• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
Oh shit I remember the Storm lol. Good idea. Bad implenentation.

I went:

Some random Nextel phone (everyone loved walkie talkie functionally at this point in time)
T-Mobile Dash
BlackBerry Storm
Motorola Droid
Motorola Droid X
Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Not bad at all I'd say!

I went from a nokia phone that had the original snake on it to having a Nexus One.

Spoiled. You should have to use a Blackberry Storm for a year first to really earn it.

Ha, well "technically" I had a pay as you go Nokia 6600 that I donated to charity (my cousin). Shoulda kept my sim card though, now I'm stuck with a shit area code. I feel like Elaine.

OK, so I'm finally ready to get a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Any idea how the back speaker compares to the original Moto Droid? I like listening to podcasts while working in the kitchen, and the Droid was just barely loud enough.

My Droid died about four months ago, so I've been hobbling along on a Palm Pixi Plus I got for cheap until I could get the GN. It has been quite painful, but I'm very excited for the hardware and ICS!

Salaadin

OK, so I'm finally ready to get a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Any idea how the back speaker compares to the original Moto Droid? I like listening to podcasts while working in the kitchen, and the Droid was just barely loud enough.

My Droid died about four months ago, so I've been hobbling along on a Palm Pixi Plus I got for cheap until I could get the GN. It has been quite painful, but I'm very excited for the hardware and ICS!

I cant compare it to the Droid since I never owned one but I will say that the back speaker isnt very loud at all. My DInc was much louder than this.

Forsete

My battery record (standard EU battery): 1d 23hours Currently at 14%
Screen time: 2h 23minutes (mostly web browsing, email checking and photography)
WiFi on

Trouble

Banned
How is the thickness? I was thinking of getting this case.

Not too bad, about as thick as my iPhone with commuter case, so it feels right to me. I have the i9250, and this case fits both models, so probably thicker than it needs to be. The phone isn't loose in the case, though. The fit seems perfectly snug, I'm not sure how they achieved that.

RS4-

I went from the iphone 4 to the Nexus S just to use Android more (my mum has the Galaxy SII and I didn't really use it that much)

So I'll try to pick up my GN this week

Has there been any word on 4.0.3 for LTE version?

I'm experiencing two bugs that I can't always reproduce, but I'm hoping are only in 4.0.2:

When I'm on 3G only, my data doesn't always "come back" after I finish a phone call, so I have to toggle airplane mode on/off to get it back.

Latitude often doesn't seem to work in the background, so my location is very stale. I use Latitude a lot with my wife, family, teammates to coordinate plans, so this kinda sucks.

MiniKelly

you should buy a bluetooth speaker for your kitchen. Brookstone has some display units to test.

Druz

My Droid speaker was pretty loud if you propped up something behind it to reflect the sound. The Nexus is really quiet.

After using this a lot today, i got a good 1 day 7 min and 20s out of the battery

Used twitter quite a bit , watched videos and browsed the net alot.

So pretty good so far, see how it does the next couple of days.

reKon

Banned
After using this a lot today, i got a good 1 day 7 min and 20s out of the battery

Used twitter quite a bit , watched videos and browsed the net alot.

So pretty good so far, see how it does the next couple of days.

are you using an extended battery? also, what was the amount of time your screen was on for?

reKon

Banned
battery tests (wow): http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-ga...y-tested-results-come-out-disappointing-test/

I knew the screen was a power sucker, but this is really bad. This has been my main disappointment with the phone. Everything else has been great.

The audio quality: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_nexus-review-699p5.php

One thing I don't understand is that there have been some days where I barely use the the phone, and the screen is off for most of the time. I feel like the battery has been draining much more than it should during this time and I'm not sure why. If the screen is off most of the day, shouldn't the phone basically be on stand by and be able to last for multiple days? Instead I'm seeing the battery life go down by around 15% when I don't use it at all for 4 hours. I've tried disabling the facebook app today and will see if that makes a difference. I've also had avg running in the background on this phone.

update: I searched around for this issue and yep there's something that's definitely wrong here. My Android OS percentage has consistently been around high 30 percent when the phone should be sleeping. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1387243

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/nijqc/galaxy_nexus_battery_life_is_a_software_issue_not/

people reporting the issue to google: http://code.google.com/p/android/is...s Owner Summary Stars&groupby=&sort=&id=22878

In fact, by looking at some of the screen shots in this thread, I'd say that other people are being affected by the problem, but they may not realize it. So right now, I seem to be losing a lot of battery when the phone's screen is off and even more when the screen is on...

any solution to use personal wallpaper without having to crop it? its pretty annoying..

I'm not too happy with ICS or with the galaxy nexus at all.....the GS2 can do almost everything better but the screen.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
any solution to use personal wallpaper without having to crop it? its pretty annoying..

I'm not too happy with ICS or with the galaxy nexus at all.....the GS2 can do almost everything better but the screen.

weren't you the dude who like a week ago posted about how you think the gs2 is waaay better but are going to try out the nexus for fun? and then you've repeatedly posted about how much better the gs2 is, saying the same thing like 20 different ways? ok. we get it already.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

JFC.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Had another random reboot. Happens once every couple of days. No idea why. Rooted.

kehs

Banned

Open the picture in your browser, long press > set as wall paper > smile.

weren't you the dude who like a week ago posted about how you think the gs2 is waaay better but are going to try out the nexus for fun? and then you've repeatedly posted about how much better the gs2 is, saying the same thing like 20 different ways? ok. we get it already.

Nope, at the beginning I stated I would make a comparison with the GS2, and decide what unit I should keep. I also stated pros and con of both units. Not much people have the opportunity to compare both units side by side. I thought it would help others who has the GS2, and would want to switch to the GN.

I'm not bias in anyways, I just say how I see it.

Open the picture in your browser, long press > set as wall paper > smile.

WOW!!! THANKS!!

Neogaf > XDA forum..

yanhero

Nope, at the beginning I stated I would make a comparison with the GS2, and decide what unit I should keep. I also stated pros and con of both units. Not much people have the opportunity to compare both units side by side. I thought it would help others who has the GS2, and would want to switch to the GN.

I don't know many people who would be willing to buy a $700 phone every 6 months. Unless you are the 1%, I think its safe to say that if you already own a GS2, don't get a GN.

thespot84

When you get a call, if you drag the circle to the text message icon you can send some canned 'cant talk' type messages. Pretty nifty.

Bboy AJ

When you get a call, if you drag the circle to the text message icon you can send some canned 'cant talk' type messages. Pretty nifty.

What sucks is that it's SMS only and you cantt default Google Voice to it :(

battery tests (wow): http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-ga...y-tested-results-come-out-disappointing-test/

I knew the screen was a power sucker, but this is really bad. This has been my main disappointment with the phone. Everything else has been great.

The audio quality: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_nexus-review-699p5.php

One thing I don't understand is that there have been some days where I barely use the the phone, and the screen is off for most of the time. I feel like the battery has been draining much more than it should during this time and I'm not sure why. If the screen is off most of the day, shouldn't the phone basically be on stand by and be able to last for multiple days? Instead I'm seeing the battery life go down by around 15% when I don't use it at all for 4 hours. I've tried disabling the facebook app today and will see if that makes a difference. I've also had avg running in the background on this phone.

update: I searched around for this issue and yep there's something that's definitely wrong here. My Android OS percentage has consistently been around high 30 percent when the phone should be sleeping. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1387243

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/nijqc/galaxy_nexus_battery_life_is_a_software_issue_not/

people reporting the issue to google: http://code.google.com/p/android/is...s Owner Summary Stars&groupby=&sort=&id=22878

In fact, by looking at some of the screen shots in this thread, I'd say that other people are being affected by the problem, but they may not realize it. So right now, I seem to be losing a lot of battery when the phone's screen is off and even more when the screen is on...

They pulled back the Nexus S 4.0.3 update because of battery drain. I'm sure Google is fully aware of this issue by now. It's probably why the Tuna 4.0.3 update has been delayed, hopefully we see it sorted before CES.

Bboy AJ

Any good, proper resolution wallpapers?

rozay

Banned
Regarding that battery test, displaying the color white on an AMOLED screen causes more power consumption than an LCD displaying the same thing. ICS looks great but Google's decision to include lots of whites and other bright colors throughout the OS is unfortunate for this screen tech. On the bright side, the browser now natively has a page invert option which is very, very useful.

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah I use my GN with the screen on a lot. It makes for a great eReader.I really need to get an extended battery or an external battery. Any suggestions for the GSM GN?

Smart Keyboard Pro's autosuggest works in the comment textboxes on websites (like one I'm typing in right now on Neogaf) unlike the stock ICS keyboard or the Thumb keyboard. It's now my default keyboard.

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah I use my GN with the screen on a lot. It makes for a great eReader.I really need to get an extended battery or an external battery. Any suggestions for the GSM GN?

Smart Keyboard Pro's autosuggest works in the comment textboxes on websites (like one I'm typing in right now on Neogaf) unlike the stock ICS keyboard or the Thumb keyboard. It's now my default keyboard.

The stock keyboard auto corrects just fine in 4.0.3.

Here's a screen (I use inverted colors in the forum to conserve battery).

4aqiH.png

Blackhead

Redarse
The stock keyboard auto corrects just fine in 4.0.3.

Here's a screen (I use inverted colors in the forum to conserve battery).

http://i.imgur.com/4aqiH.png

Ah, good to know. I'm using a 4.0.2 based ROM. The autosuggest works with the Smart Keyboard Pro but the autocorrect doesn't work properly. It doesnt support the underlined spellcheck either. There are other reasons to use the Smart Keyboard Pro though (using the volume buttons to move the cursor is my fave reason) but it'll be a tough choice when I move to 4.0.3

Can I get a link to the changelog for 4.0.3?

gcubed

yes

you may not be bias, but its what you did.

kinggroin

Banned
Ah, good to know. I'm using a 4.0.2 based ROM. The autosuggest works with the Smart Keyboard Pro but the autocorrect doesn't work properly. It doesnt support the underlined spellcheck either. There are other reasons to use the Smart Keyboard Pro though (using the volume buttons to move the cursor is my fave reason) but it'll be a tough choice when I move to 4.0.3

Can I get a link to the changelog for 4.0.3?

Can't help with a change log since I'm on an unofficial rom built from aosp 4.0.3

I can tell you the differences I've personally noticed:

Multitasking button comes up much faster (about 1 sec to populate) and instantly registers your touch to launch it.

Browser performance improved (GAF almost always scrolls at 60fps regardless how many gifs or pics are in a thread).

Launcher performance is more consistent. Even full of widgets, it usually hovers around 60fps. App drawer is MUCH improved as far as performance is concerned. I use to get some pretty bad lag when transitioning from apps to widgets in the drawer. Now, the transition is seamless.

Some flash based websites now run locked 60fps while playing (so long as you don't zoom in or rotate).

Things not changed:
Some flash based websites are still frame rate killers and sometimes rotating to landscape gives worse performance (same issue in Honeycomb with portrait and 4.0.2 in ICS). Also still not fixed, scrolling on a zoomed in web page causes frame rate issues and small stutters.

Typing in dialog boxes still sluggish (not sure why a hardware accelerated dialog box doesn't pop up to type in a la opera mobile).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
anyone have a good wallpaper for battery conservation? even just pure black is fine I guess but a little design wouldn't hurt

thespot84

anyone have a good wallpaper for battery conservation? even just pure black is fine I guess but a little design wouldn't hurt

you could all just try straight black. I got a black pic and cropped as small as I could so it wouldn't load much into memory....

I'm having a strange problem where the auto-correct options aren't appearing for me while typing into post fields on forums. Anybody else run into this?

Top Bottom