• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Circle T

Ah yeah, cool. And it gets the updates too right?

Well, it hasn't had any updates since I installed it, but it shows up in my list of apps, both on the phone and Market website, so if/when they update it, I'm assuming it will.

The recent security issues with it were apparently handled server-side with them, as the app never got an update, even after Google said they fixed things.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well, it hasn't had any updates since I installed it, but it shows up in my list of apps, both on the phone and Market website, so if/when they update it, I'm assuming it will.

The recent security issues with it were apparently handled server-side with them, as the app never got an update, even after Google said they fixed things.

Even the reset one not server side though? Or I guess I assumed it wasn't.

Circle T

Even the reset one not server side though? Or I guess I assumed it wasn't.

Yea, I'm not sure. I've only had it installed a couple weeks (since that D-L article). According to the Market website, the app's last update was a day or so before I installed. I figured after the recent security issues, they would update the app, but there never was one. I used it just yesterday, though, and everything worked fine.

Neogaf... Ive been waiting for Swype since i got this phone during Christmas. The stock keyboard was a pain in my fat fingered ass and it hurt my enjoyment of this phone. That's all history because this shit is cash!!!! Fucking lightning fast and fun as hell.

Nymerio

Well I've had AOKP on my phone for about six days now and I feel comfortable enough to leave feedback.

Initially, I was impressed. Its given me the best homescreen I've ever had on a phone because of how easy it is to change the colors of everything. But the performance takes a hit. I've had the sleep of death happen to me about five times, which is very frustrating. And it sucks going to sleep worrying if your phone will be awake to sound the alarm.

Battery life showed promise, but hasn't been optimal the past few days. I get about an hour and a half of screen time now. Looks like its time to jump onto a new ROM.

And yeah the instructions are actually pretty simple. If you're already rooted, and have CWM flashed (The autoroot tool kit should have done this for you, if not rom manager can flash it) all you have to do is reboot into recovery and launch the .zip file. Its safe provided you make a backup. This is so if anything happens, you can just flash back to a prior state. It works just like a backup on your computer, think of it that way.

Here's my favorite homescreen I've made so far... about to go bye-bye later tonight in search of a rom with better battery life :[

I love this phone. I've been playing with that minimalistic text app and I really like it. Does gaf have any other must have apps that I should know about? I'm running nova launcher by the way, which is also pretty great. Only thing I'm currentyl missing is a logo for my gaf bookmark that goes with my icon set.

kehs

Banned
I love this phone. I've been playing with that minimalistic text app and I really like it. Does gaf have any other must have apps that I should know about? I'm running nova launcher by the way, which is also pretty great. Only thing I'm currentyl missing is a logo for my gaf bookmark that goes with my icon set.

If you look in the webapp thread you could probably pimp one of the minimalist icons from the mockups.

kinggroin

Banned
Screenshot_2012_02_19_09_56_17.png

Anyone know how to center that calendar widget using nova launcher?

Edit: nvrmnd. The widget has a small version that fits perfectly centered if I manually resize.

Can anyone recommend a good video-conversion app for OSX that I can use to convert a video for my GN? Also, what's the best app to use for playing the video on my GN?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can anyone recommend a good video-conversion app for OSX that I can use to convert a video for my GN? Also, what's the best app to use for playing the video on my GN?

Don't know about the first question, but for videos you should check out DicePlayer. It's hardware-accelerated and plays 720p files without a hitch. Unfortunately only an ad-supported version is available at the moment.

kinggroin

Banned
Don't know about the first question, but for videos you should check out DicePlayer. It's hardware-accelerated and plays 720p files without a hitch. Unfortunately only an ad-supported version is available at the moment.

Its a fantastic player. I had my GN underclocked to 700mhz and it handled 1080p video flawlessly.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Its a fantastic player. I had my GN underclocked to 700mhz and it handled 1080p video flawlessly.

I haven't even tried playing a 1080p video (really no reason unless you just have a 1080p video and don't feel like converting it to 720p), but I guess I should!

EDIT: Ok, I downloaded the 1080p version of Big Buck Bunny and copied it over to the phone, and yep, absolutely flawless playback in DicePlayer. Also, the ads aren't really that annoying, since they only appear when you bring up the playback controls. I can live with that.

Circle T

I've always used HandBrake for converting videos. It has worked well for me. I haven't converted anything specifically for the GN, but it will convert to and from many different formats, so you should be fine with it.

gcubed

It will be~

Taking a risk that the more thickness and lesser battery life won't make too much of a difference. I checked and Boston is coated in 4G though, it's like a map of Russia from the 50's.

Also I don't give a crap what Verizon thinks, I'm sideloading Google Wallet first thing and removing Verizon bloatcrap second thing.

just dont disable the verizon login service if you want to use any verizon apps. You need it for NFL Mobile and NHL Scorecenter Premium.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
just dont disable the verizon login service if you want to use any verizon apps. You need it for NFL Mobile and NHL Scorecenter Premium.

NFL? What's that? Near Field Linking, like NFC? :p

So since this is stock Android it has tethering built in still right? That hasn't been cut?

adg1034

So, I've been having browser issues. I'll use the Secondapps GAF site as an example: the forum list shows up fine, as does whatever forum I choose. But if I go to a thread, once I scroll down past one screen's worth of webpage, I see a static image of the thread list that continues until I scroll past where the thread list would have ended. It's like the browser forgets to redraw that portion of the new page. If I switch my phone's orientation, it shows up perfectly, but this is getting horrifically annoying.

Any thoughts?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Built in, but you have to pay for it.

This is really bewildering to me. Paying extra for tethering doesn't exist here, and I fail to see how American carriers justify it. To me that's essentially like if you had to pay extra to your ISP for every new device you add to your home WLAN. Why do carriers care which device the data you download ends up on in the end?

Is the reasoning that computers use up more data (in which case I could kind of understand the reasoning - but only for truly unlimited data plans)? Or is it just a "let's grab more cash because we can, without explaining why" situation?

kehs

Banned
This is really bewildering to me. Paying extra for tethering doesn't exist here, and I fail to see how American carriers justify it. To me that's essentially like if you had to pay extra to your ISP for every new device you add to your home WLAN. Why do carriers care which device the data you download ends up on in the end?

Is the reasoning that computers use up more data (in which case I could kind of understand the reasoning - but only for truly unlimited data plans)? Or is it just a "let's grab more cash because we can, without explaining why" situation?

The latter.

zoku88

I think I might pull the trigger on this one, what do you guys think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...Cell_Phones&hash=item35b9b83a1e#ht_500wt_1140

But before I do, is there anything else I should double check? And do I have to worry about a SIM card? Like, if I sell my iPhone, should I keep the SIM card? I don't really understand how they work, tbh. Never had to deal with them.

You should keep your Sim card.

Unless you want the buyer to use your account...

I don't think the iPhone Sim will work in the Nexus though. I think the iPhone users a micro SIM?

Circle T

You should keep your Sim card.

Unless you want the buyer to use your account...

I don't think the iPhone Sim will work in the Nexus though. I think the iPhone users a micro SIM?

The Verizon Nexus also uses a Micro SIM, but the one that comes with an iPhone 4S will not work anyway. The 4S has a standard 3G SIM, whereas the Nexus needs a 4G LTE SIM.

So yes, keep your SIM, but you'll have to stop at a Verizon store and swap it out for a 4G LTE SIM. Simple thing, should take no more than about 5-10 mins to get the new SIM and Phone activated on your account.

Pyrokai

Thanks, guys. Really appreciate the help. Does the eBay item I'm looking at seem like a good one? I might pull the trigger and order it. I'm gonna see if she'll accept $460 instead of the $495, though, just for fun to see what happens.

So the person selling this phone probably is keeping her SIM as well, right? I hope there won't be an issue of her sending me the phone with her SIM and then she needs it back :lol

Pyrokai

I know I'll like the phone, I'm just hoping everything goes well in the process of me getting this (used) Galaxy Nexus and for when I sell my iPhone, too. Scary stuff!

zoku88

The Verizon Nexus also uses a Micro SIM, but the one that comes with an iPhone 4S will not work anyway. The 4S has a standard 3G SIM, whereas the Nexus needs a 4G LTE SIM.

So yes, keep your SIM, but you'll have to stop at a Verizon store and swap it out for a 4G LTE SIM. Simple thing, should take no more than about 5-10 mins to get the new SIM and Phone activated on your account.

Oh wow, I really should have clicked the link. Didn't think it was a Verizon Nexus.

The Verizon iphone has a SIM in it?

Circle T

Oh wow, I really should have clicked the link. Didn't think it was a Verizon Nexus.

The Verizon iphone has a SIM in it?

If I remember correctly, it comes with a Vodafone SIM for "World" use. Can't be activated on a GSM carrier, but will allow international roaming.

*Edit* - This is the 4S we're talking about, btw. The Verizon iPhone 4 didn't have a SIM slot, and was CDMA only.

some US ISP's used to do that!

rozay

Banned
I'm under the suspicion that 4.0 has tethering flags that previous versions of android do not-I've tethered with my nexus one without issue for over a year and the first time I do so after installing a 4.0 rom, I got a text from at&t informing me that tethering requires a plan. I'm a little afraid to try again as I don't want to get kicked off the plan.

Piano

Banned
I'm under the suspicion that 4.0 has tethering flags that previous versions of android do not-I've tethered with my nexus one without issue for over a year and the first time I do so after installing a 4.0 rom, I got a text from at&t informing me that tethering requires a plan. I'm a little afraid to try again as I don't want to get kicked off the plan.

Hasn't AT&T just been getting more aggressive about tethering recently? Remember reading a story about it.

So when I was running 4.0.1 on my tuna, my calendar had holidays and whatnot on it. I updated to 4.0.2 and now I get no holidays on my calendar.

What's up with that?

Pyrokai

So I'm getting the Verizon 4G LTE version. Couple quick questions:

1. How many versions are there? Does the unlocked version work with all network types? Just curious.

2. Since I'm getting it used, is there a way I can reset it so that it's just like it was out-of-the-box?

3. On the Android Market website, it still has all my records for my old Motorola Droid? Is there a way I can "deregister" my Moto Droid from the site? It's not gonna download all the apps I previously had on my Droid to my Galaxy Nexus, will it?

4. When I go into a Verizon store to activate it to my number, will I be charged?

Circle T

So I'm getting the Verizon 4G LTE version. Couple quick questions:

1. How many versions are there? Does the unlocked version work with all network types? Just curious.

2. Since I'm getting it used, is there a way I can reset it so that it's just like it was out-of-the-box?

3. On the Android Market website, it still has all my records for my old Motorola Droid? Is there a way I can "deregister" my Moto Droid from the site? It's not gonna download all the apps I previously had on my Droid to my Galaxy Nexus, will it?

4. When I go into a Verizon store to activate it to my number, will I be charged?

1. Two; the LTE version you are getting, and the GSM version. LTE version only works on Verizon, GSM version works worldwide on any GSM carrier.
2. Yes (Settings --> Backup & Reset --> Factory Data Reset). You'll have a factory fresh Nexus after doing that.
3. It might, but I wouldn't count on it. And yes, you can "Hide" the Droid from the website, but all your old apps will still be listed for download if you need them
4. You shouldn't be charged. Just tell them you want to change devices, nothing more. They'll give you a LTE SIM, remove the iPhone from your account, and add the Nexus.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Just gonna clarify this one a bit: No, you can't deregister your old phone. I have a bunch of phones registered there for various reasons (old phone, borrowed phone, etc.), but I only physically have one of them. Can't get rid of the others. But as mentioned above, you can hide phones, so they don't show up in the list of devices available when remotely installing an app.

And for the second part of the question: When you first boot your new phone, it will ask you whether or not you want to download the apps and settings you have previously synced to your Google account, and also whether or not you want apps and settings on the new phone to be synced to your account. If you want a completely "fresh" experience, you'll want to uncheck that first option.

Menelaus

Banned
As much as I dislike the optic quality of the G-Nex, I sure do love the built in panorama feature. I can't wait for a good Moto phone with awesome cam.

PANO_20120219_101820.jpg

Circle T

Just gonna clarify this one a bit: No, you can't deregister your old phone. I have a bunch of phones registered there for various reasons (old phone, borrowed phone, etc.), but I only physically have one of them. Can't get rid of the others. But as mentioned above, you can hide phones, so they don't show up in the list of devices available when remotely installing an app.

And for the second part of the question: When you first boot your new phone, it will ask you whether or not you want to download the apps and settings you have previously synced to your Google account, and also whether or not you want apps and settings on the new phone to be synced to your account. If you want a completely "fresh" experience, you'll want to uncheck that first option.

I've never, personally, had that thing work. I always leave it checked, but none of my apps ever download and install. [/shrug]

Husker86

I've never, personally, had that thing work. I always leave it checked, but none of my apps ever download and install. [/shrug]

They always do for me...and I always stop them and use Titanium right away. I don't uncheck the box because I do want it to backup stuff, just don't care for the auto Market downloads.

Circle T

They always do for me...and I always stop them and use Titanium right away. I don't uncheck the box because I do want it to backup stuff, just don't care for the auto Market downloads.

I wonder if my multitude of devices is what causes this? Since I have 3 devices active on my account at any one time, maybe it doesn't do this because it doesn't know what apps I'd want?

That's my only guess because, like I said, never once has that worked. I've had phones update apps ON the device by themselves (Gmail, Maps, etc), but never install other apps.

Oh well.

3phemeral

I wonder if my multitude of devices is what causes this? Since I have 3 devices active on my account at any one time, maybe it doesn't do this because it doesn't know what apps I'd want?

That's my only guess because, like I said, never once has that worked. I've had phones update apps ON the device by themselves (Gmail, Maps, etc), but never install other apps.

Oh well.
Same here. It happened when I first got my D2 (but never saw the option, it just downloaded automatically), but now that you mention the multiple-device thing, that might be it. Haven't seen it happen since, but I don't recall if this was the case after I got my Transformer.

The only thing that will auto-download (and usually not reliably) are paid-for apps. Everything else I have to skim through a huge list (usually the PC Android Marketplace) to find what I had previously installed.

Unlocked, rooted, and flashed 4.0.4 to my LTE GN last night based on information here. Once I got some drivers issues sorted out it was all incredibly easy.

It's all incredibly fasts and smooth, and I'd say the battery life is definitely imp[roved so far.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Those are two different checkboxes (one to download your synced apps and settings, one to enable syncing of the new phone's stuff). At least they are in ICS. Weren't they before?

Top Bottom