• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
Dropped my 3 week old Nexus face down on a tiled floor. Glass shattered, LCD is ok :( I'm now trying to hunt down a repairer in Melbourne.

Feel really annoyed at myself.

Edit: had my Desire for years with no annoying mistake... have never broken a phone before!

Damn, sad to hear that dude. My heart skips a beat if my phone even adjusts in my hand, regardless on whether or not it's going to actually fall.

Odd though.. I've seen pictures of a Nexus that fell on tile as well, but the exact opposite happened: the glass was intact but the LCD screen broke. Weird.

lunchtoast

Anyone having problems with google voice and notifications? I never get them on my phone and I have to go into the app to see the message, or even sync it first. I've checked all the sync settings and nothing. I'm on AOKP 19. Might just have to go back to email forwarding.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone having problems with google voice and notifications? I never get them on my phone and I have to go into the app to see the message, or even sync it first. I've checked all the sync settings and nothing. I'm on AOKP 19. Might just have to go back to email forwarding.

No problems. Are you sure your app settings are right?

SimleuqiR

Well, this was a total misunderstanding:

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsu...k-screen-not-targeted-apple-lawsuit-after-all

“We’re aware that there was a hearing involving Apple’s slide-to-unlock feature after our patent infringement case last Friday and a series of products in the Galaxy lineup were accused there, but what we’ve discovered is that the Galaxy Nexus wasn’t one of them,” the company official said.

The unlocking mechanism on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus -- what's in the unadultered Android 4.0 code, actually, and is not a feature specific to Samsung devices -- at the very least looks and feels different than the slide-to-unlock bar on iOS. In Ice Cream Sandwich, you have a ring that you pull to the left to launch the camera application, or right to unlock the phone. Apple's iOS has a button that you slide to unlock the device.

Salaadin

Is Seidio the best case for people who drop phones a lot? Any other recommendations?

I hear great things about otterbox.

My brother has seidios crazy protection case for his DInc and loves it.

I only ever used seidios surface cases and love them. They are for light protection though.

Cudder

Is Seidio the best case for people who drop phones a lot? Any other recommendations?

I'm still waiting for my Seidio Surface to come for my GN, but I had one for my Nexus One and it was just incredible when it came to drops. I imagine it will be similar for the GN.

So basically if we want Facebook syncing for contacts, we have to buy that HaxSync app that someone made on the Market? Facebook or Google aren't going to fix this, are they?

rozay

Banned
Well, since the N1 has the air gap, the screen is sorta 'tucked" underneath the glass, so the notification bar really does "blend" into the bezel.
I would say the reflectiveness of the glass screen combined with the screen being tucked under ruins the "blend" effect. I don't recall being bothered by it on the GN but I used it for like an hour haha.

DCX

DCX
I'm about a week or two away from getting this phone. I have an Incredible now. The wife is leaning towards a Razr and im in the Nexus camp.

Anyone that has used both have impressions to share?

DCX

rozay

Banned
I'm about a week or two away from getting this phone. I have an Incredible now. The wife is leaning towards a Razr and im in the Nexus camp.

Anyone that has used both have impressions to share?

DCX
there aren't a lot of reasons to get a razr over a nexus, especially if your wife has tiny hands. it's advantage in thinness isn't really an advantage when it's uncomfortable to hold, has a worse (pentile) screen and is not as fast or smooth due to being stuck on gingerbread for the moment. Have her try both out in the store.

rabhw

I'm so awful at putting screen protectors on. Paid like $40 bucks (incl shipping) for a Martin Fields pack of 2. Managed to fuck both installations up, what a giant waste of money :(

I did it in the bathroom with the shower going to try and make all the dust sink. Without fail a single piece of dust would get under somehow. Then peeling it back up is a giant pain, usually ending with me getting some fingerprints on the underside near the edges.

If for some reason THAT doesn't happen, whenever I try to peel it back to get rid of a singular dust particle, another one always fucking appears and the cycle continues until the fingerprint happens etc etc.

Normally I'd just leave a single dust particle under it, but for some reason the single speck of dust makes a bubble that was impossible to get rid of, so I had no choice.

bad@screen protectors :(

I'm still using a DS Lite sleeve for my phone right now lol I'd like to use a case + screen protector, but one isn't good without the other, so DS sleeve it is :(

rozay

Banned
I'm so awful at putting screen protectors on. Paid like $40 bucks (incl shipping) for a Martin Fields pack of 2. Managed to fuck both installations up, what a giant waste of money :(

I did it in the bathroom with the shower going to try and make all the dust sink. Without fail a single piece of dust would get under somehow. Then peeling it back up is a giant pain, usually ending with me getting some fingerprints on the underside near the edges.

If for some reason THAT doesn't happen, whenever I try to peel it back to get rid of a singular dust particle, another one always fucking appears and the cycle continues until the fingerprint happens etc etc.

Normally I'd just leave a single dust particle under it, but for some reason the single speck of dust makes a bubble that was impossible to get rid of, so I had no choice.

I'm still using a DS Lite sleeve for my phone right now lol I'd like to use a case + screen protector, but one isn't good without the other, so DS sleeve it is :(
I think they should be washable, and when you have the protector on the phone, you just have to quickly lift up a corner with tape and using a small piece of tape stick and remove the dust on the underside of the protector. It just takes a little patience. Hold the tape so it's concave to help prevent it from accidentally sticking to the glass.

I watched a guy behind the counter at Dubai's airport try to put on an iPad screen protector for an old woman. He struggled for 20-25 minutes to get it on cleanly and without dust before giving up, and he never tried washing or removing any dust inside so who knows what it looks like up close.

DCX

DCX
there aren't a lot of reasons to get a razr over a nexus, especially if your wife has tiny hands. it's advantage in thinness isn't really an advantage when it's uncomfortable to hold, has a worse (pentile) screen and is not as fast or smooth due to being stuck on gingerbread for the moment. Have her try both out in the store.
Yea..she just got wind of the pink/purple version. It's a done deal :/

Told her to wait for the MAXX, not gonna listen :(

DCX

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm still waiting for my Seidio Surface to come for my GN, but I had one for my Nexus One and it was just incredible when it came to drops. I imagine it will be similar for the GN.

Thanks guys recommended this and Otterbox to my friend.

kehs

Banned

Shoot them an email and explain what happened. Most of these scree protector companies will gladly ship you out new ones for free. I ordered a set, not sure what company, and there was only in the package, sent over an email, and they shipped out a set of two.

Worth a shot.

rabhw

Shot them an email and explain what happened. Most of these scree protector companies will gladly ship you out new ones for free. I ordered a set, not sure what company, and there was only in the package, sent over an email, and they shipped out a set of two.

Worth a shot.

Hey, it worked! A replacement is being sent out. I just hate how in their installation they put it on perfectly in 15 seconds like smug motherfuckers. No bubbles, no dust, nothing.

Then I get it home and I want to stab my eyeballs out with how fucking frustrating it is. I have no patience for shit like that :(

Circle T

Verizon LTE phones won't work on the network without a SIM card.

Did you have any trouble connecting to LTE today? Almost the entire day while I was at work, my phone would go from sketchy 4G, to 3G, to just outright no data at all. Everything seems back to normal now. Were there some issues with VZW today in Omaha, or is my phone just being stupid?

lunchtoast

How do you guys back your stuff up? Since all the storage is wiped do you make a partition with titanium, or just back up to your computer. I backed up to my computer but I couldn't copy back my titanium files to the phone.

-Oh wait, didn't notice a dropbox option.

kinggroin

Banned
How do you guys back your stuff up? Since all the storage is wiped do you make a partition with titanium, or just back up to your computer. I backed up to my computer but I couldn't copy back my titanium files to the phone.

-Oh wait, didn't notice a dropbox option.

Storage is only wiped when locking and unlocking the phone. Rooting and going from ROM to ROM, your "SD card" contents remain untouched. As for apps and system level stuff, titanium backup.

DXPett1

So basically if we want Facebook syncing for contacts, we have to buy that HaxSync app that someone made on the Market? Facebook or Google aren't going to fix this, are they?

Pretty sure Facebook are going to redo the app and make it more of an app and less of a mobile website container now that someone from Firefox team jumped shipped and is in charge of Facebook's Android division

Dreaver

Hey Nexus-gaf, with my current contract I can get a new cell phone. I actually wanted to wait for the Galaxy s3 but The Verge just reported

Cheers! it won't be out before summer most likely

So I am thinking between getting a s2 or Nexus. So I was wondering, does the Nexus have any cons next to the s2 except for the price? Should I go for the Nexus for about 100-140 euro's more? (I love the design)

Cheers!

Maxrunner

My GSM version of this phone is not as smooth as my previous Samsung Galaxy S2...there's stuttering and lag. Its no user breaking but its clear its there....when does the 4.0.3. releases?

Has anyone found a car dock and charging cable they like for the VZW LTE GN?

From what I've read, the official charger on the VZW site does not allow for charing via the three-pin connection, which has disappointed a lot of people. Is the official dock/charger the best bet, or is there something better out there?

datamage

So I should be getting my Nexus in today. Currently have an S2, but I can't say I'm fully satisfied with it. I know I'm making some sacrifices in going to the Nexus, but I mainly wanted the pure ICS experience and a better sound DAC.

Is AOKP + Franco kernel the way to go right now?

Sky Chief

Has anyone found a car dock and charging cable they like for the VZW LTE GN?

From what I've read, the official charger on the VZW site does not allow for charing via the three-pin connection, which has disappointed a lot of people. Is the official dock/charger the best bet, or is there something better out there?

Does anyone know if the LTE GN with an extended battery will fit in the European car charger? I want a car dock with pins as well.

Maxrunner

So I should be getting my Nexus in today. Currently have an S2, but I can't say I'm fully satisfied with it. I know I'm making some sacrifices in going to the Nexus, but I mainly wanted the pure ICS experience and a better sound DAC.

Is AOKP + Franco kernel the way to go right now?

How's those??

Top Bottom