• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Druz

It's not a massive difference but it's a spare battery + some extra time so I don't feel like I'm cutting it on the wire. There really is a noticeable difference since my phone usually appears one notch down by midday. It was full this time around.

you guys are all so into this you should talk with matias

I would gladly use exactly 1 hour of Matia's time to tell him things which are still really inconsistent and annoying about Android's UI behavior.

For example: depending on the context, pressing Back when inside of the Google Music app takes you one level up, for example from the player to the list of songs in the album, and then one level up to the list of albums. In another context, pressing Back minimizes the app instead and shows you the launcher. There is NO indication of what context you are in, so half the time you'll just be trying to go back to your album list and instead you make the app vanish.

WHY?

I would gladly use exactly 1 hour of Matia's time to tell him things which are still really inconsistent and annoying about Android's UI behavior.

For example: depending on the context, pressing Back when inside of the Google Music app takes you one level up, for example from the player to the list of songs in the album, and then one level up to the list of albums. In another context, pressing Back minimizes the app instead and shows you the launcher. There is NO indication of what context you are in, so half the time you'll just be trying to go back to your album list and instead you make the app vanish.

WHY?

It depends on how you got there. If you had a shortcut to that playlist on your homescreen, for example, and you launched the playlist that way pressing back would take you to where you came from. The homescreen. The back button is NOT a Back In Hierarchy button... its a true "back to the previous screen" button.

cevansdust

Neo Member

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm positive Duarte is aware of all these inconsistencies. ICS is just the beginning.

But at least we got our UI revamp we've been hearing about since forever. Now it just needs to be refined.

TxdoHawk

GTA3 for Android now supports the Galaxy Nexus, and it's still on sale for $2.99. A word of warning, however: It looks like it's affected by the phone's multitouch bug. I had issues steering and hitting the gas simultaneously after a certain point.

I thought I had read that Google had acknowledged the bug + will supposedly fix it soon with software, but I can't find that information now.

kinggroin

Banned
GTA3 for Android now supports the Galaxy Nexus, and it's still on sale for $2.99. A word of warning, however: It looks like it's affected by the phone's multitouch bug. I had issues steering and hitting the gas simultaneously after a certain point.

I thought I had read that Google had acknowledged the bug + will supposedly fix it soon with software, but I can't find that information now.

Yeah. I was too quick on the purchase trigger and remembered the bug after playing. Hope its fixed soon.

Menelaus

Banned
It depends on how you got there. If you had a shortcut to that playlist on your homescreen, for example, and you launched the playlist that way pressing back would take you to where you came from. The homescreen. The back button is NOT a Back In Hierarchy button... its a true "back to the previous screen" button.

Unless you use the app switcher. I've noticed in ICS that switching apps via the switcher and hitting back will take you to the previous screen inside that app, not the app from which you just came.

Zeppu

Like I said...it makes perfect sense. Why would pushing back in an app launched through a link or other app take you back in that new app's hierarchy? It should take you where you came from, and that it does.

Yep I agree, the functionality makes sense and it also explains why switching to the appswitcher does though.

I find this useful mostly when on google reader, when i open the full article and read it I just press back and I'm back in reader.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Anyone have a link? Cant seem to find it.

Edit. Nevermind found it.

Trouble

Banned
Got my nexus today. Tinkering with it and setting up accounts and apps and such.

Question:
It works if I pop my iphone's SIM in it, but it only ever says 3G at the top. Do I need to get a new SIM and switch to an Adroid data plan?

Circle T

Got my nexus today. Tinkering with it and setting up accounts and apps and such.

Question:
It works if I pop my iphone's SIM in it, but it only ever says 3G at the top. Do I need to get a new SIM and switch to an Adroid data plan?

I'm assuming that since you just popped the SIM in, that it was a full-size SIM from an older 3G/3GS, in which case yes, those are just 3G SIMs. In order to get HSPA+ to function, you need to get a "4G" SIM, and have them update your plan to the proper 4G plan. Neither will cost anything. Just stop in a store, and a rep should be able to take care of that in a couple minutes.

Tuna is Maguro

I believe the code name for the Galaxy Nexus was Tuna or Maguro.

The GSM and LTE versions have Tuna-related names like Maguro, Toro, and Tuna. Forget which is which.
Tuna is the hardware codename. The "Maguro" and "Toro" names are the identifiers of the GSM and CDMA versions. Maguro is GSM, Toro is CDMA.

Trouble

Banned
I'm assuming that since you just popped the SIM in, that it was a full-size SIM from an older 3G/3GS, in which case yes, those are just 3G SIMs. In order to get HSPA+ to function, you need to get a "4G" SIM, and have them update your plan to the proper 4G plan. Neither will cost anything. Just stop in a store, and a rep should be able to take care of that in a couple minutes.
Yes, 3GS.

That's what I was hoping, thanks for the confirmation!

OchreHand

I'm loving this phone, but man my batteries drain quickly. I guess I need to show some restraint with the live wallpapers.

Also, I tried out the Alarm clock this morning and found the volume too low for me. Not only that, but the Snooze and Dismiss button are right next to each other, and in my sleepy state, I kept hitting Snooze and not Dismiss.

lunchtoast

I'm loving this phone, but man my batteries drain quickly. I guess I need to show some restraint with the live wallpapers.

Also, I tried out the Alarm clock this morning and found the volume too low for me. Not only that, but the Snooze and Dismiss button are right next to each other, and in my sleepy state, I kept hitting Snooze and not Dismiss.

I just use the volume keys for snooze/dismiss so I don't have to look at the screen in sleepy state. It's in the alarm options.

womp

Live wallpapers are pointless...Sure, if you want to show off, set one up and show it for a few moments but they chew up battery and therefore destroy any kind of functionality.

A phone like this treats battery like water in a desert. I recommend auto - mid brightness and using 3G/WiFi combo when you can while saving 4G for when you really need to crunch the data. Using that setup I can get 50% battery at the 8-10 hour mark easy with average use. Err with the extended battery that is...heh

Salaadin

There's an app called sound effects that has a few loud alarms. I used it to download a rooster alarm and old alarm clock sound and then copied the files to the alarm folder and uninstalled the.app. it's much louder now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Do we really know that live wallpapers drain battery that much?

blitz64

I'm able to connect my ps3 controller to my Samsung galaxy Nexus. No special drivers needed.

I just need to buy a $1 usb otg adapter so I can plug the ps3 controller into the micro usb port. I'm able to play cordy and muffin knight. Hmm, maybe i should get gta3 since it says it supports controllers.

Would love to try some emulators but I don't know anything about them.

blitz64

If you hit snooze by accident, you can go to the notification windows (sliding your finger from the very top to bottom), then click on the alarm and snooze will go away.

Probably been asked but is this phone Verizon exclusive?

It is rumored to be Verizon exclusively for a few months. But Verizon, Samsung, or any other carrier has not made any official statement regarding this.

Short answer: No one knows.

Tuna is the hardware codename. The "Maguro" and "Toro" names are the identifiers of the GSM and CDMA versions. Maguro is GSM, Toro is CDMA.

This is actually pretty funny if you know a bit about sushi, Maguro is lean tuna slices and Toro is fatty tuna slices. The CDMA version of this phone is ever so slightly fatter than the GSM version due to the larger battery.

Trouble

Banned
OK this is some weird shit. I though my PC had gone tits up because it was taking > 15 minutes to boot, but once in Windows it seemed alright. Turns out when the tuna is plugged in something weird is causing my machine to crawl through boot up. When not plugged in it boots as normal.

The fuck?

kehs

Banned
OK this is some weird shit. I though my PC had gone tits up because it was taking > 15 minutes to boot, but once in Windows it seemed alright. Turns out when the tuna is plugged in something weird is causing my machine to crawl through boot up. When not plugged in it boots as normal.

The fuck?

That used to happen to me when I would have a USB drive plugged in during bootup.

It's not due to androids lagginess, it's just general usb bullshit.

Trouble

Banned
That used to happen to me when I would have a USB drive plugged in during bootup.

It's not due to androids lagginess, it's just general usb bullshit.

Yeah I don't blame the phone. It was plugged in through a USB hub built into one of my monitors. Just had me totally freaked out for a bit.

The more I listen to music through it, the more impressed I get with the Tuna's headphone audio quality. I don't know what Samsung put inside this phone but it absolutely has fuck-awesome sound quality. I wonder if anybody will hack this phone to add the Voodoo enhancements that so were so famous on the original Galaxy S and it's Wolfson DAC.

The stock Android media framework tends to bloat the bass quite a bit, which might be fine if you think Beats Audio is the most amazing thing on Earth. If you don't, it turns out that PowerAmp doesn't bloat the bass since it bypasses the stock Android media framework. I'm almost at the point where I'm to ready to cough up the $5 for the full version of PowerAmp.

kinggroin

Banned

The fuck?

Your pc detected an external storage device and attempted to boot from it. It took long because there is no bootable system partition, so it sorta got hung up in a long ass loop. Check your bios boot order optons and make sure your hard disk drives and optical drives are the first two in the boot chain. I recommend the optical drive first ( just make sure you dont have a dvd or something in it, when booting)

Rur0ni

The fuck?
Have had that happen with some other devices, like an iPod shuffle. Something about when it scans the connected devices it will hang on certain things...

The more I listen to music through it, the more impressed I get with the Tuna's headphone audio quality. I don't know what Samsung put inside this phone but it absolutely has fuck-awesome sound quality. I wonder if anybody will hack this phone to add the Voodoo enhancements that so were so famous on the original Galaxy S and it's Wolfson DAC.

The stock Android media framework tends to bloat the bass quite a bit, which might be fine if you think Beats Audio is the most amazing thing on Earth. If you don't, it turns out that PowerAmp doesn't bloat the bass since it bypasses the stock Android media framework. I'm almost at the point where I'm to ready to cough up the $5 for the full version of PowerAmp.

I've had the Full version of PowerAmp for about a year and a half now. I feel great supporting a great piece of software. Definitely recommended.

Trouble

Banned
Your pc detected an external storage device and attempted to boot from it. It took long because there is no bootable system partition, so it sorta got hung up in a long ass loop. Check your bios boot order optons and make sure your hard disk drives and optical drives are the first two in the boot chain. I recommend the optical drive first ( just make sure you dont have a dvd or something in it, when booting)

No, USB is not even in the default boot order. Even going into the bios crawls. I think the USB code for my BIOS just doesn't know how to deal with the gnex.

rozay

Banned
Which unlocked one could I use on Tmobile?
Any one will work so long as it is not Verizon's CDMA/LTE only version. If you want warranty on your phone, you'll need to buy from a reputable seller that is willing to let you ship the phone back to them for servicing in the country it was imported from (like handtec).

Sky Chief

The so called reception problem is clearly just an issue with how many bars are being shown, I'm at my parent's place in the mountains, we all have Verizon and I'm the only one who can make and receive calls. Pretty phenomenal, no phone has ever done that in five years.

RS4-

Ok, hopefully this deal goes through where I can trade my iPhone 4 for a Nexus.

Or else I have to wait until Monday to buy it in store :(

Sky Chief

My Mom got me an extended battery for Christmas. This is the battery the phone should have come with in the first place, it just looks and feels better than the regular back cover.

Top Bottom