• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

TxdoHawk

first response nails it.

You get a free $10 prepaid Google "card" for activating your account, so theoretically if you were just curious but didn't want to enter your card info, you'd have enough for a few bottles of water or something.

I work for a retailer that is a Google Wallet partner, so I'm tempted to be a guinea pig just for the chance to blow the minds of my dinosaur store managers that have never seen this tech in action. ;)

kehs

Banned
The Google Wallet apk isn't actually touched, it's permissions in the OS that are changed, btw.

With that said, I wouldn't touch it either.

adg1034

So, I'm waiting for Letstalk to ship out my new Galaxy Nexus (YAY!). And as I'm upgrading from an OG Droid, the sheer size of this leap should make everything that much sweeter. However, what I do most with my phone right now is tethering (I currently have no geographical access to anything but satellite internet, and that's a non-starter due to price, speed, and response time issues). My current setup: CyanogenMod 7 with EasyTether installed, thus letting me avoid any OS-level tether blocking Verizon might have baked into the stock ROM.

I've never quite had the best signal where I am, so I can't really say whether or not Verizon has throttled my bandwidth in the past (even though I routinely go over 5GB/month), but even though the XDA forums might be a better place to check, here's my question: is there anything keeping me from doing exactly what I've been doing with my new phone?

kehs

Banned
Dunno. I completely pulled all that out my ass. Sounded good though right?

Was hoping you'd call me out on it and then go on to explain what padding is yourself.

LLShC.gif

thespot84

also, anyone else have issues with instant uploads not being quite 'instant'? It only uploads screenshots I've taken if i share them with myself on google+. Using the force upload thing in settings in google+ does nothing.

Anyways, here's some battery info so far:

This is with very heavy voice use compared to my usual routine. For some reason everyone wants to call me today. I usually charge in the car on the way too/from work as well but didn't today to get better data. SCIENCE!

garath

You guys rock. $25 is perfect. Bought.

Also, I can definitely confirm the worse signal compared to my DroidX.

Sitting in my living room my DroidX was getting -79 or -80 dBm on CDMA 3G. The Nexus gets -83 sitting in the exact same spot.

Unfortunate but that's life. The phone is amazing otherwise. I absolutely love the screen and ICS is fantastic. Going to have to talk to the IT admin at work as exchange is telling me it's trying to disable my camera as part of the security settings but even though it says it is, it's really not. Strange.

thespot84

You guys rock. $25 is perfect. Bought.

Also, I can definitely confirm the worse signal compared to my DroidX.

Sitting in my living room my DroidX was getting -79 or -80 dBm on CDMA 3G. The Nexus gets -83 sitting in the exact same spot.

Unfortunate but that's life. The phone is amazing otherwise. I absolutely love the screen and ICS is fantastic. Going to have to talk to the IT admin at work as exchange is telling me it's trying to disable my camera as part of the security settings but even though it says it is, it's really not. Strange.

Do yourself a favor and make your company pay for touchdown (tell them it offers better activesync security integration, which is does). Doesn't look that pretty but next to outlook on windows phone 7 it's the best mobile client available.

garath

Do yourself a favor and make your company pay for touchdown (tell them it offers better activesync security integration, which is does). Doesn't look that pretty but next to outlook on windows phone 7 it's the best mobile client available.

I actually have touchdown on my DroidX. I greatly prefer the native app for my own personal use but you are absolutely correct that touchdown supports exchange far better. I just can't stand the interface.

thespot84

the gig might be up on this extended battery. It showed me the 24.99 in the checkout screen, then on the confirm screen it was $49.99. I'm chatting with a rep so we'll see.

EDIT: like before I can't get it to $25 anymore. too bad.

garath

the gig might be up on this extended battery. It showed me the 24.99 in the checkout screen, then on the confirm screen it was $49.99. I'm chatting with a rep so we'll see.

EDIT: like before I can't get it to $25 anymore. too bad.

That stinks. They must have JUST killed it. I ordered it at $25 20 minutes ago.

thespot84

That stinks. They must have JUST killed it. I ordered it at $25 20 minutes ago.

I can get it to $25 in my cart, but once I get to the 'submit order' screen it's back to 50 every time

EDIT: HUZZAH! after multiple tries (at least 6) i got it for $25. Take that!

Just got it. Sooooooooooo sexy. So smooth. It's definitely what we've been waiting for. I've been through an OG Droid, Droid X, and now this. feelsgoodman.jpg

TxdoHawk

So after a day of hands-on, here's my impressions.

- I like the design more than I thought I would. Would I prefer metal to plastic? Yeah. But the Nexus is nicely curved in all the right places. It's a big change from the boxy Droid X.

- Very, very happy that the port is Micro USB. I have something like five chargers and a car charger from owning two Moto Droids, and believe it or not I use most of them (one at home + one at all three of my offices + car charger in car.)

- Speaking of the Droid X...coming from that to this, the screen didn't knock me out with being massively huge-er. I will say this: I think this is about as big as standard Android touchscreen superphones should get, and I have giant hands. I could see this phone being way too big for people.

- Also, that screen? Man, that screen. It definitely has its quirks (pentile, the oddity where the more white there is on the screen the less bright that white is), but overall it's really a sight to behold.

- Ice Cream Sandwich really does feel like another giant step in the right direction. Google is starting to get the little things right: I like being able to flick away notifications and browser windows, in particular.

- I could swear disabling the couple of Verizon apps on the phone made everything just the tiniest bit snappier, but maybe it's all in my head. I'm glad that disable option now exists! I think this is a nice Google/carrier compromise, and I hope this becomes the trend with bloatware in the future.

- Ports on the bottom? Do not like, at all. Should've been up top, since I assume it would've been impossible to squeeze them onto the sides.

- The reception is definitely not as good as my Droid X, based on dbm comparisons. Will be interesting to see if that rumored update that supposedly improves reception materializes. I haven't actually seen speed/call problems as a result of this yet, which makes me curious as to what's really going on here.

- Battery life, ugh. This seems to be an LTE problem more than a phone problem. I hope the next generation of LTE antennas trims the power consumption, that's for sure. Going to be interesting to see if the extended battery helps, I feel like it may just help me squeak through a day of healthy use.

Matt

So, I got my package from VZW today, and opened it up. Inside was a SIM card, the bill, and the activation instructions. But no phone. Someone fucked up.

I am.....not even mad, just really fucking bummed.

Beezy

Got my Nexus from Verizon earlier and I'm in love with this thing. One problem though. I can't get my contacts to sync with my facebook profile for some reason. This was never an issue with my OG Motorola Droid.

Anyone else came across this problem and knows how to fix it?

kehs

Banned
Got my Nexus from Verizon earlier and I'm in love with this thing. One problem though. I can't get my contacts to sync with my facebook profile for some reason. This was never an issue with my OG Motorola Droid.

Facebook hates sharing user's content.

I'm having the same problem. When you go to add the account, do you click "Facebook" and then nothing happens?

rozay

Banned
Finally got to play with one of these today. Screen is gorgeous. Holding it up to my eye, i can see the pentile matrix but its not visible just using the phone, its as sharp or almost as sharp as an iPhone 4 to me.

I wasnt bothered by the size in use, but it is slippery and I feel like its awkward to hold with one hand at times.

Definitely my next phone if Google starts selling the GSM version in the states, especially in a 32gb flavor.

My bro is getting this phone and today the case I ordered for him from Amazon arrived. I held it up to my Incredible and see that the screen for the Nexus is as big as the whole Incredible! And also the Nexus isn't as big as I thought.

rozay

Banned
My bro is getting this phone and today the case I ordered for him from Amazon arrived. I held it up to my Incredible and see that the screen for the Nexus is as big as the whole Incredible! And also the Nexus isn't as big as I thought.
Yeah lol it's as big as a nexus/incredible. One of the nicest screens I've ever seen.

rozay

Banned
Any way to bump up the alarm volume? My Dinc was loud as hell.
The alarm ringtones suck too.
Try Volume+. I think someone in this thread said that the stock ringtones aren't very loud by default, so sending alarms from your incredible might be useful.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Remember when people said no one could tell if the screen was Pentile or not? And I said I'd be able to fucking tell?

I can fucking tell.

The coloring for white is absurd. There is no white.

Top Bottom