• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

kehs

Banned
I'm now in ROM city.

facepalm.jpg

kehs

Banned
Sounds like a magical place.

It's more like a seedy underbelly of the tech world.

Notes to anybody who wants to start romming

CWM doesn't have USB mounting capabilities yet for the GN. >=(

Google Music Cache is included in the CWM backups. >=(

)=<

sidenote: Have you checked out WP launcher? I'm curious to see what someone coming from WP thinks of it.

It's more like a seedy underbelly of the tech world.

Notes to anybody who wants to start romming

CWM doesn't have USB mounting capabilities yet for the GN. >=(

Google Music Cache is included in the CWM backups. >=(

)=<

sidenote: Have you checked out WP launcher? I'm curious to see what someone coming from WP thinks of it.

You should've waited for the JB update that comes out next week!

And no, I haven't tried WP launcher. Maybe I should.

e: I did now and holy shit it this terrible. Like in every possible way. Scrolling doesn't feel smooth or right (no bouncing back), swiping from the app list back to the pinned tiles doesn't really work and everything about it is just bad. I can't believe anyone wants to use this crap.

kehs

Banned
You should've waited for the JB update that comes out next week!

And no, I haven't tried WP launcher. Maybe I should.

e: I did now and holy shit it this terrible. Like in every possible way. Scrolling doesn't feel smooth or right (no bouncing back), swiping from the app list back to the pinned tiles doesn't really work and everything about it is just bad. I can't believe anyone wants to use this crap.

Crazy talk. I need a link to the one you're using cause it can't be the same one I'm using.

Launcher 7 btw is what I use.

Nekrono

So as I'm waiting for my Galaxy Nexus to arrive I'm thinking I should probably buy a case for it since I tend to drop a lot the current phone I have a Galaxy Ace and this phone has been incredibly resistant but the big screen of the Nexus makes me worried it'll actually break.

Right now these are some of the best/not too expensive choices I've found:

Matte Back Black Flexible Revision 3 TPU Case & Screen Protector by Diztronic

Seidio Samsung Galaxy Nexus Surface

Which one do you guys recommend?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm now in ROM city.

facepalm.jpg

52% of the country has Android phones. That's a market that&#8217;s been dominated by OEM ROMs. Let's take some of that market. I call it "ROM City."

It's, like, "Hey, you want to go to XDA?" "Yeah, I don&#8217;t have an iPhone." I call it "Root City."

How do we filter out the iPhone users? We don&#8217;t let them in.

This goes for the WP7 users, too. Because sometimes the ROM makers are tapped out. But check your lease, man. Because you're living in **** City.

kehs

Banned
Yes, what I I tried was Launcher 7 and it's terrible compared to Windows Phone. Already deleted it. You really Copernicus'd me with that one.

Are you ICS or JB?

Perfomance was really shitty on ics but GB or JB.

LOL Andrex.

--

After messing around a couple of days with the nav bar turned off.... I'm gonna have to say on screen keys take up too much space. With that said, the GN looks even sexier when using an app in full screen mode. All you see is your content beautifully framed in black. Makes every full screen app feel amazing, and neogaf mobile seen like a native app.

rozay

Banned
Are you ICS or JB?

Perfomance was really shitty on ics but GB or JB.

A

LOL Andrex.

--

After messing around a couple of days with the nav bar turned off.... I'm gonna have to say on screen keys take up too much space. With that said, the GN looks even sexier when using an app in full screen mode. All you see is your content beautifully framed in black. Makes every full screen app feel amazing, and neogaf mobile seen like a native app.
nokia N9-like bezel swiping gestures to substitute for the app switcher (swipe up from the bottom), back(swipe right from the left bezel) and home (idk lol) would be amazing. Don't know how feasible they would be though

kehs

Banned
nokia N9-like bezel swiping gestures to substitute for the app switcher (swipe up from the bottom), back(swipe right from the left bezel) and home (idk lol) would be amazing. Don't know how feasible they would be though

Doesn't seem that hard to work it, the lmt launcher already has a lot of the necessary functions. It'd just be a matter of connecting the functions together.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You really didn't know?

There's a lot of emulators on there on Android. I figured it was commonly known by most people here
I didn't know there was a PlayStation one, especially since Sony can't even get that right on their own.

So as I'm waiting for my Galaxy Nexus to arrive I'm thinking I should probably buy a case for it since I tend to drop a lot the current phone I have a Galaxy Ace and this phone has been incredibly resistant but the big screen of the Nexus makes me worried it'll actually break.

Right now these are some of the best/not too expensive choices I've found:

Matte Back Black Flexible Revision 3 TPU Case & Screen Protector by Diztronic

Seidio Samsung Galaxy Nexus Surface

Which one do you guys recommend?

I use the Diztronic case on mine. It's super-cheap and does it's job and it's easy to remove when you need to clean your phone's screen.

snacknuts

we all knew her
52% of the country has Android phones. That's a market that’s been dominated by OEM ROMs. Let's take some of that market. I call it "ROM City."

It's, like, "Hey, you want to go to XDA?" "Yeah, I don’t have an iPhone." I call it "Root City."

How do we filter out the iPhone users? We don’t let them in.

This goes for the WP7 users, too. Because sometimes the ROM makers are tapped out. But check your lease, man. Because you're living in **** City.

You're fired.

After posting in the general Android thread the other day about why I picked the Razr Maxx over the Nexus, I have seen the error of my ways and am trading one out for the other. Looking forward to having a vanilla Android phone again.

Andrex' AD quote made my day.

My Galaxy is still too silent. Has anyone ever successfully made it louder? (music and ringer, mainly)
Volume+ doesn't work.

Mordeccai

My Galaxy is still too silent. Has anyone ever successfully made it louder? (music and ringer, mainly)
Volume+ doesn't work.

I forget which kernel it was, probably Franco, but there was a volume control setting that worked wonders for me. Volume+ is totally broken, but when I had that kernel on and turned up the volume boost god damn it was beautiful.

I know i'm not being much help because I'm not entirely certain, but I'm about 70% sure Franco has a volume boost option.

Also, what extended battery would you guys recommend for the VZW Gnex? The one straight from Verizon only gives an extra 250mAh, which is something, but honestly I don't use a case so I wouldn't mind finding a bigger battery that comes with a separate battery cover.

Fox318

I forget which kernel it was, probably Franco, but there was a volume control setting that worked wonders for me. Volume+ is totally broken, but when I had that kernel on and turned up the volume boost god damn it was beautiful.

I know i'm not being much help because I'm not entirely certain, but I'm about 70% sure Franco has a volume boost option.

Also, what extended battery would you guys recommend for the VZW Gnex? The one straight from Verizon only gives an extra 250mAh, which is something, but honestly I don't use a case so I wouldn't mind finding a bigger battery that comes with a separate battery cover.
The extended battery will fit most cases. Its not that big of a difference.

tirminyl

Volume+ doesn't work.

I was going to come in here to post this. Just got my GN and man it is silent compared to my EVO 4g I had. Really want to crank up the sound.

Mordeccai

The extended battery will fit most cases. Its not that big of a difference.

I'm not using a case, was wondering if anybody could reccomend a larger extended battery than the VZW one specifically because I don't mind a larger back to the phone or a different battery door to house it. That is, if they're worth it. If other batteries out there have higher mAh, but the difference isn't so great from the VZW one, was curious to know.

womp

I didn't know there was a PlayStation one, especially since Sony can't even get that right on their own.

A shame the Xperia Play didn't get much of a chance to be a great phone, because that emulator ran beautifully on it with the slider controller.

I'm on jellybean... what's franco kernel?

thespot84

I'm on jellybean... what's franco kernel?

kernels and ROMs are separate though they sometimes come packaged together. In short, the Kernal is what allows the rom to communicate with the CPU/hardware. A lot of ROMs will include a kernel, in the case of Jelly Bean i've seen both stock and franco's included. If you go to your phone info in settings right above where it tells you the android version it should list the kernal, and it'll say something like stock or franco.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The Stock Linaro kernel with Jelly Belly is giving me pretty damn good battery life compared to when I was running CM9 or Vicious JB with Franco (although Franco might have a better kernel for JB now). Image quality was better on CM9, though.

Yoshiya

I've been unable to use any mobile data since I upgraded my branded IncS to stock ICS using the HTC utility and a goldcard. Whenever I try to set a new APN it disappears, though only if I have changed the MNC to the required value (02 instead of the default 029). From what I've read it seems Android hides and disables any stored APNs if the MNC and MCC values differ from what it reads from the SIM - from this I've guessed that my old SIM, which I've used for at least three or four years, has never been properly readable but that the old carrier ROM had the correct values baked in. I'm planning to get a replacement SIM tomorrow - does it sound like I've got this right?

Apart from that ICS is a revelation. I don't hate the phone anymore and GPU performance has increased threefold - it seems Qualcomm's driver team woke up.

Edit: Fuck this was meant to go in the Android thread. Sorry!

Imoseyon released the final version of Leankernel for ICS, as he's now moving on to JB. The final stable version adds the higher 1.5ghz and 1.6ghz frequencies since it will no longer have experimental versions.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Is $28 on Amazon the cheapest I can get the extended battery for? Ebay is out of the question because of counterfeits, right?
I just bought one from Verizon's website for $24.99 with free two day shipping.

The reason that I had to buy one is because the extended battery I got with this phone yesterday is TERRIBLE. As in it has dropped 50% in 90 minutes on 3G terrible. I can only assume that the battery is bad. Quite the shock after using the Razr Maxx for the past six weeks.

rozay

Banned
Doesn't seem that hard to work it, the lmt launcher already has a lot of the necessary functions. It'd just be a matter of connecting the functions together.
Half of the magic of using one are the perfect, smooth animations between swipes. Functionality can be replicated forsure but it will take some effort to really get it working properly.

Top Bottom