• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Aeana

Does the extended battery actually add a meaningful amount of extra battery life? Has anyone done a comparison yet?

yanhero

Hmm, I have "Vibrate on touch" enabled, when I touch one of the bottom 3 buttons, the speaker makes a small sound... It's not the sound thats made when "Touch sounds" is enabled, its like a bass note, and it's really annoying, is this normal?

It seems to me the vibration is turning the speaker on...

Gleeky

Does the extended battery actually add a meaningful amount of extra battery life? Has anyone done a comparison yet?

Not sure about a comparison..but for me, I like the way the phone feels a lot better with the extended battery in. Adds a bit more weight (making the phone feel a bit more solid) and it feels good in your hand.

The extra space is negligible imo, hardly notice the extra bulge.

Gabyskra

Banned
I'm surprised that this phone does not get better reviews. How the fuck does the best screen ever becomes a negative? It's like the Verge is the only sane website left.

Not sure if there is something wrong with my screen, or this is some kind of new effect in 4.0. All the, whites for example, don't look completely white. For example, if you go to the messaging app, if you look closely the white sections kind of have this paper kind of look to it.

It's really hard to explain, but I was wondering if anyone else was having the same issue.

Gabyskra

Banned
Not sure if there is something wrong with my screen, or this is some kind of new effect in 4.0. All the, whites for example, don't look completely white. For example, if you go to the messaging app, if you look closely the white sections kind of have this paper kind of look to it.

It's really hard to explain, but I was wondering if anyone else was having the same issue.

No, it's beautiful. What's your brightness setting? Is it low?

*edit* Waiiiit I get it. Yes it's normal, it's a design choice.

Feep

Banned
Screen blows my mind. I can't understand anyone complaining about this thing. I guess if I hold a pure white/gray section RIGHT up to my face and squint, I can kind of see a weird pattern? But even doing this makes me feel like an asshole.

Gabyskra

Banned
Screen blows my mind. I can't understand anyone complaining about this thing. I guess if I hold a pure white/gray section RIGHT up to my face and squint, I can kind of see a weird pattern? But even doing this makes me feel like an asshole.

Man, I was 100% sure that was a design choice... Guess I was wrong. It seemed like it would make sense... Anyway, at full brightness it's not that noticeable, and even then, I like the look, I was sure that was ICS newness...

Feep

Banned
Man, I was 100% sure that was a design choice... Guess I was wrong. It seemed like it would make sense... Anyway, at full brightness it's not that noticeable, and even then, I like the look, I was sure that was ICS newness...
Maybe it is? I don't know. It doesn't even look *bad*, just..speckled, a bit.

reKon

Banned
really liking the audio quality off of this from google music w/o using the EQ and I didn't even set for it to stream at the highest quality (listening to late registration)

CrankyJay

Banned
Let's hope that phone manufacturers going the AMOLED route use this company's tech then:

The shortcomings of AMOLED PenTile displays have been heavy on our minds lately, especially with Nilay's scathing review of the Droid RAZR screen (pictured below), whose RGBG pixel arrangement not only looks dim and grainy, but also has a greenish tint. Now a company called Ignis claims to have a solution, with a 300ppi AMOLED screen featuring a "true RGB" pixel layout that still uses current manufacturing techniques.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/29/2595782/ignis-non-pentile-300ppi-amoled-display

I'm surprised that this phone does not get better reviews. How the fuck does the best screen ever becomes a negative? It's like the Verge is the only sane website left.

Because it's NOT "the best screen ever"? I love my Tuna but there's nobody sane on Earth who thinks this is "the best screen ever", because it's not. It really isn't. My Droid X has a similar actual PPI (remember that PenTile has 2/3 the real PPI of an RGB matrix) and so the actual higher PPI of Rezound and iPhone 4/S blow this screen away. It's not a terrible screen by any stretch of the imagination but to call it "the best screen ever" is quite hilarious.

really liking the audio quality off of this from google music w/o using the EQ and I didn't even set for it to stream at the highest quality (listening to late registration)

The audio quality of this phone is really impressive. I actually wonder what the original Galaxy S sounds like now, since that uses a semi-legendary Wolfson DAC. The GSII (and presumably the Tuna) use a Yamaha DAC which supposedly isn't nearly as good and I still say it's the best audio I've ever heard out of a mobile phone.

Gabyskra

Banned
Because it's NOT "the best screen ever"? I love my Tuna but there's nobody sane on Earth who thinks this is "the best screen ever", because it's not. It really isn't. My Droid X has a similar actual PPI (remember that PenTile has 2/3 the real PPI of an RGB matrix) and so the actual higher PPI of Rezound and iPhone 4/S blow this screen away. It's not a terrible screen by any stretch of the imagination but to call it "the best screen ever" is quite hilarious.

Comparing 3.5" to 4.65" makes no sense. It's like comparing 14" to 22"...

Comparing 3.5" to 4.65" makes no sense. It's like comparing 14" to 22"...

The Rezound has a 4.3" screen, and if you ignore the permanent soft buttons on the bottom of the Tuna, the actual usable screen area is comparable.

I didn't want the Rezound because of Sense. After I experienced CM7 on my X I knew that stock Android would be a requirement on my phones, so it was Tuna or nothing.

You mentioned the iphone 4S.

and so the actual higher PPI of Rezound and iPhone 4/S blow this screen away.

and so the actual higher PPI of Rezound

Cipherr

Are we in some imaginary world where PPI is the sole metric that makes one screen superior to another? C'mon now gentlemen, lets not do this. Please...

Yes, I read that. You ALSO mentioned the iphone 4S, is that better worded? I get your point, you're in favor of ppi over size, I'm the other way around, but at least I acknowledge what you base your preference on, rather than simply dismiss it.

This statement doesn't make sense. There will eventually be a 4.65" full RGB matrix AMOLED screen, probably in early 2012 when Galaxy S III comes out in Korea. I favor both PPI and size, but I decided not to wait until the GSIII is available in North America late 2012 so I went with the Tuna.

seriously... I just love this screen and have been so impressed by it. This phone is so damn sexy, I might not buy a case...

I would get a case for it. Samsung phones are not known for their build quality or durability. My X feels like a tank compared to my Tuna, and I'm not just talking about the difference in weight.

kinggroin

Banned
Are we in some imaginary world where PPI is the sole metric that makes one screen superior to another? C'mon now guys, lets not do this. Please...

I appreciate the larger screen size, viewing angle, and black levels on this device more than the rgb based displays in other devices. Still, I can understand why some would be turned off by the tech's inherent shortcomings.

Personally, I think there a things that deserve more attention than this display. The shitty camera (I finally put it through its paces today, and my old X murders it) and crapolla browser.

That said, one of those can be fixed through software updates. That would make this phone an 9/10 for me, which is higher than I'd ever give any mobile device this early in its ownership. Until then, a solid 7.5!

The Rezound has a 4.3" screen, and if you ignore the permanent soft buttons on the bottom of the Tuna, the actual usable screen area is comparable.

I didn't want the Rezound because of Sense. After I experienced CM7 on my X I knew that stock Android would be a requirement on my phones, so it was Tuna or nothing.

I agree with this. The Rezound does have a nice screen, arguably better (not sure anyone here has played around with it long enough to say it's perfect) but the drawbacks of Sense and the draw of ICS negate the Rezound vs Nexus.

I see why Samsung has placed the power button and the earplug outlet where they have. It makes sense when you listen to music and/or always place the phone in your pockets. It may seem obvious to some but I've wondered what was the reasons for this. The LED at the bottom fits the phone in the pocket idea well too.

With that being said, Samsung must have thought through an earpiece is the only way persons planned to listen to audio on this phone. The normal audio is ridiculously low while the headset audio is just loud enough to not give you hearing problems.

Posted from my Nexus

I appreciate the larger screen size, viewing angle, and black levels on this device more than the rgb based displays in other devices. Still, I can understand why some would be turned off by the tech's inherent shortcomings.

Personally, I think there a things that deserve more attention than this display. The shitty camera (I finally put it through its paces today, and my old X murders it) and crapolla browser.

That said, one of those can be fixed through software updates. That would make this phone an 9/10 for me, which is higher than I'd ever give any mobile device this early in its ownership. Until then, a solid 7.5!

Other than the lack of Flash support what is wrong with the browser?

kinggroin

Banned
Other than the lack of Flash support what is wrong with the browser?

It supports flash, but its performance with it playing leaves a bit to be desired. Especially to the gs2. Lack of tabs suck ass, as does the absence of a bookmarks button on the main title bar. Typing in some text fields can still be pretty laggy (a seperate text input popup box would fix that no doubt).

Zaptruder

Banned
I've been using a pentile screen for the last couple weeks now (with my Galaxy Note).

It's different, but it's not worse (or better). Suggestions that it's markedly inferior is blowing shit out of proportion.

single pixel width straight lines aren't as crisp, I'll grant you that much, but it does have a natural sort of noisy anti-aliasing which is in some circumstances, to its benefit.

Menelaus

Banned
Picked up the soft striated case at Verizon today, was cheap as hell and a really good decision. Now I can throw the phone around and actually grab it with confidence!

Dinosur

So even when you dismiss (ala swiping off) a notification, Lightflow still pulsates that you have something going on. Is that an option you can turn off?

Like, I cleared my gmail notification since it was just some Steam confirmation, but the light kept going off even though nothing else was there.

So even when you dismiss (ala swiping off) a notification, Lightflow still pulsates that you have something going on. Is that an option you can turn off?

Like, I cleared my gmail notification since it was just some Steam confirmation, but the light kept going off even though nothing else was there.

Set lightflow to dismiss when you pull down the notification bar :]

Top Bottom