• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Husker86

Since we only have a few days until the Gestapo gets us for contraband, I just wanted to say that getting rid of the onscreen keys and using quick control - like gestures(LMT Launcher) is the best root mod I've done to any android phone. Thanks to emily chu for the heads up.
I used LMT a week or so ago but now that I like quick controls on the browser I think they would conflict with each other since I liked the "pie" control for LMT.

SimleuqiR

Since we only have a few days until the Gestapo gets us for contraband, I just wanted to say that getting rid of the onscreen keys and using quick control - like gestures(LMT Launcher) is the best root mod I've done to any android phone. Thanks to emily chu for the heads up.

gesturesoverview.jpg

2ac9703d_spheres02.jpeg

So, what are the chances the OTA for 4.1 is pushed out this week?

kehs

Banned
I used LMT a week or so ago but now that I like quick controls on the browser I think they would conflict with each other since I liked the "pie" control for LMT.

I was having that problem too, but I relegated the left side for browser quick controls, and the right side for the navbar. Works pretty well.

gesturesoverview.jpg

2ac9703d_spheres02.jpeg

So, what are the chances the OTA for 4.1 is pushed out this week?

Haha, those are just ugly pictures of the gestures, the quick controls look much better.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6157483/Screenshot_2012-07-06-19-25-23.jpg

SimleuqiR

Haha, those are just ugly pictures of the gestures, the quick controls look much better.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6157483/Scr...6-19-25-23.jpg

How about this, for switching apps?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...-incredible-gesture-based-app-switching-tool/

Working on the principle that swiping gestures are naturally more satisfying (from a UX standpoint) than press-and-wait actions (a la Android's multitasking button), Switcher's functionality is entirely based on the utilization of universal swipe gestures to switch between running apps (or all apps).

Screenshot_2012-07-09-13-25-34.png

Gestures are the future. I'm sure Google will probably move gesture in that direction with Android.

kehs

Banned
The only thing I don't like about those solutions is the blind navigation. As in you're not really sure what's left/right unless you make a conscious effort to keep track of them. Tried it for a bit, but it feels a little weird.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Cool! I'm giving this a shot now. I'll be using the Pie. Took me a bit to get it going but it looks like it's working now. Too bad the Pie icons are fugly. And you also solved the Browser Quick Controls issue. Smart.

What are you going to do to activate Google Now if you can't swipe up from Home?

kehs

Banned
You can load your own icons apparently, it's somewhere in the xda thread, haven't done it, but I might load up the WP icons just to make brot grit his teeth a little.

Google Now is just the new version of Google Search app, so I set as long press ->app on the home slice, but you loose that cool little ring and glow effect =(.

Blackhead

Redarse
Cool! I'm giving this a shot now. I'll be using the Pie. Took me a bit to get it going but it looks like it's working now. Too bad the Pie icons are fugly. And you also solved the Browser Quick Controls issue. Smart.

What are you going to do to activate Google Now if you can't swipe up from Home?

Wait this works with Browser Quick Controls (and Wave Launcher?)? And it doesn't require installing a particular ROM?

You can load your own icons apparently, it's somewhere in the xda thread, haven't done it, but I might load up the WP icons just to make brot grit his teeth a little.
If you do that please share it in the Android customization thread.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Someone with more talent make some nicer icons. The ones included are absolute abominations and I have no idea how they became that bad.

Wait this works with Browser Quick Controls (and Wave Launcher?)? And it doesn't require installing a particular ROM?

It works with Quick Controls. I assume Wave Launcher, too, depending on where you launch. And no, I don't believe so. I'm running it on AOKP.

---

I am now using my entire Note screen instead of having the On Screen Buttons there. It's like I have a new, huger screen. Awesome.

Edit: Icons and widgets on the homescreen are now a pain. There's clearly a huge margin along my homescreen and it's not big enough for another slot for my icons. Balls. Anyone ever change the DPI of the Note?

Blackhead

Redarse
Someone with more talent make some nicer icons. The ones included are absolute abominations and I have no idea how they became that bad.

It works with Quick Controls. I assume Wave Launcher, too, depending on where you launch. And no, I don't believe so. I'm running it on AOKP.

---

I am now using my entire Note screen instead of having the On Screen Buttons there. It's like I have a new, huger screen. Awesome.

Edit: Icons and widgets on the homescreen are now a pain. There's clearly a huge margin along my homescreen and it's not big enough for another slot for my icons. Balls. Anyone ever change the DPI of the Note?

Wait why did you have onscreen buttons on your Note in the first place? Does this fix the 'hardware menu button' problem with the Note and other Samsung phones?

Bboy AJ

Wait why did you have onscreen buttons on your Note in the first place? Does this fix the 'hardware menu button' problem with the Note and other Samsung phones?

Because I hate capacitive buttons. They're disabled, both appearance wise and functionality wise. All you can see is the ugly home button and ugly Samsung logo on my Note. Other than that, a black slab. I also wouldn't have had the multitasking button without on screen buttons.

I don't know what the hardware menu button problem is. I've never had any issue whatsoever with my Menu button.

Blackhead

Redarse
Because I hate capacitive buttons. They're disabled, both appearance wise and functionality wise. All you can see is the ugly home button and ugly Samsung logo on my Note. Other than that, a black slab. I also wouldn't have had the multitasking button without on screen buttons.

I don't know what the hardware menu button problem is. I've never had any issue whatsoever with my Menu button.

Did you disable the capacitive buttons with a ROM or app (is what I'm asking)?

thespot84

That guy's disclaimer is unintentionally hilarious

ALSO: If i want to get rid of homescreen keys and use the quick controls all I need is full screen toggle + pie right?

kinggroin

Banned

---

Change your launched to either apex or nova. You can change margins and add/remove rows/columns. Up to 7 I believe.

kehs

Banned

Those are the stock ICS ones, I don't mind them, but it's been proven I have horrible taste already.

That guy's disclaimer is unintentionally hilarious

ALSO: If i want to get rid of homescreen keys and use the quick controls all I need is full screen toggle + pie right?

Yup, and root of course.

Bboy AJ

Change your launched to either apex or nova. You can change margins and add/remove rows/columns. Up to 7 I believe.
Baller, thanks.

Those are the stock ICS ones, I don't mind them, but it's been proven I have horrible taste already.

They are the stock ones but they just look so ugly with this implementation.

---

Alright, I found the first problem with the Pie. A Menu button doesn't pop up when an app uses the Menu button. On Screen Keys would have the three dots pop up. This doesn't. How do you do it without always having the Menu on the Pie?

thespot84

Yup, and root of course.

cool.

Has anyone upgraded to JellyBelly 2.5? I'm on 2.1 and I really don't want to wipe if i don't have to. Was curious what others have done.

kehs

Banned
Alright, I found the first problem with the Pie. A Menu button doesn't pop up when an app uses the Menu button. On Screen Keys would have the three dots pop up. This doesn't. How do you do it without always having the Menu on the Pie?

That's the one thing I didn't like at first, but then I realized the menu is always in the same place now. I have menu setup to pop up on back long press. It's actually better for me because I didn't really like the menu options at the top right in ICS apps.

There's just no visual indication of when there's menu options like with hardware keys. =/ I'm probably gonna get in touch with the dev and see if he can tap into the OS so it can be interactive.

The latest click bait article on the Verge is great. Two editors have a fake argument about why the Generic Nexus is(n't) the best Android phone.

Is the Galaxy Nexus still the best Android phone?

For some, the appeal of "stock Android" isn't enough to keep the Galaxy Nexus number one anymore

Ping / Counterping is a special feature where editors of The Verge debate issues from the world of technology head-to-head, no holds barred.

When Google and Samsung announced the Galaxy Nexus late last year, its greatness in the Android landscape was difficult to dispute: Ice Cream Sandwich was a fantastic update, and the Galaxy Nexus was the only device to run it for a long time.

But what about now? HTC, Samsung, and LG have come to the table with newer, empirically better hardware running Android 4.0 in the months since. Is the Nexus phone's early update to Jelly Bean enough to keep it at the top of the heap? Vlad and Chris sound off.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/9/3146548/galaxy-nexus-jelly-bean-android-ping-counterping

Cipherr

The latest click bait article on the Verge is great. Two editors have a fake argument about why the Generic Nexus is(n't) the best Android phone.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/9/3146548/galaxy-nexus-jelly-bean-android-ping-counterping

I personally like the discussion. I really think that these days the benefit of a Nexus device doesnt hold enough weight to put the phone above the likes of the OneX and S3 anymore. This pretty much sums it up:

Vlad holds a 2011 view of the Android industry. Problem is, it's 2012

Yeah, not having stock Android left you with a shit piece of hardware that was janky, slow, unreliable, and all around like a freaking beta back in the day. Pretending like that didn't change massively with 4.0 doesn't fool anyone who has actually used the phones. I'm not going to act like a fucking horizontal scrolling task manager in Sense 4 assaults my sensibilities to the point that I would trade it for the stock version at the expense of the Micro SD slot, Second to none screen, and Superior camera of the HTC EVO LTE.

C'mon now give me a break.... there's a lot more to a phone than just the UI. And there are levels of diminishing returns when it comes to UX. The Skins aren't these massively overbearing shitacular non working collages of incompetence anymore. They work great as daily drivers. There's a minor annoyance here and there, but dont get me started on the Nexus's minor annoyances... IMO the only way the Nexus can enter that fight is if you consider the value of getting one for $349 off contract. That's what puts the phone into the fight, not the fact that its going to get JB asap. I couldn't give two shits about talking to my phone, or Google Now creeping me out by telling me what Im about to do.

Come at me Best Galaxy GAF.

rozay

Banned
I personally like the discussion. I really think that these days the benefit of a Nexus device doesnt hold enough weight to put the phone above the likes of the OneX and S3 anymore. This pretty much sums it up:

Yeah, not having stock Android left you with a shit piece of hardware that was janky, slow, unreliable, and all around like a freaking beta. Pretending like that didn't change massively with 4.0 doesn't fool anyone who has actually used the phones. I'm not going to act like a fucking horizontal scrolling task manager in Sense 4 assaults my sensibilities to the point that I would trade it for the stock version at the expense of the Micro SD slot, Second to none screen, and Superior camera of the HTC EVO LTE.

C'mon now give me a break.... there's a lot more to a phone than just the UI. And there are levels of diminishing returns when it comes to UX. The Skins aren't these massively overbearing shitacular non working collages of incompetence anymore. They work great as daily drivers. There's a minor annoyance here and there, but dont get me started on the Nexus's minor annoyances... IMO the only way the Nexus can enter that fight is if you consider the value of getting one for $349 off contract. That's what puts the phone into the fight, not the fact that its going to get JB asap. I couldn't give two shits about talking to my phone, or Google Now creeping me out by telling me what Im about to do.

Come at me Best Galaxy GAF.
Did you end up getting an EVO or an S3? If the former, how do you like it?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hardware buttons are gross and run counter to the Path of Holo that Duarte hath bestowed upon us mortals. Contradict it at your soul's own peril.

Bboy AJ

Alright, I removed LMT already. The Menu button issue is ridiculous and renders it unusable.

Hardware buttons are gross and run counter to the Path of Holo that Duarte hath bestowed upon us mortals. Contradict it at your soul's own peril.

I completely agree. Matias did a great job with the button-less N9, when he was still working RIM. It's a shame Dell screwed them over with the buyout.

kehs

Banned
Alright, I removed LMT already. The Menu button issue is ridiculous and renders it unusable.

It's been like forty minutes! Give it a shot, it's not that bad. Most of the apps I use are already using the action bar, so the overflow menu show there are more options anyway. As people move to that there's less guesswork as to whether you can activate the menu or not.

Cipherr

Did you end up getting an EVO or an S3? If the former, how do you like it?

rudywhatever.png

Neither:

P8WR5.png

Mulled it over and landed on the GN due to the tremendous value the lower costs offers
billsmugazz.png

awalkerhuh.png
Why you doing me like that tho? That was a good chance for a nice argument! I still think, taking the costs out of the equation that the OneX and S3 are better devices though :D

Cipherr

You don't say...

:D I don't know, I just assumed thats the angle they were taking it from for the majority of the article. I hardly see people throw that cost qualifier in the mix, I normally just see people arguing TW and Sense versus Vanilla. With 4.0 and the new direction TW and Sense took this gen, Vanilla is worth a lot less to me now than before. Still has value obviously, but just not nearly as much.

kehs

Banned
Galaxy Nexus has things like barometers and magnometers built in for cool shit like this:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/09/...nces-in-the-geomagnetic-force-to-map-indoors/

I'll always be a nexus head because they always include obscure things like that way ahead of time. Granted, not everything takes off, but it's cool to have those things available. Other mfgs hedge their bets on experimental stuff (see nfc in the US
LLShC.gif
)

OS UI has never really been my main draw so I guess I don't see the draw in skins.

----

Verizon & Sprint dudes, they just put up 4.1 binaries for CDMA/LTE you might just get AOSP support.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Just got the phone a few hours ago and I am absolutely loving it. Now the question is to wait for JB or do it myself. If anyone can chime how easy is it to do?

TTOOLL

question: If I buy a Nexus right now could I put JB in it direct from Google or do I need to wait for some kind of port/release from the xda forum? I'm looking for the Vanilla experience of JB.

thanks in advance!

zedge

Just got the phone a few hours ago and I am absolutely loving it. Now the question is to wait for JB or do it myself. If anyone can chime how easy is it to do?

Congrats! I am waiting for official release, although I did go through the steps to change my phone from yakuxx to yakju. Get updates from Google rather than Samsung. :D

Cudder

question: If I buy a Nexus right now could I put JB in it direct from Google or do I need to wait for some kind of port/release from the xda forum? I'm looking for the Vanilla experience of JB.

thanks in advance!
If you buy it from the Play store it will have Jelly Bean already.

malyce

Are you gonna go the square route and keep everything stock? or are you gonna come join us hooligans at ROM city?

TTOOLL

If you buy it from the Play store it will have Jelly Bean already.

Actually I'm in Brazil. Play Store doesn't sell it here. We have a Galaxy X, which in terms of hardware is the Nexus. The name is different for unknown reasons. So, will I have to wait for Samsung to update it? I imagine I could root it and then install the Vanilla JB, right?

Futureman

I'm reading Jean-Baptiste Queru on the Google groups...

he's saying:

"As for AOSP on the VZW Galaxy Nexus, it essentially matches the GSM version now. "

"It's always been possible to create custom builds for the VZW Galaxy
Nexus (we've always distributed all the files we could), but from this
point you can expect that they'll be easier to develop and that
they'll work better in Jelly Bean than they did in Ice Cream Sandwich. "

what exactly does this mean? Safer and easier to flash JB onto my VZW GNex?

kind of just wanted to leave it alone and let Verizon update my phone, but not if it's not going to come until September or something ridiculous like that.

Top Bottom