• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

garath

Dolphin browser doesnt seem to work on ICS yet. I hope they update it soon.

Strange. Dolphin Browser HD works just fine for me.

First full day of semi-heavy use on a full charge...not impressed with the battery life so far. LTE is really a killer, it seems. Going to try a day with LTE switched off on my next work day (Monday) and see how that goes.

I hope someone codes a nice simple LTE on/off widget for the Nexus soon.

I agree. I'm on 3 hours today with LTE on and I'm already down to 66%. 9 Hours max at this rate. I've turned on Wifi to see if I can squeeze out some more life for today. I should be getting the extended battery on Tues or Wed so we'll see if that gives me a full day at least.

I'm sorely missing my DroidX with 2 full days of use.

Man, you guys are really reaching at complaints. The PPI + Amoled combination is pretty close to unbeatable at the moment, pentile or not. I checked out the Rezound's screen

I'm speaking unbiasedly when I say the Rezound's screen is just as good if not better than the Nexus.

Maybe it's because the Rezound screen seems brighter..but it does seem as good and maybe even a little better than the screen on the Nexus. I bought a Nexus, so It's not like I'm just hating to be hating.

I tested multiple videos out on both running at the sametime just to test. But at the end of the day, no one will ever care/notice the slight edge the rezound might have.

However, rezound's camera is like 10 times better than the Nexus.

Nexus weakest area is the camera...not the screen fyi.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any issues plugging in the normal battery with the extended battery cover?

TxdoHawk

Major app devs will no doubt catch up soon. Given how close to launch we are, I'm pretty pleasantly surprised with what I've tested in software so far.

Is there a way to select one of the main screens without swiping from left to right or vice versa?

Aside from hitting Home to bring you back to the center screen, I don't believe so, not on stock. I know ADW Launcher has a mode where you can double-tap home to see a zoom-out of all your home screens, and then touch one to go to it, so if/when that is updated for ICS you might want to try that out.

Agreed.

The browser is a bit different than my HTC Inc. in that it does not force text inside elements to wrap...it just runs off the screen like a fucking iPhone. At least it does seem the page elements are already resized somewhat so a double tap zooms to a decent level where everything is readable.

Everything else is amazing to me so far.

The browser has several settings that can be adjusted. None of them helps with this issue?

Oozer3993

Got to see a couple of these at work today. Screen size is nice but the greenish tint would drive me crazy, so bad.

Mine does not have any tint, and neither did the demo unit at the Verizon store I bought mine from. You must have looked at a bad phone.

First full day of semi-heavy use on a full charge...not impressed with the battery life so far. LTE is really a killer, it seems. Going to try a day with LTE switched off on my next work day (Monday) and see how that goes.

I hope someone codes a nice simple LTE on/off widget for the Nexus soon.

I went all day yesterday on my Wi-Fi at home and easily cranked out 12 hours with pretty heavy use.

P.S. For anyone not happy with the notification LED, get LightFlow from the market. It currently has mine blinking every two seconds with different colors for every type of notification, including separate colors for each email account.

Any issues plugging in the normal battery with the extended battery cover?

I can try and see in a bit. Was gonna charge up the normal battery as a spare.

The screen is always around 70 to 80 % of my battery use. Its a gorgeous screen though. I was on automatic but today im going to try the lowest setting as long as it doesnt get in the way and see if that matters (i doubt it will, but we'll see).

Salaadin

how much thickness does the extended battery add? Im still back and forth on cases but i guess ill need one designed for the extended battery thickness.

reKon

Banned
This screen does not like fingerprints. I'm surprised at how clean this phone stays despite playing with it quite a bit. Maybe that will change over time. Still don't know if I'm going to get a case for this either

Druz

Really happy with the phone. A guy wanted to trade his Rezound in for a Nexus and I'm like "Sorry, we have none left" and pulled it out.

THATS what I'm talking about, America. 1manupmanship.

The browser has several settings that can be adjusted. None of them helps with this issue?

I already had the options set to format pages to fit screen. I did find out how to get it to work. Previously the elements would resize immediately depending on the amount I zoomed in. Now, when I zoom in, I just realized I can resize the contents to fit properly by double tapping (as if I was doing a double tap zoom) and instead of zooming in further or zooming out, it resizes the text then. It seems if you also do a zoom in with double tap initially and then double tap again, it will resize the element to fit.

rozay

Banned
Oh god, there are units with green screen tints? None of the ones I had saw it, but I'm worried that later batches of the phone will have shittier screens (which is probably around the time google starts selling the GSM version here)

Druz

Oh god, there are units with green screen tints? None of the ones I had saw it, but I'm worried that later batches of the phone will have shittier screens (which is probably around the time google starts selling the GSM version here)

I'll add my experience here. Full on there is no tinting colors look great, but at an angle there is a green tint.

Sky Chief

This phone is just so good. This is my first Android device so a few questions.

How do you get LightFlow to work? What does the paid version offer that the free one doesn't?

Is there a good widget for turning LTE on and off?

What is the best weather widget?

Which version of Skype do I need? The regular one or the Verizon one?

Is it possible to use Google Voice Visual Voicemail? If so, how do I set it up?

I have several "Interesting Calendars" set up in my Google Calendar to show my favorite sports teams' schedules but these calendars are not showing up on my phone, how do I fix that?

Where can I find 1440x1280 wallpapers?

When I'm at my friend's house or a point of interest how do I save my location for future use in the Nav app? How can I automatically add my friend's address to their contact info?

Thanks!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Got my Galaxy Nexus from Eaton's Centre today for 600 Canadian.

However I'm having trouble connecting to Wind Mobile on it. It detects Wind Home, but says "unable to connect to this network at this time, please try again later"

Anyone else have this problem?

How do you get LightFlow to work? What does the paid version offer that the free one doesn't?

The paid lightflow lets you hook it up to external apps for notifications; like words with friends. Pretty sure thats the only difference.

Also, anyone have any luck getting the swiftkey reccommending, and even spelling fixing to work on secondapps.

Wow, there's already a working preview version of CM9 on the GSM Nexus, based on 4.0.3. Supposedly, it gets rid of the lag when bringing up the multi-task menu, and one guy says the browser is better, but I don't know what he means since I don't have any problems with it.

Also I have two apps (the giant bomb app, and the alchemy game) that worked fine on my old shitty eris but on the nexus they do this strange thing where they both only take up the lower left quarter of my screen. Any goofy thing I have checked in options or something causing that or is it they are just borked right now on this phone?

Is it possible to use Google Voice Visual Voicemail? If so, how do I set it up?
Are you on Verizon? Do you have a Google Voice number? Did you download the Google Voice app?

If so, open up the phone app, dial *71AAANNNNNNN, and press the call button where AAANNNNNNN is your Google Voice area code and phone number.

This command will tell Verizon's system to forward your calls to Google Voice when they're not picked up (either no answer, out of coverage, or rejected).

Go to the Google Voice website (voice.google.com) to set up your greetings, etc.

I have several "Interesting Calendars" set up in my Google Calendar to show my favorite sports teams' schedules but these calendars are not showing up on my phone, how do I fix that?
Calendar > ... in the upper right corner > Settings > your email address, and check the calendars you want to sync. Or if they're already synced, Calendar > ... in the upper right corner > Calendars to Display, check the ones you want to display.
Where can I find 1440x1280 wallpapers?
I'm also looking for some good ones for the phone.
When I'm at my friend's house or a point of interest how do I save my location for future use in the Nav app? How can I automatically add my friend's address to their contact info?
That would be a cool feature, but I don't think it can be done right now. The most you can do is long press a location on the map, tap it, and Star it, by tapping the star icon in the upper right.

It then goes into My Places, which is easily accessible in the Maps menu. There's also a tab in My Places called Recent which keeps recent addresses you were at, and you can add those as Contacts, but I think it only looks for businesses and other locations with names.

kinggroin

Banned
Also I have two apps (the giant bomb app, and the alchemy game) that worked fine on my old shitty eris but on the nexus they do this strange thing where they both only take up the lower left quarter of my screen. Any goofy thing I have checked in options or something causing that or is it they are just borked right now on this phone?

When I have this issue on my Droid x with older apps, I turn off compatibility mode in spare parts (free app)

SkylineRKR

I'd choose the Nexus over the Galaxy II any day.

I like that Nexus phones come with Stock Android (w/o the need to Root), and gets updates first, makes it 10000 times better for me. Even though the Galaxy II is supposed to have a better camera and screen.

Too bad i can't renew yet, because I want this baby. I love 4.0 (although my Nexus S gets it as well).

My coworker has the GSII, and it is indeed a really nice phone. Would definitely go for Galaxy Nexus over it, though. If anything, just for the software.

edit: Oh, and Verizon's LTE service here stomps AT&T and T-Mobile.

I'll add my experience here. Full on there is no tinting colors look great, but at an angle there is a green tint.

That is common in almost every LCD ever made. Kind of impossible not to get some color shifting at angles. Now there is some and a TON at small angles of course.

MercuryLS

Banned
Got my Galaxy Nexus from Eaton's Centre today for 600 Canadian.

However I'm having trouble connecting to Wind Mobile on it. It detects Wind Home, but says "unable to connect to this network at this time, please try again later"

Anyone else have this problem?

Where? It's $650 off contract at Bell.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Where? It's $650 off contract at Bell.

There's a guy called Zaman or something at the Source at the northernmost Source in Eaton's Centre. He sold it to me for 600 off of Virgin.

You have to buy a 20 dollar prepaid plan though. But you can cancel it after 14 days.

http://www.androidcentral.com/app-t...-your-galaxy-nexus-cant-tell-you-whether-care
Update: Turns out the CDMA/LTE mysid variant (that's the Verizon Galaxy Nexus to you and me) does actually get its updates from Google after all, according to Googler Jean-Baptiste Queru. So that's that. JBQ also says that yakjuxw and other yakju variants signed by Samsung have only "really small region-specific tweaks".

so verizon one will get its updates from google, wasn't sure what the twitter post meant

When I have this issue on my Droid x with older apps, I turn off compatibility mode in spare parts (free app)

Thanks alot. Hopefully that works.

Also whoever it was earlier asking about the normal battery with the extended battery back, its fine, no issues whatsoever.

^^^Thats where I get my wallpapers. Great prices.

Edit: hahahahaha spare parts does the same thing when I try to run it. Any way to jerry rig it to launch correctly?

crustikid

Just writing to confirm that the Diztronic TPU case from Amazon will indeed fit the GN with the extended battery from Verizon.

Also, I am trying out Google Music and was wondering: if I copy music via Android File Transfer access it in the Music app, will that sync it to the Google Music cloud? Or am I dreaming here?

thespot84

Thanks!

Best way would probably be to create a traffic widget on your home screen.. This is a leftover from honeycomb: it's just a little traffic light with a stored address, when you tap it it updates to green, yellow or red and shows you how long it would take to drive there. Tapping again I believe brings up maps/nav to show you the route.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Where is the best place to get the extended battery for this? In-store? $50 on the Samsung site but that seems silly.

Husker86

Just writing to confirm that the Diztronic TPU case from Amazon will indeed fit the GN with the extended battery from Verizon.

Also, I am trying out Google Music and was wondering: if I copy music via Android File Transfer access it in the Music app, will that sync it to the Google Music cloud? Or am I dreaming here?

Music won't sync that way, can only do it from computer.

Top Bottom