• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
So looking at this thread...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1481613

Which one of these do I want to flash in order to maintain root and hopefully not have to wipe data / factory reset? Coming from stock rooted 4.0.2

Rooted,De-odexed,Zip-aligned ROM With Stock Insecure Boot Image And New Radios & Bootloader?

If you are truly on stock rooted 4.0.2, you can flash the regular file I linked on the last page and just do the same thing you did to 4.0.2 to regain your root.

You only need a de-odexed ROM if you are planning on replacing things like UI icons, boot animations, and other things you can't normally change. Since this is an official ROM, you don't need to lock or unlock your bootloader to flash it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, about all those screen problems I'm hearing about (pink/yellow whites, weird lines/banding across the screen, uneven brightness across the screen, etc) - are they still an issue, or are only phones from early batches affected? Some of the examples I've seen make the GN screen look absolutely terrible.

Menelaus

Banned
So, about all those screen problems I'm hearing about (pink/yellow whites, weird lines/banding across the screen, uneven brightness across the screen, etc) - are they still an issue, or are only phones from early batches affected? Some of the examples I've seen make the GN screen look absolutely terrible.

I have a day 1 device and haven't seen anything like that. Sounds like a factory defect, which should be easily returnable.

Cudder

The colour issues shouldn't be there, but the banding/quilt effect is due to the pentile amoled display.

I have a day 1 device and haven't seen anything like that. Sounds like a factory defect, which should be easily returnable.

What brightness setting are you on?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yeah, but loads and loads of people seem to have been suffering from this. So what I want to know is if they were simply unlucky and got phones from a bad batch.

The colour issues shouldn't be there, but the banding/quilt effect is due to the pentile amoled display.

What about stuff like this?

G0ZwG.jpg

That should look like this, but instead it looks absolutely terrible. I wouldn't accept something like that on a high-end phone.

Menelaus

Banned
AMOLED isn't great for displaying greys, this isn't breaking news or anything.

Also, that off-cam pic is over exposed, which just makes it look worse than it really is.

TxdoHawk

Well, I was hoping for better battery life on 4.0.4...no such luck it seems. My usage is heavy, though...constantly looking at my phone at work, since I have a lot of points in the day where I am waiting for a machine to reboot, or a progress bar to advance, etc.

Makes me wish Samsung made a bigger extended. The current LTE extended barely needs a bigger back, I would've gladly taken more of a bump in the back for more juice. Guess I will have to see if custom ROMs help me eke out more battery life, once they roll in 4.0.4 improvements.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
AMOLED isn't great for displaying greys, this isn't breaking news or anything.

Also, that off-cam pic is over exposed, which just makes it look worse than it really is.

Sure, I'm well aware of the patterns and stuff the pentile display causes, but shouldn't the brightness at least be somewhat consistent across the screen? I've seen so many examples of that not being the case, where the screen looks "blotchy" and uneven. I'd expect that on a backlit screen, but not an AMOLED screen. Also, stuff like a green tint across the top of the screen, etc.

And what about this (Nexus to the left, SGS1 to the right)?

ktf6C.jpg

Looks horrible. But this problem has been taken care of in later batches...?

There just seem to be so many problems with this phone's display, and I want to know whether or not they (except for the unavoidable drawbacks of a pentile display) have been sorted out before I get one.

Menelaus

Banned
After re-rooting 4.0.4, my idle battery isn't as impressive. I was getting ~1% drain an hour before, and I've drained 14% this morning with 3 minutes and 34 seconds of screen on time.

TxdoHawk

There just seem to be so many problems with this phone's display, and I want to know whether or not they (except for the unavoidable drawbacks of a pentile display) have been sorted out before I get one.

I would go look at the phone in-person. These camera shots, as others have hinted, really aren't a good representation of what you will actually see.

Maxrunner

Jesus 4.0.5.??? what the hell im still on 4.0.2. gsm euro here....i wonder if we will get the 4.0.3. at all...going by latest news that probably wont happen....

rozay

Banned
Sure, I'm well aware of the patterns and stuff the pentile display causes, but shouldn't the brightness at least be somewhat consistent across the screen? I've seen so many examples of that not being the case, where the screen looks "blotchy" and uneven. I'd expect that on a backlit screen, but not an AMOLED screen. Also, stuff like a green tint across the top of the screen, etc.

And what about this (Nexus to the left, SGS1 to the right)?

ktf6C.jpg

Looks horrible. But this problem has been taken care of in later batches...?

You're going to have these issues on any current device with an AMOLED screen, be it super or not. If you read the GS2 board when the phone first came out (and I'm sure they're still making units with the same screen issues) color tints are off, half of the screen is yellow compared to the other half, the patterns are there and brightness is off.

I feel that all GN screens exhibit the problems in one way or another because they're issues with the technology, but some are less than others.

BTW in the last picture you posted, it's a little unfair because galaxy S phones were sold with incredibly blue tints. Either way, supercurio has a device and if he ends up releasing Voodoo Colour for the phone, it'll help a lot with the tints people have.

Maxrunner

No, I'm in Canada and got it from Rogers. Under what circumstances does a Nexus come locked to a carrier?

with vodafone that is. And here in POrtugal all Vodafone NEXUS are locked, but that doesnt prevent you to install the yakju build and get the updates as a non locked one...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You're going to have these issues on any current device with an AMOLED screen, be it super or not. If you read the GS2 board when the phone first came out (and I'm sure they're still making units with the same screen issues) color tints are off, half of the screen is yellow compared to the other half, the patterns are there and brightness is off.

I feel that all GN screens exhibit the problems in one way or another because they're issues with the technology, but some are less than others.

BTW in the last picture you posted, it's a little unfair because galaxy S phones were sold with incredibly blue tints. Either way, supercurio has a device and if he ends up releasing Voodoo Colour for the phone, it'll help a lot with the tints people have.

Well, alright then. Do you (this goes for everyone who has a GN) feel that these issues are actually issues when using the phone, or do they not worsen the experience in any real way?

Menelaus

Banned
you'll find that 99% of people in this thread don't think their phone has these issues, or if it did, they already returned it for one that didn't.

thespot84

Well, alright then. Do you (this goes for everyone who has a GN) feel that these issues are actually issues when using the phone, or do they not worsen the experience in any real way?

my screen functions perfectly. I haven't taken the time to compare to anything other than my original droid because frankly it has no effect on usability. It's like when people compare densities and contrast ratios and colors of LCD tv's when there's all on the wall in the store, and when you get one at home you wouldn't/couldn't know the difference without having them side by side.

Go look at the phone in person.

rozay

Banned
I don't own a GN (yet) but my current N1 suffers from the issue where at low brightness, greys turn purple. This is caused by the green subpixels on pentile displays not working properly at low brightnesses I believe. I don't consider it an issue when using the phone and a minor annoyance at best, but I will do everything in my power to get a GN that doesn't have this problem when I purchase one.

It's unfortunate that finding a good phone is basically a lottery, but the good screens are some of the best screens I've ever seen on a handheld device.

Mordeccai

I've noticed my screens tend to look more washed out than the screen actually looks. My brights are incredible. The only issue I've had with my phone is when watching 720p video like Game of Thrones the blacks appear pixelated. Its really quite irritating. No complaints outside of that though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
my screen functions perfectly. I haven't taken the time to compare to anything other than my original droid because frankly it has no effect on usability. It's like when people compare densities and contrast ratios and colors of LCD tv's when there's all on the wall in the store, and when you get one at home you wouldn't/couldn't know the difference without having them side by side.

Go look at the phone in person.

Seeing as how these issues seem to vary quite a lot from phone to phone, looking at a display model (which I have already done) won't really help. The one I end up getting could have issues not present on the display model, and vice versa.

Menelaus

Banned
So you return it until you get a unit that makes you happy. In the PC monitor world this is known as panel lottery and while it's a little annoying, it's not rocket surgery.

99nikniht

Hey guys, I'm wading through the thread and it's quite f'ing big so I'll just ask the question directly.

I'm on the fence of picking up a phone, and I'm stuck between a Galaxy nexus, Razr Maxx or just waiting out for the droid 4 to hit the market to decide.

Of course every phone has it's perks i.e. nexus has great resolution and a big screen and of course the ICS.

Maxx is the battery, but this also leads to another problem in where swapping out batteries isn't a possibility.

Droid 4 has the qwerty keyboard, and it's a global phone while just about everything is the same as the razr.

I just want to hear opinions on the reception of the phone as I've read a lot of complaints about the reception specifically. Just wanted to hear from everyone what their experience is with that. Also, some pro and cons between the phones would also help a lot in helping me decide what to ultimately get.

As for my personal criteria, I don't mind a smaller screen. A slideout keyboard would be nice but not necessary. Having a global phone can be awesome, but I don't exactly plan on doing a lot of traveling in the next year or two (just spent a year in korea and south east asia) but who knows. Don't really care about the camera, but battery life is of course very important. I'm fairly tech savvy to figure out how to root (this would be my first android phone) so that's not a concern.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I'm wading through the thread and it's quite f'ing big so I'll just ask the question directly.

I'm on the fence of picking up a phone, and I'm stuck between a Galaxy nexus, Razr Maxx or just waiting out for the droid 4 to hit the market to decide.

Of course every phone has it's perks i.e. nexus has great resolution and a big screen and of course the ICS.

Maxx is the battery, but this also leads to another problem in where swapping out batteries isn't a possibility.

Droid 4 has the qwerty keyboard, and it's a global phone while just about everything is the same as the razr.

I just want to hear opinions on the reception of the phone as I've read a lot of complaints about the reception specifically. Just wanted to hear from everyone what their experience is with that. Also, some pro and cons between the phones would also help a lot in helping me decide what to ultimately get.

As for my personal criteria, I don't mind a smaller screen. A slideout keyboard would be nice but not necessary. Having a global phone can be awesome, but I don't exactly plan on doing a lot of traveling in the next year or two (just spent a year in korea and south east asia) but who knows. Don't really care about the camera, but battery life is of course very important. I'm fairly tech savvy to figure out how to root (this would be my first android phone) so that's not a concern.

Thanks in advance.

In terms of battery, I have not had my phone die on me for the 12 hours that I am out every day.

Mind you, this is normal day-to-day usage, not "new phone" usage. I average about 1 hour of screen time and I arrive home at about 30-40%.

Of course, if you watch youtube videos regularily, then it may be a different story. But as a personal experience, texting, short calls, and a few mins of GAF between/during lectures (plus videos that people link to in threads), are okay for the nexus.

BTW this is GSM nexus with regular battery on stock.

reKon

Banned
I think I found a bug. I don't know if this is just an AOKP Milestone 3 thing, but I'm having issues with the alarm clock. I'm pretty sure that I was able to use voice commands to set the alarm clock and it would work with a past version of AOKP. Now when I use voice commands to set the alarm, it still shows at the bottom of the screen the time when the alarm will go off, but then once the time hits, it never goes off. I don't see the alarm clock icon appearing on the status bar with when I do this either...

I have to manually go to the clock and set the alarm to the time I want for the alarm to actually go off. When I do it this way, I see the alarm icon appear on the top status bar AND the alarm does go off at the time I set it to. With voice command not actually setting the alarm, this is obviously defeating purpose of being able to use voice commands to perform an easy action. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be? Or can someone try to replicate this who is using my ROM?

Thanks.

The kernal I'm running is Franco 15.2.

99nikniht

In terms of battery, I have not had my phone die on me for the 12 hours that I am out every day.

Mind you, this is normal day-to-day usage, not "new phone" usage. I average about 1 hour of screen time and I arrive home at about 30-40%.

Of course, if you watch youtube videos regularily, then it may be a different story. But as a personal experience, texting, short calls, and a few mins of GAF between/during lectures (plus videos that people link to in threads), are okay for the nexus.

BTW this is GSM nexus with regular battery on stock.

Is there any difference from the GSM model compared to the 4g ones (in terms of battery and cpu usage)? As I understand the reason why the Verizon one has a bad battery life is mainly due to the 4g.

gcubed

why is the ICS people app so ... off? I mean, it just doesnt really fit in at all with the rest of the OS.

Anyway, my company is making huge investments into Verizon, and with my wife washing her phone (i tried to revive it, took it apart, scrubbed it up, etc, still dead) i was thinking of being such an awesome husband and giving her my GSM Nexus and getting a Verizon version. I'm such a fickle bitch though

Top Bottom