• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
So even when you dismiss (ala swiping off) a notification, Lightflow still pulsates that you have something going on. Is that an option you can turn off?

Like, I cleared my gmail notification since it was just some Steam confirmation, but the light kept going off even though nothing else was there.

It does that until you actually check the offending email.

Or what he said.

Dinosur

Half the time News and Weather app can't get my location either. I'd wonder if it was a problem, but most of the time my Droid 1 said I was in Scotland even though I'm in the middle of nowhere Illinois.

Some thoughts on ICS and The Galaxy Nexus:

+ Uninstalling apps by dragging them from the drawer is an awesome addition. Saves digging through menus.

+ Everything is smooth. Almost too smooth. I don't think I'll need a new phone for a looooooong time.

+ The camera is blazing quick. My bro-in-law (4S owner), remarked "holy shit that thing is fast."

+ Vivid screen. When the brightness is set to full, this screen blows almost any other phone away.

+ Contacts list is finally nice. Manageable, and things are found in logical spots. Very nice.

+ Face Unlock is nifty. Nothing more nothing less.

+Ability to drag the notification bar while in the lockscreen is a Godsend. Thank you, google!

- Is there no way to resize a photo natively? When I went to "advanced editing" on gingerbread, there was a resize option.

- The fact that you can disable the google bar but can't utilize the freed real estate sucks.

- Browser takes a little getting used to, and wish they had included gesture support, or at least a way to get to your bookmarks instantly.

Everything else is butter. Such a good phone.

lunchtoast

The phone keeps doing text to speech when i use the browser. I checked all the settings and it's all turned off. Can't figue out why it's doing this.

yacobod

Banned
picked up my nexus tonight at the verizon store, been playing around with it since, pretty awesome, huge upgrade from my original droid.

crustikid

Thought I'd post how the extended battery worked out for me today during normal usage pattern (graph from 4.0 from 100% to 5% battery life):
GUHS1.png

Coming from iOS, I definitely could have squeezed out a few more hours from the phone if I had been more diligent about killing tasks, shutting off location services, shutting off sync, and putting brightness on the lower setting.

There is a replacement launcher for ICS that will remove the google bar and let you use the space..

No way to do it with the stock one, though.

There is a replacement launcher for ICS that will remove the google bar and let you use the space..

No way to do it with the stock one, though.

I know... I have LauncherPro but for some reason the app draw seems a little laggy on my Nexus. Plus, I love the stock app drawer. :/

Aesius

This phone is just blowing my mind. I'm coming from a shitty LG Dare that I've had for three years, so obviously this is my first smartphone. It's just amazing. I feel like the gap in technology between the two phones is like 10 years rather than three.

Also, I used to be impressed by my girlfriend's myTouch 4G, but the Nexus just puts it to shame in every conceivable way.

Love, love, love this phone.

Forsete

My replacement GN is on its way back from France. :)

I ordered two covers from PDair. A "Book Type" and a "Vertical Pouch".
3BSSNEB41_1.jpg

I used a similar looking one with my 3GS but the screen got scratched when a burr fell inbetween the cover and the glass. :/

3BSSNEVX1_1.jpg

If they dont work out I'll probably get one of the Otterbox cases.

Salaadin

Anyone have the extended battery and the seidio surface case? Does it still fit with the extended battery in?
Everything im reading says that the extended adds very little thickness but seidios cases are pretty snug.

This driztronic case is ok but i find that it pushes my volume controls a lot. Id prefer a case where the controls are cut out.

I turned off 4G since it makes negligable difference for 90% of my use (browsing NeoGAF, gReader, etc.). However, i would like a quick access shortcut to use in case i need to video chat or download a video or something. Is there a widget to quickly toggle between LTE/CDMA and CDMA only?

crustikid

I would not keep that on all the time. It causes some issues with some apps.

Yeah so far ive only had an issue with spotify when the app is trying to sync to subscribed playlists, but thats it so far. It makes the twitter and facebook apps more usable so the good outweighs the bad.

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah so far ive only had an issue with spotify when the app is trying to sync to subscribed playlists, but thats it so far. It makes the twitter and facebook apps more usable so the good outweighs the bad.

Really? I find it doesn't do jack shit to any of the 2d apps as far as performance is concerned.

Menelaus

Banned
Has anyone figured out if you can nest your recent calls? CM7 (and vanilla gingerbread iirc) had all calls from the same contacts nested into a single entry...seems like a step back.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
CDMA can't do voice and data. But can VZW's version of LTE?

Husker86

CDMA can't do voice and data. But can VZW's version of LTE?

It uses 3G for voice, LTE for data, so you can do it. By the time LTE replaces everything it will do both.

Also, since my Thunderbolt can do voice/data on CDMA 3G with Verizon, I wonder if the GN can too.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Coming from iOS, I definitely could have squeezed out a few more hours from the phone if I had been more diligent about killing tasks, shutting off location services, shutting off sync, and putting brightness on the lower setting.

My Droid X with the extended battery would hardly be at 50% after 8 hours of normal use, ouch.

I don't get the Nexus, the screen is huge, 720P is too much and will only hurt the rendering speed due to having more pixels. Besides ICS, there is nothing attractive to it. The Razr looks better in every way.

womp

My Droid X with the extended battery would hardly be at 50% after 8 hours of normal use, ouch.

I don't get the Nexus, the screen is huge, 720P is too much and will only hurt the rendering speed due to having more pixels. Besides ICS, there is nothing attractive to it. The Razr looks better in every way.

I have had the X since launch, stayed up until 1am to order it...Just got the Nexus - I ain't ever going back. :)

thespot84

It uses 3G for voice, LTE for data, so you can do it. By the time LTE replaces everything it will do both.

Also, since my Thunderbolt can do voice/data on CDMA 3G with Verizon, I wonder if the GN can too.

I just called my voicemail, stayed on the line, and surfed the web. pretty sure it works.

garath

As great as the nexus is, in this thread we realize that the Droid X was Verizon's greatest android device. I'm gonna miss it.

It was hard leaving the Droid X behind. The signal strength, the battery life, the vibration, the speaker, the build quality. It was all top notch. It's why I'm perfectly comfortable not having insurance for my nexus. If it blows up I'll just keep using my X until I have another upgrade.

thespot84

On 3G? Wonder if they'll make that a standard for new phones.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I had 4g on. I guess I can't be sure what radio was being used for what, though the web browsing seemed pretty snappy. If i had to guess I'd say the 3g was for the voice, the lte for the data. If that was already determined and this is redundant then my bad.

Husker86

Maybe I wasn't clear. I had 4g on. I guess I can't be sure what radio was being used for what, though the web browsing seemed pretty snappy. If i had to guess I'd say the 3g was for the voice, the lte for the data. If that was already determined and this is redundant then my bad.

Yeah I was inquiring about 3G, thanks though! And yeah, voice remains on 3G when using data on 4G.

IIRC, only Qualcomm SoC's have the potential ability to do SVDO

Ah ok, didn't know it was a hardware deal.

Is there any cover that doesnt make the phone look like complete shit? Seriously this phone looks amazing without one.

I honestly love this phone more and more everyday. I was playing with my friend's iphone 4 and I really couldnt get used to the screen.

Kaiken

Banned
Here's my battery stats with over average use. Quite a bit of playing around with it.

And another pic of using over 1GB of data in three days. Gotta love unlimited LTE! ;)

It was hard leaving the Droid X behind. The signal strength, the battery life, the vibration, the speaker, the build quality. It was all top notch. It's why I'm perfectly comfortable not having insurance for my nexus. If it blows up I'll just keep using my X until I have another upgrade.

Yeah, the thing about Motorola is, the quality of their hardware is second-to-none. Apple makes phones of out of glass which shatters, HTC and Samsung make their phones out of 100% plastic, even the CPU is plastic, meanwhile Motorola is busy using metal frames and Kevlar. The difference is quite hilarious in build quality between Motorola and everybody. Motorola is like the Lenovo ThinkPad of the cell phone world.

It's too bad their software sucks so much ass. And also they are putting really terrible, awful PenTile LCDs on their newer phones, the X was one of the last to use an honest-to-God RGB matrix IPS LCD which was and is just fantastic.

I'm hanging on to my X for the same reason, if I ever drop my Tuna in the sink or something, I'll still have my X. It's really a pretty decent phone with CM7 instead of MotoShit. CM9/ICS will probably actually be really nice on the X, which has a 1 Ghz TI OMAP3360 CPU and 512MB of RAM.

As great as the nexus is, in this thread we realize that the Droid X was Verizon's greatest android device. I'm gonna miss it.

It's funny how many people I've seen who've just gotten an X recently, as it's frequently available for free these days. The X has great hardware but I wouldn't wish the MotoShit on my worst enemy. Well, actually, I would. But I wouldn't wish it on people I like.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
which games run at the phone's native res? thought fieldrunners hd would but looks like no. zookeeper dx otoh looks very nice....

Top Bottom