• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

womp

This is all you need if you are rooted...it's always been free and is constantly worked on. Works like a champ.

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Side load it via your phone browser or download to your PC and email it to yourself and download it through your GMail on the phone.

Not rooting your Galaxy Nexus is like not putting cheese on a grilled cheese though. No reason not to do it. ;)

Has anyone heard any rumors of when Verizon will be pushing out 4.0.4 to the LTE GNs?

I'm having issues unlocking my phone, but really, really want that update.

Menelaus

Banned
Has anyone heard any rumors of when Verizon will be pushing out 4.0.4 to the LTE GNs?

I'm having issues unlocking my phone, but really, really want that update.

What kind of issues are you having trying to unlock it? With Wug's program, it's pretty foolproof.

kehs

Banned
mmm finally. On a different note, chrome beta allows swiping to switch tabs; is there a similar shortcut to close the current tab or do I have to display all tabs before dismissing tabs?

Seems that way. I did find out that tabs will close automatically when you reach the end of the "back" stack. So if you open a new tab for a page, if you hit back it will just close, unless you traversed to other links.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How well-calibrated is the accelerometer(s?) in your GNs? Mine seems to be slightly off. Laying the phone down on a level surface, this is the reading I get from GPS Status (which also displays accelerometer data):

W1OjI.png

The interesting parts are the "Pitch/Roll" numbers and the yellow "blob" in the middle of the compass. That the pitch is a bit off can probably be explained by the "hump" on the back of the phone, but the roll being off by 2 degrees is a bit more troubling. I have to noticeably tilt the phone to the right to get a 0 degree reading. Ok, so this isn't really a problem in everyday use, since it's a pretty small deviation, but it's a bit annoying to the perfectionist in me. So I just want to know whether or not this is a common issue.

How well-calibrated is the accelerometer(s?) in your GNs? Mine seems to be slightly off. Laying the phone down on a level surface, this is the reading I get from GPS Status (which also displays accelerometer data):

W1OjI.png

The interesting parts are the "Pitch/Roll" numbers and the yellow "blob" in the middle of the compass. That the pitch is a bit off can probably be explained by the "hump" on the back of the phone, but the roll being off by 2 degrees is a bit more troubling. I have to noticeably tilt the phone to the right to get a 0 degree reading. Ok, so this isn't really a problem in everyday use, since it's a pretty small deviation, but it's a bit annoying to the perfectionist in me. So I just want to know whether or not this is a common issue.
try calibrating it face down

gcubed

Calibrating how? There is no system-wide way to calibrate the accelerometer (you can do it in specific apps, but that calibration will only be valid for that app).

I think he was being facetious. Face down you can't see the results so you can just chill out because it doesn't matter. :)

I think he was being facetious. Face down you can't see the results so you can just chill out because it doesn't matter. :)

no, i was actually being serious about calibrating it upside down. try doing it near the edge of a table with the phone 1/3 off the table so you can press the calibrate button.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
no, i was actually being serious about calibrating it upside down. try doing it near the edge of a table with the phone 1/3 off the table so you can press the calibrate button.

But again: There is no system-wide way to calibrate the accelerometer(s). You can only do it in specific apps, and then that calibration will only be valid for that app. It will still be off in other apps. And the problem isn't that the back of the phone isn't flat. Like I said, I have to noticeably tilt the phone to the right to get a 0 degree reading.

Mordeccai

I found out that OTA updates aren't blocked per se: They are still downloaded and I get prompted to install, but the install fails because it wants to use the standard bootloader which is not there.

How about that AOKP? I read some good things about it and want to try it out. Are there any easy instructions out there? And how safe is this? I created a backup with the rom manager, can I recover from this if I screw up and brick my phone?

Well I've had AOKP on my phone for about six days now and I feel comfortable enough to leave feedback.

Initially, I was impressed. Its given me the best homescreen I've ever had on a phone because of how easy it is to change the colors of everything. But the performance takes a hit. I've had the sleep of death happen to me about five times, which is very frustrating. And it sucks going to sleep worrying if your phone will be awake to sound the alarm.

Battery life showed promise, but hasn't been optimal the past few days. I get about an hour and a half of screen time now. Looks like its time to jump onto a new ROM.

And yeah the instructions are actually pretty simple. If you're already rooted, and have CWM flashed (The autoroot tool kit should have done this for you, if not rom manager can flash it) all you have to do is reboot into recovery and launch the .zip file. Its safe provided you make a backup. This is so if anything happens, you can just flash back to a prior state. It works just like a backup on your computer, think of it that way.

Here's my favorite homescreen I've made so far... about to go bye-bye later tonight in search of a rom with better battery life :[

Nymerio

Thanks for the reply, but I already figured it out. I'm now running the latest AOKP and I'm pretty satisfied. I'm getting over 3 hours of screen time easily and have not had any stability problems. Haven't really done a lot of homescreen customization, but I'll post a screenshot tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah its giving me a panic attack. I feel real, palpable anxiety looking at that trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do. I don't even know how to live anymore.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So I'm buying this next week.

First Android phone.

Boo ya.

I hope AndroidGAF will welcome me back.

Pyrokai

Guys I'm still afraid to buy a used or new Galaxy Nexus on eBay for fear of losing out on too much money when I sell my 16gb iPhone 4S. Also I don't understand this process because I'm assuming that if I get a locked Verizon Galaxy Nexus, it's going to have a number tied to it and when I ship out my iPhone to whomever buys it, it will also have my number tied to it.

Also will I get charged by Verizon if I simply show up with a new phone asking them to activate it under my number? Do I need to take in my old iPhone along with my new Nexus in order to switch the numbers? Does this mean I should definitely buy the Nexus and then sell the iPhone AFTER I receive it? (that kinda sucks since I won't know how much I'll get for my iPhone to appropriately judge how much I'm willing to spend on a Nexus).

Fuuuuu----so confusing.

I really want a GN but I'm gonna lose so much. I so regret getting the iPhone.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Guys I'm still afraid to buy a used or new Galaxy Nexus on eBay for fear of losing out on too much money when I sell my 16gb iPhone 4S. Also I don't understand this process because I'm assuming that if I get a locked Verizon Galaxy Nexus, it's going to have a number tied to it and when I ship out my iPhone to whomever buys it, it will also have my number tied to it.

Also will I get charged by Verizon if I simply show up with a new phone asking them to activate it under my number? Do I need to take in my old iPhone along with my new Nexus in order to switch the numbers? Does this mean I should definitely buy the Nexus and then sell the iPhone AFTER I receive it? (that kinda sucks since I won't know how much I'll get for my iPhone to appropriately judge how much I'm willing to spend on a Nexus).

Fuuuuu----so confusing.

I really want a GN but I'm gonna lose so much. I so regret getting the iPhone.

That does sound annoying. Here in Sweden (well, most of Europe I guess) we still use SIM cards, so there's none of that to worry about. When I get a new phone, I simply move my SIM card over to the new one. I've never had a number tied to a phone.

Yeah, this post wasn't very helpful. Sorry!

Circle T

Your phone number isn't permanently tied to any devices with Verizon. They will link a device's IMEI number to your account, in order to provision it correctly on the network, but that is it. If you walk into a store with a different Verizon device (Nexus), they will simply get the IMEI number from it, add it to your account, and remove the old device (iPhone) from your account. The iPhone will then be unlinked from your account, and available to sell. Nothing to worry about.

Unless you're talking about the iMessage bug, in which case I don't know if there is a fix or not. But as far as Verizon is concerned, your old iPhone is gone until you sell it and someone else activates it on their account.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I hope it's on verizon.

It will be~

Taking a risk that the more thickness and lesser battery life won't make too much of a difference. I checked and Boston is coated in 4G though, it's like a map of Russia from the 50's.

Also I don't give a crap what Verizon thinks, I'm sideloading Google Wallet first thing and removing Verizon bloatcrap second thing.

Circle T

It will be~

Taking a risk that the more thickness and lesser battery life won't make too much of a difference. I checked and Verizon is coated in 4G though, it's like a map of Russia from the 50's.

Also I don't give a crap what Verizon thinks, I'm sideloading Google Wallet first thing and removing Verizon bloatcrap second thing.

No need to sideload it. Get it straight from Goog...

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/0...m-the-market-on-the-verizon-lte-galaxy-nexus/

I did it using these instructions, and it works great.

kehs

Banned
It will be~

Taking a risk that the more thickness and lesser battery life won't make too much of a difference. I checked and Verizon is coated in 4G though, it's like a map of Russia from the 50's.

Blasphemy.

Circle T

That's sort of what I meant. Obviously Google doesn't really care about wallet being semi available to Verizon GN peeps.

Right. I just meant it in a "Get it straight from the source" kind of way. Some people (myself included) were a little hesitant about sideload installing an app from who-knows-where that deals with my credit cards and cash. This way, you have no doubts about the authenticity of the app.

Top Bottom