• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Salaadin

This might seem like a silly question but do they ever release "cases" that only cover the back of a phone? I love the GNex when it is naked but the back is very slippery. I worry that im going to drop it.

Ashhong

This might seem like a silly question but do they ever release "cases" that only cover the back of a phone? I love the GNex when it is naked but the back is very slippery. I worry that im going to drop it.

Well how could it only cover the back? There are plenty that cover the back and just the bezel around the screen. You could also look into the InvisibleShields. Reduces slipperiness

which games run at the phone's native res? thought fieldrunners hd would but looks like no. zookeeper dx otoh looks very nice....

Asphalt 6 from the $0.10 sale runs at the native res and looks great. Too bad it's a bit broken at the moment, it doesn't set the accelerometer correctly so instead of tilting the phone left and right to steer, you have to tilt it up and down.

rozay

Banned
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1395390

ZnK59.jpg

I have an idea for something to do to mine when I get it but it shall remain a secret for now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Asphalt 6 from the $0.10 sale runs at the native res and looks great. Too bad it's a bit broken at the moment, it doesn't set the accelerometer correctly so instead of tilting the phone left and right to steer, you have to tilt it up and down.

Ah crap that was one of the few I didn't grab b/c I'm not into racers!

womp

As great as the nexus is, in this thread we realize that the Droid X was Verizon's greatest android device. I'm gonna miss it.

Yep...It had a great run. Great device with horrendous software since day one. I had a custom ROM on that thing as soon as one came out.

Moto has great fit and finish, build quality, awesome antennas, insane speakers but crappy software in their devices.

I will miss my X but it is time to move on. My wife's Droid 3 has a worse screen than my X or OG Droid, which is really sad. I dropped my X twice in the entire time I owned it (18 months) but outside some minor dust under the glass? Thing looks like it came right out of the box - Built like a tank.

I'm kinda disappointed with the movie decoding on this device. The default movie player isn't worth jack and the ones from the market aren't reliable. They're hit and miss as far as mkv files go and even some avi files.

The GSII I had for a week played everything I threw at it straight out the box.

kinggroin

Banned
Yep...It had a great run. Great device with horrendous software since day one. I had a custom ROM on that thing as soon as one came out.

Moto has great fit and finish, build quality, awesome antennas, insane speakers but crappy software in their devices.

I will miss my X but it is time to move on. My wife's Droid 3 has a worse screen than my X or OG Droid, which is really sad. I dropped my X twice in the entire time I owned it (18 months) but outside some minor dust under the glass? Thing looks like it came right out of the box - Built like a tank.

Yeah, should have added the qualifier, CM7 or equivalent 3rd party rom. Stock moto is nothing but a rebooting, battery sucking nightmare.

Some good news though. My wife decided to trade in her continuum instead, so the X stays in the family a little longer. Yay

kehs

Banned
There's actually android code in the OS to specify LED notification colors, note everyone actually follows it though. I think Google removed it from Gmail at one point and made them white.

BigFwoosh

This has probably been asked already, but does anybody know of a good 4g toggle widget that works with the G-Nex? I'm talking a direct toggle, not just a widget that takes you to network settings.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My GN is coming tomorrow. Shipment is three days early.

Finally, a true Android GAFer gets his GN.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yup, gvoice is green

I just customized the hell out of everything with Light Flow. I generally don't like layering on too many little tweaky apps, especially if they hog memory (ahem, every alternate keyboard), but light flow is pretty lightweight and the customizability is really nice.

lunchtoast

So my GN talks (text to speech) when I'm using the browser, and I can't figure out how to turn it off, anyone else having this issue? I checked the settings and all the accessibility is turned off. I always have to have the media volume turned off to browse.

Feep

Banned
I fall more in love with this phone every day. There's really only one issue for me at the moment, and it's that SwiftKeyX somehow loses a lot of its functionality (basically all auto and predictive capabilities) in certain apps, most notably the browser. I wonder if they'll release an update to fix this...?

I fall more in love with this phone every day. There's really only one issue for me at the moment, and it's that SwiftKeyX somehow loses a lot of its functionality (basically all auto and predictive capabilities) in certain apps, most notably the browser. I wonder if they'll release an update to fix this...?

I just came in here to ask this very thing. Yeah it works with texts which is awesome, but not with secondapps and I can't get it to work :(

Piano

Banned
Dammit, the phone is $150 on Amazon but only for those opening new accounts. $250 for an existing line on a family plan.

Any chance of it hitting $200 any time soon? Maybe a pre or post christmas sale?

Al-ibn Kermit

Dammit, the phone is $150 on Amazon but only for those opening new accounts. $250 for an existing line on a family plan.

Any chance of it hitting $200 any time soon? Maybe a pre or post christmas sale?

I think it's reasonable to expect the price to fall that much within a month. Verizon phones seem to drop in price super fast, possibly because they start so high.

Well, this is stupid. The Samsung Remote Android app, which lets me control my Samsung PN64D7000 plasma TV using the Bluetooth connection, is currently not compatible with my Galaxy Tuna by Samsung. The Samsung Smart View app, which lets me control it over WiFi or wired network if both the TV and the phone are connected to the same network, is also not compatible. Hey Samsung, how many more Samsung products should I buy before you can make my existing Samsung products work with my other Samsung products? Grrrr....

thespot84

It's not hacked, it's the .apk from the Nexus s 4G, matched with md5 sums.

Seems like Google included the necessary library files with the 4.0.2 updates.

Wait, this is like the liars paradox. Everything else you've said before sounds like a lie, but this sounds like the truth, and I want to believe you. what do I do!?

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm kinda disappointed with the movie decoding on this device. The default movie player isn't worth jack and the ones from the market aren't reliable. They're hit and miss as far as mkv files go and even some avi files.

The GSII I had for a week played everything I threw at it straight out the box.

I agree :/. Files that my Galaxy Note played just fine is stuttering on the Nexus. Do any of the hardware decoding add-ons in the Market work?

rozay

Banned
Does anyone know if Expansys will deal with sending the phone to the respective country for servicing? Will they honor that ability if I was the second owner of that phone?

Blackhead

Redarse
MX Video Player is playing all my XViD files just fine. (shrug)

But did you try Mkv files - which was the OP's main complaint? Also MX has all these hardware decoder add-ons and various apks which i can't make head or tail out of... i just tried DICE player. It works, yay, but there's no way to buy the full version, boo! Why do these developers try to go around Google Checkout? Dont they want my money? Bah, I dont have enough space on the phone for HD videos anyway :/

Feep

Banned
But did you try Mkv files - which was the OP's main complaint? Also MX has all these hardware decoder add-ons and various apks which i can't make head or tail out of... i just tried DICE player. It works, yay, but there's no way to buy the full version, boo! Why do these developers try to go around Google Checkout? Dont they want my money? Bah, I dont have enough space on the phone for HD videos anyway :/
.m4v/.mp4 worked fine, haven't tried .mkvs....

Wait, this is like the liars paradox. Everything else you've said before sounds like a lie, but this sounds like the truth, and I want to believe you. what do I do!?

You should install it. It's been confirmed that it's the exact .apk ripped from the Market. If Google ever officially supported Wallet on Verizon's Tuna, it would link correctly to the Market and you could update it from there.

Blackhead

Redarse
web version should have them all in there

thank you

Edit: ffuuuuu google. My apps page on the android market website goes blank when i try to get past the Ps. why can't i have nice things
other than this Nexus which is the nicest phone i've ever used <3 Google

Well, this is stupid. The Samsung Remote Android app, which lets me control my Samsung PN64D7000 plasma TV using the Bluetooth connection, is currently not compatible with my Galaxy Tuna by Samsung. The Samsung Smart View app, which lets me control it over WiFi or wired network if both the TV and the phone are connected to the same network, is also not compatible. Hey Samsung, how many more Samsung products should I buy before you can make my existing Samsung products work with my other Samsung products? Grrrr....

do they genuinely not work even after sideloading? maybe they need some touchwiz framework libraries?

Maxrunner

Tuna??? the Galaxy Nexus doesnt work with those apps? that's just stupid...

Gunsmithx

Just picked up my Gnex and so far it's awesome, coming from an Iphone 3g this thing is just heads and shoulders better. Also ordered the extended battery as well. Now it's time to find a case.

Top Bottom