• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Circle T

How do phone exchanges work with Verizon? I have a dark spot on my screen. Does it matter I purchased it from Amazon?
Yes, any return/repair/warranty issues will go through Amazon. They sold you the phone, and thus, do all the service for the device.

kinggroin

Banned
How do phone exchanges work with Verizon? I have a dark spot on my screen. Does it matter I purchased it from Amazon?

Year warranty right? I don't see why verizon won't replace it.

I bought my Droid x from amazon and 5 months later had it replaced over the phone with verizon.

The White Tuna debuts in the UK Feb. 6th. It might have 32GB and it might be 1.5ghz.

I'm debating whether I should return my LTE Tuna to Verizon and wait it out to see if they'll also have a White Tuna which runs at 1.5ghz. It's bullshit if they sell the original Black Tuna at 1.2ghz and then 2 months later debut the White Tuna at 1.5ghz.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Year warranty right? I don't see why verizon won't replace it.

I bought my Droid x from amazon and 5 months later had it replaced over the phone with verizon.
Do they ship the phone to you first? Or do you ship first? What do I do without a phone? Can it be done in store? I guess I'll call and find out soon.

Do you pay for carrier insurance?
Never.

Here's info for others:

Replacements
If you received a faulty item and need a replacement, please contact AmazonWireless Customer Service at 1-877-429-8502. Items must be returned within 30 days of purchase and comply with our Returns Policy.

If we send you a replacement item but do not receive the original item from you at our Returns Center within 40 business days, you will be subject to additional charges. Please note that it takes us 3 to 5 business days to process returns once they arrive at our Returns Center. You can view completed returns and refunds by visiting your account and accessing the relevant order summary.

I'm within 30 days so Amazon is replacing it. Phone is back ordered so I have to wait.

What's the best way of backing up my app settings? Titanium? My Tiny Tower!

longdi

Banned
i thought the adreno 220 is faster than even samsung exynos? it is just shit htc being shitty and all that made the adreno 220 looks bad. adreno is from the makers of 360 gpu.

kinggroin

Banned
i thought the adreno 220 is faster than even samsung exynos? it is just shit htc being shitty and all that made the adreno 220 looks bad. adreno is from the makers of 360 gpu.

Maybe the adreno is technically faster and maybe it isn't. What I do know is that more often than not, my friends G2 massively underperforms in gaming compared to my old Droid x. General OS stuff and navigation, his smokes mine.

To Bboy AJ, yes. They sent me a phone to activate first (in a box with a prepaid label for return of the defective unit).

kinggroin

Banned
OK. For folks still stock and curious about what improvements to expect when jumping to custom roms and kernels, I've made a list.

My setup is Franco kernal version 10 and gummy nex rom 3.8 - Android 4.0.3

Rotate consistently works and responds much faster (with a faster animation).

Scrolling home screens is 60fps 99% of the time even with full page widgets

Battery life during idle is MASSIVELY improved (lose about 1% per hour when in deep sleep)

App drawer is always 60fps even when getting to the widget page

Rotating to landscape in the web browser no longer screws with your scrolling frame rate (now always 60fps)

Zooming in on a web page no longer gives you a stuttery scrolling frame rate (now always 60fps)

Browser performance, especially with flash is greatly improved. 99% of the time we're talking ios level fluidity with waaaay faster scrolling and almost zero checkerboarding.

This may just be an app update coincidence, but the Google reader widget now scrolls at 60fps.

Things that still need fixing:

The keyboard always, ALWAYS causes performance drops in any app or web page that calls upon it. This is true in 4.0.2 and 0.3. Following that, typing replies in a forum (GAF especially) is an unmitigated disaster and Google needs to figure this shit out asap. No issues when using opera mobile however.

GS3, US, Summer? in what dimension!?

Well, I would expect September, just like the GSII. That's basically summer.

Wish Sprint's Early termination fee wasn't so high. i have 6 months to go. Tmo is cheaper with 6 months less. i think $100? instead of $160 like sprint :\

I have a couple questions on that, when they do an ETF you get to keep your phone, right?

It seems a little odd because the ETF is less than the ostensible value of the phone in the beginning (maybe 350 ETF, but your phone worth 600+, I guess you did probably pay 250 for it evening out?)

I had heard something about an "equipment fee" where they charge you for your phone in addition to the ETF, unless you return the phone...but this was a long time ago and only once on the internet.

Second, if you terminate your contract, you cant grandfather any now defunct plans in when you sign up again can you?

See that's why I think I cant ETF out of my contract, I'm on ATT's $5 200 texts plan (it's enough for me). Now they only have unlimited texting for $20 plan (overkill for me). I think if I reupp I can just stay with that 5/200 plan, but if I cancel I lose it for good even if I just get ATT again (thus have to pay 15 more per month forever). Is that correct?

Oh well not too worried my upgrade is due mid-march, for those of you complaining about Nexs size, I'm seriously considering the Galaxy Note, LOL.

reKon

Banned
OK. For folks still stock and curious about what improvements to expect when jumping to custom roms and kernels, I've made a list.

Battery life during idle is MASSIVELY improved (lose about 1% per hour when in deep sleep)

Rotating to landscape in the web browser no longer screws with your scrolling frame rate (now always 60fps)

Zooming in on a web page no longer gives you a stuttery scrolling frame rate (now always 60fps)

Browser performance, especially with flash is greatly improved. 99% of the time we're talking ios level fluidity with waaaay faster scrolling and almost zero checkerboarding.

This may just be an app update coincidence, but the Google reader widget now scrolls at 60fps.

The keyboard always, ALWAYS causes performance drops in any app or web page that calls upon it. This is true in 4.0.2 and 0.3. Following that, typing replies in a forum (GAF especially) is an unmitigated disaster and Google needs to figure this shit out asap. No issues when using opera mobile however.

Hmmmm maybe I will try out your setup sometime then. What I don't understand is why Google can't be the one to come up with these enhancements and improved performance...or is this something that we will see in the future anyways from other ota updates and developers are just providing them faster through roms and kernels?

That sounds great. Do you have any links to the best method for unlocking and rooting a VZW GN, and a link to the ROM you're using?

Menelaus

Banned
Kinggroin, any chance you can jot down a quick walkthrough of the steps you took to flash those? I'm familiar with the CM7 process on the DX, but that didn't involve separate kernals.

Menelaus

Banned
I managed to get Gummy and Franco's kernal up and running...now i'm seeing battery drops of like 7% every 15 minutes, and the stats aren't updating in real time. Do I need to reset the battery stats in recovery?

JonnyBrad

They're finally releasing the 32GB GSM then. Should have been there from launch. I bought a GS2 instead as i needed the extra space! Worst launch ever :(

Still tempted to trade in however!

Quick question. Does anyone know why google changed the text reflow in the browser? It now seems to format the text on the page load rather when you zoom in? So you get wierd size paragraphs when pages load. Why the fuck would they change that - the way the browser reflows the text in android is the best thing about it.

Someone showed what i mean on xda - http://imgur.com/B6Lx6

higher clock speed? yes.

faster? no, especially the GPU.

Well, I would expect September, just like the GSII. That's basically summer.
c'mon son!

i mean, sure, it was technically released on Sprint a week before summer ended last year, technically...

kinggroin

Banned
I managed to get Gummy and Franco's kernal up and running...now i'm seeing battery drops of like 7% every 15 minutes, and the stats aren't updating in real time. Do I need to reset the battery stats in recovery?

which version of those are you using? Make sure you install the Franco kernal AFTER installing gummy. Make sure you wipe cache and dalvik at the end.

Post a screen of the battery stats (both screens).

reKon

Banned
Running on GummyNex 0.4.7 + Franco nightly #10. There is indeed no more lag with the app/widget drawer. I did this mainly for improved battery life. To me it seems though that auto-brightness is much dimmer than stock. I'm going to leave it at half brightness and closely monitor my wake time when the phone is sleeping. I'm also going to leave the google location thing on thing on and if this causes any issues with keeping the phone awake).

Menelaus

Banned
which version of those are you using? Make sure you install the Franco kernal AFTER installing gummy. Make sure you wipe cache and dalvik at the end.

Post a screen of the battery stats (both screens).

Went ahead and reverted to stock for now. Was noticing quite a few little quibbles, I'll go for it again when things get a little more stable.

Just being unlocked and rooted on stock is enough for me now, really wanted my tethering back.

kinggroin

Banned
Went ahead and reverted to stock for now. Was noticing quite a few little quibbles, I'll go for it again when things get a little more stable.

Just being unlocked and rooted on stock is enough for me now, really wanted my tethering back.

What a cluster...

Sorry to hear man. No issues on my end, tethering is fine as well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If i do the quick pop up menu on the browser on the right side of the screen and select the dots, why does the menu pop up on the left side of the screen? Fix this, Google.

3phemeral

I had to quit the customization experiments with my D2 because of how many issues I experienced. Thankfully, stock ICS is so smooth for me I haven't yet needed to root, although tethering would be nice to have again. I'm fine for now.

Is there any way to watch twitch.tv streams on Android? I installed the flash player and some stuff works. Streams however do not, I just get a beige window that does nothing.

Piano

Banned
So I've got working root and unlocked bootloader on my phone but my recovery is still somehow broken. Booting into recovery either manually or through ROM manager just leads me to the red triangle with an exclamation point.

Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this? I want to be able to make backups. What details can I provide to help you figure it out?

Blackhead

Redarse
So I've got working root and unlocked bootloader on my phone but my recovery is still somehow broken. Booting into recovery either manually or through ROM manager just leads me to the red triangle with an exclamation point.

Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this? I want to be able to make backups. What details can I provide to help you figure it out?

Perhaps:
Q. I flashed CWM but each time I reboot the Stock Recovery is back

There is an auto recovery restore system on Android that will reflash the Stock Recovery if you flash CWM on a Stock Rom.

Use Root Explorer to Mount the system folder as R/W (or use a free app from the Market). Delete the file recovery-from-boot.p from /system. Now when you flash CWM Recovery it will NOT be overwritten after a reboot.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=20311264

Piano

Banned
Well flashing it repeatedly in Rom Manager seemed to have fixed it. But if it reverts again I'll try that, thanks!

Mordeccai

Is there a 4g coverage map anywhere? I haven't used 4g on my phone in three weeks, since I've had the phone and I want to try it out now. Only when I turn off my wifi, the highest signal I get is 3g. LTE/CDMA is enabled in my settings...

Anyone able to help me out?

Well, after 7 weeks of being a Nexus owner I picked up an iPhone 4S today. The Galaxy Nexus is an amazing bit of kit, but there are too many software issues with Android as a whole that have driven me mad since late November when I first purchased it. Issues such as:

- The keyboard is a pain to type on. Sure, it’s nice and large but after 7 weeks I was still typing the “n” key instead of space.
- No return key in the Messages app. Just a shortcut for emoticons.
- Apps that are still not available for Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Games not running at the full 720p resolution (such as GTA 3)
- Every single game runs at a much slower frame rate than the iPhone. Even 2D games such as Where’s My Water.
- Games not downloading. I purchased Sonic CD and it never completed the download process after weeks of trying. I’d leave it downloading overnight and wake up to find the download paused or incomplete, sometimes the download wouldn’t even start. I have a fibre optic 50MB web connection so presume it’s SEGA’s servers. No issue with the App Store today – it downloaded in minutes, first time.
- The email app not displaying image attachments at random. Even images taken with the camera. Restarting the Mail app/phone didn’t help, and K9 would also have problems displaying images. Could be a bug with ICS.
- My wireless Bluetooth headphones eating through battery . Playing music in general used up a lot of battery come to think of it.
- Jerky scrolling throughout. Sure, it’s better than earlier versions of Android but still not silky smooth like iOS.
- Change to any live wallpaper apart from the default choice and the OS becomes jittery. It meant I couldn’t use the cool “nexus” live wallpaper.
- Bugs and crashes everywhere. Music would pause randomly, the phone would crash requiring the battery to be removed, the keyboard would sometimes not appear.
- Battery not lasting a full work day. I had to buy a secondary charger and plug in the phone by 4PM – never happened with an iPhone. The Usage app always showed the display as the main culprit, even if it was set at a low brightness.
- Emails displaying at double size. Newsletters, image attachments etc (when they appeared) were all displayed so large they wouldn’t fit on the screen. Pinching to zoom doesn’t work so you have to pan around messages to read them.
- Problems syncing with a Mac. You can’t drag iPhoto albums to the device, so all of my photos (10,000+) appeared in one album in the photo Gallery, and DoubleTwist doesn’t currently work properly with ICS.
- Some music albums not showing album art – no matter what I try.
- No iTunes app to purchase music. Sure there’s Amazon Music and other apps, but these don’t have 120 second previews, are missing certain bands etc.

On the plus side:
- Widgets are great. I had my favourite bookmarks saved on the homescreen of the Nexus. I’ll miss those.
- The hardware puts the iPhone to shame. It’s button-less front is sleek and subtle. The iPhone 4S (in particular the white model) looks a mess in comparison with buttons and sensors cluttering the front and sides.
- The screen is amazing. Playing games, browsing the web etc is so much immersive on the Nexus.
- It’s less likely to smash if dropped.

I sold the Nexus for £450 and picked up an iPhone 4S, so my 7 weeks of Android adventures has cost me £50 in total. It’s been eye opening and fun, but I’m happy to live with the small iPhone screen and delicate hardware because of the software issues with ICS.

...and the defections continue to mount...

former Galaxy Nexus |OT| lifelong trudderham is the latest to switch sides!

gonna miss you in the thread man, enjoy iOS!

Top Bottom