• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
For official Twitter app users... anyone encountering a strange error when trying to load pics?

For twitter pic links that the person directly tweets (and loads inline) I have no issues, but for retweeted twitter pic links (where you have to click to load, and it loads in your default browser) I'm now just getting a blank, white screen in my browser. The browser (ICS in this case) is fine as I can still access my quick controls, but literally nothing is shown. This *only* happens with retweeted twitter pic links and I can't reproduce the error in any other situation.

Also, I'd rather not use any other browser than the default ICS browser... any suggestions?

I'm running stock ICS 4.0.2.

My GSM version of this phone is not as smooth as my previous Samsung Galaxy S2...there's stuttering and lag. Its no user breaking but its clear its there....when does the 4.0.3. releases?

Felt the same way, sucks because the GPS is not as fast as the GS2 plus the low volume.

Best to to root and put in AOKP M2 + Franco to make it less lag. No point staying stock 4.0.2.

So I should be getting my Nexus in today. Currently have an S2, but I can't say I'm fully satisfied with it. I know I'm making some sacrifices in going to the Nexus, but I mainly wanted the pure ICS experience and a better sound DAC.

Is AOKP + Franco kernel the way to go right now?

You will be disappointed on how low volume of the Gnex.

Yes, AOKP M2 + franco kernel is the way to go. I've tried almost all of them and it has the best combination of performance/stability/battery life. I'm sticking with it till M3 comes out or i get bored and try out other roms.

lunchtoast

Storage is only wiped when locking and unlocking the phone. Rooting and going from ROM to ROM, your "SD card" contents remain untouched. As for apps and system level stuff, titanium backup.

Ok, so wiping data for a new rom I'll still keep my nandroids and titanium backups?

thespot84

Yes. I can say this a crackflasher that has kept his N1, G2 and Thunderbolt up to date with the latest nightly CM7 builds

WAIT! nandroid/titanium store backups on an sdcard. James from 818 have you used a nexus? I ask because it DOESN"T HAVE ONE. ICS entirely redid their filesystem into one partition. The only memory on this phone is on a single chip. are you SURE that it doesn't get wiped? there is a /sdcard as a folder in memory only to support legacy apps.

EDIT: i'm not trying to yell at you with caps just trying to be as clear as possible

3phemeral

LLShC.gif

Husker86

Did you have any trouble connecting to LTE today? Almost the entire day while I was at work, my phone would go from sketchy 4G, to 3G, to just outright no data at all. Everything seems back to normal now. Were there some issues with VZW today in Omaha, or is my phone just being stupid?

I'm sure it was the network. Hard for me to say since I'm on WiFi during class and at home and hardly take it out of my pocket in the car haha.

Husker86

WAIT! nandroid/titanium store backups on an sdcard. James from 818 have you used a nexus? I ask because it DOESN"T HAVE ONE. ICS entirely redid their filesystem into one partition. The only memory on this phone is on a single chip. are you SURE that it doesn't get wiped? there is a /sdcard as a folder in memory only to support legacy apps.

EDIT: i'm not trying to yell at you with caps just trying to be as clear as possible

It doesn't wipe the "SD" partition. True, it doesn't have an SD card, but the only time the fake SD partition will be wiped is during a reset like when you OEM unlock the phone. Wiping data in CWM before ROM flashing will leave it in tact...otherwise how would you flash a ROM? If the SD gets wiped then you wouldn't have the .zip to flash.

edit: sorry for double post

Socreges

Banned
The body, the screen, the radios, the camera, the...
Yeah, I knew there were several differences. Was just wondering about the particulars. Managed to find an article that compared them, though.

And came across this:

The Galaxy Nexus is a remarkable device, and is arguably the best smartphone in the world. That being said, from a hardware perspective, it, and the soon to be realized Galaxy S2 HD LTE are likely to be eclipsed entirely by the next generation of quad core devices set to hit the market in early 2012.
Maybe I'll wait.

kehs

Banned
Real talk time.

Nexus S > Galaxy Nexus > Nexus 1 in in-hand feel

Galaxy Nexus > N1 > Nexus S in screen

N1 > Nexus S > Galaxy Nexus in availability

I may need to be given a late pass, but try this on your phone:

- hit mic button in search bar
- say "note to self wipe your butt"
- click send
- MARVEL AT THE AWESOMENESS

Yeah, I knew there were several differences. Was just wondering about the particulars. Managed to find an article that compared them, though.

And came across this:

Maybe I'll wait.

The pace of Android phone innovation means that whatever you buy will be obsolete within 3-4 months. But Nexus phones only come along once a year, so if you wait on the Tuna you'll have to wait for the Nexus Midori (Orca) at the end of 2012 if you want a stock Android experience! Whatever else is released this year will be skinned with Sense or TouchWiz or MotoShit.

Circle T

I'm quite surprised with how well the data usage monitoring works on here. According to my VZW account, I've used 6.739GB during this cycle, and the phone says 6.73GB as well. I'm on "Unlimited" so I don't really need to monitor this, but it is nice to see that it is very precise for those who do.

Roofy

What roms/kernals are running the best for you guys right now? I see franco up to 14

I just rooted mine with franco and AOKP after a couple of weeks of vanilla ICS. I'm quite frankly amazed with the battery life I'm getting.

After 7 hours this morning on battery it had only discharged 5%.
Right now its at 13 hours of moderate use I'm only at 77%.

I knew to expect a good amount but I had never come close to this with my Milestone

Mordeccai

I'm addicted to modding this thing... from the soft keys to just flashing roms its a little crazy. Then again, I flashed the hell out of my Droid 1 for the first year I had it as well, so I guess this is normal for me haha.

And its unbelievable how much sexier the phone is without a case. Been using it sans case for a week now and it feels like a different device. Soooo smooth!

Blackhead

Redarse
ye, that's the cheapest
I just rooted mine with franco and AOKP after a couple of weeks of vanilla ICS. I'm quite frankly amazed with the battery life I'm getting.

After 7 hours this morning on battery it had only discharged 5%.
Right now its at 13 hours of moderate use I'm only at 77%.

I knew to expect a good amount but I had never come close to this with my Milestone
ok, i have to try this. got a link tona good guide that you can share?

I'm addicted to modding this thing... from the soft keys to just flashing roms its a little crazy. Then again, I flashed the hell out of my Droid 1 for the first year I had it as well, so I guess this is normal for me haha.

And its unbelievable how much sexier the phone is without a case. Been using it sans case for a week now and it feels like a different device. Soooo smooth!
what soft key mods have you done?

lunchtoast

Here is my review for the otterbox defender-

Con-It's too bulky for my pocket, wish the commuter was available.
Pro-Your phone will be indestructible, comes with a stand.

Menelaus

Banned

Way too slippery naked for my tastes. The only reason I'm using a case is so I don't drop it as much.

So I just got the Gnex, but my headphones audio jack is pretty huge (ath m50). Any case recommendations with alot of space in the audio jack area?

Husker86

I'm quite surprised with how well the data usage monitoring works on here. According to my VZW account, I've used 6.739GB during this cycle, and the phone says 6.73GB as well. I'm on "Unlimited" so I don't really need to monitor this, but it is nice to see that it is very precise for those who do.

I'm a nerd and think it's fun to keep track of data in the usage section but it keeps resetting after some ROM flashes :( ...even if I don't wipe.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Knock on wood

My replacement (second) GN seems to not have the random crashing and bootlooping issues. The previous must have been bad hardware.

gcubed

gcube: got my sena sleeve..it's a little disappointing. It's nice leather, but a little less padding than what I was expecting. It's also super tight, which according to some folk at xda will loosen up after a few days.

Yesterday I came across this:http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/go...-nexus-leather-case-crumena-pouch-series.html

Which looks like something I'd prefer more. =\ My pops is using a similar case for his NS and it's pretty nice.

thanks... decisions. Do any of these work with the Nexus S to protect it while its in the washing machine? My wife could use one *grumble* *grumble*

Maxrunner

Felt the same way, sucks because the GPS is not as fast as the GS2 plus the low volume.

Best to to root and put in AOKP M2 + Franco to make it less lag. No point staying stock 4.0.2.

You will be disappointed on how low volume of the Gnex.

Yes, AOKP M2 + franco kernel is the way to go. I've tried almost all of them and it has the best combination of performance/stability/battery life. I'm sticking with it till M3 comes out or i get bored and try out other roms.

Do you know a good guide to flash to this??
regards,

Top Bottom