• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

lunchtoast

Anything in AOKP that you noticed you like better than Gummy? I've been fine with Gummy but for some reason want to switch.

AOKP has a few more options, and comes with nova launcher. I miss the widgets in the notification bar that gummy had. AOKP has them too, but you have to press the settings icon in notifications to see them, which I hate. Stability wise I haven't noticed any difference.

MiniKelly

I don't know how to feel about this phone, it's awesome and meh at the same time.

I sorta had that feeling too. It is a great phone and possibly the best phone available now. But then it is just a smartphone after all and not worth the hype.

I can see myself using this phone for 2 years and not going to buy into the quad core, 5 inch screen, 16 megapixel, next android os hype.

JoeFu

Banned
I like it, but yeah it's just a smartphone. I just needed a new phone because the N1 screen was bugging out on me like crazy. 2 years per phone sounds good to me and it just happened to be another Nexus phone :D

kinggroin

Banned
Shit. So forced gpu acceleration DOES work. Need to reboot the phone for it to take effect.

Tumblr, Facebook, Netflix, Listen, and even words with friends now run at 60fps.

Shit. So forced gpu acceleration DOES work. Need to reboot the phone for it to take effect.

Tumblr, Facebook, Netflix, Listen, and even words with friends now run at 60fps.
You sure about that?

I could swear it works right after I activate it without rebooting on my Galaxy S.

kinggroin

Banned
So I rooted last weekend and installed gummy and franco 12. Last night I installed aokp build 19. I was wondering if anyone on cdma is using the power saver option? It mentioned stability problems. Is this also the same as the 1% battery mod?

also wtf at the pink unicorn at startup, haha.

No, it's not the same. The power saving feature does work on the LTE version of the nexus, but it can be buggy.

and yeah, I had to ditch that pink unicorn as soon as possibl

Repost for new page:

So, I chose to wait for the GS3 for the improved hardware but that Galaxy Nexus design just keeps calling to me; I just love it and I'm guessing the GS3 is gonna be more in lieu with the Galaxy line of products (who's design I'm kinda meh on -- not really a fan of the faux iPhone look).

Anyways, are you Nexus guys experiencing any problems in regards to performance? I saw a few videos of the Nexus browser stuttering like mad but those were all pre-4.0.3 vids, are most of the performance issues fixed?

Maybe I should wait until the Nexus 4 comes out lol.

rozay

Banned
So, I chose to wait for the GS3 for the improved hardware but that Galaxy Nexus design just keeps calling to me; I just love it and I'm guessing the GS3 is gonna be more in lieu with the Galaxy line of products (who's design I'm kinda meh on -- not really a fan of the faux iPhone look).

Anyways, are you Nexus guys experiencing any problems in regards to performance? I saw a few videos of the Nexus browser stuttering like mad but those were all pre-4.0.3 vids, are most of the performance issues fixed?

The CPU is just as capable as any dual core right now, and I'm not entirely convinced a stronger GPU will eliminate the issues people have with smoothness and lag moreso than optimizing the software. I'm buying it for the design :p

kehs

Banned
Is there another LED app that....doesn't have so much configuration options? I mean, all the options in Light Flow make want to stab myself in the face.

I just want "Gmail = Green" / "Speed=fast"

Cartman86

Banned

I don't know if 4.0.3 fixes the browser issue you saw, but the rom i'm using (which is built on 4.0.3) certainly does. The browser is very smooth and fast. I didn't have stuttering like crazy on 4.0.1, but it wasn't blazing fast.

Dont think you have to restart but you do have to kill apps that were open for it to take effect.

Just confirmed by killing speedtest, enabling it, starting up speedtest and the up/down glitch occurs

rozay

Banned
Is there another LED app that....doesn't have so much configuration options? I mean, all the options in Light Flow make want to stab myself in the face.

I always preferred cyanogenmod's LED notifications to trackball alert or light flow, hopefully it can be ported to custom roms and is light on resources if I don't end up on CM9 with the phone.

My N1's volume buttons are failing. Beginning to get tempted, but do I really need to spend money on a new phone :(

Menelaus

Banned
Just got my Diztronic case in...kind of digging the glossy front. The back isn't quite as grippy as I'd like but the gloss is actually MORE grippy than the back, so it works out.

Husker86

I know what you mean with the millions of options but...once you set it to Gmail=Green/Speed=fast you're done. What's the problem?

kehs

Banned
I know what you mean with the millions of options but...once you set it to Gmail=Green/Speed=fast you're done. What's the problem?

I always get irked when I start seeing settings all out of order that can possibly counter-act settings elsewhere. It's irrational, I know. I think I'm turning into a form over function type dude.

Maybe I'll take Faceless's suggestions soon.

Menelaus

Banned
I always get irked when I start seeing settings all out of order that can possibly counter-act settings elsewhere. It's irrational, I know. I think I'm turning into a form over function type dude.

Maybe I'll take Faceless's suggestions soon.

Annoying settings vs no light at all.......hmmmmmmmmmmmm

kehs

Banned
Annoying settings vs no light at all.......hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Honestly, the first thing that annoyed me is that I turned the screen off and the light popped up steady, but I had no notifications.*

The default settings on the app are pretty bad. They settings layout took me like five minutes to get through, not cool. It feels needs a walk through to be honest.

I'm also super annoyed that this is the second nexus phone with a notification led, but Google didn't build led control into the settings, uncoherent hyenas!

*The app sets a default led on when you have no signal. wut...why?

kinggroin

Banned
Honestly, the first thing that annoyed me is that I turned the screen off and the light popped up steady, but I had no notifications.*

The default settings on the app are pretty bad. They settings layout took me like five minutes to get through, not cool. It feels needs a walk through to be honest.

I'm also super annoyed that this is the second nexus phone with a notification led, but Google didn't build led control into the settings, uncoherent hyenas!

*The app sets a default led on when you have no signal. wut...why?

Ha, God Almighty man. Unpolished, but highly functional apps have been a staple of this OS since forever. Set things the way you like and find something else to be crotchety about. Otherwise, well, I hear Jtwo has never been happier ; )

no really stop whining

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish someone would teach the LightDev dude good UI. The app could stand to be cleaned up a bit. It is annoying to go through each individual notification. Thankfully, my notifications are fairly simple.

Not sure why he decided "always" was the best choice for notification speed.

kehs

Banned
Ha, God Almighty man. Unpolished, but highly functional apps have been a staple of this OS since forever. Set things the way you like and find something else to be crotchety about. Otherwise, well, I hear Jtwo has never been happier ; )

no really stop whining

The very first app I bought was trackball alert, and even though that still isn't that great to navigate, I was still able to setup my blinking lights rather quickly.

I was expecting it to just take over just the light colors, not sound/vibrate as well that added like....ten pages worth worth settings.

If I could get one app to be cleaned up and polished on Android, it'd be Tasker.

Super functional, but ugly as sin and hard to navigate.

I bought tasker....and returned withing 5 minutes. if, then, that instructions should not be something a typical user sees....like....ever

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sick and tired of my GN just randomly rebooting into a constant bootloop. It just happened again. Now I have to completely wipe the phone. I wonder if it's a bad GN I've gotten. No one else seems to have this problem.

Exchanging it again. Sigh.

Menelaus

Banned
Sick and tired of my GN just randomly rebooting into a constant bootloop. It just happened again. Now I have to completely wipe the phone. I wonder if it's a bad GN I've gotten. No one else seems to have this problem.

get an iphone.

So I have had a LTE GN for about a week now with the extended battery and I'm only seeing about 6 to 7 hours of battery life while only having the screen on for about an hour to an hour and a half, at low brightness.

Is this normal or could my phone or battery be bad.

So I have had a LTE GN for about a week now with the extended battery and I'm only seeing about 6 to 7 hours of battery life while only having the screen on for about an hour to an hour and a half, at low brightness.

Is this normal or could my phone or battery be bad.

Which apps are you using and are you turning them off?

kinggroin

Banned

Mine would reboot randomly on stock. Still does on Kang, CM9, and Gummy. Not sure what the deal is, but its frickin' ridiculous I agree. Reminds me of the initial Froyo release for the DX; what a pain in the ass THAT was.

You know, in this quest for a perfected and polished android, I completely forgot how to enjoy my phone. Shit. I don't think I've had all my essential apps installed all at once, for more than a day. I mock my dad and his iPhone ways, yet there he is... downloading yet another fart sound board, with a smile on his face.

The hell's wrong with me?

Bboy AJ

Mine would reboot randomly on stock. Still does on Kang, CM9, and Gummy. Not sure what the deal is, but its frickin' ridiculous I agree. Reminds me of the initial Froyo release for the DX; what a pain in the ass THAT was.

Yeah but at least yours reboots. Mine boot loops. I have to wipe the entire ROM for it to work again. Restoring doesn't work. We'll see how this goes.

Regarding the iPhone comment, yup, you're right. But I still wouldn't go back to my iPhone OG, 3GS, or 4. The GN is the best phone I've owned yet.

Which apps are you using and are you turning them off?

Sorry forgot to mention that im not using the facebook app. On a daily basis i use words with friends, the browser, and occasionally check the Verizon NHL app, gmail and the news and weather app. I do use the stock app switcher thing to kill old apps.

kinggroin

Banned
Sorry forgot to mention that im not using the facebook app. On a daily basis i use words with friends, the browser, and occasionally check the Verizon NHL app, gmail and the news and weather app. I do use the stock app switcher thing to kill old apps.

Make sure you turn off words with friends notifications

You know, in this quest for a perfected and polished android, I completely forgot how to enjoy my phone. Shit. I don't think I've had all my essential apps installed all at once, for more than a day. I mock my dad and his iPhone ways, yet there he is... downloading yet another fart sound board, with a smile on his face.

The hell's wrong with me?

you don't have an iPhone.

kehs

Banned
Fourteen hours and 9% left, with little usage, no sim card for the first 14 hours, straight wifi.

Not impressed.

Top Bottom