• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
PhoneDog has a two part head to head on the S3 and the Nexus.

Spoiler
he picks the S3, but by a small margin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-cwLFnYvLw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk2CUO8ycoU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The S3 is a beast, even the usa version. I actually held one at work and like the feel and how thin it is.

Though Samsung has added some useful customizations , they've manage to muck up the ui too much for my taste.

4.8 inch vs. 4.65 but the Nexus screen looks so much smaller with on screen buttons.

Pachimari

Am I doing this right?

01) Put my Nexus into 'Debug mode' and connected it to my Windows 7 PC.
02) Started up Toolkit v1.4 and selected my device 'GSM 4.0.2'
03) I attempt to do a 'back up of data/media + apps and shared' but I need to configure drivers first apparently.
04) So I go into 'driver setup'. But this seems so complicated to me. Do I need to install the Samsung drivers and generally just follow that build-in guide?

I ultimately just need Jelly Bean on my Nexus. But I have to unlock and root first.

Bg3fp.jpg

JoeFu

Banned
Am I doing this right?

01) Put my Nexus into 'Debug mode' and connected it to my Windows 7 PC.
02) Started up Toolkit v1.4 and selected my device 'GSM 4.0.2'
03) I attempt to do a 'back up of data/media + apps and shared' but I need to configure drivers first apparently.
04) So I go into 'driver setup'. But this seems so complicated to me. Do I need to install the Samsung drivers and generally just follow that build-in guide?

I ultimately just need Jelly Bean on my Nexus. But I have to unlock and root first.

For the drivers I just installed the PdaNet ones because my computer couldn't find them.

Nova launcher allows you to manipulate the dock in many ways including the ability to easily the change the icon to anything you want. I downloaded a icon pack and was able to change each of the icons in minutes.

For the days of the week and date, I used the app minimalistic text and created custom layouts for 1 x 5 and 2 x 3 widgets (around that size)

Thank you!

Pachimari

How do I get out of the bootloader on my Nexus? =/

EDIT: I just pulled out the battery and put it back in to get out of the 'fast bootlader',

thespot84

V3, that came out the same day I decided to upgrade to JB. It might just be the Nike+ app, I'm gonna go out to dinner later and see if I have the same problem with Waze and Maps.

let us know.

I'm trying to update to v3 now through rom manager but clockwordmod threw some error about backup path and then went into install anyways, now i have a green android with the spinny blue thing and it's been there for 10 min.

If the thing isn't completely borked i'm gonna try that gps .zip link from above

tenchir

My SGN is completely bricked. It won't turn on or display anything on screen. Tried the battery out, wait, then back in to turn on. It won't respond to button combinations(Vol+On), it won't charge(the back isn't warm when I touch the back), and it won't even display the OMAP device when I plug it into my computer with battery out in an attempt to repair the bootloader.

Worst part is that this is an import Nexus I bought 4 months ago, so I can't get Samsung to repair this at all. First thing when I got the phone is to replace the yakjuw build with the US yakju build and relock the bootloader afterward. The phone was working perfectly till now. It was working fine before I noticed the battery draining fast yesterday. I thought it was weird so I didn't charge it and wait till it's near 10% to charge it. As I was browsing it, the screen suddenly went weird and shut down. That's when I tried to recharge it and got nothing. Am I pretty much F#$@? If my phone even display something, then I know I can figure out how to fix it, but it display absolutely nothing when plugged into the computer. Am I completely out of 500 bucks?

malyce

My SGN is completely bricked. It won't turn on or display anything on screen. Tried the battery out, wait, then back in to turn on. It won't respond to button combinations(Vol+On), it won't charge(the back isn't warm when I touch the back), and it won't even display the OMAP device when I plug it into my computer with battery out in an attempt to repair the bootloader.

Worst part is that this is an import Nexus I bought 4 months ago, so I can't get Samsung to repair this at all. First thing when I got the phone is to replace the yakjuw build with the US yakju build and relock the bootloader afterward. The phone was working perfectly till now. It was working fine before I noticed the battery draining fast yesterday. I thought it was weird so I didn't charge it and wait till it's near 10% to charge it. As I was browsing it, the screen suddenly went weird and shut down. That's when I tried to recharge it and got nothing. Am I pretty much F#$@? If my phone even display something, then I know I can figure out how to fix it, but it display absolutely nothing when plugged into the computer. Am I completely out of 500 bucks?

Sounds really weird. Try a new battery? Odin?

tenchir

Sounds really weird. Try a new battery? Odin?

Already tried everything I can think of. The GN is just dead. Can't do Odin because my computer just doesn't detect the Nexus. I tried difference cables and different computers, none of them will detect the Nexus. I think the processor or some internal circuitry is fried.

Pachimari

This is what I did. Its a copy of the official rom and you'll be able to get official updates.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=28105262&postcount=296

------

The auto correct on jb is a little too aggressive. =|

I don't understand this guide though. I downloaded the file from step 1 onto my desktop and renamed it cwm.img but I don't get where /sd is located on my Galaxy Nexus on step 2. I don't think I have a fastboot file either. =/

It's this part I don't understand:
2) Download takju JRN84D from here to /sdcard on your phone. (This is Koush's repack.)

Pachimari

I'm really trying to get Jelly Bean onto my unlocked and rooted GSM Galaxy Nexus but should I follow this guide or this guide?

I'm really confused as to how to do all this.

I have created a folder on my desktop (I named it 'Galaxy') and then I have downloaded 7-zip to extract 'platform tools' into that folder which now contains the 'fastboot' file. What's next? Should I put a cwm.img into the same folder? How can I find /sd on my phone?

I think I'm pretty lost sorry.

kehs

Banned
I'm really trying to get Jelly Bean onto my unlocked and rooted GSM Galaxy Nexus but should I follow this guide or this guide?

I have created a folder on my desktop (I named it 'Galaxy') and then I have downloaded 7-zip to extract 'platform tools' into that folder which now contains the 'fastboot' file. What's next? Should I put a cwm.img into the same folder? How can I find /sd on my phone?

How did you go about rooting and unlocking? If you used the nexus toolkit then you probably my already have cwm installed since its part of the one click install.

The sdcard is just the root directory of storage. So just put the files in the main directory when you view the device through windows explorer.

malyce

Send me a PM.

Pachimari

How did you go about rooting and unlocking? If you used the nexus toolkit then you probably my already have cwm installed since its part of the one click install.

The sdcard is just the root directory of storage. So just put the files in the main directory when you view the device through windows explorer.
I don't think I did a 'one-click install' though. I first installed drivers, then did a unlock and then a root in Toolkit 1.4.

Send me a PM.
PM sent.

Hopefully I'll be able to get Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus, that's the reason I bought the device (even though I have an iPhone 4) in the first place. Project Butter and Google Now+Voice impressed me.

malyce

I don't think I did a 'one-click install' though. I first installed drivers, then did a unlock and then a root in Toolkit 1.4.

PM sent.

Hopefully I'll be able to get Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus, that's the reason I bought the device (even though I have an iPhone 4) in the first place. Project Butter and Google Now+Voice impressed me.

Weird... my inbox is empty, but I sent you a PM.

Mrcapcom

I had the same issue with GPS in the initial GB release I was on version 3 now im gonna flash Vicious Version 3 see how GPS is then. In Maps it would work prefectly but when in the actual navigation part it though I was doing donuts and jumps into massive lakes while on 95

JordanKZ

Did you try plugging it into your PC to see whether or not it's detected there?

Also, I'm pretty sure Samsung will repair it but at a significant cost.

Chorazin

Guys, if you're using the Franco kernel that comes with the Vicious JB ROM, flash the stock kernel ASAP. The phone feels so much faster now, everything is loading near instantly. So weird jank when you tap an app and it just sot there for a second or two thinking about it.

I'm not sure if this fixes the GPS issue (I'm gonna try and get GPS when I go outside at lunch) but it feels a ton better!

kinggroin

Banned
Guys, if you're using the Franco kernel that comes with the Vicious JB ROM, flash the stock kernel ASAP. The phone feels so much faster now, everything is loading near instantly. So weird jank when you tap an app and it just sot there for a second or two thinking about it.

I'm not sure if this fixes the GPS issue (I'm gonna try and get GPS when I go outside at lunch) but it feels a ton better!

Ah! So those weird waits are a fault of Franco!? Link to the kernel?

Cop, you reading this?

Chorazin

Ah! So those weird waits are a fault of Franco!? Link to the kernel?

Cop, you reading this?

It's actually linked on the root wiki page for the Vicious ROM, right under the info about the ROM. Seems like most things are running smoother for me using the stock ROM, based on a few hours use.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm using a stock version of JB, they're still there though, it only happens with a few apps though (G+/Pulse/Currents).

Chorazin, you reading this?

Edit: In all seriousness, I think I'll just stick with Franco then. I bet the perceived performance improvements come from cache wipes or placebo (not a setting in cwm).

Husker86

I have yet to have a good experience with any Franco kernel.
Thanks for letting us know! Definitely made a difference.

Emily Chu

Banned
about dat Jelly bean

anyone just waiting for AOKP to release there version ?

been using AOKP since day one

best custom rom there is imo

they don't release or develope it until Google releases the source code right ?

thespot84

just a heads up, i think the CWM that ROM Manager tries to push onto the tuna (at least the toro) is completely borked. I had CWM installed from the gnex toolkit, which worked fine to get JB installed, and then I installed rom manager and flashed cwm recovery from the app to see if i could get a newer version (it was the same), except this time the volume up/down buttons go up and down many lines at a time and i can't select things with the power button, YMMV but beware.

kinggroin

Banned
just a heads up, i think the CWM that ROM Manager tries to push onto the tuna (at least the toro) is completely borked. I had CWM installed from the gnex toolkit, which worked fine to get JB installed, and then I installed rom manager and flashed cwm recovery from the app to see if i could get a newer version (it was the same), except this time the volume up/down buttons go up and down many lines at a time and i can't select things with the power button, YMMV but beware.

That's an old build of cwm. If you use the gnex toolkit, you should have cwm touch version 5.5.8 I believe

thespot84

That's an old build of cwm. If you use the gnex toolkit, you should have cwm touch version 5.5.8 I believe

yeah i reflashed with the toolkit to get it, and it works fine now, except I lost root, so hopefully restoring a backup from yesterday fixes that *Facepalm*

malyce

As much as CM's motto is dont ask for release dates, AOKP has them beat. JB is 2 weeks away and there's yet to be a final CM9 build. Meahwhile, there have been 5 Milestone releases.

th3dude

about dat Jelly bean

anyone just waiting for AOKP to release there version ?

been using AOKP since day one

best custom rom there is imo

they don't release or develope it until Google releases the source code right ?

Right. Expect the source code to drop around the time of the Nexus 7 release/push of 4.1 to initial Nexus devices.

From there, maybe a few days to start putting out nightly builds? Shouldn't take toooo long since there aren't huge differences code-wise.

As much as CM's motto is dont ask for release dates, AOKP has them beat. JB is 2 weeks away and there's yet to be a final CM9 build. Meahwhile, there have been 5 Milestone releases.

I actually disagree.

To me, a release candidate is better than a milestone. You can set milestones wherever you want. Release Candidate means they are finished and just doing a final test.

Mordeccai

Wow, Jellybean is seriously beautiful on the GN. Smoothest my phone has ever run. Hoping the battery life is alright, flashed lean kernel on it and gonna let it run for a few days.

Google Now is amazing. And I LOVE the notification redesign, especially pinch to zoom on notifications. (Pinch out on your gmail notification... awesome!)

malyce

Right. Expect the source code to drop around the time of the Nexus 7 release/push of 4.1 to initial Nexus devices.

From there, maybe a few days to start putting out nightly builds? Shouldn't take toooo long since there aren't huge differences code-wise.

I actually disagree.

To me, a release candidate is better than a milestone. You can set milestones wherever you want. Release Candidate means they are finished and just doing a final test.

The thing is, with AOKP there was never really a problem with stability. Especially with the GNex where it was stable after the first few builds, but the customization and features of AOKP outweigh the waiting for a perfect CM9 build. CM9 is at RC now, and still doesn't match the features of an AOKP build.

th3dude

The thing is, with AOKP there was never really a problem with stability. Especially with the GNex where it was stable after the first few builds, but the customization and features of AOKP outweigh the waiting for a perfect CM9 build. CM9 is at RC now, and still doesn't match the features of an AOKP build.

Can't argue that. I'll also admit that I was running the AOKP milestones instead of the CM9 nightlies.

I'd definitely put money on AOKP hitting 4.1 hard when it comes out.

Guys, please fill me in. Why would I still flash those ROMs, Windows Mobile style, on a pure Google device? Isn't it supposed to be the perfect Android experience?

Top Bottom