• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

RS4-

Actually a quick question; for those that previously owned an iphone 4/s, did you use the sim card in the GN?

I can't get a concrete answer on the sim card size for the GN, some say micro sim, others say normal or something inbetween.

Sky Chief

Actually a quick question; for those that previously owned an iphone 4/s, did you use the sim card in the GN?

I can't get a concrete answer on the sim card size for the GN, some say micro sim, others say normal or something inbetween.

On Verizon it's a micro sim, pretty sure the GSM version uses a regular size sim though

Mordeccai

Got a screen protector on my baby but finger prints show up way too easily and it just feels strange...

You guys got any scratches on your glass yet? Want to take the protector off, but I'd flip my shit if the screen got a scratch

Feep

Banned
Got a screen protector on my baby but finger prints show up way too easily and it just feels strange...

You guys got any scratches on your glass yet? Want to take the protector off, but I'd flip my shit if the screen got a scratch
Only nine days in, but it's still pristine.

By the way, is there any way to remove the "Frequently Contacted" list always above my contacts in the Phone app? It's annoying; the call log fulfills the purpose of redialing recent contacts. I also don't really like how I can't long-press and directly edit profiles from the phone app, and I have to go to the people app...

Technically I can get it to work in the UK, and I can buy sausage rolls with it. But I don't fancy rooting my phone.

Btw, When the 4.0.3 update finally comes do android updates still wipe all apps?

The more I listen to music through it, the more impressed I get with the Tuna's headphone audio quality. I don't know what Samsung put inside this phone but it absolutely has fuck-awesome sound quality. I wonder if anybody will hack this phone to add the Voodoo enhancements that so were so famous on the original Galaxy S and it's Wolfson DAC.

Supercurio has a galaxy nexus and is reportedly looking into the audio possibilities. Last I read (via his twitter account.. http://www.twitter.com/supercurio )

He said he places the audio quality of the stock galaxy nexus above the ipad and iphone.. but not to the level of the original SGS w/ voodoo mods.. maybe there's something he can do for it, though it is nice to know that it's pretty good to start with.

Husker86

Technically I can get it to work in the UK, and I can buy sausage rolls with it. But I don't fancy rooting my phone.

Btw, When the 4.0.3 update finally comes do android updates still wipe all apps?

I've never had an Android phone that wiped all apps. If that ever happened I'm sure it was on larger upgrades and not on smaller ones.

Husker86

The only time I ever had to wipe my phone was when I flashed a custom ROM. If all you do is upgrade in place from the same ROM to the next one.

Right, I assumed he was referring to official updates. Still haven't rooted my GN, I sort of wanted to escape my habit of flashing ROMs constantly but I know I'll break eventually. Wonder how much faster Titanium is on the GN vs the Thunderbolt.

Blackhead

Redarse
I got a Logitech dinovo mini for christmas but it doesnt work very well. The biggest problem is that everytime I place the GNex on the keyboard cover/case, the bluetooth connection cuts out. Perhaps I have a busted unit? Placing the phone in that position worked fine in the videos I saw of the dinovo mini with a dell streak and galaxy sII. Is there another portable keyboard+trackpad combo?

And happy holidays to everyone

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My GN has gotten terrible battery life. One day, the awake time was 100%. Still working on figuring this out. It's a bug somewhere.

thespot84

My GN has gotten terrible battery life. One day, the awake time was 100%. Still working on figuring this out. It's a bug somewhere.

This has happened to me, not sure why either. Also, there's a bug in google+ instant upload. If it's doing an upload or you use the 'upload all' button it might get stuck in a loop and use all your cpu cycles.

womp

Do we really know that live wallpapers drain battery that much?

The fact they show up in the running apps is enough for me. I love the look of Phase Beam, otherwise, I fail to see their point unless you are looking to say "Check THIS out" to an iPhone user.

Then again, I am more of a function over form kind of person in regards to how I run a device such as this.

Anyone went from galaxy s2(exynos processor) to galaxy nexus(GSM version)?

Thinking of switching but so far most on most forums(ex. XDA) the majority claims that the galaxy S2 is much more smoother overall. The only advantage is ICS but overall S2 hardware is much better.

Anybody switched?

Thinking of switching but so far most on most forums(ex. XDA) the majority claims that the galaxy S2 is much more smoother overall. The only advantage is ICS but overall S2 hardware is much better.

Anybody switched?

on paper, the Exynos should beat the OMAP running ICS, but then Samsung has to add their TouchWiz enhancements... soooo....

Anybody switched?

I switched and don't regret it.. but I switched because I'm tired of samsung's shitty update schedule and I wanted the 720p screen. Now that I have the nexus, I prefer the feel of the device over the SGS II, the curved back really feels nice in the hand. The cpu itself is on fairly even footing.. they're both Cortex A9 based dual core processors.. and I've read that the OMAP 4460 actually has higher bandwidth on its memory bus compared to exynos.. where the two devices really differ is in the gpu.. the Mali 400 in the SGS II walks all over the power vr SGX 540 in the galaxy nexus.

Here's the breakdown between the two

Galaxy Nexus

+720p display
+Pure Android 4.0
+timely updates directly
from Google
+Curved form-factor is
more comfortable in hand
+superior audio quality
-No Expandable storage
-weaker gpu

SGS II
+better gpu
+expandable storage
+/- touchwiz (I give them a plus for expanded video codec support and minus because I hate the UI)

If you absolutely want the best hardare currently available in all respects, the SGS II is your choice.

Keep in mind the SGSII only has to push 840x480 pixels, the Tuna is pushing 1280x720 pixels. The ARM Mali 400 wouldn't look so good if it had to push as many pixels as the PowerVR SGX 540 is pushing around.

Here's the breakdown between the two

Galaxy Nexus

+720p display
+Pure Android 4.0
+timely updates directly
from Google
+Curved form-factor is
more comfortable in hand
+superior audio quality
-No Expandable storage
-weaker gpu

SGS II
+better gpu
+expandable storage
+/- touchwiz (I give them a plus for expanded video codec support and minus because I hate the UI)

If you absolutely want the best hardare currently available in all respects, the SGS II is your choice.

Thanks!! very informative!

My GS2 is rooted and running custom rom, so I'm not worried about updates. Overclocked and its amazingly fast with no hint of lag at all. BUT!!! something about the nexus galaxy intrigues me..

Keep in mind the SGSII only has to push 840x480 pixels, the Tuna is pushing 1280x720 pixels. The ARM Mali 400 wouldn't look so good if it had to push as many pixels as the PowerVR SGX 540 is pushing around.
In benchmarks at the same resolution, the Mali 400 still comes out well on top, it's a white wash when comparing gaming performance at native resolution.

Yeah everyone is saying how great the camera is on the gs2...but I hate how slow the shutter speed is.

Are there settings for shutter speed? I just heard complaints from reviews saying the front and rear camera on the nexus is just lower quality and takes shittier pictures than other cameras out there. It's what has me split on what to choose.

kinggroin

Banned
Are there settings for shutter speed? I just heard complaints from reviews saying the front and rear camera on the nexus is just lower quality and takes shittier pictures than other cameras out there. It's what has me split on what to choose.

Because its true. No amount of delay added to the shutter is gong to make up for the shitty sensor they put in. If you want get decent focus at least, make sure to press the spot on the screen you want the camera to focus. Then shoot.

The more I use the camera, the more I hate it.

This has happened to me, not sure why either. Also, there's a bug in google+ instant upload. If it's doing an upload or you use the 'upload all' button it might get stuck in a loop and use all your cpu cycles.

This has started happening to me since last week as well. Put the phone away with around 80 percent battery in the morning only to find the battery has drained down to 30 percent by the afternoon. Most of that time the phone awake for no apparent reason. Putting it into airplane mode stove off the power drain so it was some rogue process doing things it shouldn't be doing.

After fiddling around with various sync settings, it seems that the culprit for me was the Facebook app. It was calling on the GPS for whatever purpose and keeping the phone awake. As a bonus it was also leaking memory like it was going out of fashion (running with only 20MB free memory!) and lagging the phone as a result.

I uninstalled that FB crap and battery usage have returned to normal for me. YMMV but if you see 2 separate running Maps processes one of which is the default Network Location Services and the other a suspicious looking Friends Finder Widget service (or something to that effect - I can't remember the exact name) that's your culprit. Force stopping the FB process and deleting the app stopped the seconds Maps process from launching and hence killing the Tuna's battery.

TxdoHawk

The miserable failure of the mobile branch of Facebook just boggles my mind. Mark Z can't buy one less private jet/a dozen fewer wild pigs with his gobs of cash this year and hire some competent devs?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yep. The FB app is a piece of crap. But i never installed it. So that isn't it for me.

I fixed my browser sync issue. Disabled hot mail and yahoo syncing. No more constant awake times. But we'll see if the battery is any good.

This phone having 1 GB of RAM means shit. Every app constantly refreshes if I'm multitasking more than two apps at a time.

gcubed

The miserable failure of the mobile branch of Facebook just boggles my mind. Mark Z can't buy one less private jet/a dozen fewer wild pigs with his gobs of cash this year and hire some competent devs?

why? gotta ride high while you got it. Tom was probably upset he didn't get the extra hookers and blow before myspace disappeared.

kinggroin

Banned
Yep. The FB app is a piece of crap. But i never installed it. So that isn't it for me.

I fixed my browser sync issue. Disabled hot mail and yahoo syncing. No more constant awake times. But we'll see if the battery is any good.

This phone having 1 GB of RAM means shit. Every app constantly refreshes if I'm multitasking more than two apps at a time.

Bugs the shit out of me too.

Checking system memory whenever the browser refreshes, im usually around 300MB free. Why?!?

At best, my droid x had 80-100 megs or so available at any given time, and the bowser refreshed less than it does on the gn.

Because its true. No amount of delay added to the shutter is gong to make up for the shitty sensor they put in. If you want get decent focus at least, make sure to press the spot on the screen you want the camera to focus. Then shoot.

The more I use the camera, the more I hate it.

Wait, which camera do you hate more the more you use it? The nexus or the SII?

linkboy

One question I have about the Galaxy Nexus, does it have the magnetic back that the OG Droid had.

The reason why I ask is because when I had the Droid in a magnetic belt case, it would turn the phone on and drain my battery.

Exactly what I was complaining about before... I do not see why a phone with 1gb of RAM should have to constantly refresh apps. Is it really that hard for it to store a quick cache when an app is minimized or switched away from for a minute or two? I love this phone, lets be clear about that, but that flaw honestly knocks it down to 7.5 for me instead of the 9.5 it deserves. Maybe Custom ROMs will address this issue, but we shouldn't have to turn to custom ROMs to address issues like those.

rozay

Banned
Exactly what I was complaining about before... I do not see why a phone with 1gb of RAM should have to constantly refresh apps. Is it really that hard for it to store a quick cache when an app is minimized or switched away from for a minute or two? I love this phone, lets be clear about that, but that flaw honestly knocks it down to 7.5 for me instead of the 9.5 it deserves. Maybe Custom ROMs will address this issue, but we shouldn't have to turn to custom ROMs to address issues like those.
I think it's more that the app is fucking terrible and not that the OS can't handle it. Most of the time processes get cached when minimized.

rozay

Banned
Even the stock browser, though...? That, to me, is unacceptable.
Not sure about that, but I've noticed something-if you have a gif open in the browser, even when switching away, the gif still runs.

Currently don't have any pages with gifs or flash videos open, and the browser is cached on my N1 running 4.0.3.

linkboy

One last question, if we use my wife's upgrade to get this phone, would I lose my unlimited data (was grandfathered).

I've seen some people say you can keep it, I've seen others say you lose it if you go from 3g to 4g.

Mordeccai

Anyone know if the GN is getting HBO Go anytime? I want to make use of the 720p screen and thought that would be a good excuse but nope :[

Sky Chief

Even the stock browser, though...? That, to me, is unacceptable.

This is far more annoying and happens far more often on my iPad 2 (which had a max of only nine tabs by the way although half the RAM). This is going to be an issue on all mobile devices. Also the iPad 2 is way worse on animated GIFs even though i see people on this thread complaining about the GN's handling of these.The only major shortcoming of the GN browser that I see is the lack of a notification bar, is there any way to fix this?

Evidently it's a "feature" Apple and Google thinks it's best for the machines to do.

Evidently the Gig of ram is sufficient so why else would these capable machines be forced to do it?

Piano

Banned
Galaxy Nexus get!

I'm going to order a case off of Amazon tonight. Is a screen protector really necessary?

This is such a massive upgrade over my Droid Eris that I literally don't know what to do. I staring at it and scrolling around my home screens. Cannot process advanced tasks.

Insayne

Hey guys, seemingly i can not touch the google bar on top of my phone.
Also have issues starting the first level in angry birds. (Same area on the screen)
Is this a known bug?
I also can't hit the "X" on the notifications to make them all dissapear (thats how its supposed to work, right?)
I believe my touch screen is broken in that height :(
I enabled the touch co-ordinates and seemingly, i can not touch anything on the Y axis between 150~170 up to 200~210...
Any of you ran into the same issue?
Please Help.

Piano

Banned
If you're having trouble consistently in the same part of your screen then it sounds like your touch screen is borked. Get a replacement if you can?

Insayne

If you're having trouble consistently in the same part of your screen then it sounds like your touch screen is borked. Get a replacement if you can?

Yeah... I will have to try that tomorrow (2:30am here), Bummer is, the GF got it in another country for me... so lets see how this will go down... :(

BigFwoosh

Anyone else with a Verizon Tuna having problems with the other person hearing you during calls? Frequently after some random period of time the person on the other end of the line will say they can't hear me, and I have to hang up and call them back to fix it. I thought it was because my signal is awful at home, but it happened over the weekend when I had 4 bars a couple times too.

Top Bottom