• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The look is ugly but I wonder what the quality of the replacement cover is like. If it's cheap rubber, no go. Plus that's a very steep price.

Pyrokai

So I recently bought an iPhone 4S and I've been very disappointed in it. I'd be much happier with the Galaxy Nexus (former Android user here). What are my options to get this phone without breaking the bank?

So I recently bought an iPhone 4S and I've been very disappointed in it. I'd be much happier with the Galaxy Nexus (former Android user here). What are my options to get this phone without breaking the bank?

how recent? too long to get a refund? sell it? you could make most of the cost up...

keep it for a few more weeks and decide if you REALLY want to give up iOS?

why did you switch anyway?

probably because at some point in a post he said IOS and you told him to buy an iphone

jt8IF0wPnClt1.jpg

Pyrokai

how recent? too long to get a refund? sell it? you could make most of the cost up...

keep it for a few more weeks and decide if you REALLY want to give up iOS?

why did you switch anyway?

I got it in October, so it's too late to do anything. I'm just curious how much I could get for selling it and if it's possible to get a Galaxy Nexus for $300 or less somehow (since I won't be able to get the subsidized price through Verizon). I've never done something like this. I usually duke it out with my phone for 2 years before getting a new one. I really don't know how people get new phones more frequently.

And yeah, I'm sure I'd like ICS over iOS. iOS is so vanilla and boring and....very disappointing. It runs like butter, but I feel suffocated after moving from an Android phone. I switched because I thought I'd like it better, but the opposite ended up being true.

andycapps

Sell the iPhone and then buy the GN out of contract. You should be able to get about $400 out of it. I think the GN is $599 new. So that should be about the same price for you as if you'd gotten it on a 2 year contract.

I got it in October, so it's too late to do anything. I'm just curious how much I could get for selling it and if it's possible to get a Galaxy Nexus for $300 or less somehow (since I won't be able to get the subsidized price through Verizon). I've never done something like this. I usually duke it out with my phone for 2 years before getting a new one. I really don't know how people get new phones more frequently.

And yeah, I'm sure I'd like ICS over iOS. iOS is so vanilla and boring and....very disappointing. It runs like butter, but I feel suffocated after moving from an Android phone. I switched because I thought I'd like it better, but the opposite ended up being true.

maybe you could even find someone to do a straight trade of a GNX for 4S somehow...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You can sell that 4S for $500-$600 I bet. Use that money to buy a Galaxy Nexus.

Blackhead

Redarse
Llamma has some an unplugged/plugged charging condition, and a screen brightness action, give that a shot.
Hey, thanks that worked. Apparently for some phones you have to turn off the screen before the brightness is properly toggled but that's not an issue.

I upgraded to ARHD 2.0.4? Not much of a difference. I lost that Black Android theme though which doesn't work with ARHD anymore. :/ The only reason I installed ARHD in the first place was because the theme said that was the only ROM he supported... then he changed to a different one a week later. I don't have the time to be evaluating all these ROMs with their claimed battery life improvements (which more often than not refer to standby time not onscreen time). I'll stick with ARHD until CM or AOSP 4.0.3 is officiallly releseased. I am interested in these kernels that add functionalty. Has anyone gotten usb host or otg working on a galaxy nexus?

andycapps

Thanks guys! I had no idea I could sell it for so much :eek:

I would suggest to check Craigslist but it's down today for SOPA. Ebay is showing them new for between $480-600, from what I saw. I don't know if you have the 16 gig or 32 gig, but you should be able to get quite a bit out of that.

Salaadin

I see that Seidio now has a Surface case that fits the Verizon extended battery. Just purchased one. Ive been dropping my phone way too much lately.

Just wanted to check in and show some battery life stats. On Franco 12 with gummy.

This is with over an hour of talk time. Sooo much better than stock.

Also, 4G on continuously.

Can you resize that picture?

Anyways I keep seeing these posts and have to question it somewhat, granted I am generally on wifi at home and at work, but :

EDIT: Just to clarify, what I'm question is why it's a) impressive and b) not achievable with stock

Stock - Extended battery

1d 0h 19m - 3% left - 3h 11m screen time on
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

1d 11h 6m 24s - 4% left - don't remember the screen time on, I want to say 2 hrs:
image.jpg

image.jpg

That said I did have one really awful day which I think is some ICS bug, phone just wouldn't go to sleep. I ended up uninstalling G+ updates, reinstalling, and turning off the top two checkboxes for gps and that seemed to help but I have no clue if it was actually related. I thought maybe it was bugging out trying to do the picture auto-upload for screenshots, but I have no proof of that.
image.jpg

reKon

Banned
Just wanted to check in and show some battery life stats. On Franco 12 with gummy.
VwzJL.jpg

This is with over an hour of talk time. Sooo much better than stock.

Also, 4G on continuously.

Do you have the facebook app or light flow lite running in the background?

I'm going to start turning on 4G and see how well battery life fares as I just realized that I actually do have it in my area. It's just that when I'm in my apt, I have terrible signal so I don't pick it up.

Menelaus

Banned
I see that Seidio now has a Surface case that fits the Verizon extended battery. Just purchased one. Ive been dropping my phone way too much lately.

Damn, just ordered the Diztronic this week. I'll have to see how I like it. I used an Incipio on an iPhone and loved it.

reKon

Banned
Damn, just ordered the Diztronic this week. I'll have to see how I like it. I used an Incipio on an iPhone and loved it.

To me it's pretty good. It fits perfectly and people say that it still fits with the extended battery. My roommate has an Incipio case for the Galaxy S II on AT&T and the diztronic is basically the same material.

Menelaus

Banned
Ok, cool, the material is really what I was concerned about. The one I have now is grippy rubber and loves to pull my pocket out.

NH Apache

Banned
Can you resize that picture?

Anyways I keep seeing these posts and have to question it somewhat....

Whoa, yeah. Did not realize that the screenshot would be that big.

What exactly are you questioning?

Do you have the facebook app or light flow lite running in the background?

I'm going to start turning on 4G and see how well battery life fares as I just realized that I actually do have it in my area. It's just that when I'm in my apt, I have terrible signal so I don't pick it up.

I have Facebook installed, but I do not use it. I use the mobile site. Negative on Light flow.

Sell the iPhone and then buy the GN out of contract. You should be able to get about $400 out of it. I think the GN is $599 new. So that should be about the same price for you as if you'd gotten it on a 2 year contract.

Where is GN $600? I've only seen it for $700 and it's what makes me want to get the S2 instead still. :/

gcubed

I have Facebook installed, but I do not use it. I use the mobile site. Negative on Light flow.

its not overly impressive.

Well, I dont have an LTE version, but he does so my comparison won't help

Salaadin

To me it's pretty good. It fits perfectly and people say that it still fits with the extended battery. My roommate has an Incipio case for the Galaxy S II on AT&T and the diztronic is basically the same material.

The Diztonic was nice and fit good but I hated not having a cutout for the volume buttons. I kept accidentally adjusting the volume even when I wasnt directly pushing on the buttons. Might just be the way I held/handled the phone, though.

Seidio has a cutout for everything except the 3 pin adapter (which I dont use) so theyre probably better for me.

reKon

Banned
The Diztonic was nice and fit good but I hated not having a cutout for the volume buttons. I kept accidentally adjusting the volume even when I wasnt directly pushing on the buttons. Might just be the way I held/handled the phone, though.

Seidio has a cutout for everything except the 3 pin adapter (which I dont use) so theyre probably better for me.

They made a revision for my verison of the diztronic case (revision 3). Mine has the volume cut outs and there are cutouts for every input/output of the phone. Everything fits perfectly now

NH Apache

Banned

I don't think so either. I'm a bit disappointed that we couldn't get this kind of performance out of stock, but, hey, I'm all for voiding my warranty.

Menelaus

Banned
They made a revision for my verison of the diztronic case (revision 3). Mine has the volume cut outs and there are cutouts for every input/output of the phone. Everything fits perfectly now

Yup, diztronic is on Rev 3 and has cutouts for everything.

Husker86

Their "revision 3" which is the current one on Amazon has cutouts for the volume. I just got one for my girlfriend's GN...it's making me consider using a case for the first time in a while. Fits great over the extended battery too.

Clicky

It would be perfect for me if it didn't have the glossy front :( that's the only reason I'm holding back.

Im saying i dont get why these custom rom battery life postings are supposed to be impressive. The stats i posted are stock and pretty much the same. Basically agreeing with Oozer that I get that kind of battery life from stock.

I don't think so either. I'm a bit disappointed that we couldn't get this kind of performance out of stock, but, hey, I'm all for voiding my warranty.

Also I believe you misunderstood the post by gcubed, I think he was stating what I was questioning, saying that it's not overly impressive the battery stats you/others have posted from custom roms. Correct me if i'm wrong gcubed.

To those who posted battery life: What's your screen on time?
bolded my notes about screen on time just in case you meant me. 1st set was 3h11m 2nd set I didn't remember to take the picture of that screen, but I think it was 2h or so

Bboy AJ

To those who posted battery life: What's your screen on time?

Menelaus

Banned
Their "revision 3" which is the current one on Amazon has cutouts for the volume. I just got one for my girlfriend's GN...it's making me consider using a case for the first time in a while. Fits great over the extended battery too.

Clicky

It would be perfect for me if it didn't have the glossy front :( that's the only reason I'm holding back.

Wait...it has a built in screen protector? fuuuuuuuuu

Maybe I can x-acto knife it out.

Salaadin

Clicky

Wow, thats nice. If my Seidio didnt already ship, I would have definitely considered the newer Diztronic. I tried to cut out my own hole for the volume in my first Diztronic and that didnt work out too well :p

Cudder

How's everyone's GPS working? I have the Rogers GSM version, and I just exchanged it yesterday for another one because of some really spotty GPS tracking.

Just using walking navigation, it sometimes put me on a completely different street, going a completely different way. Sometimes it would correct itself, sometimes not. The driving navigation was hit or miss. Coming from a Nexus One, which literally had perfect navigation, it's definitely a step down. I don't know whether to chalk it up to Samsung (I know they have had a history is crappy GPS in their phones, or the rainy/cloudy day I tested it out on.)

Either way, I've read reports of perfectly working GPS in the Galaxy Nexus so I figured what the hell and exchanged it. The driving navigation seems to work okay now, but walking GPS is still hit or miss.

Don't know whether to trade it in again or just suck it up and
Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

kehs

Banned
This thing is beautiful.....

Dat screen.

I didnt think this would feel so not huge in hand.

I'n having second thoughts about flipping it now.

Keyouta

This thing is beautiful.....

Dat screen.

I didnt think this would feel so not huge in hand.

I'n having second thoughts about flipping it now.

You got the phone now?

As for the size, I'm not finding it terribly big. I like the screen size and weight of the device.

reKon

Banned
I really feel that the screen size is something you just adjust to. I don't understand those who can say they instantly hate the size. It's something that you realize the benefit of after extended weeks of use. Using it with two hands really isn't that bad, and I have used it with one hand depending on what I was doing. I haven't dropped this once

kehs

Banned
You got the phone now?

As for the size, I'm not finding it terribly big. I like the screen size and weight of the device.

Yea I jumped on the daily steals price. Finally received it today.

Phone feels so normal, im very relieved.

Already missing the trackball when typing though.

Piano

Banned
Is there any way to exchange my rev 2 Diztronic for a rev 3? I seem to remember reading about it on XDA...

Also about to pull the trigger on the Verizon extended battery. Figure I'll get the Seidio one in a year when it's cheaper and I don't care about the phone being sexy any more.

rozay

Banned
Did you know you can use the volume rocker for better cursor placement accuracy.
How does this work? I feel like I'll adjust to it after using the phone but text editing on an iPhone (which I was great at for 2 years) feels like such a pain in the ass now when I can just move my thumb from the keyboard to the trackball right below on my N1 :( less is not always better

Top Bottom