• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

gcubed

it just reinforces the fact that vzw has final say on code from google. As long as its released in the same timeframe as the gsm all should be fine

rozay

Banned
There was no problems with data/calling/reception when building an AOSP rom for the verizon version. Sounds like Google is just taking it in the ass as usual, and its not going to affect most people but it sucks that you can't just build and tweak your own roms. Non-SIM free nexuses are doomed to always be compromised I guess.

Gcubed, judging by the NS4G's update still being MIA in February I don't think that'll be the case :(

How do I turn off the Maps app? I turned off all location services in settings but Maps continues to run even when I try to stop it in Apps Settings.

gcubed

There was no problems with data/calling/reception when building an AOSP rom for the verizon version. Sounds like Google is just taking it in the ass as usual, and its not going to affect most people but it sucks that you can't just build and tweak your own roms. Non-SIM free nexuses are doomed to always be compromised I guess.

Gcubed, judging by the NS4G's update still being MIA in February I don't think that'll be the case :(

Att nexus s hasnt seen an update either

kehs

Banned
I just had an improptu emcee battle session via hangouts. The commercials are true.

P.S. You can crash G+ by pressing the arrow on the top right.

Fox318

pitchfork lowered. Still fuck cdma.

I'm still angry about the lack of pronged docks!
LLShC.gif

Circle T

3phemeral

Is the extended battery worth it? Also worry about adding bulk and feel of the phone.

The original phone felt waaay too light for me. I was afraid to carry it around without a case because I thought it would slip out of my fingers too easily. Having the extended battery is what I was expecting the weight to be when I first got the phone, so I preferred it.

Circle T

they skipped 3?

4.0.3 was available for the GSM version, but never made it to the LTE version.

After reading more about he changes, I'm going to wait. Nothing so far that I'm in dire need of. I'll just wait until it is fully sorted, and easily flashable and doesn't get rid of root, etc.

Hey everyone I got a quick question. I take most of my pics on my Galaxy Nexus. Whats the easiest way to get those pictures so I can post in a thread?

Transferring pics to my pc through usb and then using imgur is a pain in the ass.

Thanks for any help.

kehs

Banned
Hey everyone I got a quick question. I take most of my pics on my Galaxy Nexus. Whats the easiest way to get those pictures so I can post in a thread?

Transferring pics to my pc through usb and then using imgur is a pain in the ass.

Thanks for any help.

I upload stuff to dropbox public folder and grab a link from the app itself.

Okay, I successfully installed 4.0.4 and restored my root. The method used to root 4.0.2 works with 4.0.4, just do the exact same thing again. This is a real OTA update but it hasn't been pushed to anybody other than testers right now apparently. It's not supposed to roll out until late February according to sources inside Verizon.

If you don't give a fuck about when you're supposed to get it, here you go:
http://www.mediafire.com/?l1wxw3exb9195w7

Who knows long this will last until it's pulled. Grab it while it's hot. Yes, this has been verified to be authentic, you can't fake official signing keys and this file installs on a stock, unrooted 4.0.2 after passing authentication.

To bring back root after you flash this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1392336

Unofficial changelog (lol):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1481044

Piano

Banned
Wait so if I flash the update it'll erase my root? How do I reroot? Do I have to go back through the whole process of unlocking/flashing CWM/flashing a rooted rom and reinstalling everything again?

n'eh, maybe I'll just wait until the update is incorporated into AOKP and make the jump.

I flashed that Google Wallet .zip a while back (before the modified apk was available), and it seems to be keeping me from updating to 4.0.4. Does anyone know how I can revert?

Menelaus

Banned
I can confirm that the deep sleep issue is now resolved with 4.0.4!!

Left the phone unplugged last night, and it only lost 2% over 7 hours. Android OS usage is also down to 18% and dropping.

I'll post some battery stats on Tuesday once I have some normal usage going on.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, I've decided that my next Android phone will be a "Google phone". The promise of a clean Android experience, with early updates and whatnot, is tempting enough that I'm willing to look past the fact that the Nexus is more expensive and less powerful than the SGS2.

My question is: Should I get the Nexus now, or should I wait for MWC and see if there's word about a new one? It's far too early for that, right?

Thanks for any help.

You have Google Plus? Then why don't you just install the G+ app (if it's not already on the phone) and activate instant upload? Then all the pics and videos (if you so choose) you take with the phone (using the regular camera app - you don't have to actually use the G+ app) will automatically be uploaded to a private album on G+ with zero extra effort on your part. You just snap photos as usual, and they get uploaded in the background. Can't think of anything more convenient. And yes, you can direct link to them.

The downside is that you won't get them in their full 5MP resolution (they'll get downsized to 2048 pixels on their longest edge) - but really, when do you really ever need to post full-res photos online?

thespot84

So, I've decided that my next Android phone will be a "Google phone". The promise of a clean Android experience, with early updates and whatnot, is tempting enough that I'm willing to look past the fact that the Nexus is more expensive and less powerful than the SGS2.

My question is: Should I get the Nexus now, or should I wait for MWC and see if there's word about a new one? It's far too early for that, right?

You have Google Plus? Then why don't you just install the G+ app (if it's not already on the phone) and activate instant upload? Then all the pics and videos (if you so choose) you take with the phone (using the regular camera app - you don't have to actually use the G+ app) will automatically be uploaded to a private album on G+ with zero extra effort on your part. You just snap photos as usual, and they get uploaded in the background. Can't think of anything more convenient. And yes, you can direct link to them.

The downside is that you won't get them in their full 5MP resolution (they'll get downsized to 2048 pixels on their longest edge) - but really, when do you really ever need to post full-res photos online?

The use case problem with g+ and photo sharing is this:

Take the picture.
They're instantly uploaded to google plus.
go to google plus
find the picture
click download
find the file
reupload to your image hosting site
link in a thread reply.

You cannot link directly to a google+ pick so there's extra steps to get it out there. Dropbox now has automatic upload of picks. I'm not sure if imgur does but I think min.us does (haven't tested) and it's directly to an image host, so it saves time.

Circle T

The use case problem with g+ and photo sharing is this:

Take the picture.
They're instantly uploaded to google plus.
go to google plus
find the picture
click download
find the file
reupload to your image hosting site
link in a thread reply.

You cannot link directly to a google+ pick so there's extra steps to get it out there. Dropbox now has automatic upload of picks. I'm not sure if imgur does but I think min.us does (haven't tested) and it's directly to an image host, so it saves time.

Google+ Instant Upload....

Take pic
Instant Upload
Go to Picasa
Locate pic
Link to pic
???
Profit

As demonstrated here...

IMG_20120205_122840.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You cannot link directly to a google+ pick so there's extra steps to get it out there.

False. Here's a direct link to an image in my Google+ instant upload album:

IMG_20110925_001204.jpg

(Yes, that's a cat in a drawer.)

It's no harder than right-clicking the image (once you have it opened up in the photo viewer), copying the address, and optionally tweaking the "s800" part to set the width the image should display at ("s0" gives you the full resolution).

(And yes, this means that anyone could theoretically view any of your private photos. But to do that they'd have to know the URL, most of which is generated by some unknown algorithm and is completely different for every photo you upload. So I'd say the chances of someone correctly guessing the URL to one of your images are pretty slim.)

Google+ Instant Upload....

Take pic
Instant Upload
Go to Picasa

As outlined above, you don't need to take the detour to Picasa, you can do it right from G+.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
True, but in essence it's all the same. The photos are uploaded in the background, and you can easily link to them, from whichever site you choose.

Yep.

And yeah, I'm sure there are other apps which can do just about the same thing, but why bother when G+ (which is pretty tightly integrated with ICS, isn't it?) does it so well?

Circle T

Yep.

And yeah, I'm sure there are other apps which can do just about the same thing, but why bother when G+ (which is pretty tightly integrated with ICS, isn't it?) does it so well?

Very true. I was more speaking about linking to the images from a web browser. Whether you use Picasa or G+, they are the same images, with the same links, so it's all the same. Whichever suits your preference.

Top Bottom