• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Chorazin

so I've had the vicious 4.1 rom installed now for about 9 hours and it is unbelievably good. I know that JB was mostly 'tweaks' to ICS but goddamn they make such a profound difference to usability.

Thanks for mentioning this ROM, about to flash V3 of it as soon as my Nandroid backup is finished!

reKon

Banned
You guys are really making me want to flash, but I'm going to miss the AOKP 40 too much!

Is it really worth flashing now?

elsk

Banned
So guys I need an advice. I've been using an iPhone (EDGE) since 2007... but all the buttons stopped working like a month ago so I need to get a new phone this year.

A member of my family is travelling to US in October, so I'll ask her to buy me the phone. I'm between Galaxy Nexus (350$) or an iPhone 4 (375$ unlocked)... the Galaxy Nexus looks way better both hardware and features (iPhone 4 having less features than 4S), but the size of the phone really worries me. I found the iPhone size to be pretty much perfect and I don't know if the size of the Galaxy Nexus is just too much.

Could you guys comment a little about your experience with the size, etc specially if you used an iPhone before moving to a Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks!

reKon

Banned
So guys I need an advice. I've been using an iPhone (EDGE) since 2007... but all the buttons stopped working like a month ago so I need to get a new phone this year.

A member of my family is travelling to US in October, so I'll ask her to buy me the phone. I'm between Galaxy Nexus (350$) or an iPhone 4 (375$ unlocked)... the Galaxy Nexus looks way better, but the size of the phone really worries me. I found the iPhone size to be pretty much perfect and I don't know if the size of the Galaxy Nexus is just too much.

Could you guys comment a little about your experience with the size, etc specially if you used an iPhone before moving to a Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks!

It's hard to text with one hand. That's the only con I've experienced, but other than that, the phone is slim and feels good to hold in the hand.

The screen is pretty much great for anything from browsing/texting/reading to playing games

It's just something you adjust to and I feel that this is actually a good size. Remember that this almost the same size as those 4.3 inch phones. Once you adjust, it will be hard to go back to that 3.5 screen because the experience is cramped.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

A member of my family is travelling to US in October, so I'll ask her to buy me the phone. I'm between Galaxy Nexus (350$) or an iPhone 4 (375$ unlocked)... the Galaxy Nexus looks way better both hardware and features (iPhone 4 having less features than 4S), but the size of the phone really worries me. I found the iPhone size to be pretty much perfect and I don't know if the size of the Galaxy Nexus is just too much.

Thanks!

You'll get used to it. I had an iPhone, a Galaxy Nexus, and now the huge Galaxy Note. Give it two weeks. Then try holding an iPhone and see how much of a toy it feels.

kehs

Banned
Welp, just wiped my phone, moved to takju, rooted, and about to install JB.

I remember now why I stopped doing all this stuff.

Should looked into getting a stock image before starting this, lol. Still flashing shit. =/

Thanks!

i feel like i need to recite some psalms after reading this post. i mean wow. oh man. must stay strong...

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I recently bought a HTC One S for a darn good price. Wondering if I should stick with it or trade it for a Galaxy Nexus. Superior HW vs Superior SW. What do you think guys?

reKon

Banned
Screenshot_2012-06-30-16-47-38.png

So far so good!

I'm on Vicious v3 w/ franco (that's what he put into this)

Not sure if I should use stock though..

reKon

Banned
Wtffff not one hint of slowdown at all running the koi fish live wall paper + supervideo playing in the background

I was able to do the samething with AOKP 40 without any stuttering but now there's absolutely no FPS drop

kehs

Banned
Freaking finally.

There's so much subtle refinement. I take back my mini-rant about people going ga-ga over JB. The added weight-class to the robot font class makes all these dialogs seem classy as fuck. I can't quite place the brand, but there's alot of subtle visual tweaks that makes things look really high end. Silver/grey tones. It's nice.

The UI feels just slippery as the outside of the phone now. Even though WP7 launchers a million times better, I might be retiring it since I forgot to save my layout, and I don't feel like doing that all over again.

RIP ICS Browser +.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think people sometimes forget that, despite the different code names, ICS/JB Froyo/GB, these are 6 month updates. Update, refine. I like the tick tock cycle. Unlike Apple, Google tick tocks once a year instead of once every two years (iPhone 4/4S, Leopard/SL, Lion/ML).

I'm pumped for xda to get JB going on my Galaxy Note AOKP ROM.

kehs

Banned
Hmm...Looks like the fixed the gradient bitmap in the settings, no more ugly lines going across, regardless of the brightness.

Speaking of brightness, the white point seems to have been tweaked heavily. Am Happy or Am Crazy.

JoeFu

Banned
Battery life seems to be about the same as 4.0.4 which is nice. Really love how smooth everything is.

So if we have JRN84D we should OTA's and stuff?

Hmm...Looks like the fixed the gradient bitmap in the settings, no more ugly lines going across, regardless of the brightness.

Speaking of brightness, the white point seems to have been tweaked heavily. Am Happy or Am Crazy.

I don't think you're crazy... The whites look a bit better.

kinggroin

Banned
Freaking finally.

Except they're not. Most of the time though, the bar will come up instantly, but the actual app thumbnails lag behind. It works better this way anyway since the app you're trying to switch to, is more than likely one of the first three that appear.

Still a massive improvement over ICS, which I felt was good enough (until you had upwards of 10 or more apps open).

So, having had JB for three days now, these are my findings:

Frame rate STAYS at 60fps when the keyboard is present. This is a HUGE deal for the typing experience.

The multitasking bar is faster, and it almost always scrolls at 60fps (slight drops with an intensive application running in the foreground). Swiping apps away is always 60fps.

Live wallpapers still suck. Phase beam is 60fps though (probably because it doesn't scroll)

Browser has reached performance parity with the iOS safari on the iPad 3. It's scary smooth, even with flash playing. Gifs are still choppy, but have no effect on scrolling or what have you. Also, the address bar doesn't cause skipped frames when it appears (from scrolling up) and the multi window view to switch between "tabs" is 100% 60fps. Websites that used to cause frame drops (on ios as well), no longer do. Xda was a big culprit.

Home screen almost never drops frames, even when widgets are refreshing. Widgets almost never redraw either (I have every page filled).

App drawer animation is also 60fps 99% of the time. Glad to see this, since the button glow animation used to cause major stutters on ICS.

3rd party and even some google apps, need a bit of that project buttery love. The UI makes going to non JB native apps, incredibly painful. Overall, the GN is actually a bit more consistent in performance than my iPad 3! Still not 4s, ipad2, or wp7 smooth, but I'd say it's 90% there (ICS 80%).

One thing I've noticed about this new rendering engine. It waits for animations to pre buffer before opening the app, each time. What this means is that if the system is kinda busy, the app takes longer to actually launch, then it would on ICS. Although when it does, it's smooooooth.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Running JB now on my Verizon Nexus (Vicious V3). Pretty good so far, but there is a slight pause when launching apps sometimes, even after you've already opened them. Maybe it will get better over time. Scrolling definitely feels better, though.

edit - I like most of the notification bar changes, but I think the font is too light. Makes the Pentile a bit more obvious (lol). The new animation on the Quick Controls in the browser is pretty cool. Noticing now they changed the behavior of it quite a bit. Can now move through tabs without going to a separate window as well as a host of other shortcuts that adjust on the fly depending on which icon you're highlighted over. Nice.

reKon

Banned
Running JB now on my Verizon Nexus (Vicious V3). Pretty good so far, but there is a slight pause when launching apps sometimes, even after you've already opened them. Maybe it will get better over time.

Noticed that too, but everything feels smooth. AOKP was definitely faster and it was still very smooth. The difference here is that you can feel the butter everywhere (except when you're installing a lot of apps - it will pause and wait before doing actions and there was a tiny bit of stuttering).

reKon

Banned
How did you achieve this look?

Nova launcher allows you to manipulate the dock in many ways including the ability to easily the change the icon to anything you want. I downloaded a icon pack and was able to change each of the icons in minutes.

For the days of the week and date, I used the app minimalistic text and created custom layouts for 1 x 5 and 2 x 3 widgets (around that size)

kehs

Banned
Running JB now on my Verizon Nexus (Vicious V3). Pretty good so far, but there is a slight pause when launching apps sometimes, even after you've already opened them. Maybe it will get better over time. Scrolling definitely feels better, though.

edit - I like most of the notification bar changes, but I think the font is too light. Makes the Pentile a bit more obvious (lol). The new animation on the Quick Controls in the browser is pretty cool. Noticing now they changed the behavior of it quite a bit. Can now move through tabs without going to a separate window as well as a host of other shortcuts that adjust on the fly depending on which icon you're highlighted over. Nice.

I'm not sure how to feel about the quick controls yet. I like the idea but they need a little tweaking in size and lower sensitivity.

th3dude

Anyone running a JB ROM having GPS issues? Looks like I'm not alone but I've yet to see a fix. May have to revert until official releases.

Pachimari

So I just opened up my Galaxy Nexus and has been holding it for the first time, this is so exciting!

Hopefully I'll be able to flash it with Jelly Bean by the kind help of 3pheMeraLmiX.

Any way of downloading the 'Onlive' app if it won't let me on play.google.com?

Oh, I have downloaded apps through play.google.com but they are nowhere to be found on my phone, do I need to update the phone to the latest version before this works?

thespot84

Anyone running a JB ROM having GPS issues? Looks like I'm not alone but I've yet to see a fix. May have to revert until official releases.

weird, it worked in the car for me about an hour ago but now i'm home and it won't lock. (vicious JB rom for Toro) GPS status says it sees satellites but most of them remain grey...3

Oh, I have downloaded apps through play.google.com but they are nowhere to be found on my phone, do I need to update the phone to the latest version before this works?

you need to at least open the play app on your phone and accept the terms of use.

th3dude

weird, it worked in the car for me about an hour ago but now i'm home and it won't lock. (vicious JB rom for Toro) GPS status says it sees satellites but most of them remain grey...3

you need to at least open the play app on your phone and accept the terms of use.

Yea. It was a fun experiment to try out JB, but I'm going to flash back to AOKP or CM until AOSP ROMs hit. Just not quite stable enough for daily use for me.

th3dude

It's the only thing i've found not working so far. what else has not worked on your end?

GPS issues are enough to make me go back for now, since I use it often enough.

Also there seem to be some wake-lock issues that will drain the battery faster. To me, not worth the effort to tweak it to get it working right now.

Chorazin

GPS issues are enough to make me go back for now, since I use it often enough.

Also there seem to be some wake-lock issues that will drain the battery faster. To me, not worth the effort to tweak it to get it working right now.

I'm seeing some GPS issues on mine as well, it can be 10 minutes into my run before the Nike+ app locks onto GPS, which screws up my run stats.

SimleuqiR

kinggroin

Banned
PhoneDog has a two part head to head on the S3 and the Nexus.

Spoiler
he picks the S3, but by a small margin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-cwLFnYvLw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk2CUO8ycoU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The S3 is a beast, even the usa version. I actually held one at work and like the feel and how thin it is.

Though Samsung has added some useful customizations , they've manage to muck up the ui too much for my taste.

Yeah. Its insanely fast, but pretty damn ugly. I imagine with a stock JB rom, it may be the phone to beat.

As it stands, I'd still take the GN over it.

Top Bottom