• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

gcubed

Haha...really? Bummer.

this is like the 3rd phone she's destroyed, she didn't appreciate the "maybe you should stick to a prepaid phone" comment. I just wanted to share that with everyone to show that at times i'm an ass in real life as well, but my wife is a saint and doesn't ban me

Dropped my 3 week old Nexus face down on a tiled floor. Glass shattered, LCD is ok :( I'm now trying to hunt down a repairer in Melbourne.

Feel really annoyed at myself.

Edit: had my Desire for years with no annoying mistake... have never broken a phone before!

damn dude that sucks hope it gets sorted out for you.

Circle T

Anyone futzing around with multiple sim cards? Do you have to turn off the phone to switch them?

I have to switch my work SIM between devices quite often. Sometimes can get away with not powering off by going to airplane mode first. But more often than not, the phone will tell you to restart in order to initialize the SIM.

SimleuqiR

Talk about outdated hardware...

http://androidandme.com/2012/01/dev...th-faster-cpu-and-improved-camera-on-the-way/

Could Google be working on a slightly updated version of the Galaxy Nexus? It wouldn’t be the first time a manufacturer refreshed a device just months after the initial release. A recent benchmark score spotted on the Nenamark site shows a Galaxy Nexus featuring a PowerVR SGX544 graphics processor.

The faster SGX544 GPU is included with Texas Instruments’ upcoming OMAP4470 processor. This is the successor to the original OMAP4460 found in the Galaxy Nexus, that includes the older SGX540 GPU.

While it’s true this result could have been spoofed, we have seen evidence of a Galaxy Nexus with a different processor speed before in a leaked ad for Sprint. Samsung underclocked the 1.5 GHz OMAP4460 to run at 1.2 GHz in the Galaxy Nexus, so it’s possible they could underclock the 1.8 GHz OMAP4470 to run at speeds around 1.5 GHz.

I know a few here would be upset if this was the case.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Meh, I don't care. When I was younger and thought specs made a difference, I would have. Right now, though, I don't care. My GN won't stop working once that one is released.

But I will try to swing the GSM version of the new model this summer when I move to europe :)

SUPARSTARX

It's alright. Over ten years ago my desktop was slower than this phone in terms of specs. We've come a long way. I upgraded from an S1 which isn't too old but I think I will be hanging onto Gnex for quite some time until the next big thing in another 2.5-3~ years I suppose.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Flashed M3 over M2. Hope that won't be an issue.

TxdoHawk

I know a few here would be upset if this was the case.

Another .3-.5 GHz is not likely to make a huge difference in day-to-day use, aside from possibly running the battery out even faster.

Speaking of battery life...there's still no updates on when Verizon's 4.0.3 is hitting, is there? I figure there's likely to be at least a handful of tweaks specific to the LTE handset, so I'm waiting for that before I bother rooting and installing a custom ROM, so it will all be baked in.

reKon

Banned
What are the chances that Nexus gets a bigger battery than the extended, but the case fits just as well as the official extended one? Seeing the razor Max with its crazy battery just makes me cry. I would love to at least have a 2600mah battery that doesn't fatten the phone.

gcubed

Another .3-.5 GHz is not likely to make a huge difference in day-to-day use, aside from possibly running the battery out even faster.

Speaking of battery life...there's still no updates on when Verizon's 4.0.3 is hitting, is there? I figure there's likely to be at least a handful of tweaks specific to the LTE handset, so I'm waiting for that before I bother rooting and installing a custom ROM, so it will all be baked in.

i could care less about the .3 - .5ghz, care more about a 544 vs a 540 GPU

Nice, good timing. I have a feeling that there's still gonna be a bug or two in there though

It will probably still more stable than stock. M2 ran like a champ.

Flashed M3 over M2. Hope that won't be an issue.

Directions say you would need to do a full wipe if coming from m2 ...no exceptions!

What are the chances that Nexus gets a bigger battery than the extended, but the case fits just as well as the official extended one? Seeing the razor Max with its crazy battery just makes me cry. I would love to at least have a 2600mah battery that doesn't fatten the phone.

If rumors are true and the gnex will get an upgrade(not just sprint version) the nexus philosophy is changing.

That's just show how underspec the gnex is in the first place. What happen to the once a year thing?
I guess the gnex is going mainstream ...

Bboy AJ

Clean wiped and put on M3 with Franco. Feels good, man.

For the future, how do you guys clean install? I do it via wiping completely, installing, then reinstalling everything through the OS. It's a pain but at least I know everything is done properly.

Is it possible to back up your data, wipe, put on the new ROM, then restore data through nandroid? How about Titanium Backup? Does that cause things to run like crap when restoring?

leadbelly

Banned
Meh, I don't care. When I was younger and thought specs made a difference, I would have. Right now, though, I don't care. My GN won't stop working once that one is released.

But I will try to swing the GSM version of the new model this summer when I move to europe :)

Yeah. It just sounds good on paper. The truth is, you hardly ever make full use of it in real world usage.

iavi

For the future, how do you guys clean install? I do it via wiping completely, installing, then reinstalling everything through the OS. It's a pain but at least I know everything is done properly.

Is it possible to back up your data, wipe, put on the new ROM, then restore data through nandroid? How about Titanium Backup? Does that cause things to run like crap when restoring?

I wipe the dalvik/cache/data a few times just to be safe. As for apps, Titanium has always made my phones run like shit after re-installing them, so I just do the re-installs using the market. It's time consuming, but cleaner.

reKon

Banned
anyone trying that franco #15? I want to get an idea of how battery life is before going M3 + Franco #15. 13.1 has been pretty solid for the most part.

Bboy AJ

anyone trying that franco #15? I want to get an idea of how battery life is before going M3 + Franco #15. 13.1 has been pretty solid for the most part.

M3 + Franco 15 has been out for less than a day. I'm using it and it seems good so far but no one can say anything definitive just yet.

kinggroin

Banned

It works fantastically with M3. His new turtle governor in particular is a fantastic battery saver.

However, if you're seeing great results with your current setup, then stick with it unless you're bored. If you reeeaaally want to switch, do a Nandroid first.

Haha, there's always rumors about the Nexus products getting a quick "bump" right after it releases. They always end up being radio changes.

Thats good to hear...cause I'm crazy and would want the better spec version.

When I recommend people to wait for a better spec phone with ICS, people was bashing me saying its not about specs and that a Nexus phone is only once a year thing......

This is what I do when I try new roms.
1. Titanium backup,"Back up all apps"
2. SMS Backup & Restore, back up my text.
3. Nandroid back up.

4. I wipe the data/cache/dalvik

5. Follow Rom instruction for rom install

6. After the new rom is install, sign in google account and that should automatically install apps from market place. Let everything install before doing Titanium.

7. Install all missing up with titanium back up. Use "Restore missing apps with data" this will install app that you didn't install from market place like amazon & get getjar.

8. Try out the rom and If I don't like it ...I will restore previous rom with nandroid.

Never had issues trying out new roms. Everything goes smooth. I think I've tried every single rom/kernal/radio on the tuna...

M3 + franco 15 is awesome! battery is good so far, goes to deep sleep when it should. M2+ franco 15 got me like 20 hours with 2 1/2 screen time...thats fantastic.

Update: Got 11 hours with 3 hour screen time mostly surfing the net/youtube on wifi and moderate calls and text. 30 percent left on battery with francoTurle....very nice, could never done that with the Iphone 4s. This phone is awesome!!

Bboy AJ

Here's my M3 + Franco 15:

4Unju.png

Ns6pw.png

Screen on: 60 minutes
CPU total: 50 minutes
Keep awake: 120 minutes

Still meh. The low screen on time is not impressive.

Piano

Banned
Does auto brightness use more battery because it has to be constantly polling the light levels?

And Bboy ^^ was that with stock battery or extended? Either way something rogue is keeping your phone awake way too much, seems like.

Bboy AJ

Extended. What was keeping my phone awake was me playing a podcast.

reKon

Banned
Thats good to hear...cause I'm crazy and would want the better spec version.

When I recommend people to wait for a better spec phone with ICS, people was bashing me saying its not about specs and that a Nexus phone is only once a year thing......

This is what I do when I try new roms.
1. Titanium backup,"Back up all apps"
2. SMS Backup & Restore, back up my text.
3. Nandroid back up.

4. I wipe the data/cache/dalvik

5. Follow Rom instruction for rom install

6. After the new rom is install, sign in google account and that should automatically install apps from market place. Let everything install before doing Titanium.

7. Install all missing up with titanium back up. Use "Restore missing apps with data" this will install app that you didn't install from market place like amazon & get getjar.

8. Try out the rom and If I don't like it ...I will restore previous rom with nandroid.

Never had issues trying out new roms. Everything goes smooth. I think I've tried every single rom/kernal/radio on the tuna...

M3 + franco 15 is awesome! battery is good so far, goes to deep sleep when it should. M2+ franco 15 got me like 20 hours with 2 1/2 screen time...thats fantastic.

Update: Got 11 hours with 3 hour screen time mostly surfing the net/youtube on wifi and moderate calls and text. 30 percent left on battery with francoTurle....very nice, could never done that with the Iphone 4s. This phone is awesome!!

are you sure about the 4s part? I'm pretty sure that people get like 6± hours of screen time on that thing if I'm not mistaking. Didn't anantech show bench marks of it doing wifi for like 10+ hours?

are you sure about the 4s part? I'm pretty sure that people get like 6± hours of screen time on that thing if I'm not mistaking. Didn't anantech show bench marks of it doing wifi for like 10+ hours?

Yup, my real life experience with the 4s.....it was pretty bad, probably battery issues. My tuna was getting pretty horrible life in the beginning too though.

Can really compare maguro with the 4s...4s doesn't have LTE.

Menelaus

Banned
Here's my M3 + Franco 15:

4Unju.png

Ns6pw.png

Screen on: 60 minutes
CPU total: 50 minutes
Keep awake: 120 minutes

Still meh. The low screen on time is not impressive.

Laughable stats, buy an iphone.

CrVVv.png

kkxqz.png

Screen on: 62 minutes
CPU total: 144 minutes
Keep awake: 227 minutes

Stock 4.0.2 + extended battery

reKon

Banned
Holy shit this combo actually feels faster and the customization is nearly perfect. I love this phone, it's extremely capable. If the battery life is great I'm not moving away from this from at all...

Edit: why is Wi-Fi so much faster now? What is this black magic? I just hope that I see no more little bugs around cause this phone is amazing right now. All we needed was a great camera as the final addition =(

thespot84

Laughable stats, buy an iphone.

CrVVv.png

kkxqz.png

Screen on: 62 minutes
CPU total: 144 minutes
Keep awake: 227 minutes

Stock 4.0.2 + extended battery

Similar experience:

Screen: 86 minutes
CPU: 43m
Awake: 165m

The fall in the last 20 minutes was gchat video conferencing...never used it before but damn does it drain the battery.

EDIT: Also stock 4.0.2 extended battery. LTE on the whole time

Holy shit this combo actually feels faster and the customization is nearly perfect. I love this phone, it's extremely capable. If the battery life is great I'm not moving away from this from at all...

Edit: why is Wi-Fi so much faster now? What is this black magic? I just hope that I see no more little bugs around cause this phone is amazing right now. All we needed was a great camera as the final addition =(

Yeah M3 + franco 15.1 is a sweet combo with alot of options. The gnex is getting better and better.

I learned to deal with the horrible camera by using different camera apps.
I like camera zoom FX for the options and shutter button.

Bboy AJ

I don't get how you guys get better battery life :(

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Maybe could be your cell signal. Doesn't really ever hit green so if the radio is constantly trying to keep a good connection it can make the battery deplete faster. Although I don't think that would explain it completely.

Menelaus

Banned
I don't get how you guys get better battery life :(

Turn your brightness down
Turn off Google's location service
Turn off Location & Google search
Don't install the Facebook app
Don't initialize the G+ app
Don't use apps that poll the network frequently
Keep your wifi on if you're around a network you have access to

SimleuqiR

Turn your brightness down
Turn off Google's location service
Turn off Location & Google search

Don't install the Facebook app
Don't initialize the G+ app
Don't use apps that poll the network frequently
Keep your wifi on if you're around a network you have access to

Fuck! Might as well leave your phone at home. >_>

I get a good 20+ hours of battery life for my daily use. Usually 18 hours on battery with about 20% left before I plug it in at night to go to bed.

I do agree that the FB app is just an insane battery drainer, more so than the G+ app. The G+ app doesn't eat up battery unless you are using it.

Screenshot_2012-01-21-01-04-24.png

Top Bottom