• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Piano

Banned
Just stumbled on an ad from craigslist. Guy claims he can sell the Tuna at $200 even if you aren't eligible for an upgrade. He can fix that, he claims. I'm texting him suspiciously.

thespot84

Dammit, just when I was getting ready to pull the trigger...now I'm losing confidence.

Those two reboots are the ONLY problems I've had since I got the phone last thursday. I'm positive it's something that will be addressed, don't let it discourage you. I'm super happy so far.

thespot84

just an FYI, if anyone was having google+ instant upload problems there's actually an updated available for google+, however the market never notified me about it and it doesn't show up in my apps. You have to manually find google+ in the market (on the phone) and update. Works flawlessly now.

OchreHand

+1 me to the Nexus bandwagon :D

Had a real crappy LG "Smart" phone for several years (plastic touchscreen, but you couldn't even go on the internet with it), so it feels like I time traveled to the future with this phone.

Real happy with the Nexus right now. The interface is really slick and soon as I increased the brightness on my Nexus screen, I see what everyone is raving about. wow :O

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Got my unlimited data plan on Verizon through a trick. I hope it sticks. Awesome!

4kD0T.png

Mordeccai

Yeah, about the reboots, I went to Verizon today because I've had them since day one with my device.

Fucking absolute waste of my time, Verizon has never pissed me off more. You'd think it'd be as simple as walking in, presenting your receipt and verifying your identity to exchange your malfunctioning phone that you just paid 300 fucking dollars for, for a new functional device. But nope.

First, I waited an hour for a rep to see me. Whatever, understaffed, not their problem so no grudge there. So I tell the guy my phone has been randomly power cycling, and he says alright let's see what we can do.

Then, he starts dicking around with me. I had already called tech support and had them trouble shoot my device over the air. He goes "Well, we can't just trade you a new one, we have to verify something is wrong and be able to duplicate the error."

"But they're completely random. Happens in a different app every time, no discernible pattern."

"Well let me call tech support."

"I don't have the time for that honestly, I've already done it."

FUUUUUU. So he goes to the back for twenty minutes and does his thing even though I know its pointless. He then comes back and tells me they've done what they could and he can't give me another device. I tell him this doesn't make any sense, how do I know when I go back home that it will be fixed and that I won't have to drive all the way the hell back out here to do the same shit.

At this point he got pissed and told me to let him talk and tell me my options. Says I have to call tech if it happens again, and they'll send a device out if they can verify the reboots are happening by troubleshooting again. He told me it was most likely a software problem, and not a hardware problem. At that, I gave him an incredulous stare and told him I knew it wasn't a software issue because I've factory reset the phone and still gotten reboots.

And you know what his bullshit reply was? "Well, we can't verify that here."

At that point I said alright, thanks for wasting an hour and a half of my time, I'm just going to leave and call your manager later before I get too pissed to discuss here.

Fucking most frustrating thing ever.

sneaky77

Yeah, about the reboots, I went to Verizon today because I've had them since day one with my device.

Fucking absolute waste of my time, Verizon has never pissed me off more. You'd think it'd be as simple as walking in, presenting your receipt and verifying your identity to exchange your malfunctioning phone that you just paid 300 fucking dollars for, for a new functional device. But nope.

First, I waited an hour for a rep to see me. Whatever, understaffed, not their problem so no grudge there. So I tell the guy my phone has been randomly power cycling, and he says alright let's see what we can do.

Then, he starts dicking around with me. I had already called tech support and had them trouble shoot my device over the air. He goes "Well, we can't just trade you a new one, we have to verify something is wrong and be able to duplicate the error."

"But they're completely random. Happens in a different app every time, no discernible pattern."

FUUUUUU. So he goes to the back for twenty minutes and does his thing even though I know its pointless. He then comes back and tells me they've done what they could and he can't give me another device. I tell him this doesn't make any sense, how do I know when I go back home that it will be fixed and that I won't have to drive all the way the hell back out here to do the same shit.

At this point he got pissed and told me to let him talk and tell me my options. Says I have to call tech if it happens again, and they'll send a device out if they can verify the reboots are happening by troubleshooting again. He told me it was most likely a software problem, and not a hardware problem. At that, I gave him an incredulous stare and told him I knew it wasn't a software issue because I've factory reset the phone and still gotten reboots.

At that point I said alright, thanks for wasting an hour and a half of my time, I'm just going to leave and call your manager later before I get too pissed to discuss here.

yeah, always try to escalate to a manager, he probably gets bitched at if he exchanges it too easily or something

womp

Uh...Not too thrilled about this AMOLED burn-in/image retention situation. On a gray or white screen at lower than full out brightness I have two faded horizontal lines going across the upper center of the screen.

It almost seems like my home screen is imprinting upon itself. WTF? This phone is three days old and has been on auto-brightness.

Unfortunately this seems to be a product of the technology behind the screen from what I can tell, is this correct?

Damnit, I love this phone...Frustrating.

Not sure if this is a feature or what...

If your screen times out while you have dolphin open, you will see the three dot menu button when you wake your phone. Pretty nifty. I dont know how many apps will do this and I'm not sure how its affected by those with security enabled.

CcjBo.jpg

See the menu button? Anyone have an idea?

Edit: I guess it is a feature, as the button disappears if you have pattern lock enabled. Pretty cool.

Salaadin

having an issue where turning off wifi kills all data connections. I have bars but they are grey and no 3g above them. This is kind of annoying. I hope its software related and i wont need to return this.

Oozer3993

So the stock browser on my Nexus is absolutely gorging on the battery. It's going down almost a percent a minute while using the browser, but behaves normally when I'm not. This just cropped up today, the phone was great, battery wise, before that.

Stasis

That happened to me in Quebec at the Videotron (our Verizon basically...) store near me when I tried to exchange my Nexus 1. I had gone through tech support over the phone and determined there was a problem, but the guy in the store was finding random ass excuses for every issue I had. Navigation rebooting my phone every few minutes after a little use? It's beta. People occasionally hear me as though I'm talking through a tin can? I accidentally was on speaker (!?) etc. In the end he told me he couldn't replicate any of the issues (which is the first thing I said when I walked in, that it was random/took some time) and wouldn't exchange my phone.

I drove to another store 15 minutes out, walked in and walked out with an upgrade to a Nexus S in all of 10 minutes.

That's my advice.

kinggroin

Banned
So the stock browser on my Nexus is absolutely gorging on the battery. It's going down almost a percent a minute while using the browser, but behaves normally when I'm not. This just cropped up today, the phone was great, battery wise, before that.

post a screenshot of battery usage

Oozer3993

post a screenshot of battery usage

cTQDb.png

The big drops at the beginning, the middle, and the end were the three times I used the browser for any extended period. The battery was at 13% when this was taken.

bAJPH.png

At one point this morning, during that first big drop, the browser was second, at 24%, behind the screen. I installed BatteryMate a couple days ago and it tells you how long it took to lose the last 1% of battery, and when using the browser today it said 1 minute. I didn't think that sounded right so that's why I posted. Here's a screenshot I took a couple days ago:

NfVrd.png

My phone usage was roughly the same that day, maybe a little less browsing, but the browser took up way less battery.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How the hell do I add a bookmark?

How the hell do I add a bookmark?

Stock?

Make sure the address bar is showing.
Tap on the Menu Button
Click Save to Bookmarks

I put all mine in the Local folder as the one's synced to your account sometimes take a micosecond to load and that bugs me lol.

Also, enable Quick Controls (Settings > Labs > Quick Controls)
It takes a little getting used to, but once you get acclimated it makes surfing a bit quicker.

Alternatively, if you want to bookmark a page you visited earlier without loading it:

Hold the Back Button
Open the Appropriate List [e.g. Today]
Tap the Star
Done

:)

blitz64

having an issue where turning off wifi kills all data connections. I have bars but they are grey and no 3g above them. This is kind of annoying. I hope its software related and i wont need to return this.

I have seen this problem as well but I don't think it is related to wifi. It's random. turning off LTE and using cmda/3g mode seems to fix it for me.

Uh...Not too thrilled about this AMOLED burn-in/image retention situation. On a gray or white screen at lower than full out brightness I have two faded horizontal lines going across the upper center of the screen.

It almost seems like my home screen is imprinting upon itself. WTF? This phone is three days old and has been on auto-brightness.

Unfortunately this seems to be a product of the technology behind the screen from what I can tell, is this correct?

Damnit, I love this phone...Frustrating.

Transient image retention seems to be visible for a short time if you have something on the screen, then it goes to a gray screen for awhile. This is most easily seen in the Market app since it regularly shows the app's page, then it goes to a gray screen that says Loading, then it goes to the next screen.

I'm having a color uniformity issue with my Tuna's screen, the upper half of the screen seems to have a reddish cast and the lower half has a greenish cast. I don't know if this is supposed to be normal or not.

Bboy AJ

Thanks, RJ.

This phone is not possible for me to use one handed.

Bboy AJ

Why does a phone with 1 GB of RAM have to constantly refresh the browser?

SimleuqiR

http://androidniceties.tumblr.com/

A slick tumblr page showcasing the nicest, smoothest Android Apps. Instantly Bookmarked.

Thank you! Thank you!

I had no idea this app existed!

tumblr_lt55kjTAKf1r2wjwko1_500.png

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.fima.episodes

Edit:

Just bought it. UI is very sleek, but somewhat slow but it could be do to first time syncing. Hopefully it gets optimized.

It will always keep track of the next episode of every show you like, and will even integrate upcoming episodes with your selection of Google Calendar

woooot!!

Bboy AJ

You're the second person that has mentioned this. What is the problem with it doing so?

I don't want to have to wait for the page to refresh again. 1 GB of RAM means the browser should stayed cached. That's a lot of RAM.

Salaadin

Anyone know why the calendar widget says "no events to display" but when I click on it, there are clearly events in there? Its definitely syncing to google calendar but the widget just wont display anything other than a "No upcoming calendar events" message.

I love the look of the ICS calendar app and widget but its not doing anything that my DInc did in terms of displaying events. I loved the HTC calendar "agenda" mode but I cant get this one to replicate that. Any ideas/solutions/suggestions?

EDIT: Ahh, they disabled all day events for the widget temporarily. Looks like theyre back in 4.0.3
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1391191

Anyone know why the calendar widget says "no events to display" but when I click on it, there are clearly events in there? Its definitely syncing to google calendar but the widget just wont display anything other than a "No upcoming calendar events" message.

I love the look of the ICS calendar app and widget but its not doing anything that my DInc did in terms of displaying events. I loved the HTC calendar "agenda" mode but I cant get this one to replicate that. Any ideas/solutions/suggestions?

Any chance those events happened hours before? It auto-hides events prior to the current time.

Salaadin

Any chance those events happened hours before? It auto-hides events prior to the current time.

Theyre "all day" events. I found a post on xda and on the google forums stating that all day events were removed due to some issue but will be re-added shortly. Someone on xda posted a shot from his phone running 4.0.3 showing that all day events were back in that update.

Whenever 4.0.3 rolls out, I should be good.

gcubed

I think I'm switching since AT&T has pissed me off for the last time.

damnit. I can easily sell my Gnex and not lose much. I can sell my N1 also (since i can't really use it anymore as a swap to device). Where is the cheapest place to get a GNex? Amazon?

Bboy AJ

damnit. I can easily sell my Gnex and not lose much. I can sell my N1 also (since i can't really use it anymore as a swap to device). Where is the cheapest place to get a GNex? Amazon?

Yeah, Amazon is the cheapest. BUT, you should have bought it when I told you, man. I just checked and they increased the price to $190 from $150.

Top Bottom