• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Circle T

hmm can't get either method to work, am I doing something wrong? Stock LTE Tuna, not rooted or unlocked.

Not sure. It took me a couple tries, but I finally got it. After attempting to, unsuccessfully, install it from the "Web", that is when I hit back, and then chose the "Market" to open the link. It then popped up the Market app on the phone, and it no longer said "Unavailable on your carrier", and had the usual "Download and Install" option.

Only thing I can suggest is to do it exactly as listed, and give it a couple tries. It ended up working for me. Now I just need to find somewhere to attempt to use it.....

Not sure. It took me a couple tries, but I finally got it. After attempting to, unsuccessfully, install it from the "Web", that is when I hit back, and then chose the "Market" to open the link. It then popped up the Market app on the phone, and it no longer said "Unavailable on your carrier", and had the usual "Download and Install" option.

Only thing I can suggest is to do it exactly as listed, and give it a couple tries. It ended up working for me. Now I just need to find somewhere to attempt to use it.....

Cleared my cache for browser and market, did the long version step by step again and it worked!

So I know these questions have been bludgeoned to death but humor me. I've got a CDMA Nexus.

What's the difference between AOKP and Gummy? Which one's better?

What's the best set up for an improvement in both performance and battery life? Some undervolted kernel? Franco? The one included with Gummy?

THANX.

I tried Gummy and its many iteration and I always go back to AOKP.

I seem to get force closure on my units with gummy that I never get with AOKP.

the general consent is AOKP milestones 3 + latest Franco is the best rom+kernal combo and so far from experience, its true.

reKon

Banned
lol... running aokp 3 + franco 15.1 I went to bed with 35% left and woke up to 34%, wtf... that was around 7-8 hours...

I'm betting that this isn't exactly the most accurate, but I'll be able to tell by tomorrow since I'll leave the phone on again overnight.

In my first run, I got 29 hours out of the phone with what I would call moderate usage.

The screen was on for 2 hours and 10 mins. I listened to music for around 2 hours and 30 mins, was 3G only w/ wifi, autobrightness on. Lastly, for the first time ever, I've actually seen Android OS % actually LOW. It has been sitting at 12% for today and yesterday.

Today, since I was exhausted and just decided to actually chill for once after classes, I was pretty much using the phone for hours straight for the first time since getting it... Out of that, I played a few addicting games for a couple of hours and was browsing the web. The battery was at 5% after 4 hours of screen time total. Some day I'm doing to try to run videos and see what I can pull out of this (probably not much compared to the Galaxy S II/iPhone 4).

Additionally, I have facebook messenger on all the time, I usually have a bad signal at the apartment, only sync g-mail, turn off all gps and location services, and always use auto brightness, which is definitely bright enough for me.

I wonder if I will ever top what I got from one of the gummy roms: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34165030&postcount=7335

Oozer3993

I got the second, longer way to install Wallet from the Market from that Droid-Life article to work. Not available from my carrier, yet downloading.

l6Kqw.png

iavi

I've had this phone for a few days now, and want to chime in; I fucking love this thing. Coming from an EVO4G, I was one of those dude's that felt as if phone's specs didn't matter, or that it made no palpable difference to the user that didn't play games. Fuck was I wrong. The latest ICS alpha on the EVO was fast enough~ and brought all the benefits of ICS to the kit, but I wasn't getting the real deal at all. ICS doesn't really open up until you realize not just how fucking fast it is on beefier hardware, but, perceptibly, how much more intuitive. I fly between everything with a breeze: Contacts, browser, phone, Sonic CD, youtube, doesn't matter. And I mean FLY. It brings an interview with Duarte to mind where he mentioned that the waiting in between long presses and general hiccups not just added up to a slight end-effect, but decreased the UX DRAMATICALLY. Praise that magnificent bastard. I fucking believe it.

The phone is actually a tad bit bigger than the EVO, but feels much better in the hand, and dat. screen; I can see the 'paper-grain' effect at low-brightness, but I have no issues with tinting, and the one issue I have basically fades away at even an inch past half-brightness. And after comparing it to a bro's retina display, I much prefer the Nexus'. It's not as clear, but the clarity isn't at all far behind, the colors/black levels of the oled blow it out of the water, and the actual size is too good to pass up. I was already used to capacitive buttons, so the fewer but more effective software buttons, are not just tolerated, but appreciated.

Radio reception (Lte/3g/wifi) has been much better than my EVO's, and call quality has been great as well. I do have an issue with the speakerphone though, as it seems most do. It's horrible. It's much too low, and at it's highest setting it still sounds like its broadcasting from a tin can. Employees of both Google and Samsung should be delve in the shame of this shit every time they use the can. I can barely hear my ringer at its highest volume setting without making a ringer with already amped volume levels. Which, in turn, makes it sound not just tinny, but like it's coming from my trash disposal. Horrible, but the battery life hasn't been, at all. Getting up at around 6:30am, and with heavy usage (constant txting, gaf, twitter, primary mp3 player/Gmusic) I've been just making it to bed 10~12pm before the exclamation mark practically demands that I plug it in. I'm satisfied with it.

And aside from that garbage-tier speaker phone, incredibly satisfied with the phone in general. And that's me on a stock rom (4.02)/kernel. I've yet to root.

reKon

Banned
I've had this phone for a few days now, and want to chime in; I fucking love this thing. Coming from an EVO4G, I was one of those dude's that felt as if phone's specs didn't matter, or that it made no palpable difference to the user that didn't play games. Fuck was I wrong. The latest ICS alpha on the EVO was fast enough~ and brought all the benefits of ICS to the kit, but I wasn't getting the real deal at all. ICS doesn't really open up until you realize not just how fucking fast it is on beefier hardware, but, perceptibly, how much more intuitive. I fly between everything with a breeze: Contacts, browser, phone, Sonic CD, youtube, doesn't matter. And I mean FLY. It brings an interview with Duarte to mind where he mentioned that the waiting in between long presses and general hiccups not just added up to a slight end-effect, but decreased the UX DRAMATICALLY. Praise that magnificent bastard. I fucking believe it.

The phone is actually a tad bit bigger than the EVO, but feels much better in the hand, and dat. screen; I can see the 'paper-grain' effect at low-brightness, but I have no issues with tinting, and the one issue I have basically fades away at even an inch past half-brightness. And after comparing it to a bro's retina display, I much prefer the Nexus'. It's not as clear, but the clarity isn't at all far behind, the colors/black levels of the oled blow it out of the water, and the actual size is too good to pass up. I was already used to capacitive buttons, so the fewer but more effective software buttons, are not just tolerated, but appreciated.

Radio reception (Lte/3g/wifi) has been much better than my EVO's, and call quality has been great as well. I do have an issue with the speakerphone though, as it seems most do. It's horrible. It's much too low, and at it's highest setting it still sounds like its broadcasting from a tin can. Employees of both Google and Samsung should be delve in the shame of this shit every time they use the can. I can barely hear my ringer at its highest volume setting without making a ringer with already amped volume levels. Which, in turn, makes it sound not just tinny, but like it's coming from my trash disposal. Horrible, but the battery life hasn't been, at all. Getting up at around 6:30am, and with heavy usage (constant txting, gaf, twitter, primary mp3 player/Gmusic) I've been just making it to bed 10~12pm before the exclamation mark practically demands that I plug it in. I'm satisfied with it.

And aside from that garbage-tier speaker phone, incredibly satisfied with the phone in general. And that's me on a stock rom (4.02)/kernel. I've yet to root.

Lol wait until you root this thing. You are merely scratching the surface.

iavi

Lol wait until you root this thing. You are merely scratching the surface.

I was actually going to wait till a solid build of CM9 hit, since my phone is all set up and I don't feel like playing the nandroid game atm, but your guy's recent posts here on the Franco/AOKP combo have been tempting as hell, I have to admit.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I was actually going to wait till a solid build of CM9 hit, since my phone is all set up and I don't feel like playing the nandroid game atm, but your guy's recent posts here on the Franco/AOKP combo have been tempting as hell, I have to admit.

There's no need to wait. Go for it.

Circle T

There's a PayPass app you can download too if you want to see spots on the go.

I'll have to get that. I just stopped at the store and tried it. Worked exactly as advertised. Clicked the lock button, swiped it on the card reader, ding, completed. Pretty amazing.

Circle T

Um, what???

Droid-Life said:
Google No Longer Supports the LTE/CDMA Verizon Galaxy Nexus?

Wow, so I’m not really sure where to start with this potentially horrific news. Thanks to a reader, we have now realized that the LTE/CDMA version of the Galaxy Nexus that thousands of you purchased, may no longer be considered a developer device by Google. You will notice in the screenshot above that the device “toro” – which was the codename for the device – has been removed from the list of supported devices. There is also a note above that which reads “No CDMA devices are supported.” So yeah, I’m not sure they could have made it any clearer.

But to make matters worse, we dug a little deeper into a cached page from January 28 that clearly shows “toro” as still being a part of their plans. It also included special CDMA radio instructions for developers which have now been removed. Picture below.

{pic}

And just in case you needed even more proof, here is the factory image site which says that the LTE Nexus builds are there for “reference only”:

{pic}

Why would this happen? Only the Android team, Google and Verizon know for sure.

Could it have anything to do with the Google Wallet situation? We know that the app was updated and made available to basically all Nexus devices within the last couple of days, but not the Verizon version. Maybe there was a breakdown in negotiations which took the phone out of their “Nexus” title requirements. Seems doubtful. Then what could it be?

I think one thing we all want to know is how this impacts updates in the future. One of the main reasons we purchased this phone was to be at the front of the line when it came to new OS deliveries. Will this impact that?

Hopefully we will have some answers soon.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/0...ons-lte-galaxy-nexus-to-be-a-developer-phone/

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Two buffoon companies couldn't make it work. What a surprise.

Circle T

I'm going to wait until the entirety of the story is learned, but I will say, this does NOT instill me with any confidence in the "Nexus" brand.

rozay

Banned
That's pretty terrible, but I honestly could care less if it means they'll be selling GSM nexus phones stateside sooner :T

kinggroin

Banned
I don't give a shit who why or what the reason is for the contention. If this turns out to be true, and has any negative impact on my phone's support or eligibility for future OS updates, I'm going apple next go round

SimleuqiR

Hope this is not the case! My brother just got it from Verizon.

That said, if this is true paying a bit extra to get the Euro GSM model was probably the right choice in hindsight.

I don't give a shit who why or what the reason is for the contention. If this turns out to be true, and has any negative impact

Either way, the "Nexus" brand will be tarnished. I don't know why Google, after all their bending over for Verizon and Samsung, wouldn't support the device. Might as well right the "Sold out" wave at this point.

kehs

Banned
Hope this is not the case! My brother just got it from Verizon.

That said, if this is true paying a bit extra to get the Euro GSM model was probably the right choice in hindsight.

Either way, the "Nexus" brand will be tarnished. I don't know why Google, after all their bending over for Verizon and Samsung, wouldn't support the device. Might as well right the "Sold out" wave at this point.

When the dust settles this will probably be about Verizon and the necessary files for the LTE radio/cdma radios.

rozay

Banned
Wait, if the NS4G was removed, this has nothing to do with Google Wallet.

The NS4G hasn't gotten its own official 4.0 OTA though, so who knows. Wonder what this means for their GN as well lol

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hello! This is a quick clarification about support for CDMA devices.

For various technical reasons, recent CDMA Android devices implement core telephony functionality in .apk files provided in binary form by the carriers. To function correctly, these .apk files must be signed by the so-called "platform" key. However, when an individual creates a custom build from the AOSP source code, they don't use the same signing key as these CDMA flies were signed with.

The result is that these files don't work properly, and pure AOSP builds running on these devices can't place calls, access mobile data, and so on. Because we aim to make sure that we are as clear as possible about the degree of support that devices have, we updated the docs over at source.android.com to reflect this reality.

We will still make available as many as possible of the closed-source binaries for these devices, and Nexus devices will continue to have unlockable bootloaders. And, of course, GSM/HSPA+ devices are still supported, as are any other devices we're able to support. We've simply updated the documentation to be clearer about the current extent of CDMA support.

We are of course always working to improve support, and we'll keep everyone updated as we make improvements. Thanks as always for your interest in AOSP!

- Dan

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/android-contrib/phz3S5ZdveU

Husker86

So, no support confirmed? That first sentence is a mindfuck.

Err third sentence lol

It just means you can't take AOSP straight from them and install it yourself. I'm not worried about official update frequency at this point. I rely on rootzwiki devs anyway so I have a feeling I won't notice much, those devs might have more work though.

Top Bottom