• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

gcubed

Your not going to flash anything until november?

i didn't flash anything on my N1 until i needed extra storage... and even then the CM experience was decidedly shittier then stock, so i stick to stock for now until i see a need to mess around.

it requires me to do work, which i'm particularly against.

SimleuqiR

i didn't flash anything on my N1 until i needed extra storage... and even then the CM experience was decidedly shittier then stock, so i stick to stock for now until i see a need to mess around.

it requires me to do work, which i'm particularly against.

I agree with you. The tipping point for me rooting and installing CM was so I can use the the ext partition scripts to allow my Nexus One to breath. I think I have more than enough space in my GN for apps, music, and video. Don't see myself rooting and installing a custom rom any time soon.

That said, I still have not received the 4.0.2 update on my GSM Tuna. What gives Google?

I agree with you. The tipping point for me rooting and installing CM was so I can use the the ext partition scripts to allow my Nexus One to breath. I think I have more than enough space in my GN for apps, music, and video. Don't see myself rooting and installing a custom rom any time soon.

That said, I still have not received the 4.0.2 update on my GSM Tuna. What gives Google?

I'm installing custom roms for performance reasons.. the 4.03 rom I have installed with a custom kernel is running better than pure stock.

It looks and behaves exactly like out of the box ICS, just better performance. Not even changing the launcher.. but that's just me, I guess.

Is there any way to make it so when I receive an e-mail, the notification light doesn't go off, but it still alerts me in the notification bar? I can't seem to find it in the G-Mail app settings.

Also, is there a reason why the keyboard features (such as autocorrect, dictionary, etc.) don't work with the Secondapps GAF site?

SimleuqiR

Is there any way to make it so when I receive an e-mail, the notification light doesn't go off, but it still alerts me in the notification bar? I can't seem to find it in the G-Mail app settings.

Also, is there a reason why the keyboard features (such as autocorrect, dictionary, etc.) don't work with the Secondapps GAF site?

Label notifications should allow this. For example the "Notifications" Label on my account gives me notification on the bar, but does not make a sound of turns on the light.

rozay

Banned
They also changed the pop up when holding down the power button in 4.0.3; there are now icons underneath the power down, reboot, screenshot choices to pick silent, vibrate, or ring modes

Download LightFlow.

Can someone add that to the OP please? In Bold preferrably.

3phemeral

Has anyone else experienced connectivity issues when having Wifi on simultaneously with data? I was at a cafe last night and while connected to their wifi, I was completely unable to browse the web/download apps. Both wifi single and 3g/4g were greyed out. Turning off wifi re-established connectivity.

What was strange, though, is that if worked at home. Everywhere else, it seems to be a conflict.

Husker86

Has anyone else experienced connectivity issues when having Wifi on simultaneously with data? I was at a cafe last night and while connected to their wifi, I was completely unable to browse the web/download apps. Both wifi single and 3g/4g were greyed out. Turning off wifi re-established connectivity.

What was strange, though, is that if worked at home. Everywhere else, it seems to be a conflict.

You sure it wasn't a acceptance based network where you have to accept terms and somehow it just wasn't popping up for you? Forget what those networks are called but they bug the shit out of me.

3phemeral

You sure it wasn't a acceptance based network where you have to accept terms and somehow it just wasn't popping up for you? Forget what those networks are called but they bug the shit out of me.

Naw, it's not one of those. It's not like Coffee Bean, where you have to enter in a code via web form before gaining access. They have the SSID broadcasted and post their password on a chalkboard. No web-form access at all. :)

Although, what's interesting now is that I'm at work and have both wifi and data connected, both icons are greyed out, but I can use TuneIn Radio pro running perfectly fine with no hiccups. Not sure why the cafe was giving me issues, since my other devices (wifi only) connect via wifi all the time.

Concern has just turned into very minor concern.

Now, onto the extended-battery deal from Verizon: I was able to get it for the $25.00, but I've yet to see it shipped. Order confirmation emailed, but I get a "Page Not Found" when checking status. Eck!

Salaadin

Now, onto the extended-battery deal from Verizon: I was able to get it for the $25.00, but I've yet to see it shipped. Order confirmation emailed, but I get a "Page Not Found" when checking status. Eck!

I ordered mine Saturday for the 25.00 and never got a "shipped" email. My order number also leads to a "page not found".
Fed Ex showed up 10 minutes ago with my battery. Dont worry about it :)

The battery adds a small but nice amount of bulk. It gives it a slightly heavier/sturdier feel. I like it.
Now I just hope Seidio releases a case to accomodate it

3phemeral

I ordered mine Saturday for the 25.00 and never got a "shipped" email. My order number also leads to a "page not found".

The battery adds a small but nice amount of bulk. It gives it a slightly heavier/sturdier feel. I like it.
Sweeeeet! Awesome, thanks for that. I'm using this phone a lot more than my D2 and the battery life is killing me. I'll have to change my habits, of course, but man, the screen is so purty.

For the case, I'm hoping for a decent skin, but if there's a hard case that can accommodate the extra bulk, I'm completely there.

Also, I'm just about to jump on the Best Buy insurance deal. Does anyone have any experience with it? Seems exponentially better than Verizon's Asurion option.

thespot84

Naw, it's not one of those. It's not like Coffee Bean, where you have to enter in a code via web form before gaining access. They have the SSID broadcasted and post their password on a chalkboard. No web-form access at all. :)

Although, what's interesting now is that I'm at work and have both wifi and data connected, both icons are greyed out, but I can use TuneIn Radio pro running perfectly fine with no hiccups. Not sure why the cafe was giving me issues, since my other devices (wifi only) connect via wifi all the time.

Concern has just turned into very minor concern.

If you grey and have bars it means you're connected to an access point of some sort but not signed in or connected to google talk. Lots of places block this (port 442 I believe) so it means you can still use the internet but google services/push notifications won't work. When you're signed in to gtalk it's blue (or green on froyo/gingerbread)

That's not a warranty issue, though. samsung's recommended UK repair place wanted to know if he bought the phone from the UK, he said no.. and they opted not to help him.

I'd bet if he had said that he imported it from the UK through retailer X, that they would have repaired it.

He didn't contact expansys-usa to have them ship it to the UK, which is the way you would deal with a warranty repair..

every phone of UK origin has NO WARRANTY for someone in the US.. thus retailers like Expansys-USA will ship it to their UK branch, which will then contact samsung UK for warranty service.

3phemeral

If you grey and have bars it means you're connected to an access point of some sort but not signed in or connected to google talk. Lots of places block this (port 442 I believe) so it means you can still use the internet but google services/push notifications won't work. When you're signed in to gtalk it's blue (or green on froyo/gingerbread)
Ah, interesting. I wasn't aware of this. That makes sense for my work connectivity because they block google talk, Google music, yahoo messenger, etc etc.

gcubed

meh, you should have known this. He could have easily said it was from the UK since its only an import store in the US, no need for a repair place to know that. Its a UK phone, thats all that they need to know.

The actual proper method would be to talk to expansys. They would most likely either know a place they deal with, or work something out with the place the customer was referred to by Samsung. The poster seemed to go from 0 to jackass way too quick

edit... i took to long to post, robobandit beat me to it.

You acknowledge that when importing the phone, you dont have warranty service direct. You have to send it back to the company you bought it from first.

SimleuqiR

That's not a warranty issue, though. samsung's recommended UK repair place wanted to know if he bought the phone from the UK, he said no.. and they opted not to help him.

I'd bet if he had said that he imported it from the UK through retailer X, that they would have repaired it.

He didn't contact expansys-usa to have them ship it to the UK, which is the way you would deal with a warranty repair..

every phone of UK origin has NO WARRANTY for someone in the US.. thus retailers like Expansys-USA will ship it to their UK branch, which will then contact samsung UK for warranty service.

Yup. Just keep your Expansys receipt safe and sound, and the box too, just in case.

Husker86

Sweeeeet! Awesome, thanks for that. I'm using this phone a lot more than my D2 and the battery life is killing me. I'll have to change my habits, of course, but man, the screen is so purty.

For the case, I'm hoping for a decent skin, but if there's a hard case that can accommodate the extra bulk, I'm completely there.

Also, I'm just about to jump on the Best Buy insurance deal. Does anyone have any experience with it? Seems exponentially better than Verizon's Asurion option.

Best Buy's plan has gotten much better since I've worked there. Turn around time is a couple days, maybe 3; slightly slower than insurance, but no deductible/limits.

Just gotta remember that it doesn't cover lost/stolen.

3phemeral

Best Buy's plan has gotten much better since I've worked there. Turn around time is a couple days, maybe 3; slightly slower than insurance, but no deductible/limits.

Just gotta remember that it doesn't cover lost/stolen.
Thanks. I obviously don't expect it to be lost or stolen, and I'm more worried about damages. The prospect of replacing a cracked screen with a brand-new phone + no deductible is enticing enough for me to get it. Last time I lost a phone was my first one, obviously because I didn't develop habits that protected against careless-phone-placement syndrome.

gcubed

Thanks. I obviously don't expect it to be lost or stolen, and I'm more worried about damages. The prospect of replacing a cracked screen with a brand-new phone + no deductible is enticing enough for me to get it. Last time I lost a phone was my first one, obviously because I didn't develop habits that protected against careless-phone-placement syndrome.

also i believe there are two plans, make sure you choose the black tie plan. My wife just went through a fix and while the actual plan worked well, Geek Squad (at least the one by me) is run/staffed by a bunch of imbeciles.

3phemeral

also i believe there are two plans, make sure you choose the black tie plan. My wife just went through a fix and while the actual plan worked well, Geek Squad (at least the one by me) is run/staffed by a bunch of imbeciles.
Ah, I will ask about this during my lunch break. Thanks!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Ah, so that's what FedEx was trying to deliver yesterday. Awesome. My phone is at my doorstop right now. No GAFers try to steal it!

garath

I just got the extended battery today. Same situation. No shipped email, page not found on order status but lo and behold, it's here today.

The battery isn't physically much bigger but it adds quite a bit of "heft" to the phone. I actually don't like it. It's now off balance. I really enjoyed the phone as it was. However, the battery is the most important thing. So hopefully the extended gives a little more life.

On the bright side, the case I purchased from amazon fits just fine with the extended battery in there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065PGWQ0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

FireCloud

Has anyone tried the extended battery with the car dock? The biggest reason I chose not to get one for my Droid X was that the extended battery made the phone too thick for the dock.

rozay

Banned
meh, you should have known this. He could have easily said it was from the UK since its only an import store in the US, no need for a repair place to know that. Its a UK phone, thats all that they need to know.

The actual proper method would be to talk to expansys. They would most likely either know a place they deal with, or work something out with the place the customer was referred to by Samsung. The poster seemed to go from 0 to jackass way too quick

edit... i took to long to post, robobandit beat me to it.

You acknowledge that when importing the phone, you dont have warranty service direct. You have to send it back to the company you bought it from first.
I thought the poster said expansys wouldn't help when he said this:
So far as you can see I have been receiving a great customer service. Even though I bought my phone form Expansis-US which is part of Expansis in UK, I was told that they cannot do anything for me in term of service.
You might be right that I just misunderstood the wording and he actually hasn't contacted expansys, so I guess he needs to post again. Want to import one of these so bad but things like this will hopefully hold me off until best buy starts selling them.

I thought the poster said expansys wouldn't help?

He only mentioned that he bought it from them.. I saw nothing about him contacting expansys-usa

The issue is that he told the repair folks in the UK that he didn't buy the phone from the UK..

This probably made them think it was a US model.. since he said he bought it from expansys-usa.. they couldn't have known that expansys-usa imports UK phones to the US, so they referred him to samsung US to get a US-based repair company.

Forsete

First day of using the phone at work. I am satisfied with the battery life so far.

XrQ8r.png

yBnF1.png

GPS function rocks, works so much better than on my old 3GS. Driving home.
ukbZ7.jpg

derder

Just saw it in person today in the Verizon store.... pretty good. Not good enough for me to import, I'll just keep my Captivate ICS until I can find one used, my contract expires in July, or they release ICS for SGS2 Skyrocket or whichever happens first.

Just got the extended battery in the mail, came pretty quick I'll make sure to post updates. On a typical day on the regular battery I was getting 15 hours or so out of it (wifi at home and at work), on weekends not so much. It adds a little more heft to the phone making it feel more solid and the bump isn't that much different.
Is there any special way we should store the old battery? I figure I'll just keep it around for when this one starts to get crappy.

jchap

Finally posting from my galaxy nexus but the voice transcription here only would put in names from my contact list. Also i cant get the back cover on perfect

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Finally posting from my galaxy nexus but the voice transcription here only would put in names from my contact list. Also i cant get the back cover on perfect

Relatedly, be sure you turn on personalization for voice under settings. Makes it a lot better.

Top Bottom