• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
I feel the same way ever since i got the tuna..

but but ..only 1 phone got official ICS...and thats not even the best android phone ...

What makes you think the Galaxy S2 is the best Android phone?

It has better hardware and might be a tad bit smoother than the Nexus but I think ICS + a 720p screen more than make up for it. Plus the Nexus is schmexy.

What makes you think the Galaxy S2 is the best Android phone?

It has better hardware and might be a tad bit smoother than the Nexus but I think ICS + a 720p screen more than make up for it. Plus the Nexus is schmexy.

Hardware: super fast, no hiccup, smooth overall not just tad smoother. Can run anything. Its on par with the iphone 4s and its been out since May. No other android phone is more powerful....err the Note if you consider that a phone...

Camera: only the iphone 4s is better. Gnex have a really crappy camera. The no shutter is a gimmick, because to actually make the picture decent, you will have to focus which add shutter time.

developers: If you got the exynos, there is more roms and mods than the gnex. Plus the Gnex takes forever to back up and restore via nanoid. I never had a random reboot with the GS2 while I had random reboot with stock Gnex. Alot of developers are sticking with the GS2.

Super amoled +: 720p super amoled is nice but other than watching full screen videos, it wasn't really that useful. Unless Im watching 720p videos the screen won't be full screen because of the soft keys. The color is much more vibrant and brighter on the GS2.

Reception: Gnex reception sucks kinda...i tried multiple base band.

Speaker: GS2 is louder....Gnex is kinda on the low side.

All this and its a tad cheaper than the Gnex.

My Gnex is gone when the iphone 5 or GS3 comes out.

But still.... the Gnex is too dayam sexy though...I'm so proud of my tuna..

rozay

Banned
The GS2 and nexus use the exact same radio, and I'm not sure that "more roms and mods" is appropriate when 90% of them are just skinned and modded touchwiz roms. Driver support isn't available to make a fully functional AOSP rom without samsung's help, and they have not done so and probably will treat the GS3 the same. That basically killed my interest in the GS2 as I think the touchwiz theme is atrocious.

The only thing I would've liked to see in the nexus that isn't there is a better camera. I guess samsung has a huge stockpile of shitty 5MP CMOS sensors that they decided to chuck in this phone, it just doesn't make sense that a late 2011 flagship has such a poor camera compared to the competition. It's barely improved from the nexus one and nexus S in terms of the unit itself.

thespot84

Fourteen hours and 9% left, with little usage, no sim card for the first 14 hours, straight wifi.

Not impressed.

I'm curious what people actually expect out of these things. It's running the latest software and powering TWICE the screen that an iphone does, and somehow that's the benchmark? It's a computer. In your pocket. With an HD screen.

I charge to and from work....sometimes...in the car for 20 minutes each way, and I easily go from 8am to midnight with 30% left, and I'm happy as hell with it.

rozay

Banned
I'm curious what people actually expect out of these things. It's running the latest software and powering TWICE the screen that an iphone does, and somehow that's the benchmark? It's a computer. In your pocket. With an HD screen.

I charge to and from work....sometimes...in the car for 20 minutes each way, and I easily go from 8am to midnight with 30% left, and I'm happy as hell with it.
My nexus one gets better battery life than that, he has a reason to be concerned.

thespot84

My nexus one gets better battery life than that, he has a reason to be concerned.

I'll reiterate.... smaller phone, smaller screen, fewer cycles, older software, yet everyone compares like it's apples to apples. It's not. It's like running crysis on a 5 year old machine and complaining about framerates.

Battery tech is the bottleneck in phones, everyone knows that, but let's be honest when we start comparing battery life and putting some kind of qualitative measure on it. Given the state of the science, the tech and the hardware, I'm impressed with the battery life. Comparing it to much else at this point is frankly a bit disingenuous.

rozay

Banned
I'll reiterate.... smaller phone, smaller screen, fewer cycles, older software, yet everyone compares like it's apples to apples. It's not. It's like running crysis on a 5 year old machine and complaining about framerates.

Battery tech is the bottleneck in phones, everyone knows that, but let's be honest when we start comparing battery life and putting some kind of qualitative measure on it. Given the state of the science, the tech and the hardware, I'm impressed with the battery life. Comparing it to much else at this point is frankly a bit disingenuous.
The galaxy nexus normally has better battery life in every way in comparison with the nexus one due to numerous hardware and software improvements even with it's large screen, which is why I made the comparison :p

dankir

Just got mine this afternoon...... WOW!! Upgrading from a 3G to this. Completely new.experience for me . Really like it so far.

reKon

Banned
Mine would reboot randomly on stock. Still does on Kang, CM9, and Gummy. Not sure what the deal is, but its frickin' ridiculous I agree. Reminds me of the initial Froyo release for the DX; what a pain in the ass THAT was.

You know, in this quest for a perfected and polished android, I completely forgot how to enjoy my phone. Shit. I don't think I've had all my essential apps installed all at once, for more than a day. I mock my dad and his iPhone ways, yet there he is... downloading yet another fart sound board, with a smile on his face.

The hell's wrong with me?

I have never gotten random reboots... what kind of apps are you installing...?

Mrcapcom

Is that an anime in your avatar or something else?

Nami from One Piece

I will hopefully be getting a G Nex in FEB, I figure even if I have to stick with the GNex for 2 years
I'll be ok cause i can still get updates from google. And see how this whole smartphone thing goes
with intel chips and quadcores coming out.

Whats your opinion guys? Is it still good to grab the GNex or should I wait?

Ashes

Banned
Nami from One Piece

Cheers, I knew it was familiar, but it looked like one of those Pixar film type 3d animations. I know I haven't watched one piece in years but they have changed their art style that dramatically have they? It is just my eyes, right?

Edit: I've already put myself down for one, getting it delivered tomorrow. So I'm in for the 24 month haul I suppose.

Ronok

Cheers, I knew it was familiar, but it looked like one of those Pixar film type 3d animations. I know I haven't watched one piece in years but they have changed their art style that dramatically have they? It is just my eyes, right?

Edit: I've already put myself down for one, getting it delivered tomorrow. So I'm in for the 24 month haul I suppose.

That's a model not a pic from the anime.

Mrcapcom

Well with the series going to HD it looks slightly different but thats a model might not be made by the company so a different take on it. I think thats the Strong World Version (Movie is really hot)

Yea I kinda want to wait for MWC but im thinking even if they have something better GNex is still good because of the future updates from google.

tumblr_lnxgwcHCgq1qhd5ono1_500.jpg

kinda looks like this the bra is blue not black maybe he painted it i dunno lol

Ashes

Banned
Well with the series going to HD it looks slightly different but thats a model might not be made by the company so a different take on it. I think thats the Strong World Version (Movie is really hot)

Yea I kinda want to wait for MWC but im thinking even if they have something better GNex is still good because of the future updates from google.

s3 will be out soon I hear; you could just save up the couple of months you are not on contract, so it makes it even more easier; even if money ain't an issue, it's still a bonus. :p

Mrcapcom

s3 will be out soon I hear; you could just save up the couple of months you are not on contract, so it makes it even more easier; even if money ain't an issue, it's still a bonus. :p

Yea but I doubt ill be leaving verizon. You think GS3 will come to Verizon?

reKon

Banned
being able to take screenshots easily is really nice. Was able to share how cold it was here on facebook in less than 30 seconds. Was screenshots something available in gingerbread (without having to obtain that functionality)? Or was it was it added to Touchwiz?

Mrcapcom

Hows Battery life? Im cool just getting through like a 8 hour day so lets say i wake up 7am and leave work at 5pm as long as the phone is not dead by then im good. I also charge during the day. Is the extended battery (2100mah?) Worth it? How long have you guys ran on that?

Menelaus

Banned
Hows Battery life? Im cool just getting through like a 8 hour day so lets say i wake up 7am and leave work at 5pm as long as the phone is not dead by then im good. I also charge during the day. Is the extended battery (2100mah?) Worth it? How long have you guys ran on that?

You should read the thread a little bit. All the answers you seek lie within, my son.

reKon

Banned

I have the LTE version. On stock 4.0.2 it lasted that long easily. Get it rooted and put a different kernal on such as aokp milestone 2 + franco's and you won't ever need to worry about battery. You won't even think you'll need an extended.

Ashes

Banned
You should read the thread a little bit. All the answers you seek lie within, my son.

The op is kinda weird for an OT. Nothing but the conference. Jtwo ought to really update it, failing that, If someone knows their stuff, perhaps send a mod a pm and have it edited into the op. this is like an op for the conference which just somehow became an op for the device itself. Galaxy Nexus |the real OT| needs to happen. :p

kehs

Banned

There's more or less a "standard" life for a mobile phone, it should last you a day with normal use.

14 hours with minimal use is barely reaching it. I don't mind, cause I can have it charging the majority of the day, but still....mfg's should make battery performance a top priority.

I'm also not too concerned because if I keep the phone, I won't be stock firmware. My N1 gets an insane battery increase when you switch to CM.

The op is kinda weird for an OT. Nothing but the conference. Jtwo ought to really update it, failing that, If someone knows their stuff, perhaps send a mod a pm and have it edited into the op. this is like an op for the conference which just somehow became an op for the device itself. Galaxy Nexus |the real OT| needs to happen. :p

Jtwo jumped ship when he met siri.
LLShC.gif

gcubed

I feel the same way ever since i got the tuna..

but but ..only 1 phone got official ICS...and thats not even the best android phone ...

until it gets ICS, it's not the best. There is no way i'd saddle someone with gingerbread at this point in time over camera quality

kehs

Banned
So what do I do about Android OS keeping my phone awake for hours? It's suddenly become the #1 battery drain.

More than the screen?

Could be something not syncing right in the background and retrying endlessly.

----

Sidenote, my GN got ten dollars cheaper, thanks for the $10 Google Wallet.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Anyone got a decent looking cover or case for their Nexus.

I've none on mine and wondering if its really needed but I would like something pretty slim that looks decent on the phone.
The SGP covers look pretty good from first glance.

kinggroin

Banned
So I went ahead and dropped my Max clock to 750mhz at 900mv..

...noticing no real performance difference (1080p videos still play fine, scrolling is still mostly smooth) but battery life difference is massive. Screen off is the same, but rate at which the battery drains with the screen on is 50% slower it seems. I'll charge it fully and give it a real run, and report back.

Mrcapcom

So I went ahead and dropped my Max clock to 750mhz at 900mv..

...noticing no real performance difference (1080p videos still play fine, scrolling is still mostly smooth) but battery life difference is massive. Screen off is the same, but rate at which the battery drains with the screen on is 50% slower it seems. I'll charge it fully and give it a real run, and report back.

Hold up so 1080p videos run good on this phone? :drools: definitely getting one can't wait.

Top Bottom