• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What's this ROM city you speak of?

52% of the country is unlocked. That's a market that's been dominated by carriers. Let's take some of that market. I call it "ROM City."

It's, like, "Hey, you want to tether" "Yeah, I don't have carrier restrictions" I call it "ROM City."

How do we filter out those below 4.0? We don't let them in. This goes for the guys, too. Because sometimes the guys are tapped out. But check your lease, man. Because you're living in Fuck City!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's been like forty minutes! Give it a shot, it's not that bad. Most of the apps I use are already using the action bar, so the overflow menu show there are more options anyway. As people move to that there's less guesswork as to whether you can activate the menu or not.
A lot of apps I use have the overflow Menu bar. Even Google Play has it to access My Apps. Once the dev figures this out, I'm back in. Until then. Someone keep me updated.

YES

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I'm reading Jean-Baptiste Queru on the Google groups...

he's saying:

"As for AOSP on the VZW Galaxy Nexus, it essentially matches the GSM version now. "

"It's always been possible to create custom builds for the VZW Galaxy
Nexus (we've always distributed all the files we could), but from this
point you can expect that they'll be easier to develop and that
they'll work better in Jelly Bean than they did in Ice Cream Sandwich. "

what exactly does this mean? Safer and easier to flash JB onto my VZW GNex?

kind of just wanted to leave it alone and let Verizon update my phone, but not if it's not going to come until September or something ridiculous like that.
Probably means we'll get good AOSP ROMs quicker than usual. It won't be any safer than flashing any other ROM, though.

Impossible to predict what Verizon will do. They probably won't get an update out fast.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
52% of the country is unlocked. That's a market that's been dominated by carriers. Let's take some of that market. I call it "ROM City."

It's, like, "Hey, you want to tether" "Yeah, I don't have carrier restrictions" I call it "ROM City."

How do we filter out those below 4.0? We don't let them in. This goes for the guys, too. Because sometimes the guys are tapped out. But check your lease, man. Because you're living in Fuck City!

You stole my fricking joke!! >:|

rozay

Banned
Isn't the main issue with verizon's slow updates that everyone has to wait for them for the radio updates? I'd assume 4.1 functions identically on both versions aside from that.

WHY IS COCO BANNED AGAIN?!?!
lmao at blackace laying the smack on him

on the bright side, the boards will be free of WP launcher...until his return

Pachimari

Hmm.. I haven't used my new Galaxy Nexus for some days, primarily because, I find the keyboard, BiteSMS and size of my iPhone 4 to be better for me. I'll try exchange the SIM cards and use the Nexus as my primary for the rest of the week - I just have to install that screen protector ugh.

DarkFlow

Banned
Anyone know of any ear buds with in line controls like volume and skip? I know of the kilpsch s4a but that has one button and needs a app. I just want some that plug in and work and sound good. Also why is this such a problem for android, iPhone has had this since forever.

rozay

Banned
Hmm.. I haven't used my new Galaxy Nexus for some days, primarily because, I find the keyboard, BiteSMS and size of my iPhone 4 to be better for me. I'll try exchange the SIM cards and use the Nexus as my primary for the rest of the week - I just have to install that screen protector ugh.
You will continually think about all the things the iPhone does better until you put it away and use the nexus for a week or two without going back. It's not easy to really understand the ins and outs of a platform and device if you just toy with it.

Maybe you'll find the iPhone works better for you at the end, but you might as well try since you have a nexus.

Anyone know of any ear buds with in line controls like volume and skip? I know of the kilpsch s4a but that has one button and needs a app. I just want some that plug in and work and sound good. Also why is this such a problem for android, iPhone has had this since forever.

My Bose MIE2i works flawlessly. I know Bose gets a bad rap but hey...
edit: sorry, volume doesn't actually work, at least not in JB.

Blackhead

Redarse

there are BiteSMS equivalents on Android (even before taking into account the nifty notification improvements in Jelly Bean) and there are much better keyboards you can install. I guess you're under no pressure to look for them since you can just pop the sim out anything you think something is missing... take a leap and sell the iPhone ;)

Pachimari

You will continually think about all the things the iPhone does better until you put it away and use the nexus for a week or two without going back. It's not easy to really understand the ins and outs of a platform and device if you just toy with it.

Maybe you'll find the iPhone works better for you at the end, but you might as well try since you have a nexus.
Yeah, that's basically what I said. I have now exchanged the SIM cards and installed a screen protector which I am not impressed by unfortunately. I am now looking to use my Galaxy Nexus outside as well.

there are BiteSMS equivalents on Android (even before taking into account the nifty notification improvements in Jelly Bean) and there are much better keyboards you can install. I guess you're under no pressure to look for them since you can just pop the sim out anything you think something is missing... take a leap and sell the iPhone ;)
I tried SwiftKey3 and didn't like it but I guess I'll get used to the stock keyboard.

I have had the BiteSMS equal-ant installed on my Nexus since the first day but I'm not impressed. I don't know how to make it so, that I can press the volume button and then click the screen to make a Quick Compose - I think it's lacking that feature on Android.

Add to that, that all the RSS apps are a chore, and seeing that SMS and RSS are the two most important features of my iPhone, it'll get hard to adjust to my Galaxy Nexus but I'm definitely not giving up on it - now I'll bring it with me outside as well.

Yeah, that's basically what I said. I have now exchanged the SIM cards and installed a screen protector which I am not impressed by unfortunately. I am now looking to use my Galaxy Nexus outside as well.

I tried SwiftKey3 and didn't like it but I guess I'll get used to the stock keyboard.

I have had the BiteSMS equal-ant installed on my Nexus since the first day but I'm not impressed. I don't know how to make it so, that I can press the volume button and then click the screen to make a Quick Compose - I think it's lacking that feature on Android.

Add to that, that all the RSS apps are a chore, and seeing that SMS and RSS are the two most important features of my iPhone, it'll get hard to adjust to my Galaxy Nexus but I'm definitely not giving up on it - now I'll bring it with me outside as well.

how long did you use Swiftkey for?

SimleuqiR

original.jpg

Frustrated by Android Fragmentation? Just Buy the Nexus Already

Blackhead

Redarse
To be fair, not counting features, the iPhone keyboard is pretty freaking brilliant. I think the spacing and sticky logic help a LOT.

Not really, especially on more recent iOS firmwares where Apple gimped the prediction logic a bit—there have been complaints in the Apple threads. On Android I prefer Swype (for small screens) and A.I. Type (for larger screens) to Apple's iPhone keyboard.

Which BiteSMS equal-ant did you try? Quickcompose is missing you say

A4WbR.png

Does that look familiar? It's actually from chompSMS on Android, not bitesms

My point is: Reeder is not preinstalled on iPhones. BiteSMS is not a native capability of the iPhone. You have to jailbreak, search around, test a couple of alternatives, search the communities (or Gaf threads) before you found that. That knowledge didn't just fall into your lap a few days after buying your first iPhone. Don't get me wrong; there is a clear advantage to having intimidate knowledge and experience with one platform over another and that's a good enough reason to stick with your iPhone. Just don't assume another platform can't do something, or does it wrong, just because it's not exactly
like the way you've become used to.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
To be fair, not counting features, the iPhone keyboard is pretty freaking brilliant. I think the spacing and sticky logic help a LOT.
ICS keyboard is just as good and I hear JB is an improvement over ICS.

kinggroin

Banned

I still prefer the spacing of the ios one.

If I could increase the height of the JB keyboard just a tad, and bring the keys in towards the center just a hair more, it would be perfect for me.

As it is, I make more mistakes with it when typing
words that require letters on the very edge of it.

And grey, I'll give that keyboard a shot.

snacknuts

we all knew her
For anyone using JB: if you go into the Dialer settings, there is an option at the bottom for "Use Internet calling." The options are:

-For all calls when data network is available
-Only for Internet calls (this is selected by default)
-Ask for each call

Any idea what this option is for? It seems like it would be for built-in VOIP, but I would think it would have to be tied to some kind of app or service.

kinggroin

Banned
For anyone using JB: if you go into the Dialer settings, there is an option at the bottom for "Use Internet calling." The options are:

-For all calls when data network is available
-Only for Internet calls (this is selected by default)
-Ask for each call

Any idea what this option is for? It seems like it would be for built-in VOIP, but I would think it would have to be tied to some kind of app or service.

Yeah. If you have a Google voice number, you can use it for data calls.

Hmm, I noticed the Samsung Nexus is 50 dollar for a re-up on amazon wireless with a renewal on a family plan contract. now I just need to figure out exactly what kind of data they need from me/my wife (she's the plan head since she gets a discount through her job), as my info/pin is just throwing errors.

womp

Hmm, I noticed the Samsung Nexus is 50 dollar for a re-up on amazon wireless with a renewal on a family plan contract. now I just need to figure out exactly what kind of data they need from me/my wife (she's the plan head since she gets a discount through her job), as my info/pin is just throwing errors.

Man, that's crazy...Just dropped $149 on it last month to get my wife upgraded before the new share plans went into effect on Verizon. Oh well, that is a great deal!

kinggroin

Banned
Whaaaaat?! Really? I wonder why Googling "jelly bean internet calling" didn't yield anything that seemed relevant. (My search was admittedly somewhat cursory.)

Hmmm playing around with it a bit... it doesn't seem to be what I thought. Now, something like talkatone or grooveip, this will let you do what I said earlier.

Patriots7

I would have to agree with the others. While the ICS keyboard is pretty good, I don't know what it is about iOS, but I consistently make errors that I never did with any of my iPhone's, specifically when texting quickly. It's weird because I have large hands, and always felt the iPhone's keyboard was too tiny, but pretty much never made mistakes.

Another reason for the supremacy of iOS keyboard is the fact that in landscape mode, Android's keyboard takes up the whole screen which is incredibly annoying. Is it a patent Apple has?

Pachimari

how long did you use Swiftkey for?

2 days I guess but I like the stock Jelly Bean keyboard more, also design wise.

By the way, I had my Nexus out with me for the first time and it was cool it told me, that it would take me 5 minutes (even though it would take me 20 minutes) to get home from the mall I were at, and that it said traffic were light at 2 specific street. But still, it were way off the mark with how many minutes it would take me to get home. Why is that?

Not really, especially on more recent iOS firmwares where Apple gimped the prediction logic a bit—there have been complaints in the Apple threads. On Android I prefer Swype (for small screens) and A.I. Type (for larger screens) to Apple's iPhone keyboard.

Which BiteSMS equal-ant did you try? Quickcompose is missing you say

A4WbR.png

Does that look familiar? It's actually from chompSMS on Android, not bitesms

My point is: Reeder is not preinstalled on iPhones. BiteSMS is not a native capability of the iPhone. You have to jailbreak, search around, test a couple of alternatives, search the communities (or Gaf threads) before you found that. That knowledge didn't just fall into your lap a few days after buying your first iPhone. Don't get me wrong; there is a clear advantage to having intimidate knowledge and experience with one platform over another and that's a good enough reason to stick with your iPhone. Just don't assume another platform can't do something, or does it wrong, just because it's not exactly
like the way you've become used to.
So far I disagree with the iPhone keyboard not being better, it's magnificent and always guess the right words for me.

Anyway, I can't see your picture? And I'm using ChompSMS, it looks great, but I just don't know how to use Quick Compose by holding in the Camera or Search button, where are those? =/

And I never ever said Galaxy Nexus did anything wrong, you're misunderstanding me here. It's just, there's no RSS app that's as great as Reeder on iOS. There's always more button presses on the RSS apps I have tried on Android compared to Reeder on iOS.

PS: I love my Galaxy Nexus and Android, but RSS and SMS keeps being troublesome for me on my Android device... so far. By the way, SMS'ing from my MacBook Air through the Galaxy Nexus is awesome.

HeySeuss

Had to replace my first Nexus due to a wifi issue and had the replacement for about a week now. For some reason over the last 2 days my battery life(have the extended) has dramatically dropped. Today for example I took it off the charger at 100% and 3 hours later I'm at 57%. My stay awake is at 2 hours and 54 minutes so something is running and won't time out. I checked Facebook once and sent about 10 texts during the 3 hours.

Is there a good way to pinpoint which app is to blame? I've checked my running apps and nothing seems out of the norm.

Bboy AJ

Had to replace my first Nexus due to a wifi issue and had the replacement for about a week now. For some reason over the last 2 days my battery life(have the extended) has dramatically dropped. Today for example I took it off the charger at 100% and 3 hours later I'm at 57%. My stay awake is at 2 hours and 54 minutes so something is running and won't time out. I checked Facebook once and sent about 10 texts during the 3 hours.

Is there a good way to pinpoint which app is to blame? I've checked my running apps and nothing seems out of the norm.
Check out CPU Spy. Or extended battery stats.

It's probably Facebook.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
My Droid X is getting long in the tooth and is slightly broken. I was looking for a non-$200 ICS phone. Nexus (Verizon) for $49 from Amazon looks like a good deal. Is this a good or bad idea?

Bboy AJ

My Droid X is getting long in the tooth and is slightly broken. I was looking for a non-$200 ICS phone. Nexus (Verizon) for $49 from Amazon looks like a good deal. Is this a good or bad idea?

Good idea but I'd wait until the Fall if I were you and don't mind spending a bit more. There's also the GS3 if you like.

Pachimari

By the way, is it possible to connect a Dual Shock 3 (PS3 controller) or Xbox 360 controller to my Galaxy Nexus and control my games that way? If so, is it done with an app or do I need to do something else?

HeySeuss

Check out CPU Spy. Or extended battery stats.

It's probably Facebook.

I downloaded CPU spy but the only thing I can tell is that my phone wasn't going into deep sleep. So I found an app that seemed to be the problem. But what does the 1200, 700, and the 350 MHz represent? Not really sure what that's supposed to tell me. 700 MHz is 60% of the last hour and 15 minutes.

I downloaded CPU spy but the only thing I can tell is that my phone wasn't going into deep sleep. So I found an app that seemed to be the problem. But what does the 1200, 700, and the 350 MHz represent? Not really sure what that's supposed to tell me. 700 MHz is 60% of the last hour and 15 minutes.

The speed at which your cpu is running.

kinggroin

Banned

That means for that time, your phone wasn't deep sleeping.

Top Bottom