• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
I haven't done any mayor research on amoled image retention and burn-ins.

but the Galaxy nexus seem to get image retention due to the soft keys instead of having a physical/capacitive buttons.

The black soft keys which will be on the screen about 90 percent of the time will cause image retention. This is evident when you play full screen videos, the space where the soft keys will seem to be darker than the rest of the screen. Anybody else notice this on there unit?

thespot84

but the Galaxy nexus seem to get image retention due to the soft keys instead of having a physical/capacitive buttons.

The black soft keys which will be on the screen about 90 percent of the time will cause image retention. This is evident when you play full screen videos, the space where the soft keys will seem to be darker than the rest of the screen. Anybody else notice this on there unit?

Part of this does not make sense to me. Afaik the lighting is controlled at the pixel or pentile level on amoled, in which case the color black would simply mean OFF for the pixel in question. How would that create burn in? Is my rational flawed?

EDIT: I also just watched some full screen shit and noticed no burn in at all, however this piece of hardware is new as of last thursday (got a replacement).

Part of this does not make sense to me. Afaik the lighting is controlled at the pixel or pentile level on amoled, in which case the color black would simply mean OFF for the pixel in question. How would that create burn in? Is my rational flawed?

Excellent point!

However do I notice the screen being darker on the notification bar and the softkey location.

Maybe its the other way around. The rest of the screen is getting used up while the black nofication bar and softkeys aren't.

RS4-

Any recommendations on what you'd do? Still using the Nexus S and not sure if I should get the Galaxy Nexus or wait lol. What's on the horizon aside from the Note?

If I grab the note, its about $100 more than the Nexus

Too bad the GSM Nexus doesn't have the expanded battery

Any recommendations on what you'd do? Still using the Nexus S and not sure if I should get the Galaxy Nexus or wait lol. What's on the horizon aside from the Note?

If I grab the note, its about $100 more than the Nexus

Too bad the GSM Nexus doesn't have the expanded battery

wait for after CES.

nocode

Took this with my Nexus at the Winter Classic in Philly Today.

PANO_20120102_135353.jpg

Once I learn how to use it a bit better, I think these panorama shots could look awesome. This is my first shot at it.

gcubed

dont notice anything on the soft key area at all when playing full screen video in youtube/netflix/videos. I notice it at times from my calendar widget when going to an all gray page (the all gray background of the market is where i see everything wrong with AMOLED, between the pentile and image retention).

edit... damnit double post. I haven't been on GAF in a bit.

killakiz

Well my Samsung Epic 4G does have slight burn in. I wouldn't be surprised if there was evidence of burn in.

I got this on my screen as well. Really noticeable with full screen images or videos that features a solid colour. The band where the soft keys usually reside in will be slightly darker. Can't be image retention though otherwise the shape of the keys itself would be visible but they aren't... Pixel wear perhaps?

MHL adapters work perfect in my experience. Well, sometimes you need to connect stuff in the right order for it to react, but it's not a big deal. I just bought a completely generic unbranded adapter and it's working just fine.

gcubed

I got this on my screen as well. Really noticeable with full screen images or videos that features a solid colour. The band where the soft keys usually reside in will be slightly darker. Can't be image retention though otherwise the shape of the keys itself would be visible but they aren't... Pixel wear perhaps?

it would have to be pixel wear everywhere else as black is "off" on these OLEDs, no power or pixel use

wetwired

i'm sure this has been asked already but to save me trawling through 143 pages is there a collated list of recommended apps for the nexus? I retired my 3gs this week for so I'm new to nexus and android

SUPARSTARX

I have a 3g Vibrant right now. If I drop that sim in from that phone I'm good to go on Tmobile right? How does the 3g/4g speed work? Do I need a new sim by any chance to enable it?

Husker86

"this application requires the verizon login client...."

so much for disabling shit, thanks VZ.

Umm, are you on a custom ROM? That's the message you get when whoever put together the ROM took the Verizon Login Client out.

edit: Ohhh, I get it; you disabled it. Why are you mad then? I think it's reasonable to expect Verizon stuff to need other Verizon stuff to work.

Circle T

Grabbed a spare MHL adaptor from an old Infuse when leaving work today, and I can confirm that, yes, the Nexus does MHL just fine. Like was previously mentioned, you have to plug everything in in a certain order for it to work, but once it does, it's fine. For me, it was....

1. Turn TV on
2. Plug USB into TV
3. Plug USB into MHL
4. Plug MHL into Phone, and make sure it starts charging
5. Plug HDMI into TV
6. Plug HDMI into MHL, wait a few seconds

After that, the phone will automatically switch to landscape, and it filled my TV perfectly. Just set your TV to "Just" or "Fill" (or whatever your TV calls it), and you should get a perfectly scaled 16:9 image. Unlike my Galaxy SII, the Nexus stays in landscape the whole time, launcher home screens and all. The GSII would do either portrait or landscape, but obviously portrait leaves you with tons of lost screen space, so landscape is preferred.

Overall, it works fine, and looked quite nice.

Piano

Banned
Just got SetCPU up and running on my Verizon GNex.
Anyone have any recommended settings? Looking to conserve some battery life.

kinggroin

Banned
Just got SetCPU up and running on my Verizon GNex.
Anyone have any recommended settings? Looking to conserve some battery life.

Yup. Ditch setcpu. Move to gummy 3.8 from, then flash the Frank kernal 9.2

All that from cwm. Folks are getting insane battery and performance improvements with that combo. Battery conservation as good as losing only 1% every 7 hours on idle, and being able to make it 3 days with light use!

I myself just got the kernal installed, so we'll see how things go on my end, but so far it seems my phone goes into deep sleep with little to no wakes as opposed to previous setups.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yup. Ditch setcpu. Move to gummy 3.8 from, then flash the Frank kernal 9.2

All that from cwm. Folks are getting insane battery and performance improvements with that combo. Battery conservation as good as losing only 1% every 7 hours on idle, and being able to make it 3 days with light use!

I myself just got the kernal installed, so we'll see how things go on my end, but so far it seems my phone goes into deep sleep with little to no wakes as opposed to previous setups.

Wait, what? Can you explain that first sentence in a bit more detail or link to a guide?

reKon

Banned
that rom is probably crazy because it's made by the same guy who did gummy charged on for the Droid Charge and apparently that greatly improved the phone. I'm not that experienced with flashing a new rom and I was going to wait a while before I tried doing that by seeing what improvements google makes themselves in their OTA updates. It may be worth it get a gummy rom now if everything is working correctly so far..

Top Bottom