• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

mingus

So I was wondering what is the best SMS replacement? I like the stock messaging app, but I'd like to have an enter key instead of the smileys key. Also, I know I could download new keyboards if I want.

You know that arrow/triangle thing is the "enter"?

6MKo7.png

Wow battery life with 4.0.4 on my GSM tuna is amazing! Stock kernal too!

Signal improved too!

12 hours with 2 hour screen on and I still have 45 percent left.

I'm not missing aopk m3 + Franco 16.2 at all.

Feep

Banned
Just updated to 4.0.4. The number of quality changes has dulled my anger at my weird cross-hatched screen. (sigh)

I'm pissed at how different my friends screen is from mine, colour wise. At medium to low brightness, my colours are way more dim/loss of detail. Someone brought it up before but greys are like purple on mine. Why the hell did you have to mention it :p.

Pyrokai

For your first concern, you could always post a listing first. When potential buyers contact you, let them know what your situation is and that you'll complete the transaction as soon as you move your number to your new phone.

As for transferring numbers, I'm not on Verizon but ircc my friend who does this every so often says that it's pretty much that, to disable your old phone and to activate the new phone by calling up Verizon and giving them the serial numbers (IMSI numbers I believe). This shouldn't affect your contract either.

So I shouldn't send out the phone without getting my new one first, right? That way I can activate/deactivate and then send it out?

Also, what's with the screen issues on this phone? I see a lot of complaints in here. I didn't realize it was an issue.

reKon

Banned
Wow battery life with 4.0.4 on my GSM tuna is amazing! Stock kernal too!

Signal improved too!

12 hours with 2 hour screen on and I still have 45 percent left.

I'm not missing aopk m3 + Franco 16.2 at all.

It's really that better? All I want really is the better radio. I didn't think that battery life could actually match up. Perhaps I underestimated Google

JordanKZ

Speaking of the Franco kernel, I have no idea wtf my phone was doing today. Apparently it think the torch has been on the entire day, despite it not being on. So there's been a constant battery run down all day. It's at like 10% less than normal right now.

No idea if it was just a random bug in ICS or if 16.1 (or whatever the latest version is) has a bit of a bug in it.

Salaadin

Anyone have any insight into whats wrong here?

Im trying to unlock my bootloader using this guide:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/12/16/how-to-unlock-the-galaxy-nexus-bootloader-verizon/

Everything is as it should be until I get to the Step 8 where I have to type fastboot oem unlock. Doing so gives me the "waiting for device" message but my phone never changes screens and never asks me to hit "Yes". It just stay at the main screen with the red FASTBOOT MODE letters.

Menelaus

Banned
Anyone have any insight into whats wrong here?

Im trying to unlock my bootloader using this guide:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/12/16/how-to-unlock-the-galaxy-nexus-bootloader-verizon/

Everything is as it should be until I get to the Step 8 where I have to type fastboot oem unlock. Doing so gives me the "waiting for device" message but my phone never changes screens and never asks me to hit "Yes". It just stay at the main screen with the red FASTBOOT MODE letters.

Just use this instead. http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/forum/galaxy-nexus-hacking-mods-lte-cdma/1445-wugs-galaxy-nexus-root-toolkit.html

is everyone on Verizon using the leaked 4.0.4 update? I've been holding out for the official OTA, surprised it still hasn't come, so was thinking of just using the update.zip

Salaadin

Lol, should have asked here first. That was MUCH easier. Thanks a lot.

is everyone on Verizon using the leaked 4.0.4 update? I've been holding out for the official OTA, surprised it still hasn't come, so was thinking of just using the update.zip

Thats what Im in the process of doing right now.

Husker86

Has anybody tried that hidden backup feature? if not, what's the best and simplest sms backup procedure?

Hidden backup doesn't backup SMS just fyi, I have used it though. If you're not rooted use MyBackup from Market. Can use free version if restoring to same device.

Husker86

Thank you. I'm testing out SMS Backup + mentioned in the Apps for Android OP.

Looks good, doesn't restore MMS though. However I remember a quirk with MyBackup that put MMS as the last entry in a message thread when restored even if it was way back in the conversation. Haven't used it in a while though so that might be fixed.

I like how that other app makes a Gmail label though.

mingus

So I shouldn't send out the phone without getting my new one first, right? That way I can activate/deactivate and then send it out?

Also, what's with the screen issues on this phone? I see a lot of complaints in here. I didn't realize it was an issue.

Unless you have a backup phone to use between selling your iphone and buying the nexus, this would be the most logical decision. Screen issues as best as I can summarize are that it displays blacks flawlessly but whites aren't that great. People report greenish or pinkish tints on certain parts of their screens; I can see a slight green tint on the lower half of mine when I'm viewing a light background and I tilt the screen forward. I attribute this to the effect the curved glass has on it, but there might be other reasons.

beat

Thank you. I'm testing out SMS Backup + mentioned in the Apps for Android OP.

I used LifeSaver 2 to backup and restore text messages. (or actually, to transfer SMS history from my old phone to the new one.) I don't have any MMS messages, so I can't comment on how well LifeSaver 2 does on those.

Took a little bit of file manipulation with ES File Manager too, because the filesystem isn't fully exposed when hooking it up to a PC, but I vaguely understand you can find some apps that just back up your SMS to gmail instead of a local file.

It's really that better? All I want really is the better radio. I didn't think that battery life could actually match up. Perhaps I underestimated Google

The custom 4.0.4 for the GSM Tuna is the first rom I actually kept more than a day beside AOKP.

I don't think I'll be going back to AOKP anytime soon...its that good!

I did feel the reception is better with 4.0.4 than 4.0.3 and I've tried all the base band available.

One weird thing is that the stock kernel with 4.0.4 feels better than if I use the latest Franco.

Salaadin

I rooted and got 4.0.4 running today AND just noticed that 4G is available in my area now...which I wouldnt have seen if I didnt restore the defaut settings after rooting. Im pretty happy now.

Hmmm, I really want to get the update to see if my reception will improve. Want to point me in the direction of how to root for morons. Any downsides to rooting?

Is it the GSM or lte nexus you have? I think the lte you can update without root. If you do want to root visit xda forums and have a look under the galaxy nexus/android development sub forum. You'll find a guide to rooting thread in there. It isn't that difficult but it will appear daunting at first. There's bound to be YouTube tutorials too. In all honesty if you aren't that confident just wait. Custom roms, even the stable ones are more buggy than stock and there aren't many features worth rooting for these days unless you are a serious power user.

sullyj

Is it the GSM or lte nexus you have? I think the lte you can update without root. If you do want to root visit xda forums and have a look under the galaxy nexus/android development sub forum. You'll find a guide to rooting thread in there. It isn't that difficult but it will appear daunting at first. There's bound to be YouTube tutorials too. In all honesty if you aren't that confident just wait. Custom roms, even the stable ones are more buggy than stock and there aren't many features worth rooting for these days unless you are a serious power user.

Thanks, I was just wanting the stock 4.04. Is the 4.04 floating around basically the same thing verizon will push later this month? I have the LTE from Verizon.

Hmmm, I really want to get the update to see if my reception will improve. Want to point me in the direction of how to root for morons. Any downsides to rooting?

If you have GSM here go here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1392310

For LTE:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1400871

For me I don't really see the downside of rooting and, using custom rom and kernel.
With my experience some custom ROM it is more stable than stock plus performance and battery gain. It allowed me to try out all kind of baseband to see which radio works best in my area.
Thats the beauty of the android platform.

So, I'm still stuck on 4.0.1 and this talk about 4.0.4 being much better on the battery life has me thinking of finally upgrading. I hadn't bothered trying any of the custom roms as I was under the impression that they're not as stable as the stock roms yet, but I've got a GSM phone which 4.0.4 isn't officially out for yet from what I understand. It also looks like Google only provide an image for up to 4.0.2 for the GSM Nexus. So, what would you guys recommend? 4.0.2 that Google provide, build a copy of 4.0.3, use a custom 4.0.4 rom, or just wait for 4.0.5?

gcubed

so everything is working swimmingly on Verizon, I can't believe I didn't give up on ATT earlier. I'm selling my GSM Gnex (yakju, 4.0.2 stock) if anyone is interested

kehs

Banned
so everything is working swimmingly on Verizon, I can't believe I didn't give up on ATT earlier. I'm selling my GSM Gnex (yakju, 4.0.2 stock) if anyone is interested

Did you have to get your trousers altered to accomodate the increased thickness?

Forsete

I ordered the extended GSM battery from Sous Sorea.. Though I was not that bothered by the regular battery time, only once or twice has the battery gone down into the reds after a days use.

Still, peace of mind. :p

I want to try 4.0.4, but I'll be missing the pull down toggle and custom soft keys too much

? Can't you get those from Paul O'Briens custom 4.04 rom?? It's on XDA.

Much appreciated. My brother and I both got the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon last night coming off original A855 Droids...the difference is staggering. Amazing phone.

EDIT: Looks like that method does require a root, the guy making the article initially screwed up and changed his steps to indicate that a root is necessary.

Apologies, re-read it. Doesn't require root but does require the bootloader to be unlocked (dead easy but wipes your device). I presume after doing it you can relock the bootloader.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do your Nexuses have this multi-touch issue?

I just downloaded and tried to play PewPew, which was simply impossible, because the phone refused to register both of the touch points. I then tried the MultiTouch Tester app, and noticed the same issue there.

I then found this video, which shows my exact problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsYoxZiBTEA

Just like the video says it can be fixed (in MultiTouch Tester) by simply turning the screen off and then on again. That seems to indicate that it's not a hardware issue, but a driver issue triggered by certain apps (such as PewPew).

EDIT: Oh, according to a Google Code issue thread about this it has apparantly been fixed in the 4.0.4 update. Just gonna have to wait for that then, I guess.

VPhys

Any news on the Galaxy S3? Was thinking of getting a nexus but it doesn't make sense if the S3 is around the corner. One website says April release and an announcement this month.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Any news on the Galaxy S3? Was thinking of getting a nexus but it doesn't make sense if the S3 is around the corner. One website says April release and an announcement this month.

All they have said is that they're not showing it at MWC, so it's probably a few months away still.

About whether or not it "makes sense" to get a Nexus... Well, it's the only (official) way to get the pure Android experience (you won't get that with the SGS3 unless you flash a custom ROM), with earlier updates to new versions than any other phone.

Top Bottom