• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

kinggroin

Banned
....wait hold on.... are you saying there's no way to search the system for emails or text messages from anywhere outside the apps themselves?

Pleeeeaaase tell me this is a fucking joke. If this goes through, is there any chance it can be reversed by a later appeal?

Fuck almighty....FUCK ALMIGHTY, this is the most disturbing outcome from all these bullshit litigations. Damn innovation and progress, damn competition.

What a horrible fucking precedent.

gutshot

The thing I don't get is the injunction only exists to block future sales of the phone, so why does Samsung have to push out a patch removing the functionality from existing users? Can't they just add the patch to all the phones that they sell going forward to mollify the judge and get around the injunction? It really sucks that existing customers are getting screwed over and losing functionality on their device, a functionality that they were promised when they purchased the phone.

womp

I got some kerosene and matches...getting a list of Apple store locations right now....

WHO'S WITH ME?!?!

At the very least their magazine racks will look ready for a knock over.

kehs

Banned
I'm getting around the same performance withLTE off.

It might just be me being excited for a new update, but standby seems even better than ICS. Screen on time is about the same.

Still can't break 3.5 hours.

Definitely seems better, I've been using it more today than normal, and by now it's usually getting the low battery warning(15%).

kinggroin

Banned
Which jelly bean Rom is the best right now

Jelly belly 1.9 and the latest faux jb kernel seem to be the fastest. My test?

I tell search to do a barrel roll just after a reboot and cache clear. Whichever kernel stutters the least in that animation, is the best. Faux kernel is the only one that didn't stutter at all.

Science.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
omg, this is lame. I was unsure of whether or not getting a Nexus from the Play Store and now I can't in the event that I'd change my mind. It says, "notify when it becomes available". :|

SimleuqiR

http://www.chatopus.com/articles/palm_search.html

Palm OS has been around for over 10 years. There are many good things on it. On this short article, we are going to show you its Global Find. Coincidentally, the next-generation of Palm OS, called webOS, also has a similar feature called Universal Search. But the same feature is not available on Apple's iPhone until version 3.0 (due in Summer 2009). So if you are lucky enough to have a Palm OS device, read on.

palm_search_result.jpg

eternal-facepalm-eternal-facepalm-facepalm-captain-pickard-demotivational-poster-12422642591-300x225.jpg

kehs

Banned
Considering the judge in question didn't accept the previous prior art for the trade dress infringement, I'm not sure she'll accept this either.

womp

I'm on vicious... ugh. I don't want to reflash againnnn

Haven't tried Vicious, but I did try Vanirbean and it totally borked my phone....Jelly Belly came out of no where and the dev is on a rampage optimizing it. It's damn near flawless at this point, albeit stock...But I will take stock for the stability.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Vicious has been working out pretty well for me (battery life kind of sucks, though). I'm going to try Jelly Belly soon. The versions are coming out so quick it's hard to keep up.

teiresias

Considering the judge in question didn't accept the previous prior art for the trade dress infringement, I'm not sure she'll accept this either.

Her plugging her ears up and essentially saying "Lalalalala . . . can't hear you" to actual prior art is embarrassing for the justice system and herself if she intends to keep hearing IP cases.

womp

Vicious has been working out pretty well for me (battery life kind of sucks, though). I'm going to try Jelly Belly soon. The versions are coming out so quick it's hard to keep up.

A simple wipe cache only, flash the latest ROM update, and the GAPPS and done too. Boots right up! :)

reKon

Banned
Google now worked very well today before as it notified me with all the map info before my CPA exam. Too bad the GPS wasn't working well...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Google could've, you know, just licensed those patents.

That would make them complacent in a broken system. Do No Evil.

Hey you know what Google's doing with the mountain of patents they got from Motorola? Not fucking suing the dicks off of other companies for being a competitive threat.

That would make them complacent in a broken system. Do No Evil.

Hey you know what Google's doing with the mountain of patents they got from Motorola? Not fucking suing the dicks off of other companies for being a competitive threat.

They bought that mountain of patents to protect themselves and the ecosystem from shit like that. Look how well that worked. Motorola is the last big OEM that didn't buy the licenses from Microsoft and Apple banned the Galaxy Nexus. 12.5 billion well spent, I'd say.

And lol @ Do No Evil. Those times are over.

Can we just have one (1) Android thread I actually care about not go down the road of "fuck Apple, man!"?

And if so: Can it be this one?

and if Apple suing Google over a search bar for apps, which is a fucking terrible solution to begin with, leads to Google coming up with a better way to open/store our apps then we should be happy about it.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The search bar isn't for apps. It's not a 'solution' for apps, or launching apps. They are suing for a search bar that searches multiple locations and gives results back from those different locations. It's ridiculous because other mobile operating systems have been doing this before Apple got their patent.

gcubed

Can we just have one (1) Android thread I actually care about not go down the road of "fuck Apple, man!"?

and if Apple suing Google over a search bar for apps, which is a fucking terrible solution to begin with, leads to Google coming up with a better way to open/store our apps then we should be happy about it.

Why this thread when it directly affects this device and is a shit patent. That's a perfect storm of "fuck Apple"

Blackhead

Redarse

Hahah

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Jesus. I've owned an iOS and an Android device since the dawn of time. Suddenly this guy gets an Android phone and he thinks he's going to be the one to tear down the Berlin Wall, in a thread where Apple's actions have directly affected the phone the thread relates to.

kinggroin

Banned

This case directly affects the quality of Android for the worse. Maybe Google comes up with a new alternative, but until then, a patch that removes a capability we all used is definitely a legitimate reason to get steamed.

No offense mescaline, but there is always the official iPhone thread to shield yourself from this backlash.

gutshot

So we're gonna get JB sooner because of this? I can live with that. Plus I no longer care that they uglied up the search bar as it is so gimped now that I will just remove it.

Cudder

Does anyone have a problem with alarms where it doesn't show the Label for the alarm once it goes off? Probably happens about 85% of the time, I have no idea why it appears sometimes but not others.

Pachimari

What are Google removing? The universal search? So we won't be able to search for apps on the phone anymore?
And is this patch only for US or worldwide?

So you guys remember that rumor about 5 Nexus devices?

1. Nexus 7
2. Nexus Q
3. ????????
4. ????????
5. ????????

I reckon we'll get a new Nexus phone, a Nexus 10, and a Nexus TV.
Wonder if we'll see that phone this year.

Futureman

there has been a Nexus phone released every December/Jan for the past 3 years. So yea probably.

and I thought the rumor was that there would be multiple manufacturers releasing a Nexus phone later this year, not that there would be 5 Nexus devices. May be wrong on that though.

SimleuqiR

So you guys remember that rumor about 5 Nexus devices?

1. Nexus 7
2. Nexus Q
3. ????????
4. ????????
5. ????????

I reckon we'll get a new Nexus phone, a Nexus 10, and a Nexus TV.

The New nexus phone will be revealed in November -December. I would buy a Nexus Google TV (box) in a heart beat. And a 10" tablet seems to be in the pipe line.

there has been a Nexus phone released every December/Jan for the past 3 years. So yea probably.

and I thought the rumor was that there would be multiple manufacturers releasing a Nexus phone later this year, not that there would be 5 Nexus devices. May be wrong on that though.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/15/google-planning-multiple-nexus-devices-android-jelly-bean/

Looks like 5 devices. And they could all come from different manufacturers (Asus, whoever made the Q, probably Samsung, HTC, and Moto)

womp

I hope they're not rushing the release of 4.1 because of this.

Google could've, you know, just licensed those patents.

Considering they said Jelly Bean would be released sometime in 'mid July' I don't see it as being a rush necessarily. Plus, after playing with the leaked JB ROM for the past five days it is solid as hell and easily ready for prime time outside what I am sure are a few tweaks that the Google guys have already been hard at work on.

The good thing about all this though? The Verizon Galaxy Nexus OTA for JB probably won't have to wait 3-4 months to arrive after Google drops it for everyone *else* in the free world. >:|

Top Bottom