• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Fox318

Having some people on Google+ helps. Those pictures are synced in High Res.
The few close friends and relatives I have outside of that (on FB) I just find a picture either in my Picasa web albums or via the Facebook app (set picture as option).

I can never get my hair that spiky.

BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I downloaded pics of all my contacts from Facebook, made a folder on my phone called "contact pictures", and manually assigned them to each contact. Now glorious, high def pics for everyone!

How do you do this? Don't use Facebook at all but I do have everyone on there and this sounds like a good idea for the people that don't have G+ accounts.

giga

Is it just the Prometheus trailer, or any 1080p trailer on Apple? I assume those videos are optimized for iDevices... wonder if that's it?
Apple trailers are standard H.264 video and AAC audio.

sj8Aa.png

kehs

Banned
How do you do this? Don't use Facebook at all but I do have everyone on there and this sounds like a good idea for the people that don't have G+ accounts.

If you edit a contact you can manually assign a picture with the icon right next to the name.

Salaadin

Started actually using Google Music. This is better than I thought it would be. The app is nice too. I might ditch Winamp and just use this exclusively.

I forgot how shitty some of my song tags were though and my songs started getting split up. That was a pain.

Started actually using Google Music. This is better than I thought it would be. The app is nice too. I might ditch Winamp and just use this exclusively.

I forgot how shitty some of my song tags were though and my songs started getting split up. That was a pain.

Does that mean using the included Music app? I didn't like that one at all, the Lock screen was ugly as sin. PowerAMP did a way better job for me.

Nightz

On the FB app go into a picture, hit the 3 dot menu button> Set as> Contact

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CX21-1ucPXc/TvOJ0BJh9QI/AAAAAAAAYaY/YWAzVWb7ejU/s800/Screenshot_2011-12-22-14-49-12.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
So you want to take a screenshot without the menu in the way? =P

Al-ibn Kermit

Tried one out five minutes ago, comparing it side by side with my Epic Touch browsing through various websites. The screen and phone dimensions are practically identical between the two but the increased ppi seems somewhat noticeable when viewing text. I didn't have a chance to try watching a video though.

Overall it's a nice phone though and I hope Samsung doesn't drag their ass updating their galaxy phones again.

MercuryLS

Banned
The inconsistencies with Android really annoy me. The back button should always be back to the last menu, which it is 90% of the time. But that 10% of times in apps where it takes you back to the home screen drives me batty. For example in the Rdio app, the back button takes you to the last menu you were in, but if you're in the music player (where it shows the current song), if you press back it won't take you back to your song collection screen, instead it takes you back to the home screen.

ARGH.

kehs

Banned
The inconsistencies with Android really annoy me. The back button should always be back to the last menu, which it is 90% of the time. But that 10% of times in apps where it takes you back to the home screen drives me batty. For example in the Rdio app, the back button takes you to the last menu you were in, but if you're in the music player (where it shows the current song), if you press back it won't take you back to your song collection screen, instead it takes you back to the home screen.

ARGH.

It's dependent on how you got to where you were, for the most part. Developers are heavily suggested to build a "backstack" if the expected usage is to go back up through a menu instead of returning to the last activity.

For example, if you read an email, then load up a map through a link. Which behavior should take precedence when pressing back? Going back up through the maps hierarchy or going back to your email you just came from?

The ambiguity has led to the creation of the action bar and the "secondary" back button on the top left. Now in 3.x +, if you want to drill up in the application you use the action bar, if you want to switch back in the order you came to the activity you press back (unless the developer creating a custom backstack that drills you up through the application anyway lol).

dream

It's dependent on how you got to where you were, for the most part. Developers are heavily suggested to build a "backstack" if the expected usage is to go back up through a menu instead of returning to the last activity.

For example, if you read an email, then load up a map through a link. Which behavior should take precedence when pressing back? Going back up through the maps hierarchy or going back to your email you just came from?

The ambiguity has led to the creation of the action bar and the "secondary" back button on the top left. Now in 3.x +, if you want to drill up in the application you use the action bar, if you want to switch back in the order you came to the activity you press back (unless the developer creating a custom backstack that drills you up through the application anyway lol).

For some reason this post made me laugh out loud. :(

That really makes sense. I had never really taken the time to think about it, but now the design choice seems obvious.

dream

You're literally being all friendly while explaining "look, I know it doesn't make any sense but this is the reason for the usability nightmare that is Android navigation and if you keep this in mind, it might make it a little easier for you to use the phone, allowing you to enjoy it more than you currently do."

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You're literally being all friendly while explaining "look, I know it doesn't make any sense but this is the reason for the usability nightmare that is Android navigation and if you keep this in mind, it might make it a little easier for you to use the phone, allowing you to enjoy it more than you currently do."

Really? Because the same thing happens in iOS too. Back button is not always consistent even though you have way fewer options so you think they could get it right.

giga

Really? Because the same thing happens in iOS too. Back button is not always consistent even though you have way fewer options so you think they could get it right.
A back button in an app will never take you back to your home screen though.

Menelaus

Banned
Android's handling of "back" isn't bad enough to sour me on the platform. I have been less frustrated by it in ICS, for what it's worth. It was pretty bad in Gingerbread.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
A back button in an app will never take you back to your home screen though.

I see, never dug down to that level of specificity, and honestly never had it be a huge problem on either OS. Only time I get sorta annoyed is on iOS when I go to download new podcasts on the device and then backing out it takes me to the music store instead of back to my podcast screen. Honestly the only time I've ever specifically noticed this.

i was messing with my friends galaxy nexus today and felt like it was the perfect weight really. i found the s2 to be extremely thin and cheap feeling but this just hits the sweet spot

the gps and turn by turn directions are pretty cool too. i like how it also shows where there is heavy traffic and such. seems like a great phone, kinda jelly now

kehs

Banned
-_-

for the record, I wasn't defending it, I was explaining it. Google voice is horrible at using the back button correctly, "new message, ok cool! *hit back* back at homescreen"

>=|

Back has been relegated to a system function on android...so...heh.

lunchtoast

-_-

for the record, I wasn't defending it, I was explaining it. Google voice is horrible at using the back button correctly, "new message, ok cool! *hit back* back at homescreen"

>=|

Voice just needs a damn inbox button.

dream

-_-

>=|

I know, I think that's what made it so hilarious. Your brain actually works this way now.

sun-drop

Where do you guys automagically pull high res contact pictures? It is so fucking disgusting and appalling to see these low res photos on the People app when everything else looks so beautiful.

ha, for all the hating of touchwiz and sense et all ..... both these enable proper photo sync with facebook.

on the GS2 at least you just snyc FB via the socialhub account, rather than the FB app ..and boom, nice high rez pics, they get updated live.

ha, for all the hating of touchwiz and sense et all ..... both these enable proper photo sync with facebook.

on the GS2 at least you just snyc FB via the socialhub account, rather than the FB app ..and boom, nice high rez pics, they get updated live.

the Galaxy Nexus is working as intended

blame Facebook

Druz

extended battery. Used it for music both ways hour drives. Internet browser during 45 min lunch. loaded skype, wifi, completed a mission in gta3.

batterylife.jpg

Feep

Banned
Just got my extended today. Gonna give it a good field test tomorrow.

Statistically, though, isn't it just 2100 mAh vs. 1850 mAh? That's only a 13.5% increase?

Top Bottom