• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Husker86

Remember when people said no one could tell if the screen was Pentile or not? And I said I'd be able to fucking tell?

I can fucking tell.

The coloring for white is absurd. There is no white.

It was very easy the one minute I saw it at the store to be able to see pixels on the white text for icons, which wasn't the case with the Rezound right next to it. I still want it though.

rozay

Banned
Remember when people said no one could tell if the screen was Pentile or not? And I said I'd be able to fucking tell?

I can fucking tell.

The coloring for white is absurd. There is no white.
I can tell too. Whites and greys are a little off, and if you hold your screen millimeters from to your eye (lol) you can makeout the pentile layout on text. It's NOWHERE near as bad as my N1 though.

It was very easy the one minute I saw it at the store to be able to see pixels on the white text for icons, which wasn't the case with the Rezound right next to it. I still want it though.

Shrug. It's really not easy to see the pixels/pattern the way I hold it, whereas I hold my nexus one in the same position and I can clearly see the grain. Aside from the white coloring and texture on gray screens, I don't think it's worth waiting for a "plus" version of this screen.

I can tell too. Whites and greys are a little off, and if you hold your screen millimeters from to your eye (lol) you can makeout the pentile layout on text. It's NOWHERE near as bad as my N1 though.

The dramatically increased PPI makes it so you can easily see the PenTile matrix when you hold the phone close to your face, but somehow it's possible now to not care that much. The texturing on flat grays and whites is still pretty bizarre though, and it's actually an effect of how your brain interprets the PenTile matrix's pattern. If you hold the phone close enough to see the pixels, the texturing vanishes, but if you hold it further away, the texturing appears and even appears to shift depending on the angle you hold the screen at. They still have a long ways to go with improving the PenTile dithering algorithm before it's truly indistinguishable from the classic RGB matrix.

Shrug. It's really not easy to see the pixels/pattern the way I hold it, whereas I hold my nexus one in the same position and I can clearly see the grain. Aside from the white coloring and texture on gray screens, I don't think it's worth waiting for a "plus" version of this screen.

I'm keeping my Tuna. Warts and all, it's still the best overall Android smartphone ever made (so far).

Man, you guys are really reaching at complaints. The PPI + Amoled combination is pretty close to unbeatable at the moment, pentile or not. I checked out the Rezound's screen, and I'm sorry, but even if the pixels are less noticeable from 5mm away it is simply not as impressive as the GN's.

Guess it's just cool to be hypercritical and expect perfection. All I know is that amoled is the way to go when it comes to screen technology, and the amoled product cycle is such that if you want a phone with one right now, it will either be 720p and pentile or 800x480 and RGB. You're pretty crazy if you would have preferred the GN with the latter combination.

For the people who remember my music transfer saga from a few pages back, I ended up just coping one album at a time. It was a pain in the ass and it took several hours, but I got it all on there. Sigh.

Once I got it there, I discovered what people were talking about when they said the Galaxy S II has the best audio quality out of the headphone jack they ever heard from a mobile phone. I guess the Tuna uses the same DAC the GSII does, because the quality of music easily blows my old Droid X away. Not that it was hard to do, the X always had a reputation for average sound quality out of the headphone jack.

Since I use my phone as my music player, there's no way I can't keep my Tuna. I just put in my order for a $25 extended battery.

Husker86

Yeah, like I said, when my upgrade in January is up I'll most likely be getting it. But people who say they can't notice must not be able to notice on the original Galaxy S phones either (though it is obviously worse on the GS than the GN).

Man, you guys are really reaching at complaints. The PPI + Amoled combination is pretty close to unbeatable at the moment, pentile or not. I checked out the Rezound's screen, and I'm sorry, but even if the pixels are less noticeable from 5mm away it is simply not as impressive as the GN's.

Guess it's just cool to be hypercritical and expect perfection. All I know is that amoled is the way to go when it comes to screen technology, and the amoled product cycle is such that if you want a phone with one right now, it will either be 720p and pentile or 800x480 and RGB. You're pretty crazy if you would have preferred the GN with the latter combination.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out areas of necessary improvement. I'm mostly commenting on it for the people who say the pixels are indistinguishable. And no, I don't need to hold it 5mm from my face to see them.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
being hypercritical and expecting perfection IS super cool.

giga

Debatable. Some things like contrast ratios and power consumption are great. Others things not so much. White point tracking is highly inconsistent at different brightness levels and colors are over saturated from the sRGB standard.

Yeah, like I said, when my upgrade in January is up I'll most likely be getting it. But people who say they can't notice must not be able to notice on the original Galaxy S phones either (though it is obviously worse on the GS than the GN).

There is nothing wrong with pointing out areas of necessary improvement. I'm mostly commenting on it for the people who say the pixels are indistinguishable. And no, I don't need to hold it 5mm from my face to see them.

You didnt refute my point about the amoled product cycle. Would you rather the GN's screen been: smaller? lower resolution? lcd instead of amoled? Those are your options if you dont want pentile. If none of those options are acceptable, then your complaint is really about the pace of technological progress, not the choices made when designing the Nexus.

EDIT: Dont even know if a smaller, high PPI, RGB amoled display would have been viable at this point in time

rozay

Banned
Debatable. Some things like contrast ratios and power consumption are great. Others things not so much. White point tracking is highly inconsistent at different brightness levels and colors are over saturated from the sRGB standard.

Power consumption is actually not better on AMOLED screens in this case. White draws more current on an amoled than regular LCDs, and 4.0 has a ton of brightly colored screens.

Husker86

You didnt refute my point about the amoled product cycle. Would you rather the GN's screen been: smaller? lower resolution? lcd instead of amoled? Those are your options if you dont want pentile. If none of those options are acceptable, then your complaint is really about the pace of technological progress, not the choices made when designing the Nexus.

EDIT: Dont even know if a smaller, high PPI, RGB amoled display would have been viable at this point in time

I'm not trying to refute your point...I notice a flaw and I point it out. I'm sorry if this bothers you. My choice would be a 720p RGB AMOLED. Are complaints about technological progress invalid?

edit: I guess a comparable situation would be my (and I'm sure others') complaint about the iPad ppi. Yeah, currently it isn't feasible to have a super hi-res display and keep the cost the same, that doesn't make the pixelation any less noticeable.

Aeana

Got mine tonight. I have to say that the face unlock has really impressed me. I didn't expect to react nearly as quickly as it does, and it recognizes me with or without my glasses on, or even with my hair up or down. I had no intention of ever using it, but I think I will now! Not really too bad if it doesn't recognize me, either, since I can just fall back to a PIN or pattern.

Seriously? Why wouldn't they want to fix that?

no, you've got it wrong... the problem is Facebook treats YOUR data like it's THEIR data, and this IS the fix.

I'm not trying to refute your point...I notice a flaw and I point it out. I'm sorry if this bothers you. My choice would be a 720p RGB AMOLED. Are complaints about technological progress invalid?

edit: I guess a comparable situation would be my (and I'm sure others') complaint about the iPad ppi. Yeah, currently it isn't feasible to have a super hi-res display and keep the cost the same, that doesn't make the pixelation any less noticeable.

so, do you want a 7.7" phone or a time machine?

Husker86

so, do you want a 7.7" phone or a time machine?

Alright I'm sorry, the Galaxy Nexus display is above all other mobile displays in every way.

Can we not complain about battery life yet either?

edit: I'll leave my immature, sarcastic response, but really what I'm trying to say is just because the tech isn't there doesn't mean we can't point out the shortcomings.

Alright I'm sorry, the Galaxy Nexus display is above all other mobile displays in every way.

edit: I'll leave my immature, sarcastic response, but really what I'm trying to say is just because the tech isn't there doesn't mean we can't point out the shortcomings.
battery life vs other smartphones? or battery life vs 3 weeks on a flip phone? or are we not allowed to point out something that's infeasible?

SRG01

Are we allowed to talk about ICS on the Nexus S in this thread? I find it interesting how Face Unlock isn't on the ICS 4.03 ROM that was released earlier today for the S.

Do a youtube search on your phone for "up married life, hd" and then talk to me about shortcomings.

It should be well understood that we are constantly striving towards a hypothetical ideal, so it's futile to complain about not being there yet. The bar always moves higher and we never get there. The relevant question is which purchase at what point in time will provide the user with the longest period of technological superiority and/or competence for the longest period of time. If in the market for an android phone, the answer is clearly the Galaxy Nexus, yesterday. Perhaps for any smartphone period depending on what the iPhone 5 looks like.

Circle T

Fucking pentile discusion again? Welp GN thread, you had a good run, but I'm out. Phone looks great, and runs great for me, Pentile or otherwise. I'll just be hanging in the normal Android OT thread from now on.

Aeana

Hmm, I'm definitely feeling the low volume for alarms on this thing. I tried Volume+ but even with the full version at +8 I don't hear much of a difference.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hmm, I'm definitely feeling the low volume for alarms on this thing. I tried Volume+ but even with the full version at +8 I don't hear much of a difference.

Try Equalizer on the market perhaps? It helped a lot with the shitty speaker on my tablet.

Husker86

Do a youtube search on your phone for "up married life, hd" and then talk to me about shortcomings.

It should be well understood that we are constantly striving towards a hypothetical ideal, so it's futile to complain about not being there yet. The bar always moves higher and we never get there. The relevant question is which purchase at what point in time will provide the user with the longest period of technological superiority and/or competence for the longest period of time. If in the market for an android phone, the answer is clearly the Galaxy Nexus, yesterday. Perhaps for any smartphone period depending on what the iPhone 5 looks like.

There are displays out there that have pixels you cannot distinguish (iPhone & Rezound), so it's not like it's unprecedented. The question is, does AMOLED outweigh that? I believe it does, but I'm not going to ignore what's obvious.

Anyway, I'm happy to discontinue this discussion now.

kinggroin

Banned
Having spent a couple days with the vzw nexus, here's how I feel:

-Notification light blink rate is too slow for my liking
-Android still has a few fluidity hiccups (framedrops on screen transitions and poor live wallpaper performance)
-Browser performance with flash sucks compared to the gsii. Also, no tabs.
-App drawer sucks

+Screen to die for
+I don't have to wait on the camera to process images
+Massive visual improvement to android
+HW acceleration
+Incredible headphone audio quality
+Face unlock is pretty damn nifty
+Improved notation in messenger
+Awesome keyboard
+Its finally out and in my hands

I don't understand what the deal is with the terrible new app drawer. Google wants to purposely copy the iPhone's sliding panes grid of apps to stick their thumbs in Apple's eyes? It's stupid, I liked the regular vertical scrolling grid of apps.

TxdoHawk

How do you "disable" Verizon apps?

Nevermind, I figured it out. Which ones can I disable without it fucking up the phone?

I switched off My Verizon Mobile, Verizon Login, and VZ Backup Assistant with no issues. Of course, if anything seems to cause problems worst-case you can just re-enable it.

There are displays out there that have pixels you cannot distinguish (iPhone & Rezound), so it's not like it's unprecedented. The question is, does AMOLED outweigh that? I believe it does, but I'm not going to ignore what's obvious.

Anyway, I'm happy to discontinue this discussion now.
Wow, ignoring "what's obvious?" Yea, we're done here.

I don't understand what the deal is with the terrible new app drawer. Google wants to purposely copy the iPhone's sliding panes grid of apps to stick their thumbs in Apple's eyes? It's stupid, I liked the regular vertical scrolling grid of apps.
I think it's because Duarte wanted to show off with that fade in/fade out effect all the reviewers seem to love.

Aeana

Actually I think Volume+ at +10 is perfect for alarms. Sadly it's actually too loud for music! But I'm content now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Wow, really? I hated that. The slide actually took some getting used to for a week or so but since then I can barely tolerate it on my old Droid X with Gingerbread that I still have around.

TxdoHawk

I think they should've made the old way an option, but I like the new version. Too many times I found myself scrolling past the application I was looking for while trying to look for it, now I can just quickly flip, glance, flip until I'm there. (I still sometimes find myself instinctively trying to scroll down, though.)

Husker86

I think they should've made the old way an option, but I like the new version. Too many times I found myself scrolling past the application I was looking for while trying to look for it, now I can just quickly flip, glance, flip until I'm there. (I still sometimes find myself instinctively trying to scroll down, though.)

Same here. I liked when HTC made the vertical scrolling have pages and now I'm used to ADW launcher side-page scrolling.

Upping the brightness also helps reduce the visibility of the effect.. auto brightness is too aggressive..

Compared to something like the RAZR, the pentile effect isn't anywhere near as bad thanks to the higher pixel density.. of course some people are more sensitive to it than others, but overall it is one of the best displays available in a phone today.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Wow, really? I hated that. The slide actually took some getting used to for a week or so but since then I can barely tolerate it on my old Droid X with Gingerbread that I still have around.

TouchWiz has the horizontal page scrolling and I hate it. Thank goodness I can get the vertical scrolling with ADW.

Speaking of things they changed for no good reason, in addition to the new app drawer, notifications volume and ringtone volume are no longer separated. Why, Google? Why?

Also, one really cool thing in CM7 was that the volumes for phone speaker, headphone jack, and Bluetooth audio were all separated. I guess that's a CM7-only thing because stock ICS seems to have only one volume control for all media. Better double-check the volume every time you plug your headphones in or you'll explode your eardrums.

I'm loving my Galaxy Nexus, such a fantastic phone and realizing that I can access my ftp server (I'm an android newbie) made it even better. God damn.

Does anyone have any idea if iControlPad would fit for the G-Nex? I'm really considering getting one but there's the risk of the phone being a bit too big for it.

Hi guys, is it possible to hide the navigation onscreen buttons completely? (or minimize them to a few dots like when watching a video) I haven't seen any screencap showing this possibility yet so I'm wondering if it's possible and how useful it is to operate the phone without them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It shipped from Amazon! 8-9 day wait my ass!!

TxdoHawk

Hi guys, is it possible to hide the navigation onscreen buttons completely? (or minimize them to a few dots like when watching a video) I haven't seen any screencap showing this possibility yet so I'm wondering if it's possible and how useful it is to operate the phone without them.

Seems like apps can be coded to go fullscreen and utilize that space, but I am not aware of a built-in function, unfortunately. Would be interesting to see if someone could code an app that shows/hides the soft buttons via a gesture...i wonder if apps will autonatically use that extra space if the buttons suddenly aren't there?

Seems like apps can be coded to go fullscreen and utilize that space, but I am not aware of a built-in function, unfortunately. Would be interesting to see if someone could code an app that shows/hides the soft buttons via a gesture...i wonder if apps will autonatically use that extra space if the buttons suddenly aren't there?

Oh, that would be perfect if you could swipe them up and down on the spot. I really hope google makes this possible.

Having spent a couple days with the vzw nexus, here's how I feel:

-Notification light blink rate is too slow for my liking

Agreed.

The browser is a bit different than my HTC Inc. in that it does not force text inside elements to wrap...it just runs off the screen like a fucking iPhone. At least it does seem the page elements are already resized somewhat so a double tap zooms to a decent level where everything is readable.

Everything else is amazing to me so far.

TxdoHawk

First full day of semi-heavy use on a full charge...not impressed with the battery life so far. LTE is really a killer, it seems. Going to try a day with LTE switched off on my next work day (Monday) and see how that goes.

I hope someone codes a nice simple LTE on/off widget for the Nexus soon.

Top Bottom