• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
Missing a digital clock widget...

I hate the default analog clock

Use the Beautiful Widgets you got for $0.10 from the sale...

The only thing I've ever liked from HTC Sense is the big clock and weather widget, I had it on my phone since my days with the AT&T 8525 (HTC Hermes) running Windows Mobile 5.0 back when the widget thing was still called HTC Home. I ended up buying BW for full price the day I got my old X just for the clock and weather widget, which looks just like the HTC Sense (Home) one.

MiniKelly

I use the aptly named Digital Clock Widget.

I personally hate the look of the HTC clock, but it's true that Beautiful Widgets can pull that off if you so desire.

Thanks for the digital clock recommendation. I miss the 10 cents beautiful widget sale but i did find it for free at getjar.

I like the plain digital clock.

Been using this nexus for 1 day and love it so far. Very fast even on 3g.

crustikid

im not sure if im going ape shit but theres seems to be a feint green row of pixels that are popping up right alone the left border of my screen. Its noticible especially when viewing white pages.

Husker86

im not sure if im going ape shit but theres seems to be a feint green row of pixels that are popping up right alone the left border of my screen. Its noticible especially when viewing white pages.

You sure it's not the overscroll effect? Can't remember what color that was on my friend's GN...I'd assume it was blue but thought I'd throw that out there.

crustikid

You sure it's not the overscroll effect? Can't remember what color that was on my friend's GN...I'd assume it was blue but thought I'd throw that out there.

positive. I did a search and it seems like it might be a samoled thing. Definitely see something there because theres nothing to the same effect on the right side. Seems to only happen if i am viewing a white page (such as secondapps).

Husker86

positive. I did a search and it seems like it might be a samoled thing. Definitely see something there because theres nothing to the same effect on the right side. Seems to only happen if i am viewing a white page (such as secondapps).

You should invert colors in secondapps to save battery :)

Anyone?

Also, stock browser is perfection except for the fact that gifs are super choppy in it as oppossed to firefox browser

• Put the .APK file on your phone. [I usually place my apk's in the Download folder]
  • Go to Settings > Security > Unknown sources [Make sure it's checked]
  • Use a file manager [such as Astro File Manager available for free on the market] to locate the .APK file and install the widget.
  • Once installed, open your app drawer and scroll to the right where you'll find your widgets.
  • Long press on your desired widget and place it on your desired homescreen.

Congratulations you have just installed and placed the widget of your choice :]

• Put the .APK file on your phone. [I usually place my apk's in the Download folder]
  • Go to Settings > Security > Unknown sources [Make sure it's checked]
  • Use a file manager [such as Astro File Manager available for free on the market] to locate the .APK file and install the widget.
  • Once installed, open your app drawer and scroll to the right where you'll find your widgets.
  • Long press on your desired widget and place it on your desired homescreen.

Congratulations you have just installed and placed the widget of your choice :]

thanks. My prob was after downloading it. The widgets wasnt showing up in widgets for whatever reason but now it did. Wierd.

Blackhead

Redarse
I wouldn't mind the impressions of people who have migrated from the iPhone 4 to this. Cause thats the position I might be in.
I didnt migrate directly from an iPhone4 but I did use for long stretches of time over the past year and I got an iPhone4S briefly at launch. The Galaxy Nexus is the best phone on the market, the hardware is obviously better than the iPhone 4 and imo the software is better.**

WP has the best UI, most beautiful UI of the current generation but it just isnt feature complete yet. Android 4.0 is not as beautiful in some parts but it's more flexible. iOS is staid and boring in comparison to both and still cant do everything that Android can.

Where iOS still wins out is the ecosystem. Developers bust their ass to make the most polished apps possible within Apple's constraints. They make the iOS versions first and better. Most of the accessories are made for iOS (although I'm looking forward to smartwatches in the pipeline which will almost exclusively work with Android and other open OSs). When the new UI tools in ICS become more widely used then Android may finally catch up.

**Siri on the iPhone 4S is the one system feature that ICS doesnt have. I didnt find Siri compelling, I rarely used it. Others will swear by it. Dor some people, those who mostly use the text dictation feature, I'd argue that the text dictation in ICS is clearly superior.
The problem is that even Google's own apps are inconsistent, some place the 3 vertical dots on top, others on the bottom.

I get what Matias Duarte was trying to accomplish by moving the Settings button off the bottom bar but I'm not sure he understood the scale of the undertaking with over 300,000 apps already on the Android Market designed for the bottom placement of the Settings button. Most of those apps will never be updated, so we will probably be living with the Settings button schizophrenia of being randomly on top or bottom forever.
That's the price of progress. If a developer doesnt want to update his app then move on. It happens on iOS too when some developers took months to update for the retina display or to release an iPad version or to support the new iOS transferring files system and so on. I tried Google Listen for a minute, saw it wasnt updated and immediately downloaded a better substitute.

MiniKelly

is there an easier way to get to bookmarks in the stock browser?

It looks like i have to hit the folder icon at the top of the screen and then hit the bookmark button at the top. Thats 2 clicks both at the top of the screen which is not easy to reach with one hand. I miss the menu button in the 2.3 android browser.

Blackhead

Redarse

It looks like i have to hit the folder icon at the top of the screen and then hit the bookmark button at the top. Thats 2 clicks both at the top of the screen which is not easy to reach with one hand. I miss the menu button in the 2.3 android browser.

Hold the back button

Turn on the labs feature that allows you to bring up the menu by pressing your finger on the right or left side of the page. Its a pretty nifty feature.

am i the only one who expierence choppy gifs in stock browser? the stock browser is so beast but the choppy gifs are annoying. it doesnt chop in firefox browser but i rather use the stock one

I'm testing secondapps now and I'm not seeing green pixels on the left or right side of the display.. where do they show up on your phone?

rabhw

Yeah it's a weird glitch, I can download from the market through wifi. Everything else works on my data plan except downloading though the market. Oh well.

Hey, I had the same issue too on mobilicity. The known fix is to edit your APN settings so that the "Proxy" field is empty, instead of whatever is provided by default via your SIM card.

Worked for me on Mobilicity, and Telus users, and Fido users. Hopefully it works for you also :)

Mordeccai

Is it detrimental in any way to my phone or battery if I'm gaming on it a lot? I have like ten games from the app sale that i need to burn through, and have played games an average of three hours a day.

gcubed

Is it detrimental in any way to my phone or battery if I'm gaming on it a lot? I have like ten games from the app sale that i need to burn through, and have played games an average of three hours a day.

detrimental as in it will die quicker while gaming, but nothing else

I see a slight shade of green at lowest brightness. Not sure if thats the same thing...

I use brightness @ around 20-25%..

Lowest brightness makes the screen look like crap, imo.

What you're seeing is true of all SAMOLED displays that use a pentile matrix sub-pixel layout.. the effect is greatly mitigated by upping the brightness.. to the point that I don't see it @ 20%

Salaadin

Is there any real, proper way to charge a phone? I hear so many different things: Always let the charge run out before charging again, dont let it sit on the charger overnight, etc.
I pretty much kept my Droid Incredible on the charger anytime I was home and the battery now is much worse than it was a year ago. Figured I did something wrong.

Is there any real, proper way to charge a phone? I hear so many different things: Always let the charge run out before charging again, dont let it sit on the charger overnight, etc.
I pretty much kept my Droid Incredible on the charger anytime I was home and the battery now is much worse than it was a year ago. Figured I did something wrong.

Charge when needed and charge every night. Ive done that with all my phones and never had to replace a battery. With that said its good to just let ur battery run alltl the way down and die sometimes.

rozay

Banned

I'm pretty sure what you're seeing is the edge of the amoled screen. My friend's nexus doesn't display it but it's easily visible on my friend's galaxy S.

rabhw

So yeah, why the half assed browser google? Great side swipe menu, maybe add a button or two there?

You'll be happy to know then that they've added 2 new buttons to quick controls in 4.0.3!

Bookmarks and New Tab buttons have been added:

Dazzla

I didnt migrate directly from an iPhone4 but I did use for long stretches of time over the past year and I got an iPhone4S briefly at launch. The Galaxy Nexus is the best phone on the market, the hardware is obviously better than the iPhone 4 and imo the software is better.**

WP has the best UI, most beautiful UI of the current generation but it just isnt feature complete yet. Android 4.0 is not as beautiful in some parts but it's more flexible. iOS is staid and boring in comparison to both and still cant do everything that Android can.

Where iOS still wins out is the ecosystem. Developers bust their ass to make the most polished apps possible within Apple's constraints. They make the iOS versions first and better. Most of the accessories are made for iOS (although I'm looking forward to smartwatches in the pipeline which will almost exclusively work with Android and other open OSs). When the new UI tools in ICS become more widely used then Android may finally catch up.

**Siri on the iPhone 4S is the one system feature that ICS doesnt have. I didnt find Siri compelling, I rarely used it. Others will swear by it. Dor some people, those who mostly use the text dictation feature, I'd argue that the text dictation in ICS is clearly superior.

That's the price of progress. If a developer doesnt want to update his app then move on. It happens on iOS too when some developers took months to update for the retina display or to release an iPad version or to support the new iOS transferring files system and so on. I tried Google Listen for a minute, saw it wasnt updated and immediately downloaded a better substitute.

What was your Listen alternative? Is there one upgraded for 4.x?

I was sent this link from reddit, where I saw a question about battery life... apparently it's a bad idea to completely discharge the battery.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

You'll be happy to know then that they've added 2 new buttons to quick controls in 4.0.3!

Bookmarks and New Tab buttons have been added:

Does anyone else have issues with the quick controls and the secondapp neogaf site? Sometimes it pops up when i'm trying to long press the > on the right to open it up in a background tab to the last page which makes it a little annoying.

meh, not messing around with ROMs until Jelly Bean. I can wait. Its good to know at least its coming

Your choice..

I like not having to wait for google to release updated versions for ICS.. someone can just compile the source and release a rom like I linked above.

Top Bottom