• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

malyce

it's a perfect Google experience.

the perfect Android experience is up to the user.

oMRss.gif

Pachimari

So the last time I had an Android device was the HTC Magic, 3 years ago and I only had stock and not that many apps.

Now I have had a Galaxy Nexus for a day and it's a very nice phone. It's big though, maybe a little too big and I have big hands. It probably comes down to just getting used to it. I LOVE that screen by the way.

I don't think the spelling experience has been as good as iPhone either, I actually think the iPhone handles spelling and keyboard better.

Though I really like this phone and thanks to fantastic help I now have Jelly Bean on my device. Especially the voice stuff is impressing me immensely. Google Now is fun and I'm surprised I can tell it to find direction for me here in Denmark. It's also very precise and often spells what you are saying correctly.

I really like the build in sharing to social networks, all of the little options and the openness of the Android platform.

I think I might like Galaxy Nexus more than my iPhone 4 but it could be due to it being new. I have yet to try it out with data outside but hopefully it can tell me about transits and directions. Gonna be exciting.

Oh, and the design of the phone is top class. In the league of iPhone 4 and Nokia Lumia 800.

th3dude

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

kehs

Banned
Just came across a bug on gsm jb...ugh might be enough for me to switch back.

Starting Bluetooth WiFi WiFi on will kill cell connection. You gotta cycle through them to get everything working again. Bah.

Also I just realized the pictures I thought I had saved....I didn't. I guess its time to start taking advantage of instant upload.

e: Maybe not, T-Mobile having an outage coincidentally.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/2/3133983/t-mobile-suffering-data-outage

Futureman

I'm often seeing two settings in my recent apps in the app switcher. Weird.

I can't connect to the wifi in my apartment. WIFI is on, I go to settings, touch WIFI, and select my router (secured with WPA2). When I select that, I choose "Connect" and then it never prompts me for my password and doesn't connect.

??

tenchir

Did you try plugging it into your PC to see whether or not it's detected there?

Also, I'm pretty sure Samsung will repair it but at a significant cost.

Yup, plugged it in and I don't see the OMAP 4440 device on the device manager or in the USB taskbar. It won't respond to anything I do.

reKon

Banned
Lightflow keeps not working for me =[. I guess when I close swipe out of it from recent apps, it closes it down completely. It didn't do that for me on any other rom I used

2nd day Tuna owner here dropping in to say Hi.

Loving the device.

Rooted it yesterday and put JB on it. It was not easy for me being a total noob, but thankfully I am good at following directions so now that's what I am running. So far so good!

Pachimari

Loving the device.

Rooted it yesterday and put JB on it. It was not easy for me being a total noob, but thankfully I am good at following directions so now that's what I am running. So far so good!
Seems like we have been through the same. I got fantastic instructions yesterday as well, so now I'm rocking Jelly Bean on Galaxy Nexus as well. But I really have to get used to that keyboard and its spelling.

I love the OS and design, also the screen actually, but I might still prefer 3.5". :)
Anyway, it's nice to both have iOS and Android.

I love the OS and design, also the screen actually, but I might still prefer 3.5". :)
Anyway, it's nice to both have iOS and Android.

The screen might be the best thing about it. Since the phone itself is so thin, it actually fits in my pocket nicely.

I'd still pick 3.5" if I had to, though, since the real estate really adds nothing and I have fucking eagle eyes.

Mrcapcom

Ok first of all I fixed my GPS Issues it seems for JB
I have this ROM
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/28486-ro...-in-op-for-stock-kernel-added-112am-06302012/
Flashed Stock Kernel in OP ^
And Flashed this for GPS:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/21453-optimal-gps-settings-for-galaxy-nexus-cdma/

Now everything runs perfect and the only issue is the volume might seem a bit low (maybe just me nitpicking) But love this rom will be daily driver for awhile till I find more bugs.

I also noticed I DicePlayer won't work for JB I emailed the developer hopefully he fixes it.

Oh and I found this in my glove compartment this morning:
IMG_20120703_091952.jpg

th3dude

Ok first of all I fixed my GPS Issues it seems for JB
I have this ROM
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/28486-ro...-in-op-for-stock-kernel-added-112am-06302012/
Flashed Stock Kernel in OP ^
And Flashed this for GPS:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/21453-optimal-gps-settings-for-galaxy-nexus-cdma/

Now everything runs perfect and the only issue is the volume might seem a bit low (maybe just me nitpicking) But love this rom will be daily driver for awhile till I find more bugs.

I also noticed I DicePlayer won't work for JB I emailed the developer hopefully he fixes it.

Oh and I found this in my glove compartment this morning:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8LK0462LzcA/T_LxrFK5IUI/AAAAAAAALL8/G5fw0XklXKk/s941/IMG_20120703_091952.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

This fixed my GPS issue as well. I'm running Jelly Belly 1.7 (soon 1.8) though.

Mrcapcom

For me it was saying I was like 100 feet away from where I actually was and the lock would take more than it should
EDIT: It was mostly in Navigation in Maps itself it was accurate up to 30meters which was weird

Pachimari

I wonder if mine have the same issues, I'll test it next week when I get my Micro SIM>SIM adapter.

Can I see what version I am on? 1, 2 or 3.

daoster

So does v3 fix the gps issue? I'm still on v1 and its working well... Should I even upgrade to v3? I'm getting kinda sick of having to redownload everything.. Lol

malyce

So I've decided to take the JB plunge. GSM Nexus is easy, right?

If you're already have the drivers and Android SDK installed on your machine, it should take you no longer than 30 mins. If you plan on running a virgin 4.1 Jellybean with the hopes of receiving OTA updates... well that's another story.

Loving the device.

Which guide did you follow? Im looking to do the same.

thespot84

I switched to the Franco JB Kernel. JB has been a battery killer :(. Maybe I've just been messing around with it more because it's new though.

YEah that's surprising. granted I haven't replaced all my apps yet (i download as I need) but the battery in JB has been great so far.

womp

Is it stock? Does it preserve your info/apps?

It's the leak from the keynote. It's stock. The only thing the dev is doing in that thread is optimizing it and fixing it up to work the best way possible and IMO it is the best of the JB ROMs floating around at the moment. Works fantastic and is updated daily or so.

Super fast performance and everything is working.

When you log in, I haven't chosen for it to restore my apps, instead I just go down the list and manually reinstall so I am not sure if it will restore apps automatically or not, however, contacts, info etc etc from Google cloud? All good to go.

Battery life for Jelly Bean, for me, seems to be pretty on par with ICS so far from my experience. I think there is a lot of 'playing around more than usual' stuff going around. ;)

As a side note, I am still on Jelly Belly 1.6 (It's at 1.8 as of now, just haven't had time to update it), and my GPS has been working fine. Took a few moments to lock on with voice navigation however my wife and I used it fine over the weekend for directions - worked like a champ. As I said, easily a daily driver and I used no mods or fixes on top of the normal ROM installation.

IMO it is the best JB ROM going at the moment.....Until Google releases source and AOKP gets their hands on it that is!

tenchir

Went to a TMobile store today and got myself a SIII, it was great when it was working but there really isn't a reason for me to buy another one with the S3 out.

So I got my Galaxy Nexus and I am almost done customizing it... I just wanted to see if anyone knew of any good notification sounds specifically dealing with the simpsons?

zedge

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...date-to-galaxy-nexus-to-avoid-injunction-ban/

Jelly Bean OTA sooner than expected?

According to AllThingsD, Google is working quickly to release a software patch to its Galaxy Nexus handset in order to avoid a preliminary injunction sales ban in the US. Google says the patch will be coming very soon (eg, tonight). The news came hot on the heels of Judge Koh's denial of Samsung motion to stay the ban while it appealed the injunction to the circuit court.

quaere

So is everyone ready for the over the air update that removes functionality from your phone? Surprised it hasn't been posted yet. On my phone so not going to link but go to the Verge.

zedge

No, it's not Jelly Bean. It's a patch that will limit the Google search bar on ICS to only do web searches and not searches of local content. This whole patent thing can't get any worse. We need the system fixed badly.

Ah. Yes this is so stupid. I think this Lucy Koh is on Apples payroll..

SimleuqiR

No, it's not Jelly Bean. It's a patch that will limit the Google search bar on ICS to only do web searches and not searches of local content. This whole patent thing can't get any worse. We need the system fixed badly.

Wait, so Google can't have this ability in their phones even if the way they accomplished it (code) is totally different?

So why not patent an application store. Or OTA updates. What bullshit is this?

Wow, Apple is willing to lose 96 million dollars for this? If they lose, this will make what Oracle spent on trial going after Android a smart business move - which it wasn't.

kinggroin

Banned
Not sure who I'm more upset with, Apple for seeking an injunction, the judge for granting it, or Google for taking it in the keister.

Top Bottom