• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

JonnyBrad

Well, after 7 weeks of being a Nexus owner I picked up an iPhone 4S today. The Galaxy Nexus is an amazing bit of kit, but there are too many software issues with Android as a whole that have driven me mad since late November when I first purchased it. Issues such as:

- The keyboard is a pain to type on. Sure, it’s nice and large but after 7 weeks I was still typing the “n” key instead of space.
- No return key in the Messages app. Just a shortcut for emoticons.
- Apps that are still not available for Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Games not running at the full 720p resolution (such as GTA 3)
- Every single game runs at a much slower frame rate than the iPhone. Even 2D games such as Where’s My Water.
- Games not downloading. I purchased Sonic CD and it never completed the download process after weeks of trying. I’d leave it downloading overnight and wake up to find the download paused or incomplete, sometimes the download wouldn’t even start. I have a fibre optic 50MB web connection so presume it’s SEGA’s servers. No issue with the App Store today – it downloaded in minutes, first time.
- The email app not displaying image attachments at random. Even images taken with the camera. Restarting the Mail app/phone didn’t help, and K9 would also have problems displaying images. Could be a bug with ICS.
- My wireless Bluetooth headphones eating through battery . Playing music in general used up a lot of battery come to think of it.
- Jerky scrolling throughout. Sure, it’s better than earlier versions of Android but still not silky smooth like iOS.
- Change to any live wallpaper apart from the default choice and the OS becomes jittery. It meant I couldn’t use the cool “nexus” live wallpaper.
- Bugs and crashes everywhere. Music would pause randomly, the phone would crash requiring the battery to be removed, the keyboard would sometimes not appear.
- Battery not lasting a full work day. I had to buy a secondary charger and plug in the phone by 4PM – never happened with an iPhone. The Usage app always showed the display as the main culprit, even if it was set at a low brightness.
- Emails displaying at double size. Newsletters, image attachments etc (when they appeared) were all displayed so large they wouldn’t fit on the screen. Pinching to zoom doesn’t work so you have to pan around messages to read them.
- Problems syncing with a Mac. You can’t drag iPhoto albums to the device, so all of my photos (10,000+) appeared in one album in the photo Gallery, and DoubleTwist doesn’t currently work properly with ICS.
- Some music albums not showing album art – no matter what I try.
- No iTunes app to purchase music. Sure there’s Amazon Music and other apps, but these don’t have 120 second previews, are missing certain bands etc.

On the plus side:
- Widgets are great. I had my favourite bookmarks saved on the homescreen of the Nexus. I’ll miss those.
- The hardware puts the iPhone to shame. It’s button-less front is sleek and subtle. The iPhone 4S (in particular the white model) looks a mess in comparison with buttons and sensors cluttering the front and sides.
- The screen is amazing. Playing games, browsing the web etc is so much immersive on the Nexus.
- It’s less likely to smash if dropped.

I sold the Nexus for £450 and picked up an iPhone 4S, so my 7 weeks of Android adventures has cost me £50 in total. It’s been eye opening and fun, but I’m happy to live with the small iPhone screen and delicate hardware because of the software issues with ICS.
On a couple of those points. I think apple don't allow extra downloads after an app is purchased. Its done by vendors on android to stop people doing the 15 minute refund and its a scummy tactic. Google should put a stop to it. The sonic CD issue is a massive fuck up on Sega's part. Other secondary downloads work fine.

The lack of pinch zoom in the email client(s) is on of the longest standing complaints in android. Its fucking ridiculous they haven't fixed it. There are pages on code.google.com telling them to fix it. But they just ignore it. Who knows the real reason. Patents maybe. But it doesn't effect the browser.

After spending weeks reading about then tracking down a Nexus, it really was a difficult decision to sell it. Suppose I'm tired of feeling like a second-class user with all the bugs and problems.
Android is definitely getting better with each release, but the ecosystem as a whole just feels bolted together and a mess. Maybe I'll come back in a couple of years as try it again.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
After spending weeks reading about then tracking down a Nexus, it really was a difficult decision to sell it. Suppose I'm tired of feeling like a second-class user with all the bugs and problems.
Android is definitely getting better with each release, but the ecosystem as a whole just feels bolted together and a mess. Maybe I'll come back in a couple of years as try it again.

It's not for everyone. But at least you gave it a shot. There are a billion things I prefer about iOS but when it comes down to it, I prefer Android. ICS is finally the start of something beautiful. It's not quite there yet, though. A couple years sounds about right.

About quality Android apps, though... Maybe never.

Druz

Battery life is okay if you know how to optimize your time. Stuff id only geyting smoother with each iteration.

SumGamer

Could you please define "Quality Android app"? I am Android app developer myself, sometime I wonder what people wanted the app to feel like. Even little thing such as slick feeling is very hard to define in the development process :s.

Angst

Could you please define "Quality Android app"? I am Android app developer myself, sometime I wonder what people wanted the app to feel like. Even little thing such as slick feeling is very hard to define in the development process :s.
Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I don't even know what Bboy is talking about. 2 years ago things were sorely lacking, but lately I feel that the apps/games are of very high quality.

your post was pretty amazing. I have not used android yet just nokia so i can not say much.

Zeppu

Getting a lot of keep awake time from Maps. Anyone else experiencing this?

mwweC.png

ZXfom.png

Angst

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I don't even know what Bboy is talking about. 2 years ago things were sorely lacking, but lately I feel that the apps/games are of very high quality.
Find me a Twitter app that is enjoyable to use on Twitter. They all absolutely suck. You couldn't find something like Tweetbot on Android.

Look at Tapatalk on iOS compared to Android. Spotify on iOS v. Android. Spotify is alright, actually, but it uses the old ass Android pull up drawer for what reason, I have no idea. It hasn't existed in Android since 1.6, I think.

I can't define "slick feeling" but I know it when I see it.

Getting a lot of keep awake time from Maps. Anyone else experiencing this?

http://i.imgur.com/mwweC.png[/IM]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZXfom.png[/IM][/QUOTE]

Maybe your Latitude is bugging out?

Zeppu

I just turned it off to see if it's it. Strange though cause it's been on since I got the phone and never had that high usage with it.

kinggroin

Banned
Find me a Twitter app that is enjoyable to use on Twitter. They all absolutely suck. You couldn't find something like Tweetbot on Android.

Look at Tapatalk on iOS compared to Android. Spotify on iOS v. Android. Spotify is alright, actually, but it uses the old ass Android pull up drawer for what reason, I have no idea. It hasn't existed in Android since 1.6, I think.

Yup yup. I think its why I've since migrated to the mobile web app of some services. With how smooth the browser is in ics, I actually get a MUCH better experience this way.

I don't know if that's a good or bad thing though (I do hate not having the app hooks in the OS for quick sharing, when using the web app only).

Husker86

I like the official Twitter app, but I'm just a twitter "lurker" so maybe I'm not seeing deficiency.

However, I didn't continue with a Spotify subscription simply because of their Android app (haven't seen iOS one). It doesn't even support landscape and that pull-up drawer is so damn oldschool I couldn't support it.

Tapatalk I use on Android but haven't seen on iOS; I'll have to check it out.

Patriots7

I must be one of the few iPhone owners who can't wait to return to Android.
I had an Infuse 4g for a while, and although there were a few things that I missed about iOS, it really was an outstanding experience.

I honestly question if I just keep getting poor iPhone's, because out of my 3G and 2 iPhone 4, I see plenty of lag and jerky motions, not to mention app crashes throughout iOS. (Spotlight, texting, multitasking, call app are all hot messes on my phone from time to time) And for some reason, my battery life on my new iPhone 4 is ridiculously bad (my prior iPhone 4 could last forever, this one dies within 6 hours).

I guess I'm just bored of iOS. ICS just looks so refreshing. If only it had visual voicemail built in, and was subsidized by AT&T..

Husker86

I had plenty of crashes on my iPhone 4. iOS just closes the app though and gives no message so I think it doesn't stick in peoples' minds as much haha.

kinggroin

Banned
I must be one of the few iPhone owners who can't wait to return to Android.
I had an Infuse 4g for a while, and although there were a few things that I missed about iOS, it really was an outstanding experience.

I honestly question if I just keep getting poor iPhone's, because out of my 3G and 2 iPhone 4, I see plenty of lag and jerky motions, not to mention app crashes throughout iOS. (Spotlight, texting, multitasking, call app are all hot messes on my phone from time to time) And for some reason, my battery life on my new iPhone 4 is ridiculously bad (my prior iPhone 4 could last forever, this one dies within 6 hours).

I guess I'm just bored of iOS. ICS just looks so refreshing. If only it had visual voicemail built in, and was subsidized by AT&T..

The iPhone 4 (not the 4s)with ios 5 IS herkier and jerkier than the 4.0.3 GN. Stock 4.0.2 though, its a wash. If you factor app performance, the iPhone still shits all over anything Android.

Bboy AJ

The iPhone 4 (not the 4s)with ios 5 IS herkier and jerkier than the 4.0.3 GN. Stock 4.0.2 though, its a wash. If you factor app performance, the iPhone still shits all over anything Android.

Is 403 much smoother than 402? That's welcome. I'd put in my custom ROM now but I'll wait for my Amazon replacement to come through.

kinggroin

Banned
Is 403 much smoother than 402? That's welcome. I'd put in my custom ROM now but I'll wait for my Amazon replacement to come through.

I hated performance on 4.0.2 especially the web browser. For the most part, the os maintains 60fps when navigating around. Even web sites with flash can usually hold it (which blew me away considering my frigging desktop can't do it). A lot of strange issues were resolved.

No more random reboots
Far more consistent browser
Better performing launcher
Waaaaaay faster and more responsive rotation
Multi touch isn't broken anymore

What still sucks:

Laggy keyboard on forums
Keyboard being visable instantly cuts frame rate in half.
Transition from app drawer to home screen still isn't consistently smooth

Overall I'm very VERY happy. Not quite 4s level of performance (really, what is?), but fairly close to having our cake and eating it too.

Blackhead

Redarse
- Emails displaying at double size. Newsletters, image attachments etc (when they appeared) were all displayed so large they wouldn’t fit on the screen. Pinching to zoom doesn’t work so you have to pan around messages to read them.

Is there not one alternate android email app that fixes this? :(

gcubed

16gb only. No mention of speeds. I'd assume the 1.5ghz was just the mistake placeholder that the phone got everywhere. Sprint loses out on the 32gb phone as well? For its 4 markets.

_RT_

Well, after 7 weeks of being a Nexus owner I picked up an iPhone 4S today. The Galaxy Nexus is an amazing bit of kit, but there are too many software issues with Android as a whole that have driven me mad since late November when I first purchased it. Issues such as:

DELETED TO SAVE SPACE....

I hate to admit it, but I'm concerned I'll be considering the same thing.
10+ years with Sprint, so I'm psyched to see the Nexus on it's way.
But after trying out the wife's 4S, I find myself considering a move.

Other than my complaints about Apple in general and my hate of iTunes, it really is an amazing device.

I've been running an original EVO for about 1.5 years now, but unless Google has really cleaned up the interface and improved on the battery life, I just may bail for an iPhone 5 (if that drops this year).

alternade

16gb only. No mention of speeds. I'd assume the 1.5ghz was just the mistake placeholder that the phone got everywhere. Sprint loses out on the 32gb phone as well? For its 4 markets.

Im struggling with 32GB. 16 is a deal breaker. Google music doenst work for me. Chews up battery and with sprints spotty 3g ill be lucky to have my music all the time. Local only for me.

thespot84

For the maps battery issue, do uoubhave facebook installed? You can check what components of an app are running in settings::apps::running apps. Facebook has a location service that likes to go nuts. I just got rid of fb and use the webapp.

SimleuqiR

For the maps battery issue, do uoubhave facebook installed? You can check what components of an app are running in settings::apps::running apps. Facebook has a location service that likes to go nuts. I just got rid of fb and use the webapp.

Uninstall the FB app and install instead their Messenger App (which they didn't make, but bought the company that did out). Much better. Push even works.

For everything else, just use Gmail to get notifications from FB and, use the web app to comment etc. I mean, you can even upload images through the browser, which is pretty awesome.

MercuryLS

Banned

- The keyboard is a pain to type on. Sure, it’s nice and large but after 7 weeks I was still typing the “n” key instead of space.
- No return key in the Messages app. Just a shortcut for emoticons.
- Apps that are still not available for Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Games not running at the full 720p resolution (such as GTA 3)
- Every single game runs at a much slower frame rate than the iPhone. Even 2D games such as Where’s My Water.
- Games not downloading. I purchased Sonic CD and it never completed the download process after weeks of trying. I’d leave it downloading overnight and wake up to find the download paused or incomplete, sometimes the download wouldn’t even start. I have a fibre optic 50MB web connection so presume it’s SEGA’s servers. No issue with the App Store today – it downloaded in minutes, first time.
- The email app not displaying image attachments at random. Even images taken with the camera. Restarting the Mail app/phone didn’t help, and K9 would also have problems displaying images. Could be a bug with ICS.
- My wireless Bluetooth headphones eating through battery . Playing music in general used up a lot of battery come to think of it.
- Jerky scrolling throughout. Sure, it’s better than earlier versions of Android but still not silky smooth like iOS.
- Change to any live wallpaper apart from the default choice and the OS becomes jittery. It meant I couldn’t use the cool “nexus” live wallpaper.
- Bugs and crashes everywhere. Music would pause randomly, the phone would crash requiring the battery to be removed, the keyboard would sometimes not appear.
- Battery not lasting a full work day. I had to buy a secondary charger and plug in the phone by 4PM – never happened with an iPhone. The Usage app always showed the display as the main culprit, even if it was set at a low brightness.
- Problems syncing with a Mac. You can’t drag iPhoto albums to the device, so all of my photos (10,000+) appeared in one album in the photo Gallery, and DoubleTwist doesn’t currently work properly with ICS.
- Some music albums not showing album art – no matter what I try.
- No iTunes app to purchase music. Sure there’s Amazon Music and other apps, but these don’t have 120 second previews, are missing certain bands etc.

On the plus side:
- Widgets are great. I had my favourite bookmarks saved on the homescreen of the Nexus. I’ll miss those.
- The hardware puts the iPhone to shame. It’s button-less front is sleek and subtle. The iPhone 4S (in particular the white model) looks a mess in comparison with buttons and sensors cluttering the front and sides.
- The screen is amazing. Playing games, browsing the web etc is so much immersive on the Nexus.
- It’s less likely to smash if dropped.

I sold the Nexus for £450 and picked up an iPhone 4S, so my 7 weeks of Android adventures has cost me £50 in total. It’s been eye opening and fun, but I’m happy to live with the small iPhone screen and delicate hardware because of the software issues with ICS.

This happens on my Nexus S with ICS. Drives me nuts!

Pictures of a Galaxy Nexus dropped onto tile (crosspost from reddit):

http://imgur.com/a/ovFSd

Apparently the "fortified glass" is totally fine, but the screen underneath the glass is shattered. Still not sure what kind of glass Samsung used, but at least it looks pretty sturdy.

reKon

Banned
Battery life I got running on Franco nightly build #10 kernel and Gummynex 0.4.2. I would call this light usage from nearly an hour of voice calling, 1+ hour of browser/checking e-mail, 30 minutes of non-intensive gaming, 1+ hour of music (not streamed, downloaded offline before I left my apartment), nearly 2 hours of the screen being on, and a little bit of texting.

I would turn off Wifi when I wasn't at my apartment. Since I wanted to really see the endurance of this, I left it on auto brightness which for some reason on this rom/kernel combo makes the screen more dim than when everything was stock. Google location services are on, but I didn't turn on the GPS satellites or location/google search.

At medium usage, I had 3.5 hours of total screen time @ half brightness widget setting (which isn't exactly set to half if you check the settings) which looks great too me. I don't remember what I did other than watching an hour of dexter/archer combined, but I got 22 hours doing this. I'm assuming that with heavy usage, I can reach 10-12 hours (heavy usage for me would probably have this screen on for 5 hours?).

Pretty much, with this kernel and rom, it barely loses anything when the phone is in sleep when I got to bed (less than 1% an hour).

Performance is better where it lagged before and haven't encountered any bugs yet. I will test this sometime later, but I'm pretty sure that the battery drains too fast when listening to music. An hour listening to music today drained the battery 5%-6% with the screen being on for a little I think..)

r449rl.png

ESpqDl.png

5U48Pl.png

kNJrxl.png

I got a notification for a battery app. Its spam but I downloaded it by accident (tried scrolling down). The bloody thing downloaded before I could cancel, but it didn't install because of the default security settings. My problem is I can't find the file and can't remove it off my phone. Any help?

Bboy AJ

Alright, got my replacement GN. Rooting this bitch now and sticking gummy on it.

Bboy AJ

Don't forget. Install gummy 5, reboot into clockwork and install Franco kernal #11, wipe dalvik. Voila.

Forgot about that. Thanks!

Also, heads up to Google Wallet users: You'll lose funds you loaded onto the card. You'll have to call up 855-492-5538, verify yourself, and get your ID going. Make sure to keep your ID in the future.

Congrats, mingus! I'll need a GSM model when I move to Germany this summer.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I have not seen any screens showing rethemed virtual buttons or a different configuration based on the app, or more than 3. Is it possible?

Circle T

Don't forget. Install gummy 5, reboot into clockwork and install Franco kernal #11, wipe dalvik. Voila.

Speaking of that, I'm really happy to see kejar working on the Nexus. His "GummyCharged" ROMs for the Droid Charge took that phone from great to excellent. Glad he made the switch.

kinggroin

Banned
Speaking of that, I'm really happy to see kejar working on the Nexus. His "GummyCharged" ROMs for the Droid Charge took that phone from great to excellent. Glad he made the switch.

As was his work on the Droid X. Outside CM7 from revnumbers, kejar had the best rom available.

Kurdel

Banned
What is the best App to test 3G download speeds?

I borrowed a Galaxy S 2 from my job, and am looking forward to get my hands on the Nexus!

Circle T

So I have not seen any screens showing rethemed virtual buttons or a different configuration based on the app, or more than 3. Is it possible?

Here is one of a few different threads over at XDA on the subject of virtual buttons....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1355193

As was his work on the Droid X. Outside CM7 from revnumbers, kejar had the best rom available.

Oh, cool. I only knew him from the Charge area. I had no idea that he did DX stuff too. He does great work though, so I can't wait to see what he brings to the Nexus.

CaLe

Hey guys, what's the best custom rom currently available ?

I'm on an old version of that "HD" rom, and I'm thinking of changing. It feels really slow for some reason.

Thanks

kinggroin

Banned
Hey guys, what's the best custom rom currently available ?

I'm on an old version of that "HD" rom, and I'm thinking of changing. It feels really slow for some reason.

Thanks

That's an old crappy 4.0.2 rom

Get gummy nex 5.0 and Franco kernel #11. Make sure you flash the kernel AFTER you've booted into the gummy rom at least once. Wipe dalvik cache after installing the kernel.

CaLe

That's an old crappy 4.0.2 rom

Get gummy nex 5.0 and Franco kernel #11. Make sure you flash the kernel AFTER you've booted into the gummy rom at least once. Wipe dalvik cache after installing the kernel.

Edit:

Just looked around and found Gummy Nex 5.0. I'm about to install it now, thanks.

Would you happen to have a guide for Franco Kernel #11 please ? I'm not sure also what you mean by dalvik cache.

Much appreciated.

Top Bottom