• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Revenant

So I got a week left before an upgrade and i'm heavily considering the Nexus, though I do have a couple questions about it.

First I heard a ton of disdain for the camera but is it decent enough for the most part? Is it good for basic photos a normal person might take, assuming they're not some sort of hobbyist photographer?

also how does it fit in the pocket? The phone looks awesome but I'm wondering if you guys ever find it bothersome. Does it fit fairly snug as you carry it around?

reKon

Banned
The animations are so slick and sexy. Haven't ran into any bugs yet, but then again I've barely been using this.

reKon

Banned
So I got a week left before an upgrade and i'm heavily considering the Nexus, though I do have a couple questions about it.

First I heard a ton of disdain but is it decent enough for the most part? Is it good for basic photos a normal person might take? assuming they're not some sort of hobbyist photographer?

also how does it fit in the pocket? The phone looks awesome but I'm wondering if you guys ever find it bothersome. Or does it fit fairly snug?

The phones capable of taking good photos for the most part. You just need good lighting. As for the fit in the pocket, it fits perfectly fine for me because it's slim, even with the case. I haven't had any issues with that.

Here's a sample photo of what I ate the other day:
0rEeRl.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So finally getting around to rooting my Nexus tonight. What's the ROM everyone is using these days (for us GSM people)? Anything else I should get?

lunchtoast

Decided to see how long my battery would last with casual use. (aokp milestone 2, franco 15.2 w/single core on off screen enabled) and ext battery
xUEyc.png

O4OMv.png

Piano

Banned
^^ hot damn. Have you had any issues at all with that rom/kernel combo?

I'm trying to wait until the next aokp milestone with 4.0.4 integrated but man do I need that sort of battery life...

Decided to see how long my battery would last with casual use. (aokp milestone 2, franco 15.2 w/single core on off screen enabled) and ext battery
<image of long battery life>

Can you click on screen and show us how much screen time you used? If it's about 4 - 5 hours, I will seriously consider moving to the GNex. Is this with the GSM or CDMA version and if so with LTE on?

reKon

Banned
Can you click on screen and show us how much screen time you used? If it's about 4 - 5 hours, I will seriously consider moving to the GNex. Is this with the GSM or CMDA version and if so with LTE on?

It definitely won't be that long I can already tell you that. At most he will have 3 hours

Revenant

The phones capable of taking good photos for the most part. You just need good lighting. As for the fit in the pocket, it fits perfectly fine for me because it's slim, even with the case. I haven't had any issues with that.

Here's a sample photo of what I ate the other day:
http://i.imgur.com/0rEeRl.jpg

thanks, much appreciated, I went to a verizon store to check it out and the guy working there showed me what he was running on his, very impressed with this phone. about a week and its mine.

beat

I got a Galaxy Nexus last week from Rogers, a long overdue upgrade from my HTC Magic. I would have switched, but I really wanted a pentaband phone.

While it's obviously a better experience in most ways - faster CPU, bigger screen, has a camera flash LED, more RAM - there are certain things Google tweaked in the changes between Android 2.1 and 4.0 which have annoyed me. Switching to Dolphin definitely helped the browser experience, though. (the stock browser bookmarks can only be used in icon view.)

Also, I miss the HTC soft keyboard and HTC Sense widgets and esp the Sense integration with FB contacts.

JoeFu

Banned
Chrome has something else missing that I love from stock browser. On the stock browser, when you zoom in on text and doubletap it rewraps the text into a column that fits the screen. On Chrome when you zoom in and doubletap, it just zooms back out. I suck at describing stuff, but yeah that feature needs to be in Chrome.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Chrome has something else missing that I love from stock browser. On the stock browser, when you zoom in on text and doubletap it rewraps the text into a column that fits the screen. On Chrome when you zoom in and doubletap, it just zooms back out. I suck at describing stuff, but yeah that feature needs to be in Chrome.

You're talking about text reflow. It's odd that it's missing. Maybe it will show up in the full release since this beta has issues with fonts and formatting.

JoeFu

Banned
Haha thanks, never knew what it was called. Sucks that it's missing, but I hope they add it. Chrome should have all the stuff that the stock browser has.

Husker86

Fuuuuuu I never knew you could do that with the stock browser outside of just double tapping to whatever it wanted to zoom to. This is my first non-HTC Android phone and the HTC browser always wrapped text automatically after pinch zooming, no need to double tap.

Guess I can't miss it while using Chrome then hehe.

beat

Fuuuuuu I never knew you could do that with the stock browser outside of just double tapping to whatever it wanted to zoom to. This is my first non-HTC Android phone and the HTC browser always wrapped text automatically after pinch zooming, no need to double tap.

Guess I can't miss it while using Chrome then hehe.
Oh, I didn't know the HTC browser's text reflow was different from the stock browser. OK, Dolphin does the same thing (it doesn't auto reflow, you have to double tap), but that's better than nothing.

lunchtoast

Can you click on screen and show us how much screen time you used? If it's about 4 - 5 hours, I will seriously consider moving to the GNex. Is this with the GSM or CDMA version and if so with LTE on?

CDMA and LTE is always on. These shots are from last weekend and I don't have the screen info sorry. I'm pretty sure the screen time wasn't 4-5 hours though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm having wifi tethering issues when I did not a week ago. Same aokp M3 rom. Anyone else? Verizon. It feels like they're preventing me. It works for one page load and then shuts off. Any way to get around it?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So I decided to get a GN. Great device overall, but I've already noticed a number of issues:

Every time a sound is played, a few seconds later there's an audible "pop" (as the speaker turns off?). Seems to be a very common problem with this phone.

The compass is off. When running Maps, it constantly points about 90 degrees away from how the phone is actually oriented.
UPDATE: The compass just seems very unreliable. Sometimes it will be off in another direction that it was previously. GPS seems really good though.

The phone vibrates EXTREMELY loudly. It's not just a "bzzz", it's more like the phone is actually playing a tone (a G# if anyone's interested, haha).

The screen seems to be slightly brighter on the right side than on the left. Not sure if this is my only screen issue; haven't done any rigoruous tests on this yet.
UPDATE: Ok, the screen is actually tinted pink along the right edge. Very clearly visible when the screen brightness is turned down.

Here's an example: http://i.imgur.com/OxTDU.jpg

To make the difference between the left and right sides of the screen more obvious: http://i.imgur.com/syMnT.jpg

What the Nexus is trying to display is a completely grey image.

DXPett1

Anyone with a GSM GN power button just stop working randomly?

My phone is right next to me and the LED is flashing showing I have an unread notifaction but I cannot unlock it via the power button. If I pull the battery and turn it back on its fine.

Seriously, the 4.0.2 update sucks. Phone was stable as a rock on 4.0.1 :(

Husker86

My phone is right next to me and the LED is flashing showing I have an unread notifaction but I cannot unlock it via the power button. If I pull the battery and turn it back on its fine.

This happened to me occasionally on a custom 4.0.3 ROM I was running.

gcubed

thats the sleep of death, it happened on 4.0.1 as well.

I'll be joining VZW GAF tomorrow, selling my GSM Gnex and moving to Verizon. ATT's limited unlimited pissed me off, and i'm out. The only reason i was holding on was unlimited, and since unlimited is limited worse then their limited plans, i'm out.

Thats a lot of limiteds.

Pyrokai

So I posted about this a couple pages back but now I'm closer than ever to pulling the trigger. Just have a couple more questions (regarding selling my iPhone 4S for a Galaxy Nexus.

1. Looks like I can sell my 16GB iPhone 4S for around $400 give or take, and buy a used Galaxy Nexus for about $500. Does this seem off to anyone else? Anyone know a way to lessen that gap? My numbers are just from glancing at eBay.

2. If I do this, should I sell the iPhone 4S first or buy the Galaxy Nexus first? I don't really know how it works in regards to transferring numbers. My carrier is Verizon. Ideally I would sell the phone first to see how much I get so I know what I have to work with for getting a GN, but if I do that I will be phone-less for a while. How exactly does this work? Will I be able to just go into Verizon and say "activate this phone for me" with no questions asked? And it won't affect my contract?

Uhhhh.....I think that's all for now. If I have any other questions I'll ask later. Thank you SO MUCH in advance, guys.

Edit: Also, for fun, what other phones are running ICS, if any?

mingus

2. If I do this, should I sell the iPhone 4S first or buy the Galaxy Nexus first? I don't really know how it works in regards to transferring numbers. My carrier is Verizon. Ideally I would sell the phone first to see how much I get so I know what I have to work with for getting a GN, but if I do that I will be phone-less for a while. How exactly does this work? Will I be able to just go into Verizon and say "activate this phone for me" with no questions asked? And it won't affect my contract?

For your first concern, you could always post a listing first. When potential buyers contact you, let them know what your situation is and that you'll complete the transaction as soon as you move your number to your new phone.

As for transferring numbers, I'm not on Verizon but ircc my friend who does this every so often says that it's pretty much that, to disable your old phone and to activate the new phone by calling up Verizon and giving them the serial numbers (IMSI numbers I believe). This shouldn't affect your contract either.

Feep

Banned
I'm mad.

I got my replacement phone today (first GNex's screen cracked) and the screen is of remarkably lower quality. There's this burned-in cross-hatch pattern you can see on any sort of monochrome non-black background...I'm mad. Stupid pentile displays.

I can't even call the insurance company until Monday. = (

gcubed

I've joined vzw-age. Feels good man. Service is meh in my area for all carriers but 1 bar of 4g is much faster than ATT

iavi

I've joined vzw-age. Feels good man. Service is meh in my area for all carriers but 1 bar of 4g is much faster than ATT

Yeah, I just joined the vzwcrew myself; for this phone, from Sprint. They're more expensive, and for tiered data at that, but the signal has been much better. much better.

Keyouta

So I was wondering what is the best SMS replacement? I like the stock messaging app, but I'd like to have an enter key instead of the smileys key. Also, I know I could download new keyboards if I want.

gcubed

Yeah, I just joined the vzwcrew myself; for this phone, from Sprint. They're more expensive, and for tiered data at that, but the signal has been much better. much better.

My unlimited on att was limited to 2 gig so I jumped on the double data promo that started today.

Top Bottom