• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Pyrokai

All they have said is that they're not showing it at MWC, so it's probably a few months away still.

About whether or not it "makes sense" to get a Nexus... Well, it's the only (official) way to get the pure Android experience (you won't get that with the SGS3 unless you flash a custom ROM), with earlier updates to new versions than any other phone.

Worst part about Android, btw. I will only ever get stock Android and that limits me to the Nexus phones :(

So guys, what would you consider too much money for buying a used Galaxy Nexus (Verizon)? I'm hoping I can get one for $500 dollars.

Also to summarize what I'm going to do:

1. Buy Galaxy Nexus first.
2. Sell iPhone after I get GN.
3. Hope I break even.

Husker86

My girlfriend also has a Galaxy Nexus and when I talk to her I intermittently hear a touch tone, like a number on the numpad is being pressed. This happens over bluetooth in her car (so I know she isn't hitting it accidentally) and I'm pretty sure it happens when talking directly through the phone as well. This happened stock and after rooting and installing AOKP I still hear it.

Since this would be a hard thing to figure out on the callers end, has anyone else heard anyone they talk to mention something like this happening? No one has ever mentioned it to me so I'm not sure it's a Galaxy Nexus bug but it's something I'm trying to narrow down.

My girlfriend also has a Galaxy Nexus and when I talk to her I intermittently hear a touch tone, like a number on the numpad is being pressed. This happens over bluetooth in her car (so I know she isn't hitting it accidentally) and I'm pretty sure it happens when talking directly through the phone as well. This happened stock and after rooting and installing AOKP I still hear it.

Since this would be a hard thing to figure out on the callers end, has anyone else heard anyone they talk to mention something like this happening? No one has ever mentioned it to me so I'm not sure it's a Galaxy Nexus bug but it's something I'm trying to narrow down.
Are you sure it's not Call Waiting?

For those who were hoping to manually update their GN to 4.0.4... it appears the only way you can do this is by dropping the update.zip file into the /cache folder, and the only way to access the cache folder is by using a program called Root Explorer... which, as the name would imply, requires your phone to be rooted. Root Explorer is $3.99 from the market, FYI

Husker86

Are you sure it's not Call Waiting?

Yeah, only because I hardly receive calls and I don't see any missed calls; plus it happens relatively often. It's so weird...if it were a software thing, I would think it would have went away when I flashed a different ROM. Maybe it's her car's bluetooth and I am wrong about it happening in normal use.

TxdoHawk

For those who were hoping to manually update their GN to 4.0.4... it appears the only way you can do this is by dropping the update.zip file into the /cache folder, and the only way to access the cache folder is by using a program called Root Explorer... which, as the name would imply, requires your phone to be rooted. Root Explorer is $3.99 from the market, FYI

Don't need to pay for Root Explorer to do this. Root/Unlock, download and boot into Clockwork Recovery, then flash the update.zip from there. Someone linked a tutorial on how to do all of this with "Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit" a few pages back, I followed it with zero issues.

Mafro

Posted this in the Android thread but I might as well ask again in here, Is anyone else all of a sudden no longer getting notifications from the Facebook app on their Galaxy Nexus? It was working fine for me up until a few days ago.

Cudder

Posted this in the Android thread but I might as well ask again in here, Is anyone else all of a sudden no longer getting notifications from the Facebook app on their Galaxy Nexus? It was working fine for me up until a few days ago.

Facebook notifications NEVER worked for me. Ever.

Mafro

Facebook notifications NEVER worked for me. Ever.

They didn't work for me to begin with when I first got the phone, but I did that ridiculous method of signing into Facebook on a BlackBerry to get it to work. No idea why they've stopped, there hasn't been an update to the app or anything.

3phemeral

I get FB notifications all the time, they just don't go anywhere when I tap on them.

Menelaus

Banned

I got this all the time on my Droid X, and I still get it on my Nexus. Only happens when I'm talking to people who have Sprint service. Also, I don't use bluetooth.

kehs

Banned
I forgot how to use gaf.

In order to not make this post useless too, is anyone using any gamepad+gizmo+holder for their GN? Testrisphere keeps calling me back but it sucks with the touchscreen.

Piano

Banned
Updated to the 4.0.4 leak yesterday and man oh man battery life has increased DRAMATICALLY. It barely drips when not in use and seems to drain slower from use as well. On the stock kernel.

This on top of the rest of 4.0.4's improvements...I'd recommend everyone flash the update.

reKon

Banned
? Can't you get those from Paul O'Briens custom 4.04 rom?? It's on XDA.

Apologies, re-read it. Doesn't require root but does require the bootloader to be unlocked (dead easy but wipes your device). I presume after doing it you can relock the bootloader.

Where is this? Also, another thing I'd be missing is the custom lock screen

Mafro

Updated to the 4.0.4 leak yesterday and man oh man battery life has increased DRAMATICALLY. It barely drips when not in use and seems to drain slower from use as well. On the stock kernel.

This on top of the rest of 4.0.4's improvements...I'd recommend everyone flash the update.
Is it possible to do it without being rooted? This is my first Android phone and I'm not very clued up on all that yet.

Piano

Banned
Is it possible to do it without being rooted? This is my first Android phone and I'm not very clued up on all that yet.

I think you have to at least unlock the bootloader, which includes wiping all of your data.
From that point on, though, rooting and then flashing to 4.0.4 (or 4.0.4 rooted, like I did) doesn't necessitate wiping anything so it's a pretty painless process.

I know it's scary, but there's a Galaxy Nexus toolkit on XDA that makes the whole process automatic. And as long as you make Nandroid backups (backups of your entire ROM and phone) each step of the way the risk is negligible.

Long story short, you gotta hack your phone at least a bit.

beat

My FB notifications went from totally reliable to kinda iffy in the last day or two.

Mafro

I think you have to at least unlock the bootloader, which includes wiping all of your data.
From that point on, though, rooting and then flashing to 4.0.4 (or 4.0.4 rooted, like I did) doesn't necessitate wiping anything so it's a pretty painless process.

I know it's scary, but there's a Galaxy Nexus toolkit on XDA that makes the whole process automatic. And as long as you make Nandroid backups (backups of your entire ROM and phone) each step of the way the risk is negligible.

Long story short, you gotta hack your phone at least a bit.
Doesn't sound too bad. I'll look into it.

My FB notifications went from totally reliable to kinda iffy in the last day or two.
Just noticed there's a thread about it over on the XDA forums with a few folk there having the same problem too.

Nymerio

I'm pretty new to all this android stuff and I really need some help. I got my Nexus about a week ago and rooted the same day with the GnexRootToolkit. I have not yet flashed any roms or whatever. My phone is now prompting me to install an update to 4.0.2, can I install this without loosing root?

What rom would you guys recommend and do I have to wipe everything again once I decide to flash?

JonnyBrad

Go SMS

Its fast and gorgeous too

fzfKl.jpg

There is a massive thread on XDA about them possible using data that they're not entitled to. They have so far kept quiet on the issue.

Mrcapcom

Dropped and cracked my Droid Bionic smh still works but I think ill go ahead and use my upgrade on a Galaxy Nexus (I got the Bionic through warranty exchange on thunderbolt)

Who has the best deals atm? I think I only saw Costco with the 219 and I think i can get bestbuy to price match that and use the 50 dollar gift card promo. I plan on using my wifes upgrade and moving to my line. Any other good deals out there?

gcubed

Dropped and cracked my Droid Bionic smh still works but I think ill go ahead and use my upgrade on a Galaxy Nexus (I got the Bionic through warranty exchange on thunderbolt)

Who has the best deals atm? I think I only saw Costco with the 219 and I think i can get bestbuy to price match that and use the 50 dollar gift card promo. I plan on using my wifes upgrade and moving to my line. Any other good deals out there?

in store, i believe costco is the best one

just ordered from verizon, can't take the t-bolt any longer! Should add that the t-bolt wasn't horrible but the connections are becoming loose, about time for a new battery and it's starting to do some odd shit interface wise so might as well use one of my upgrades.

NH Apache

Banned
So my last gripe with this phone is the choppiness of gifs. I use dolphin browser but they are terrible for my stock browser too. I searched around a bit but couldn't find anything on it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

gcubed

i have 1 bar on 4.0.2 at my house (my house is a dead zone for all cell carriers). I dont ever have issues though (i had to get an ATT microcell to have a conversation over 3 minutes, or to move while i talked).

Also, with that one bar, i get 9mb down and 2mb up.

Husker86

So my last gripe with this phone is the choppiness of gifs. I use dolphin browser but they are terrible for my stock browser too. I searched around a bit but couldn't find anything on it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Chrome beta shows gifs smooth even when scrolling.

Mordeccai

I'm pretty new to all this android stuff and I really need some help. I got my Nexus about a week ago and rooted the same day with the GnexRootToolkit. I have not yet flashed any roms or whatever. My phone is now prompting me to install an update to 4.0.2, can I install this without loosing root?

What rom would you guys recommend and do I have to wipe everything again once I decide to flash?

Hrmm, I would have thought the root toolkit would block over the air updates, but I guess not?

Honestly, if you're rooted, I wouldn't take the risk of DL'ing the OTA update.

Here is the XDA section of development for the CDMA version of the nexus, honestly the only bad rom I have flashed so far has been the Cyanogen one, for what ever reason it did not play nice with my phone. Go ahead and shop around there, I find that different roms and kernels work in different manners for most phones.

For what its worth, I'm on AOKP build 23 with Franco's kernel and I get about 3 hours of screen on time per charge. Plus, the AOKP rom gives me nice features like changing the color of the softkeys to any shade I want.

NH Apache

Banned
So chrome is a big step up, but those Upton gifs still aren't close to smooth, even compared to my old galaxy tab. And I can't over elaborate how much I looove the bookmarks access on dolphin, as well as bookmarks sync. Tried stock browser again too and it was worse than dolphin. I also tried forced hardware rendering and no difference.

It has to be a bigger issue. Why can my old tab do this and this new dual core not handle it? I'll keep looking into it.

Sigh.

Nymerio

Hrmm, I would have thought the root toolkit would block over the air updates, but I guess not?

Honestly, if you're rooted, I wouldn't take the risk of DL'ing the OTA update.

Here is the XDA section of development for the CDMA version of the nexus, honestly the only bad rom I have flashed so far has been the Cyanogen one, for what ever reason it did not play nice with my phone. Go ahead and shop around there, I find that different roms and kernels work in different manners for most phones.

For what its worth, I'm on AOKP build 23 with Franco's kernel and I get about 3 hours of screen on time per charge. Plus, the AOKP rom gives me nice features like changing the color of the softkeys to any shade I want.

I found out that OTA updates aren't blocked per se: They are still downloaded and I get prompted to install, but the install fails because it wants to use the standard bootloader which is not there.

How about that AOKP? I read some good things about it and want to try it out. Are there any easy instructions out there? And how safe is this? I created a backup with the rom manager, can I recover from this if I screw up and brick my phone?

gcubed

So chrome is a big step up, but those Upton gifs still aren't close to smooth, even compared to my old galaxy tab. And I can't over elaborate how much I looove the bookmarks access on dolphin, as well as bookmarks sync. Tried stock browser again too and it was worse than dolphin. I also tried forced hardware rendering and no difference.

It has to be a bigger issue. Why can my old tab do this and this new dual core not handle it? I'll keep looking into it.

Sigh.

You don't use chrome as your desktop browser?

Ashes

Banned

Sigh.

those upton gifs are an exception. They are HD uncompressed lossles gifs.

1 is 14mb.
and another is 5mb.

on the first page. here.

mingus

Can anyone recommend an e-reader that goes full screen on the gnex? Both kindle and aldiko keep the virtual buttons up, and my paranoia about burn-in is starting to get to me. I wouldn't mind one that reduces the virtual buttons to dots either.

NH Apache

Banned
You don't use chrome as your desktop browser?

Hell yeah I do. Saw that feature last night. I'll try it, I'm just used to swiping right to get to my bookmarks. It looks like I have to do a little more to get to bookmarks in chrome, but I'll look into it more.

I'm probably going to blow out the phone today anyways as I want to put a new rom on.

those upton gifs are an exception. They are HD uncompressed lossles gifs.

1 is 14mb.
and another is 5mb.

on the first page. here.

Well, that makes more sense. 14 MB gif. Damn.

kehs

Banned
Anyone waiting for the 32 gig GSM GN can start crying, since they've canceled it apparently.

You consolation prize? White 16 GSM GN is being sold soon.

gcubed

Anyone waiting for the 32 gig GSM GN can start crying, since they've canceled it apparently.

You consolation prize? White 16 GSM GN is being sold soon.

i have a cool 32gb of memory on my phone. 28.13gb of total space, 26.21gb free. Anyone wanna borrow some geebees?

Top Bottom