• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Menelaus

Banned
For people that want actual HD quality out of their Netflix streams on the GN, someone at XDA has obliged.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1394637

The difference is dramatic, it's finally up to par with the iPhone version in video quality. A dramatic difference.

Tron isn't an HD title on Netflix, so the OP of that thread is either retarded or taking crazy pills.

Placebo effect. Also, no fullscreen? I laughed.

thespot84

Tron isn't an HD title on Netflix, so the OP of that thread is either retarded or taking crazy pills.

It's noticeably better, i'm watching iron man two right now I'd i'd give up the small percentage of size for better quality.

Morts

So there's no notification LED on this phone? That'll take some getting used to. Other than that I'm loving the upgrade from my Droid 1.

Also, apparently I can't get 4G at my house despite Verizon's coverage map indicating the opposite. That's... annoying.

crustikid

I know you can use any micro USB charger, but does anyone know anywhere that I could get another one of the chargers supplied with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus?

Menelaus

Banned
So there's no notification LED on this phone? That'll take some getting used to. Other than that I'm loving the upgrade from my Droid 1.

Also, apparently I can't get 4G at my house despite Verizon's coverage map indicating the opposite. That's... annoying.

Of course there's an LED. Download Lightflow.

Sky Chief

Every day this phone amazes me more and more. I just used Google Wallet to buy a Gatorade at 7-Eleven and it blew my mind! Even the cashier had never seen that before and everyone had questions for me about my phone. People were acting like i just came out of a time machine. Google Wallet is bad ass!

kinggroin

Banned

Nope, not placebo. It may not be 1080p, but its at the very least 720p. Just tested the spectacular spiderman series and ironman 2. Both looked quite amazing.

MercuryLS

Banned
Again, I seriously doubt that. It's not an HD title. Netflix classifies HD as 720p and above.

Regardless if it's not a HD title, just comparing the screens you can tell there's a big difference. I've tested out the app myself and there is a large difference, videos used to look blurry and low res. They're crisp now and look HD.

Menelaus

Banned
It IS an hd title. My kid watches the series on ps3 and its labeled HD. The difference isnt subtle.

Then they very recently reuploaded it HD. It's been a Starz title since it has existed on streaming, and Starz titles aren't HD.

Good news, since I was holding out for the Bluray!

edit: not HD on xbox...

Husker86

6 months no interest/payments on PayPal's BillMeLater is tempting me to buy a GN on eBay...I already have the line of credit so I wouldn't be opening a new one or anything. I hate my tech addiction.

Anyone having any trouble copying files over to the nexus?

I am running Win7 64 bit, and I can't copy any files over...it just gets stuck.

I read other people having the same problems? anyone know how to fix this?

Cipherr

6 months no interest/payments on PayPal's BillMeLater is tempting me to buy a GN on eBay...I already have the line of credit so I wouldn't be opening a new one or anything. I hate my tech addiction.

In 6 months youll be looking at posts from people importing the Galaxy S3, lol.

Husker86

In 6 months youll be looking at posts from people importing the Galaxy S3, lol.

Well one comfort I have is that since I'm on Verizon, I won't have the option of an S3 until probably December 2012 (if that). I also think I'm going to be a Samsung convert (always had HTC) and Verizon is basically Motorola all the way so this will be the best Samsung phone for a little while...see how good I am at justifying things to myself?

So I guess I just cant transfer files to my nexus using my computer....and I can't use a memory card. THis is so fucking stupid. Apparently it has to do with MTP and windows 7, but this shit should be resolved. SO BASICALLY...Cant have files period...on my nexus unless they are newly made ones made via the nexus. SWEET!

Aeana

I'm getting really annoyed with the inconsistency of the placement of the menu button (3 vertical dots) in apps in ICS. In legacy apps, it seems to get placed to the right of the buttons in the bottom bar, which is my preferred location. In other apps like the browser, it goes in the top right corner. Why can't it just be in the same place in all apps (bottom preferably so I can reach it without moving my hand)? :(

BigFwoosh

I'm getting really annoyed with the inconsistency of the placement of the menu button (3 vertical dots) in apps in ICS. In legacy apps, it seems to get placed to the right of the buttons in the bottom bar, which is my preferred location. In other apps like the browser, it goes in the top right corner. Why can't it just be in the same place in all apps (bottom preferably so I can reach it without moving my hand)? :(

The button appears at the bottom of the screen with the home, back, and multitask buttons if the target SDK of the app is pre-Honeycomb. It would make sense for new ICS apps to target ICS, so that menu button won't appear there, and to compensate the developers put it in the action bar (a new UI element that came with Honeycomb).

It's basically going to be an inconsistency until most apps make the transition to not support Gingerbread and below. Google is clearly trying to get developers to put the menu button in the action bar in the future.

rozay

Banned
Apps made for 4.0 and up will have the 3 dot menu button on the screen, if it shows up on the bottom its running in compatibility mode since its an android 2.x app.

Its meant to make it more clear to users that there are options. If it wasn't for the fact that there are still going to be android handsets shipping with 4 soft keys, I would agree.

3phemeral

This. Needs consistency, it's irritating. It's either very top, very bottom, or where the soft keys are. Also, my bluetooth + silent-music issue is back.

Apps made for 4.0 and up will have the 3 dot menu button on the screen, if it shows up on the bottom its running in compatibility mode since its an android 2.x app.

The problem is that even Google's own apps are inconsistent, some place the 3 vertical dots on top, others on the bottom.

I get what Matias Duarte was trying to accomplish by moving the Settings button off the bottom bar but I'm not sure he understood the scale of the undertaking with over 300,000 apps already on the Android Market designed for the bottom placement of the Settings button. Most of those apps will never be updated, so we will probably be living with the Settings button schizophrenia of being randomly on top or bottom forever.

MercuryLS

Banned
From my understanding, other than the Verizon version, all other international GSM versions are stock. I got mine from Bell in Canada as well and am using it on Fido just fine.

Yeah it's a weird glitch, I can download from the market through wifi. Everything else works on my data plan except downloading though the market. Oh well.

Only for the sprint Nexus S.. since it is the only CDMA version of that phone, I think.. but you'll still get the update.

Yeah, both Maguro and Toro are officially being supported by Google, we'll all get the 4.0.3 update pushed to our Tunas. I'm sure Verizon is busy busting some kneecaps at Google as we speak over the signal problems that LTE Tuna is having, so that should be addressed soon as well.

3phemeral

Its meant to make it more clear to users that there are options. If it wasn't for the fact that there are still going to be android handsets shipping with 4 soft keys, I would agree.

From the end-user perspective this doesn't make sense. If I want to use the menu option it should either appear in the same place or near the same place. Having the menu option appear in different places does not inherently indicate "options," it's just an opportunity for confusion. Consistency == usability, personally.

kehs

Banned
Verizon get final "approval" for all their Nexus updates.

From the end-user perspective this doesn't make sense. If I want to use the menu option it should either appear in the same place or near the same place. Having the menu option appear in different places does not inherently indicate "options," it's just an opportunity for confusion. Consistency == usability, personally.

It's sloppy, but it's a solution for a transitional period.

The vertical dots represent "more options", in that sense it's consistent.

Yeah, both Maguro and Toro are officially being supported by Google, we'll all get the 4.0.3 update pushed to our Tunas. I'm sure Verizon is busy busting some kneecaps at Google as we speak over the signal problems that LTE Tuna is having, so that should be addressed soon as well.

I'm already running 4.03 on mine.. someone compiled it from source.. running great.

Some nice improvements, particularly in the gallery and multi-tasking menu.. it is much more responsive now.. the lag when pressing the multi-tasking (recent apps) is basically gone in 4.03

Top Bottom