• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

kinggroin

Banned
My X used to lag when I ran anything that modified the launcher, the lockscreen, or a live wallpaper. That's one thing I don't miss at all on my Tuna.

Using widgetlocker on cm7 was pretty damn flawless for me. Of course, i completely replaced the default locker, and only had a single widget for time. I should post a pic, it was pretty.

Feep

Banned
Used Google Wallet a couple hours ago to buy a Vanilla Frappacino from 7-11.

I don't often get that giddy "I'm in the future!" feeling, but man, I did tonight. = D

Mafro

Seems there's a version of Swype that's been tweaked with by someone on XDA to work with the Galaxy Nexus in both portrait and landscape mode.

Sky Chief

Can anyone here on T-mobile chime in on this?

The Youtube ICS app is amazing. The HQ videos looks really good, 720p feeds I'm guessing. The problem is, you can only get 720p feeds on WiFi. When I go over to mobile data, the same video I just watched is compressed and blurry although the "HQ" icon is still selected.

I then tethered from a Verizon 3g smartphone (rooted Incredible) and although it was slow as molasses, I got the same pristine 720p feed that I got on WiFi.

Can anyone with a LTE Nexus confirm that videos aren't compressed on Verizon?

I know all US carriers have a clause now that says they can compress and limit images and videos as they see fit, but this is happening 24/7 on T-mobile with the GSM Nexus.

The videos aren't compressed on Verizon. The buffering times are insanely short on LTE too.

We're allowed to talk emulators but not roms?

I'm just asking cause I'm looking for compatible roms for these emulators that were posted so...

Sky Chief

Used Google Wallet a couple hours ago to buy a Vanilla Frappacino from 7-11.

I don't often get that giddy "I'm in the future!" feeling, but man, I did tonight. = D

Feels good man, my first Google Wallet experience was pretty mindblowing too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Seems there's a version of Swype that's been tweaked with by someone on XDA to work with the Galaxy Nexus in both portrait and landscape mode.

Link?

Oh shit yes. Have been waiting to try out Swype. Never used it before but I like the idea and was slightly heartbroken to find out it doesn't work on the GN.

Edit: Hmm, can't seem to download languages. It just stops at "Queued for download..."
Sometimes there's a progress bar appearing, but it stays on 0 and reverts back to Queued sooner rather than later. It this build incompatible with downloading languages?

Edit 2: Ah, it seems the Swype download servers are down regardless of build. Will try again later!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there a way to get rid of that Keyboard notification while you use Swype? It seems like a quick switcher for input methods.

Ok, so, I'm having a pretty huge problem with my Galaxy Nexus right now. What happens is that when I'm playing games (Sonic CD, any emulators, whatever - it's the same regardless of what game/emu it is) the multitouch sometimes just... stops working or something? Like, playing a game usually works perfectly, but suddenly when I boot one up, it refuses to respond to simultaneous d-pad + button presses. Meaning I can't jump and move sideways at the same time, rendering most games nigh-unplayable.

I'm thinking this goes for any multitouch inputs on my phone when it reaches this state, it's just that games are the only instances where it's actually noticable. It seems to have something to do with the buttons being in the corners of the screen, I think. Could just be my imagination but yeah. Has anyone had similar experiences or have any clue what could be causing this? Sometimes it helps when I reboot the phone, sometimes it doesn't.

Theres a video (maybe a few by now) on YouTube of that exact problem. Usually happens, as you said, near the corners. I'm sure there's a fix on the way.

gcubed

Ok, so, I'm having a pretty huge problem with my Galaxy Nexus right now. What happens is that when I'm playing games (Sonic CD, any emulators, whatever - it's the same regardless of what game/emu it is) the multitouch sometimes just... stops working or something? Like, playing a game usually works perfectly, but suddenly when I boot one up, it refuses to respond to simultaneous d-pad + button presses. Meaning I can't jump and move sideways at the same time, rendering most games nigh-unplayable.

I'm thinking this goes for any multitouch inputs on my phone when it reaches this state, it's just that games are the only instances where it's actually noticable. It seems to have something to do with the buttons being in the corners of the screen, I think. Could just be my imagination but yeah. Has anyone had similar experiences or have any clue what could be causing this? Sometimes it helps when I reboot the phone, sometimes it doesn't.

there are some people reporting this on XDA. Does your phone get warm in those areas? Most of the people on XDA say a simple sleep and unsleep fixes it, if you have to reboot to MAYBE fix the problem I would return it.

Everything else is working perfectly so I doubt it's a hardware fault worth returning the phone over really. It does get hot in the upper right corner (portrait mode) but nowhere else. I'm not actually pushing buttons in that region though.

Edit: Okay, so, turning the screen on/off DOES seem to help even in my case. Shit's weird. Really hoping for a fix though.

On another note, does anyone know if the iControlPad universal clamp tingy works with the Galaxy Nexus, or is it too big? I know the new Gametel allegedly does fit it, but that one has no analog sticks :(

Goldrush

Don't know if this will help, but that happens on my phone (not a NEXUS). On my phone, it was due to lockscreen apps.

This phone is amazing..

Soo much better than my old htc hero.

But one problem is my mobile number (which was imported from g+) is wrong and I can't change it..

Trouble

Banned
Went to the Verizon store yesterday to play with one. Maybe I just have old man eyes, but I couldn't see any pixels. The screen wasn't as bright as I hoped it would be, but it it was very nice looking.

Trigger pulled on buying an unlocked one. Will arrive tomorrow. Excited!

Bboy AJ

Can we just close this thread and move onto the Android OT yet?

hows the battery life with LTE? I'm trying to talk myself into walking into a VZW store today

5-6 hours of screen time with the extended battery.

Cudder

Bloody hell, are you telling me that the Galaxy Nexus has a fudged touchscreen like the Nexus One? How can we be sure it's a software issue and not a hardware one?

Bloody hell, are you telling me that the Galaxy Nexus has a fudged touchscreen like the Nexus One? How can we be sure it's a software issue and not a hardware one?

I don't know but just letting the screen enter sleep mode seems to fix it without fail for me, now that I found that trick. Just a minor annoyance now.

Bboy AJ

You want to rub it into peoples faces that you have a Nexus running ICS? I think it's a bit unfair when most phones don't have the OS update.

If we are going to wait for any other Android phone to get ICS, the threads will never converge.

SimleuqiR

If we are going to wait for any other Android phone to get ICS, the threads will never converge.

If you have a Galaxy Nexus specific issues, where do you think someone is more likely to respond/agree/or provide a solution?

I believe Galaxy Nexus issues should stay here. Specially now that so many more people will probably be using this line of phones (due to it being on Big Red, unlike other Nexus devices).

But that's just me.

Salaadin

How do I get Swype to work? I have it inatalled but my keyboard is the same

Settings > Language and Input. Under "Keyboard and Input Methods", click Default and change that to Swype. Also, under that same section, make sure the box next to Swype is checked.

Bboy AJ

Where do you guys automagically pull high res contact pictures? It is so fucking disgusting and appalling to see these low res photos on the People app when everything else looks so beautiful.

Salaadin

Where do you guys automagically pull high res contact pictures? It is so fucking disgusting and appalling to see these low res photos on the People app when everything else looks so beautiful.

Wondering this too.

I also hate shitty looking app icons. I replaced the stock browser icon (which is pretty) witht he Dolphin Browser HD one and it just looks like poopy.

Menelaus

Banned
I downloaded pics of all my contacts from Facebook, made a folder on my phone called "contact pictures", and manually assigned them to each contact. Now glorious, high def pics for everyone!

gcubed

if they have a g+ profile it is high res.

Is the 5-6 hours of screen time all using LTE? The big reason is to make sure i can get into the unlimited trick, otherwise i'd wait for a better LTE phone, but i'm jumping ship to VZW at some point, may as well get it over with now if i can get into it

Woot, the unlimited trick worked for me as well! Does this mean I actually have a reason to root now? As in, doing so will allow me to tether as much as I damn well please??

Bboy AJ

SimleuqiR

Having some people on Google+ helps. Those pictures are synced in High Res.
The few close friends and relatives I have outside of that (on FB) I just find a picture either in my Picasa web albums or via the Facebook app (set picture as option).

“The Beauty of Organic Curves”, GALAXY Nexus Designers Speak

The-Beauty-of-Organic-Curves_4.jpg

I can never get my hair that spiky.

Bboy AJ

Just bought the paid version of Light Pro. I needed my Google Voice notifications.

Top Bottom