• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
My Droid X is getting long in the tooth and is slightly broken. I was looking for a non-$200 ICS phone. Nexus (Verizon) for $49 from Amazon looks like a good deal. Is this a good or bad idea?
It's good! It's a stylish, solid phone and has plenty of power. Jellybean is very smooth on it. Its only weakness in my opinion is the one day of battery, but I don't mind it because I have plenty of time in my day near a plug.

malyce

I downloaded CPU spy but the only thing I can tell is that my phone wasn't going into deep sleep. So I found an app that seemed to be the problem. But what does the 1200, 700, and the 350 MHz represent? Not really sure what that's supposed to tell me. 700 MHz is 60% of the last hour and 15 minutes.

Is your phone rooted? If so, get better battery stats from here. Reset the timers and let the phone sit for ~2 hours, then post a screenshot of your partial wakelocks.

HeySeuss

in your battery stats, what processes are listed as using your battery?
Screen 39%
Android OS 37%
Phone idle 7%
Cell standby 6%
Browser 4%
Voice calls 3%
Android system 2%

Would take and post a screenshot but I'm at work.

Is your phone rooted? If so, get better battery stats from here. Reset the timers and let the phone sit for ~2 hours, then post a screenshot of your partial wakelocks.

Haven't rooted it yet.

Nekrono

If you’ve got a Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ device, you will receive a prompt alerting you to the update over the next several days. Up next for Jelly Bean: all Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Motorola Xoom and of course, Nexus 7, which will ship with Jelly Bean later this month.

Fantastic news!!! Can't wait for my brand new Nexus arriving next monday.

GatorBait

I'm so ready to pull the trigger and get myself a Nexus phone. Problem is, I want to stay on Verizon and I can't trust them to get JB pushed to phones in a timely manner. Apparently, it took 4-5 months for them to push out the ICS 4.04 update.

I guess the bright side is that I can continue to keep my eyes and ears out for news of a new Nexus phone in Q4 while I monitor how Verizon handles the JB update. (And to get out ahead of the argument: I want to avoid having to go through the "trouble" of rootin' 'n' romin'.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm so ready to pull the trigger and get myself a Nexus phone. Problem is, I want to stay on Verizon and I can't trust them to get JB pushed to phones in a timely manner. Apparently, it took 4-5 months for them to push out the ICS 4.04 update.

I guess the bright side is that I can continue to keep my eyes and ears out for news of a new Nexus phone in Q4 while I monitor how Verizon handles the JB update. (And to get out ahead of the argument: I want to avoid having to go through the "trouble" of rootin' 'n' romin'.)

Apparently the Verizon version was just inaugurated into the AOSP Nexus family, meaning that starting with Jelly Bean it should be in lock-step with the rest of the Nexii. In any case, I highly doubt anything like the 4.0.4 fiasco will happen again, and even if it does, the Verizon GN is still #2 in update speed and is head and shoulders above every other handset except the GN HSPA+.

malyce

Screen 39%
Android OS 37%
Phone idle 7%
Cell standby 6%
Browser 4%
Voice calls 3%
Android system 2%

Would take and post a screenshot but I'm at work.

Haven't rooted it yet.

Just download the imgur app from google play. You're gonna have to root if you want to run BBS.

Anyone on the dev preview of Jelly Bean...firstly fuck you :p, secondly here's your OTA link to update to final version of Jelly Bean http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-takju-JRO03C-from-JRN84D.edfff6d3.zip

GBBcv.jpg

GatorBait

Apparently the Verizon version was just inaugurated into the AOSP Nexus family, meaning that starting with Jelly Bean it should be in lock-step with the rest of the Nexii. In any case, I highly doubt anything like the 4.0.4 fiasco will happen again, and even if it does, the Verizon GN is still #2 in update speed and is head and shoulders above every other handset except the GN HSPA+.

I have my fingers crossed that Verizon (re-?)inauguration into the AOSP means a speedy JB update, but I am not holding my breath at this point. I would love to be proven wrong in my apprehension, though.

Piano

Banned
So is there a rock solid, stable AOSP rom for Verizon Nexus yet?

Latest version of Jelly Belly seems to have a million issues.

And what kernel should I use? Keep on with leankernel?

snacknuts

we all knew her
So is there a rock solid, stable AOSP rom for Verizon Nexus yet?

Latest version of Jelly Belly seems to have a million issues.

And what kernel should I use? Keep on with leankernel?

Really? I'm running 2.6 and haven't noticed any problems. I'm using whatever kernel it comes with by default. But to answer your question, I haven't seen an AOSP ROM that's 100% good to go yet.

Piano

Banned
The latest version of Jelly Belly (3.0) switched to AOSP as a base.
haduofuwer I'm tired of waiting but want to make sure I'm on a rock solid, stable AOSP rom with root. And then give AOKP a few months to switch to JB.

JoeFu

Banned
Looks like our main man coco was the dude to break it at XDA. Hope he isn't banned here too long.

Also thanks for the links! Flashed it via temp CWM.

Still don't like how you have to use other things to flash updates unlike the N1

DXPett1

Looks like our main man coco was the dude to break it at XDA. Hope he isn't banned here too long.

Still don't like how you have to use other things to flash updates unlike the N1

I was wondering that myself... props to Coco

Also agree, I miss the stock recovery in the N1

rozay

Banned

wow

CocoCopernicus

I hope that isn't a bad sign regarding his unban date..

<--also, join the movement guys

kehs

Banned
It's cool guys, I made bail

Appreciate the support rozay, =*)

4.1.1 is blazing fast btw, even more so than the I/O build.

kehs

Banned
How exactly do you apply this? I downloaded and unzipped it.

If you have root and are still on the stock recovery, just copy it into the cache folder. No need to unzip. Reboot and it'll install it.

If you have root and CWM installed, just install it from there through "pick from sd card" and turn off signature verification.

If you don't have root, just keep hitting refresh.

thespot84

Really? I'm running 2.6 and haven't noticed any problems. I'm using whatever kernel it comes with by default. But to answer your question, I haven't seen an AOSP ROM that's 100% good to go yet.

Me too, and after reading the thread I'll probably wait for rooted VZW stock instead of upgrading to 3.0 or 3.1

DXPett1

How exactly do you apply this? I downloaded and unzipped it.

[REF] [HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Official Google OTA update URLs -- Latest: JRO03C 4.1.1

Method 1 - CWM recovery installed
1) Download the correct update for your build on to your computer;
2) Open the archive and delete the recovery folder;
3) Copy the file to /sdcard on your device;
4) Reboot into CWM;
5) Select "install zip from sdcard";
6) Select "choose zip from sdcard";
7) Select the update the you just copied to your device;
8) Wait until it completes. Reboot. Done.

Method 2 - Stock recovery installed, Unlocked bootloader
1) Download the correct update for your build on to your computer;
2) Copy the file to /sdcard on your device;
3) Download CWM from here and place it on your computer in the same directory as your fastboot binary. For CDMA/LTE devices, use this version;
4) Rename the CWM image to cwm.img
5) Reboot into fastboot mode;
6) Open a command prompt in the same directory;
7) Type fastboot devices to make sure your device is recognized;
8) Type fastboot boot cwm.img
9) Select "install zip from sdcard";
10) Select "choose zip from sdcard";
11) Select the update the you just copied to your device;
12) Wait until it completes. Reboot. Done.

Method 3a - Stock recovery installed, Locked bootloader, with root;
1) Download the correct update for your build and place it in /sdcard;
2) Open a command prompt in the same directory as your ADB binary;
3) Type adb devices to make sure that your device is recognized;
4) Type adb shell
5) Type su
6) Type cat /sdcard/name-of-zip-here.zip > /cache/name-of-zip-here.zip
7) Type exit
8) Type exit
9) Reboot into recovery;
10) Hold the volume up key and press the power button;
11) Select apply update or whatever the menu item is (I don't have a stock recovery installed, but it should be easy to identify);
12) Wait until it completes. Reboot. Done.

Method 3b - Stock recovery installed, Locked bootloader, with root (use this method only if you have to -- use 3a or 3c first);
1) Download the correct update for your build and place it in /sdcard;
2) Download CWM from here (CDMA/LTE devices, use this version) and place it in /sdcard;
3) Rename the CWM image to cwm.img;
4) Open a command prompt in the same directory as your ADB binary;
5) Type adb devices to make sure that your device is recognized;
6) Type adb shell
8) Type su
9) Type dd if=/data/media/cwm.img of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/recovery
10) Type exit
11) Type exit
12) Reboot into recovery;
13) Select "install zip from sdcard";
14) Select "choose zip from sdcard";
15) Select the update the you just copied to your device;
16) Wait until it completes. Reboot. Done.

Method 3c - Stock recovery installed, Locked bootloader, with root;
1) Install ROM Manager from the market;
2) Flash CWM using ROM Manager;
3) Reboot into CWM;
4) Select "install zip from sdcard";
5) Select "choose zip from sdcard";
6) Select the update the you just copied to your device;
7) Wait until it completes. Reboot. Done.

Method 4 - Stock recovery installed, Locked bootloader, no root;

You need to either: 1) root or 2) unlock your bootloader or 3) wait until you get the update pushed to you OTA

reKon

Banned
I'm running 4.1 on my Verizon galaxy nexus now, nbd guys. Seriously though so far its been great. Jellybean 3.1 + lean kernel is unbeatable. Everything actually feels a bit faster now that it's source, or it's just me going crazy

Pachimari

I took my Galaxy Nexus for a ride in the car for the first time and I absolutely love, that it's the same female voice of Google Now that is integrated in Navigation. But she totally sent me in the wrong direction all of the time on my first route, keeping sending me to the right, when I were supposed to go left etc. On my way home, it was the correct way, until at the last street, when it wanted to sent me through the wrong turn. But I guess my GPS is working correctly after flashing, rooting and installing JB 4.1.

DXPett1

Korean on Engadget supposedly has a Yakju and got the OTA + Installed. Trying to get him to root and cat the logs for the OTA link now.

Sooooo close guys

I am finally back on stock Jelly Bean 4.1 and patiently waiting for the 4.1.1 OTA. All the custom ROMs so far are a waste of time.

I was toying with the idea of going back to the iPhone for the time being but for some reason I couldn't do it. Weird how that works.

Zeppu

I am finally back on stock Jelly Bean 4.1 and patiently waiting for the 4.1.1 OTA. All the custom ROMs so far are a waste of time.

I was toying with the idea of going back to the iPhone for the time being but for some reason I couldn't do it. Weird how that works.

Update anxiety.

You'll probably be on the iPhone and with no thought of switching to android a couple of weeks before iOS6 hits.

Update anxiety.

You'll probably be on the iPhone and with no thought of switching to android a couple of weeks before iOS6 hits.

Dude, are you kidding me? :D I've been running iOS 6 for months now. I really like it, but I can't be arsed to have that shitty sound quality in my car again. The Tuna just sounds better and at the moment that's all I really care about. Also Jelly Bean looks really cool.

Top Bottom