• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Morts

Did I miss the sale on the extended battery? I can't even find it on Verizon's site anymore.

Also, even though I have the messaging app set to "Always Vibrate" it only seems to every once in a while.

Did you try going into sleep mode? Test should work then.

Now that I can see it works I won't need to test it anyway. Just need to customise the colours for my apps and there we go. This is the first phone I've ever unrooted and went back to pure stock. I was going to do so on the Nexus S and Nexus One but only for the benefit of the people I was selling it to.

All I want from future releases

- Faster auto rotate
- More responsive multi tasking key (apparently in 4.03 anyway).

I'd also like the search key back as some kind of 'advanced user/developer option' but that isn't going to happen. Now that lightflow is fine, that would leave only 2 reasons to root, one of which is nitpicking anyway.

I love this phone.

Test mode tells you to put your device to sleep to see the notifications. It works on the VZW GN I've set up.

I tried that and it still didn't work. As above though, it doesn't matter.

Blackhead

Redarse
is it possible for the notification led to blink even when the screen is on? It'd be a.great help in some fullscreen apps where the status bar isnt visible.

I notice that if you put a call on speakerphone the screen will still turn off. If you press the power button to turn it back on you end the call.

Fail!!

kinggroin

Banned
yeah so, this device rocks. Still, obviously not without its little issues here and there. That said, what would you guys like to see in future firmware updates?

Me personally, having the same ability as light flow built in would be nice. Faster rotation response. Hold multitask for voice commands, and just a general tidying up and further optimization.

This is definitely the most pleased I've been with a phone right off the bat. Never getting a branded android phone again.

sneaky77

So yesterday I could send images via txt message.. today I cant .. that seems to be the only issue I've had with this phone during the first week

So yesterday I could send images via txt message.. today I cant .. that seems to be the only issue I've had with this phone during the first week
Have you tried resizing the images beforehand? I recommend Photo Editor by dev.macgyver [free in the Market]. It's pretty lightweight and has quite a few effects/options built-in.

Still waiting for a good 4G toggle widget, but also looking for a Beautiful Widgets-esque brightness toggle that supports the auto setting. Anyone got one?

Stock toggle supports Auto-Brightness...

?

Mordeccai

Thats a setting you can toggle.

Also damn i always hit b instead of the spacebar.

I do the same thing haha. I text really really fast and when I look at the message sometimes its one long strain with B's interspersed between words haha.

I dunno whats up though. It feels like the first few days, I typed blazingly fast on this thing. Now, I can hardly type faster than I was on my OG droid's screen. Dunno if I'm just less enthusiastic about using the phone or what.

Morts

Is anyone else having call quality issues? Maybe I'm just being paranoid but the first couple calls I've made on this phone seem noticeably less clear than those on my crappy first gen Droid. I know there's a "signal fix" in the works but it sounds like that's just going to change the signal indicator, not actually boost call quality.

So far I love everything about this phone except its functionality as a phone.

Anyone know what the weather widget is in this screen?

wm_Screenshot_20111220152415.jpg

I'm looking for something like it, nice and simple, not animated and distracting, that shows the forecast for the next few days on the home screen. The default one, the gray rectangle, seems kinda wasteful of space.

Anyone know what the weather widget is in this screen?

wm_Screenshot_20111220152415.jpg

I'm looking for something like it, nice and simple, not animated and distracting, that shows the forecast for the next few days on the home screen. The default one, the gray rectangle, seems kinda wasteful of space.

Beautiful Widgets with Tick Skin

Can anyone here on T-mobile chime in on this?

The Youtube ICS app is amazing. The HQ videos looks really good, 720p feeds I'm guessing. The problem is, you can only get 720p feeds on WiFi. When I go over to mobile data, the same video I just watched is compressed and blurry although the "HQ" icon is still selected.

I then tethered from a Verizon 3g smartphone (rooted Incredible) and although it was slow as molasses, I got the same pristine 720p feed that I got on WiFi.

Can anyone with a LTE Nexus confirm that videos aren't compressed on Verizon?

I know all US carriers have a clause now that says they can compress and limit images and videos as they see fit, but this is happening 24/7 on T-mobile with the GSM Nexus.

kehs

Banned
Can anyone here on T-mobile chime in on this?

The Youtube ICS app is amazing. The HQ videos looks really good, 720p feeds I'm guessing. The problem is, you can only get 720p feeds on WiFi. When I go over to mobile data, the same video I just watched is compressed and blurry although the "HQ" icon is still selected.

I then tethered from a Verizon 3g smartphone (rooted Incredible) and although it was slow as molasses, I got the same pristine 720p feed that I got on WiFi.

Can anyone with a LTE Nexus confirm that videos aren't compressed on Verizon?

I know all US carriers have a clause now that says they can compress and limit images and videos as they see fit, but this is happening 24/7 on T-mobile with the GSM Nexus.

You can thank the absence of net neutrality for that.

thespot84

anyone know how I can get screenshots I take to be treated like pics so they instant upload?

EDIT: also, anyone use the dock icons for folders? I grouped things by type (dialers, messagine, social/web), and it seems super convenient:

Pretties:

Beezy

Were the -oid emulators all taken off the market place? I loved snesoid on my Motorola Droid even though it destroyed the battery. :(

The sad thing is people mocked the 4S as a pathetic 'bump' while parroting how the GN was going to destroy it technically. Turns out the 4S GPU demolishes it. So much for that.

You ever notice how the Apple cultists always troll in the Android threads, but nobody in the Android threads could give less of a shit about the iPhone/iPad threads and leave them alone? Funny, that. I think we know who's currently winning the marketshare wars these days.

Holy fuck I had forgotten how thin this thing is. I have had it in the Verizon case since day one, and it adds a decent amount of bulk. Taking it out even makes it feel FASTER, haha. Ridiculous how sexy this phone is naked.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Holy fuck I had forgotten how thin this thing is. I have had it in the Verizon case since day one, and it adds a decent amount of bulk. Taking it out even makes it feel FASTER, haha. Ridiculous how sexy this phone is naked.

Yeah I like the way the extended battery fills the phone out but at the same time it feels quite slick with the default battery.

crustikid

so i discovered the glorious poweramp, but am having issues with volume. I am using volume+, but none of the changes I am making to it seem to be applying to poweramp. My guess is that is because poweramp uses Direct Volume Control which bypasses the regular sound settings. Am I correct? I totally just shot it in the dark. My issue is that I want to be able to make things louder even on the highest setting it seems like it's two or three notches away from being too loud.

crustikid

Agreed. I bought the Diztonic case off Amazon because it was only 10 bucks, but its not the prettiest thing in the world, and if I ever nudge the left side of the phone the volume buttons get too sensitive.

I just took mine out of its case now....oh beautiful plastic :)

so i discovered the glorious poweramp, but am having issues with volume. I am using volume+, but none of the changes I am making to it seem to be applying to poweramp. My guess is that is because poweramp uses Direct Volume Control which bypasses the regular sound settings. Am I correct? I totally just shot it in the dark. My issue is that I want to be able to make things louder even on the highest setting it seems like it's two or three notches away from being too loud.

Remember, PowerAMP also has an equalizer; it includes a slider for gain.

Cudder

Use the EQ in PowerAMP, that's what it's for. You can either notch the main level fader (on the far left) all the way up, or select "Phone Speaker Loud" EQ preset.

crustikid

The preamp? UGh then it makes everything sound like shit. Lol.

Sidenote: who else has scratches already? I have a few. Perfect phone can't stay perfect :(

Cudder

The preamp? UGh then it makes everything sound like shit. Lol.

Sidenote: who else has scratches already? I have a few. Perfect phone can't stay perfect :(

Everything with a speaker has a volume limit. Making the sound louder by the EQ on your phone is obviously gonna make it distort and sound bad the higher you go. How high do you want it to go?

I didn't even know people listened to music through the crummy speakerphones on cell phones.

The Tuna has an absolutely fantastic headphone jack. Use it.

True. Sometimes you just don't want crap in your ears, though. Or wires. The headset that comes with the G-Nex seems decent enough, though, and I've heard really good things about the sound quality through the headphone jack. As weird as that last statement sounds, hah.

Clarification, I'm talking about my headphones, not the speakers. Using Klipsch S4i IEMs.

The headphone jack on the Tuna is probably plenty loud enough to cause hearing damage at the highest available volume, unless those Klipsch buds have a particularly low sensitivity. I don't know if anybody actually measured the dB output at the highest volume but I doubt it's safe. You sure you need to amp it up even further?

You can turn Direct Volume Control off in PowerAmp's options, but um, wow. I can barely stand 50% of the max volume by default with my headphones.

gimmmick

So the guy at the Verizon store last week when I was purchasing my Nexus told me that he prefers the Razr, especially since it's getting ICS soon.

After a little reading, it appears that it has better battery life and a more rugged construction, but the screen isn't as good as the Nexus.

What do you guys think? Personally, the Nexus blows me away every time I use it, but that's probably just because it is my first ever smartphone. Should I even entertain the possibility of exchanging my Nexus for a Razr?

No, keep your galaxy nexus. The reason why I'm keeping my bionic and not exchanging it for a nexus for the sole fact alone that I'm not paying 300 on contract for a phone. I got my bionic for 150 at best buy mobile and I'm happy with it. It's a budget price phone for me (I don't need the lastest and great... though it is always nice) and I actually prefer the the build quality and design of moto over samsung. I know my phone is also getting ICS so that isn't really a huge concern for me right now. (the phone is a screamer).

crustikid

The headphone jack on the Tuna is probably plenty loud enough to cause hearing damage at the highest available volume, unless those Klipsch buds have a particularly low sensitivity. I don't know if anybody actually measured the dB output at the highest volume but I doubt it's safe. You sure you need to amp it up even further?

You can turn Direct Volume Control off in PowerAmp's options, but um, wow. I can barely stand 50% of the max volume by default with my headphones.

Sorry, they're the Klipsch X10i's. This is the sensitivity off their website:

SENSITIVITY: 110 dB SPL/mW (1mW)

I have no idea if that's low or not. EDIT: 110, is definitely enough. Conclusion: I am deaf.
I live in NYC and the noise pollution here is pretty bad, so when you listen to stuff on the subway, I tend to want to drown everything out around me. At home I can listen with the volume between 50%-75% (below 50 is just too quiet) and be perfectly fine. I probably messed up my ears a long time ago.

Top Bottom