wireless and wifi.

Top Bottom