• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Emily Chu

Banned
Apple can officially go die in a fucking fire.

That judge is an idiot for upholding the injunction.

Ironic that the only update that gets the fast track is the one meant to remove features.

Maybe not, that's what Apple thrives on.

Verge story, they're removing the ability to search through apps.

https://www.google.com/producer/edi...nMMqOBjD38Ak/google_hopes_to_escape_galaxy_ne

Does this have any effect on custom roms here on in ?

because by god if it does I'm taking a fucking FIRE AXE to my sisters apple products
Macbook, iPad, and iPhone....

it's not even the fact that my phone is illegal now, but when you start removing features that were once there on account of Apples fucking Patent lawsuits that is when.............

gvunG.gif

FUCK YOU APPLE FUCK YOU IN HELL

reKon

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_H._Koh

Lolllll

"She is the first Asian American United States District Court Judge in the Northern District of California to take bribes from apple, the first District Court Judge of Korean descent in the United States, the first female Korean American Article III judge, and the second Korean American federal judge, after Herbert Choy of the Ninth Circuit."

bananas

Banned
oh! That won't slow things down at all.

Your argument was that coder would spend more time embroiled in looking for patent licenses rather than coding. I rebutted with saying that they already don't do that, lawyers do.

And it isn't really hard to track down patients. There is a database of theme. It then becomes a question of working with the owner to get permission to use it.

kehs

Banned
Your argument was that coder would spend more time embroiled in looking for patent licenses rather than coding. I rebutted with saying that they already don't do that, lawyers do.

And it isn't really hard to track down patients. There is a database of theme. It then becomes a question of working with the owner to get permission to use it.

A laywer would have to sit down next to a coder as they code to make sure they're not infringing on software patents. Illegitimate software patents that might just cover nearly every single aspect of code.

That's the reason they separate the coding from the legal side. They'd spend more time(and money) tracking down patents than they would coding the project or making profits from them.

have you not read any articles on this? pretty much everyone agrees that it's easier to just do whattever you're going to do and worry about what patents could potentially be infringed on after. the entire system is a mess.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You get the coders to code and the lawyers to handle patent issues, smartass.

LOL!

teiresias

Haha, anyone who says this with a straight face - as if it's a simple matter to search the patent database and find every patent that might be relevant to what you might be doing or every patent that might count as prior art for a patent you're thinking of trying to file, has obviously never done an actual patent search. As an engineer, it was quite possibly one of the most horrendous things I've ever had to do.

thespot84

Silly question time: The phone doesn't charge over USB?

the phone will charge with 12v over USB, and to the best of my knowledge that will work on v1, v2 and v3.

Are you trying to charge through a non-powered USB hub?

EDIT: So i flashed that .zip for the gps fix, installed faster gps to set the US server, and I'm monitoring with GPS Status...

My phone sees around 7-8 satellites, shows grey/blue bars for 5 or so seconds, then everything resets (the gps, not the phone) and it starts over, and it keeps doing that indefinitely and won't lock. Anyone else having this issue?

Anyone having trouble with the News and Weather app since the 4.0.4 update? Every time I click the "I" button for more weather info, the app crashes.

kehs

Banned
Anyone having trouble with the News and Weather app since the 4.0.4 update? Every time I click the "I" button for more weather info, the app crashes.

Chances are you have forced acceleration on. That's cause the crash on the very old app. It's been fixed in 4.1

Fox318

Can someone explain why jelly belly has the Google apps separate? And is there any compilations as to flashing both the apps and the ROM.

kehs

Banned
Has 4.1 fixed apps misbehaving with forced GPU acceleration turned on?

Not sure, I can test some apps if you name some, the only ones I had trouble with were news & weather and yahoo messenger. They were both updated so I'm not sure if that's what fixed them.

womp

Can someone explain why jelly belly has the Google apps separate? And is there any compilations as to flashing both the apps and the ROM.

It's kind of a Google rules of etiquette thing as Google frowns upon it. Technically none of these ROMs are supposed to have GAPPS included, yet many of them do. You know how some of those cheap ass Android tablets don't even have the Google Market/Play preinstalled? There ya go. Besides, what I like is that you can go into the zip and remove the apk's for apps you don't want preinstalled, such as Books, or Movies et al separately.

Compilations? Do you mean compunctions? :)

No...You wipe data/cache/dalvik then flash the ROM and then GAPPS and reboot for a clean install, or just wipe the cache and reflash the GAPPS if you are upgrading this particular ROM.

Mordeccai

Been on Liquid Vicious for a few days now and the battery life is abysmal with stock kernal. Gonna flash Jelly Belly linked in here earlier to see if its any better.

By abysmal, I mean I can turn on my phone and watch the battery percent tick down. Get maybe an hour of screen time with this thing, and this was after a complete wipe and fresh clean install.

Husker86

Been on Liquid Vicious for a few days now and the battery life is abysmal with stock kernal. Gonna flash Jelly Belly linked in here earlier to see if its any better.

By abysmal, I mean I can turn on my phone and watch the battery percent tick down. Get maybe an hour of screen time with this thing, and this was after a complete wipe and fresh clean install.

What is Liquid Vicious? Do you mean DroidVicious' JB ROM? That's the only one I've used so far and my battery life is really impressive (also on stock kernel, really don't like Franco's). Standby is super good, screen on time is about the same as I was getting with ICS, maybe a hair better.

the phone will charge with 12v over USB, and to the best of my knowledge that will work on v1, v2 and v3.

Are you trying to charge through a non-powered USB hub?

Nope, I used the same USB cable and port that I used before to charge my old phone. It worked as soon as I used the Samsung cable.

thespot84

Nope, I used the same USB cable and port that I used before to charge my old phone. It worked as soon as I used the Samsung cable.

I know there's a separate pin used in USB3 that's not in 1 or 2, but i haven't seen that issue pop up with the tuna, only my transformer, so i have no clue :/

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
On Jelly Belly 2.1 now, definitely smoother than Vicious V3 (and I was getting pretty bad battery life with it too). Stock Linaro kernel so far.

Pachimari

Do any of you have an Expertshield screen protector on your Galaxy Nexus?

Just received mine today but I'm not sure I installed it correctly, I seriously can't see it on my phone... =/

EDIT:
Nevermind, I found out I didn't apply the protector properly.

Nicktendo86

Do any of you have an Expertshield screen protector on your Galaxy Nexus?

Just received mine today but I'm not sure I installed it correctly, I seriously can't see it on my phone... =/

EDIT:
Nevermind, I found out I didn't apply the protector properly.

I have one but just seen your edit. It says it is washable but not sure how that would work :S

It's good to have a phone with an OLED display again. I can see the pentile grid, but it's not as bad as with the older, lower res models. Mobile GAF with the dark theme looks great.

womp

On Jelly Belly 2.1 now, definitely smoother than Vicious V3 (and I was getting pretty bad battery life with it too). Stock Linaro kernel so far.

Jelly Belly 2.1 is fantastic, I love that the GPS lock on issues seem to be finally solved - I got a lock on out on my patio within seconds after testing. :)

Pachimari

My phone gets 15h of battery life before it drains, is that normal? I think it uses a lot of battery while in standby but I'm not sure.

womp

My phone gets 15h of battery life before it drains, is that normal? I think it uses a lot of battery while in standby but I'm not sure.

I stopped judging battery life in these phones at this point. No matter what you do, they are going to suck juice. Just accept that it needs to be plugged in every night and it will make your life a whole lot better. Everyone has a different daily usage but as a rule of thumb a GNex can easily make it through a full work day with 30% left to play by evening so yeah, 15h is pretty on the mark.

I always crack up when I see guys post screen shots of their 20 hour GNex battery life where it has basically been in standby all day with like two hours of web/screen time usage and proclaim "This <insert kernel here> is just wonderful!" . :)

Fox318

It's kind of a Google rules of etiquette thing as Google frowns upon it. Technically none of these ROMs are supposed to have GAPPS included, yet many of them do. You know how some of those cheap ass Android tablets don't even have the Google Market/Play preinstalled? There ya go. Besides, what I like is that you can go into the zip and remove the apk's for apps you don't want preinstalled, such as Books, or Movies et al separately.

Compilations? Do you mean compunctions? :)

No...You wipe data/cache/dalvik then flash the ROM and then GAPPS and reboot for a clean install, or just wipe the cache and reflash the GAPPS if you are upgrading this particular ROM.

Thank you so much.

Jelly Belly 2.1 is sooooooo much better than vicious

Pachimari

It's not that I'm judging the battery life, I just wanted to make sure, that my battery were normal after flashing and installing Jelly Bean. :)

In fact, I were impressed that I didn't have to charge it for one and a half day (even though I didn't use it much in that time period).

And if I am running stock Jelly Bean by flashing, I am not running Vicious or Jelly Belly right?

womp

It's not that I'm judging the battery life, I just wanted to make sure, that my battery were normal after flashing and installing Jelly Bean. :)

In fact, I were impressed that I didn't have to charge it for one and a half day (even though I didn't use it much in that time period).

And if I am running stock Jelly Bean by flashing, I am not running Vicious or Jelly Belly right?

Oh I understand...I just thought I would try to save you some grief - being a slave to that battery indicator gets maddening. :D 15 hours (Give or take) sounds about right in realistic daily usage IMO.

Vicious and Jelly Belly are *based* off the stock GSM Jelly Bean that was at the Google IO conference last week. The differences between them and other custom JB ROMs that have popped up are merely what each of their devs have done to them after the fact.

Nicktendo86

Sounds about right, I get about 12 hours daily usage but I am a heavy user. The screen is by far the biggest battery killer, I have my brightness set to about 60% which obviously saves a bit more than 100% but is still nice and bright.

This is how far I got with one full charge:

XZYzZ.png

Top three suckers were
1. Screen, with 59% (had it on auto brightness, put it on 50% now)
2. Dolphin, with 12% (just browsing GAF)
3. Spotify, with 6%

It lasts a work day, which isn't that great, because the phone would be dead when I'm home.

Top Bottom