• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Piano

Banned
Yup. Ditch setcpu. Move to gummy 3.8 from, then flash the Frank kernal 9.2

All that from cwm. Folks are getting insane battery and performance improvements with that combo. Battery conservation as good as losing only 1% every 7 hours on idle, and being able to make it 3 days with light use!

I myself just got the kernal installed, so we'll see how things go on my end, but so far it seems my phone goes into deep sleep with little to no wakes as opposed to previous setups.

Gummy better than Revolution HD?
And is there any way to disable the battery level on lockscreen & ugly battery numbers in the status bar in Gummy?

MercuryLS

Banned
I tried to love this phone buts it's size has worn me down. Going to trade it for an iPhone 4S 32 gb tomorrow. The one thing that really surprised me in a bad way was that android is still choppy at times, this thing has a dual core and 1gig ram and google still couldn't get this thing running super smooth, that's unacceptable. The main reason I bit on this was the 720p screen, even there I was disappointed, the resolution is great but the brightness just isn't there. There's also this weird textured effect on dark colored backgrounds that's hard to describe, drives me batty. Oh well, it's a good phone but it's a poor fit for me.

Thinking of switching to Verizon and getting this phone. It doesn't help that I'm getting kinda sick of T-Mobile's service inside various buildings I have to be in.

I'm using peter alfonso's buglessbeast 4.03 rom and franco kernel 9.2.. just pushed the OC up to 1.35Ghz.. this device really flies with the right tweaking.

finally broke 3100 in quadrant standard with the combo I mentioned above.

going to stay where I am rom wise at least until 4.03 is officially released by google for the gnex.

It baffles me why this didn't launch at the same time. If it looks like the Nexus S with the black front, white rim and white back then it'll be sexy as hell. If it is all white, not so much.

I tried to love this phone buts it's size has worn me down. Going to trade it for an iPhone 4S 32 gb tomorrow. The one thing that really surprised me in a bad way was that android is still choppy at times, this thing has a dual core and 1gig ram and google still couldn't get this thing running super smooth, that's unacceptable. The main reason I bit on this was the 720p screen, even there I was disappointed, the resolution is great but the brightness just isn't there. There's also this weird textured effect on dark colored backgrounds that's hard to describe, drives me batty. Oh well, it's a good phone but it's a poor fit for me.

The dullness is simply the preserve of an over eager auto brightness - There is a fix in 4.03 coming, or you could just do what I did which is switch to manual brightness to a few notches over 50%.

The background thing is purely a lack of poor colour gradients being used in certain apps. I know what you mean. This isn't so much a hardware thing as a software thing. As for the choppiness again a lot of that will now fall onto developers laps. The core stuff is beautiful smooth and fast at 60fps. The very slight lag in the launchers is apparently gone in 4.03. But yes certain apps don't have scrolling as smooth as it should be. For example both FB and Twitter run better in the browser than as native apps. I'm hoping that as 4.0 becomes more and more prevalent developers will put more effort into achieving smooth scrolling. I guess time will tell.

Menelaus

Banned
It baffles me why this didn't launch at the same time. If it looks like the Nexus S with the black front, white rim and white back then it'll be sexy as hell. If it is all white, not so much.

Did you not see the picture of it?

HWPsA.png

It's all white, man.

reKon

Banned

How often was android choppy for you? The only time I've seen anything choppy was anything involving too many widgets and maybe some live wallpapers. I bet lag issues will be resolved in further updates but it's a shame that the phone didn't work out for you. My mom has the 4s and I've used it a lot helping her set up stuff. For me, navigating ics was so much more faster because if the recent apps button and because of the way the back button operates. There's no way I'll probably ever get an iphone because I would miss out on Google music, free turn by turn nav (I know that there are free ones for the iphone too), and the awesome customization and tweaks that improve performance even more. iOS is just too limiting for me. I only envy battery life that those devices get. I also love the design... Id never want to put a case on an iphone

Menelaus

Banned
I'm really tired of this rubber case. I wish there was a rubberized back i could just use instead of using an entire case. All I care about is the back being too slippery. And no, I'm not going to use that Plasti Dip method.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm really tired of this rubber case. I wish there was a rubberized back i could just use instead of using an entire case. All I care about is the back being too slippery. And no, I'm not going to use that Plasti Dip method.

The otterbox cases come in two parts, a rubber back, and a plastic frame around it. You can use only the rubber back part without the plastic frame. It's not bad, though the button covering rubber bits stick out a bit much.

EDIT: Actually, now that I doublechecked my otterbox thing that I never use (because cases are abominations), it is more of a rubber case I guess.

MercuryLS

Banned
How often was android choppy for you? The only time I've seen anything choppy was anything involving too many widgets and maybe some live wallpapers. I bet lag issues will be resolved in further updates but it's a shame that the phone didn't work out for you. My mom has the 4s and I've used it a lot helping her set up stuff. For me, navigating ics was so much more faster because if the recent apps button and because of the way the back button operates. There's no way I'll probably ever get an iphone because I would miss out on Google music, free turn by turn nav (I know that there are free ones for the iphone too), and the awesome customization and tweaks that improve performance even more. iOS is just too limiting for me. I only envy battery life that those devices get. I also love the design... Id never want to put a case on an iphone

I tried my best to avoid stuff like animated backgrounds and having too many widgets active. It's just the inconsistency that bugged the hell out of me, one second it would be speedy and a lagfest the next. I think the GN will get better with updates (to the firmware and to apps), but right now the experience isn't tight. Multitasking works better on GN over iPhone no question, I hate having to double tap the home button to get the menu. I was thinking, apple should allow you to swipe from the bottom of the screen to bring up multitasking in the same way that swipe from the top bring up notifications.

I'm going to miss turn by turn for sure, by far the best feature on Android. iOS is limiting, there's no question, I wish it had widgets for example. But what I love about iPhone is the consistent performance and design. It just feels very predictable when you use it, in a good way. I think the walled garden approach that Apple uses is a double edged sword, it's restrictive on one hand but leads to a very familiar and dependable performance from 1st and 3rd party apps. The tight integration between hardware, software and services is iPhone's best strength. I was hoping GN would be more like that since it's a Google branded phone, but it's not quite there.

kinggroin

Banned
I tried my best to avoid stuff like animated backgrounds and having too many widgets active. It's just the inconsistency that bugged the hell out of me, one second it would be speedy and a lagfest the next. I think the GN will get better with updates (to the firmware and to apps), but right now the experience isn't tight. Multitasking works better on GN over iPhone no question, I hate having to double tap the home button to get the menu. I was thinking, apple should allow you to swipe from the bottom of the screen to bring up multitasking in the same way that swipe from the top bring up notifications.

I'm going to miss turn by turn for sure, by far the best feature on Android. iOS is limiting, there's no question, I wish it had widgets for example. But what I love about iPhone is the consistent performance and design. It just feels very predictable when you use it, in a good way. I think the walled garden approach that Apple uses is a double edged sword, it's restrictive on one hand but leads to a very familiar and dependable performance from 1st and 3rd party apps. The tight integration between hardware, software and services is iPhone's best strength. I was hoping GN would be more like that since it's a Google branded phone, but it's not quite there.

While a phone like the GN should be running the way you described out of the box, it unfortunately doesn't; I agree, it sucks.

Would you at least be willing to try a custom rom/kernal? If not, I honestly can't blame you for wanting to switch, even in the face of functional improvements and features. The iPhone, for as much shit as it gets, is as reliable and consistent as they come.

I will say that I was just as disappointed in the performance of the phone as you were until I went the way of a custom rom (was going to give it one last chance and wait on the 4.0.3 update). The difference is dramatic enough that I feel comfortable saying the OS navigation and performance is as fast as an iPhone 4s (and more impressive considering the higher resolution, weaker hardware, and android doing a lot more in general.

If you'd like to try let me know. I can give you a link to a one click solution and instructions with links to the rom/kernal.

MercuryLS

Banned
While a phone like the GN should be running the way you described out of the box, it unfortunately doesn't; I agree, it sucks.

Would you at least be willing to try a custom rom/kernal? If not, I honestly can't blame you for wanting to switch, even in the face of functional improvements and features. The iPhone, for as much shit as it gets, is as reliable and consistent as they come.

I will say that I was just as disappointed in the performance of the phone as you were until I went the way of a custom rom (was going to give it one last chance and wait on the 4.0.3 update). The difference is dramatic enough that I feel comfortable saying the OS navigation and performance is as fast as an iPhone 4s (and more impressive considering the higher resolution, weaker hardware, and android doing a lot more in general.

If you'd like to try let me know. I can give you a link to a one click solution and instructions with links to the rom/kernal.

I'm afraid that I've already traded it for the iPhone 4S. But beyond my performance issues with the device, the deal breaker was the size. I didn't like the size before I bought it, but I took a chance anyways cause of 720p. It's just unwieldily to use the thing with one hand, there's a lot of times I came close to dropping the phone as I had to shift my hand to access something at the top of the screen, I've got big hands but the GN is really really pushing it in the size department. I've got a Nexus S and that's the perfect size IMO, It's got a big screen but its still usable with one hand.

The Android handset makers need to stop trying to one-up each other with screen size dick waving. Don't throw out ease of use just to have another bulletpoint on the box. Also size doesn't matter as much as pixel density, brightness and clarity. I think the perfect screen will eventually be 4", Super Amoled HD Plus, with high brightness and 300+ppi. Man that's going to be something to behold. The GN's screen is so close to being perfect too (other than size).

I put some carbon fiber on the back of mine. While still smooth, it a least has a little better texture than the slick battery cover.

6617170495_40e34bce7e.jpg

rabhw

Agreed, after installing a 4.0.3 rom + franco's kernel, this phone is an absolute beast. Battery life is great too. 1% drain per hour (idle).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm afraid that I've already traded it for the iPhone 4S. But beyond my performance issues with the device, the deal breaker was the size. I didn't like the size before I bought it, but I took a chance anyways cause of 720p. It's just unwieldily to use the thing with one hand, there's a lot of times I came close to dropping the phone as I had to shift my hand to access something at the top of the screen, I've got big hands but the GN is really really pushing it in the size department. I've got a Nexus S and that's the perfect size IMO, It's got a big screen but its still usable with one hand.

The Android handset makers need to stop trying to one-up each other with screen size dick waving. Don't throw out ease of use just to have another bulletpoint on the box. Also size doesn't matter as much as pixel density, brightness and clarity. I think the perfect screen will eventually be 4", Super Amoled HD Plus, with high brightness and 300+ppi. Man that's going to be something to behold. The GN's screen is so close to being perfect too (other than size).

To each their own I guess. I love the size of the GN. I originally feared that it would be too big, but I've adjusted to it just fine. I actually can't go back to my older nexus since it now feels absolutely inadequate in comparison. And I really don't have big hands at all.

Also, I realize how sexual that last paragraph sounded.

MercuryLS

Banned
To each their own I guess. I love the size of the GN. I originally feared that it would be too big, but I've adjusted to it just fine. I actually can't go back to my older nexus since it now feels absolutely inadequate in comparison. And I really don't have big hands at all.

Also, I realize how sexual that last paragraph sounded.

Yeah, screen size comes down to personal preference in the end. For two handed use the GN is fine, but for one handed use it's really pushing it...i'm sure many people can use it one handed fine, but it just didn't work for me. Just ended up being really cumbersome.

MercuryLS

Banned
By the way I really recommend getting the 2000mah extended battery for the GSM model, the extra battery life is great and the back cover is better than the standard one. The phone fells better in the hand with the curved out back over the flat one. These batteries can be had for $50 on ebay.

SimleuqiR

I thought the cover had a "hyper skin" that provided ultra grip?

Is that another samsung lie?

Problem is that the way you hold the phone (at least in my case) you rarely touch the back, since the grip is concentrated on the sides of the phone. Even when touching the back I don't feel any more grip than I did with my original Nexus.

By the way I really recommend getting the 2000mah extended battery for the GSM model, the extra battery life is great and the back cover is better than the standard one. The phone fells better in the hand with the curved out back over the flat one. These batteries can be had for $50 on ebay.

Is it confirm that the backs between the GSM and LTE model are interchangeable? Or are we talking about something else here?

gcubed

Problem is that the way you hold the phone (at least in my case) you rarely touch the back, since the grip is concentrated on the sides of the phone. Even when touching the back I don't feel any more grip than I did with my original Nexus.

Is it confirm that the backs between the GSM and LTE model are interchangeable? Or are we talking about something else here?

this is an official GSM extended battery and cover. The LTE cover does not work on the GSM model

MercuryLS

Banned

The backs aren't interchangeable between the LTE and GSM version, the clips for the locking the back are in different positions. The extended GSM battery comes with the back cover for $50 (if you do get the battery make sure to check the sale page carefully, they're also selling the battery without cover for less).

gcubed

The backs aren't interchangeable between the LTE and GSM version, the clips for the locking the back are in different positions. The extended GSM battery comes with the back cover for $50 (if you do get the battery make sure to check the sale page carefully, they're also selling the battery without cover for less).

its sold out on ebay, you can buy it for preorder. meh, $50 is pushing it for a small bump in battery. You getting much better?

SimleuqiR

Found it. Thanks!

Still, some pictures would be nice. Kind of like the tapered look and feel of the phone. This seems to change that drastically.

MercuryLS

Banned
its sold out on ebay, you can buy it for preorder. meh, $50 is pushing it for a small bump in battery. You getting much better?

It's about a 20% bump I believe, the GN battery life isn't bad, but the extra bump lets you worry a little less about battery, for that alone it was worth it. Also, the handset is far more comfortable in the hand with the rounded back and the slightly added weight even nice, that alone is almost worth the $$$.

MercuryLS

Banned
Found it. Thanks!

Still, some pictures would be nice. Kind of like the tapered look and feel of the phone. This seems to change that drastically.

Damn, I wish I still had the GN to show you guys. If you look at the current back it goes down straight and curves up. The extended battery cover has a slight curve that meets flush with the "bum" at the bottom of the phone, so it's smoothly curves into the "bum" (for the lack of a better word). There's no little crevice between the "bum" and the backing. It's seamless and feels really great in the hand.

This gives you a good idea of what I mean (the GSM covers look the same).

verizon-galaxy-nexus-battery-6.jpg

NH Apache

Banned
With all this Franco and 4.0.3 talk, I've decided to dive in.

Francos thread has no instructions, but I'm assuming this is the correct process?

adb reboot recovery
wipe data in CWM
install kernel
install ROM
install gapps
reboot

Edit: BTW going with gummynex for the ROM, unless anyone has other suggestions. (LTE)

rabhw

With all this Franco and 4.0.3 talk, I've decided to dive in.

Francos thread has no instructions, but I'm assuming this is the correct process?

adb reboot recovery
wipe data in CWM
install kernel
install ROM
install gapps
reboot

Edit: BTW going with gummynex for the ROM, unless anyone has other suggestions. (LTE)

I don't have any suggestions for ROM since I'm on GSM version but:

1.) Wipe / factory reset (wipe data/system)
2.) Install Rom
3.) Install gapps
4.) Install kernel (the ROM contains a kernel so you need to always flash kernel again after updating ROM)

Any kernel updates after that, you only need to wipe cache / dalvik cache and flash kernel over top of existing setup. Some people say that wiping isn't even necessary, I still do it *shrug*.

NH Apache

Banned
I don't have any suggestions for ROM since I'm on GSM version but:

1.) Wipe / factory reset (wipe data/system)
2.) Install Rom
3.) Install gapps
4.) Install kernel (the ROM contains a kernel so you need to always flash kernel again after updating ROM)

Any kernel updates after that, you only need to wipe cache / dalvik cache and flash kernel over top of existing setup. Some people say that wiping isn't even necessary, I still do it *shrug*.

Awesome! Thanks a bunch. Will report back.

SimleuqiR

Damn, I wish I still had the GN to show you guys. If you look at the current back it goes down straight and curves up. The extended battery cover has a slight curve that meets flush with the "bum" at the bottom of the phone, so it's smoothly curves into the "bum" (for the lack of a better word). There's no little crevice between the "bum" and the backing. It's seamless and feels really great in the hand.

This gives you a good idea of what I mean (the GSM covers look the same).

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites...images/684/verizon-galaxy-nexus-battery-6.jpg

OK. Your description is perfect, I can visualize what you mean. So it's not so bad. Might actually buy this down the road. Once 4.0.3 hits the phone I want to see if the battery life improves. I get about 15 hours of moderate use with the phone, in one charge.

Is this battery usage normal when on idle?

Screenshot_2012-01-05-16-05-28.png

Screenshot_2012-01-05-16-04-34.png

Top Bottom